+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Postdoctoral fellowship LMIA exempt working permit

Xtreme Innovations

Star Member
May 3, 2017
hi fellows,
From Italy, I also applied online for Postdoc WP, on Oct. 08, for my spouse OWP, and dependent child visitor Visa.
Done with biometrics, current status: completed.
Medical: Not Required (as I have not visited designated countries and stayed for +6 months in last 5 years)
Later on Oct.12, I received letter to send our italian residence permits to Rome Embassy, I did on same day.
I am on IP2, as per Background status.
After 12th Oct, so far no further updates.
I suppose next step is PPR...normally how much time it takes?

One more thing: Our italian residence permits are expiring by end-of-November, but we also applied for renewal, which is in-progress. I sent LoE to Rome Embassy along with permits, do you think it would be a problem?

Kindly share your experience, I am a bit skeptical about no updates so far, after sending our Italian residence permits to Rome Embassy.
Hello jojee, i did not have to submit biometrics so I am not sure if that affects the timing of the process, and my background status did not get any IP2, it was just written i do not need one, are you using an express entry profile? i got request for passport for visa which will permit me get a work permit when I arrive..based on what you have written it seems to me that a decision should be made about your case soon....

Reactions: jojee2k6

jojee2k6

Sep 6, 2016
Hello jojee, i did not have to submit biometrics so I am not sure if that affects the timing of the process, and my background status did not get any IP2, it was just written i do not need one, are you using an express entry profile? i got request for passport for visa which will permit me get a work permit when I arrive..based on what you have written it seems to me that a decision should be made about your case soon....
Firstly thanks for the response.
Well, I received PostDoc offer from UoT, they applied for LMIA exemption, and shared with me employment #, then I pursued online application. Besides that, I am already in EE pool with CRS <400 (struggled already enough with IELTS money-making game, dilemma). But, this time, I created separate application (for me as FSW-O LMIA Exempted WP; Spouse: Open WP; Child: Visitor Visa), in together I submitted applications, and paid online fee. timeline is as under:
  • Oct 8: AoR;
  • Oct 9: Biometrics Instruction Letter (BIL) Received;
  • Oct 10: Biometrics status = Completed (we went to CVAC Rome, and performed biometrics, immediately status changed); BG: IP1.
  • Oct 11-12: BG=IP2, Received instruction letter from CIC (Your action Required), I had to submit Italian Residence Permits of family, as my birth country is PAK, but living currently in ITA, hence they needed valid residency status of ITA, as instructed forwarded copies by email to Canadian Embassy in Rome;
  • AS-IS: Since 12 Oct, BG=IP2; Biometrics=Completed; App status: (Your Action Required); I suppose after IP2 next step is PPR, and I believe this delay might be caused from Canadian Embassy in Rome, perhaps they didn't yet updated CIC about our valid residence permits, therefore, CIC status is not updated.
  • Another strange thing, I noticed, when I received letter from CIC about submitting italian residence permit, it was written there:

This is in reference to your application for permanent residence in Canada. In order for us to continue the processing of your application, we require the following documents:
 > Client Information: Receipt of information from client Please provide copies of the residence permits in Italy for you and your family. This must be received at this office by: 2017/11/11

In fact, it's not PR application, but WP application, although on letter head WP Reference # and UCI # were mentioned, not EE profile (I think it's auto-generated letter, system bug, standard wording).

So, what do you think, would be next step after IP2, would it be PPR? and what could cause such delay? normally how many days IP2 takes? should I contact embassy in Rome or CIC? Better to wait?

Thanks in advance!

Xtreme Innovations

Star Member
May 3, 2017
Firstly thanks for the response.
Well, I received PostDoc offer from UoT, they applied for LMIA exemption, and shared with me employment #, then I pursued online application. Besides that, I am already in EE pool with CRS <400 (struggled already enough with IELTS money-making game, dilemma). But, this time, I created separate application (for me as FSW-O LMIA Exempted WP; Spouse: Open WP; Child: Visitor Visa), in together I submitted applications, and paid online fee. timeline is as under:
  • Oct 8: AoR;
  • Oct 9: Biometrics Instruction Letter (BIL) Received;
  • Oct 10: Biometrics status = Completed (we went to CVAC Rome, and performed biometrics, immediately status changed); BG: IP1.
  • Oct 11-12: BG=IP2, Received instruction letter from CIC (Your action Required), I had to submit Italian Residence Permits of family, as my birth country is PAK, but living currently in ITA, hence they needed valid residency status of ITA, as instructed forwarded copies by email to Canadian Embassy in Rome;
  • AS-IS: Since 12 Oct, BG=IP2; Biometrics=Completed; App status: (Your Action Required); I suppose after IP2 next step is PPR, and I believe this delay might be caused from Canadian Embassy in Rome, perhaps they didn't yet updated CIC about our valid residence permits, therefore, CIC status is not updated.
  • Another strange thing, I noticed, when I received letter from CIC about submitting italian residence permit, it was written there:

This is in reference to your application for permanent residence in Canada. In order for us to continue the processing of your application, we require the following documents:
 > Client Information: Receipt of information from client Please provide copies of the residence permits in Italy for you and your family. This must be received at this office by: 2017/11/11

In fact, it's not PR application, but WP application, although on letter head WP Reference # and UCI # were mentioned, not EE profile (I think it's auto-generated letter, system bug, standard wording).

So, what do you think, would be next step after IP2, would it be PPR? and what could cause such delay? normally how many days IP2 takes? should I contact embassy in Rome or CIC? Better to wait?

Thanks in advance!
Hello, I must admit that your processing is looking different as my application did not go through that process, I may not be in position to say what you can expect for now, depending on your start date, perhaps you should wait and write CIC if they take too long to respond

jojee2k6

Sep 6, 2016
Hello, I must admit that your processing is looking different as my application did not go through that process, I may not be in position to say what you can expect for now, depending on your start date, perhaps you should wait and write CIC if they take too long to respond
Yes, fingers crossed! may be next week I expect some updates, else would contact CIC.
BTW, my visa office would be Rome or elsewhere? any idea?

Alireza_njm

Oct 22, 2017
Dear Friends

Thank you for your helpful conversation. Unfortunately, I encountered some problems and conflicts through the process of work permit application for postdoctoral fellowship. So, it would really be appreciated if you could guide me in this regard:

1. According to my investigations, it seems that the "employer-specific work permit" should be applied in the postdoctoral case. However, the "Foreign Worker - International Mobility Program (visitor's visa required)" is proposed to me as a result of the question and answer steps on the cic website. Just to make sure, did I make a mistake? And more accurately, are these two kinds of work permits basically different or not?

2. By answering some other questions, the checklist for the required documents was provided to me. This checklist contains documents related to my previous work records, Including: Employment Reference Letter, Letter from Current Employer and Employment Records. Considering that I recently graduated from PhD degree, do I have to submit my previous university documents as a former employer?

3. Despite, it is clarified on cic website that the offer of employment number is required to apply for an "employer-specific work permit"; but, during my own online application process, I have never been asked to enter this code. This conflict has really made me confused. Did I unwittingly miss something?

4. And as a last question, given that I decide to travel to Canada with my wife; she will be my dependent. So, which answer do I have to choose for her, when I asked about the reason of her travel to Canada? Available options are: visit, study, work and transit.

I greatly appreciate your time and consideration. And I am anxiously looking forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes

Xtreme Innovations

Star Member
May 3, 2017
Dear Friends

Thank you for your helpful conversation. Unfortunately, I encountered some problems and conflicts through the process of work permit application for postdoctoral fellowship. So, it would really be appreciated if you could guide me in this regard:

1. According to my investigations, it seems that the "employer-specific work permit" should be applied in the postdoctoral case. However, the "Foreign Worker - International Mobility Program (visitor's visa required)" is proposed to me as a result of the question and answer steps on the cic website. Just to make sure, did I make a mistake? And more accurately, are these two kinds of work permits basically different or not?

if it is a postdoc then "Foreign Worker - International Mobility Program (visitor's visa required) is what you should apply for

2. By answering some other questions, the checklist for the required documents was provided to me. This checklist contains documents related to my previous work records, Including: Employment Reference Letter, Letter from Current Employer and Employment Records. Considering that I recently graduated from PhD degree, do I have to submit my previous university documents as a former employer?

Read page 1 of this thread ..fraats might have an idea

3. Despite, it is clarified on cic website that the offer of employment number is required to apply for an "employer-specific work permit"; but, during my own online application process, I have never been asked to enter this code. This conflict has really made me confused. Did I unwittingly miss something?
offer of employment number ought to have been provided by your Employer (your employer was supposed to pay a certain fee and then get this number and send to you) - if you already submitted your application for work permit online they would have asked you the number

4. And as a last question, given that I decide to travel to Canada with my wife; she will be my dependent. So, which answer do I have to choose for her, when I asked about the reason of her travel to Canada? Available options are: visit, study, work and transit.

if she plans to be with your within that period it might be better to chose work (open work permit) as that will permit her work with any employer

I greatly appreciate your time and consideration. And I am anxiously looking forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes

Alireza_njm

Oct 22, 2017
Hi Xtreme Innovations
Thank you so much for your helpful response.
Regarding my 3rd question, I already received the "offer of employment number" from the university officer. But, I dont know, Should I enter this code in any form or not?
Thank you again

Xtreme Innovations

Star Member
May 3, 2017
Dear Friends

if it is a postdoc then "Foreign Worker - International Mobility Program (visitor's visa required) is what you should apply for

Read page 1 of this thread ..fraats might have an idea

offer of employment number ought to have been provided by your Employer (your employer was supposed to pay a certain fee and then get this number and send to you) - if you already submitted your application for work permit online they would have asked you the number

if she plans to be with your within that period it might be better to chose work (open work permit) as that will permit her work with any employer

Best wishes
Hi Xtreme Innovations
Thank you so much for your helpful response.
Regarding my 3rd question, I already received the "offer of employment number" from the university officer. But, I dont know, Should I enter this code in any form or not?
Thank you again
I submitted my application some weeks ago.. i think there is a place for it it should be the first form- form1295 or so..just ensure you have downloaded all the forms...you definitely need to input it somewhere

smartnini

Oct 4, 2017
yes they did ask me for police record of all countries i have lived in form more than 6 months, I had some travel History and had collected my reports. once they asked, I was able to upload them in a few days. It took about two weeks to receive the request letter

Hello Smart, there were some exceptions for the two week processing but not sure if you fall under that category. Hopefully you should get a response in time for you to begin your postdoc..
Hi there, I finally got approval for my work permit application within 4 weeks after applying. It turns out that my application was eligible for a 2 weeks processing, but there was a backlog of applications to get assessed. To get 2 weeks processing, the application must be assessed by an officer who will then determine if 2 weeks processing applies. I'm glad that it all worked out well for me! Would like to thank IRCC (CIC) for providing this service for certain individuals...

For all those who want to qualify for this service, I would advise them to make sure they read all the conditions and comply with them. Please also read the requirements of local CIC/IRCC office to see anything extra required. For my case, police clearance certificates were required which I submitted with my initial application. I would ask the new applicants to take time and make sure everything is in place, it is a good idea to write a letter of explanation and submit all the documents you think are necessary for swift processing.

Good luck to everyone!

jojee2k6

Sep 6, 2016
congrats @smartnini and others who got 2 weeks processing.

One thing, I am skeptical about, Global Talent Stream is for short-term workers / researchers, copied as below:

Eligibility for high-skilled workers
• your job needs to be under the NOC skill type 0 (managerial) or A (professional)
• you can work for
o up to 15 consecutive days every six months or
o 16-30 consecutive days once every year

Eligibility for researchers
You will come to Canada as a researcher:
• at a public degree-granting institution or affiliated research institution
• who will work for 120 or fewer consecutive days
• who has not worked in Canada under this exemption in the last 12 months

Now, what's duration of your post-doc? 1 year as mine, I suppose? I too applied like you, but in IP2 phase now, with no further updates.
I too want to raise a CSE, but skeptical about duration. If 1 year post-doc falls under this category, should I raise CSE to ask for swift processing?

@smartnini would you like to share what you mentioned in LoE, as while filling the online application, I remember I didn't opted for 'Global Skill Strategy' as it led to other non-relevant stream (discussed as well in first pages of this forum).

Xtreme Innovations

Star Member
May 3, 2017
Hello, please check page 1 of this thread. Frasts asked the same question and I copy and pasted the answer from CIC, you'l
congrats @smartnini and others who got 2 weeks processing.

One thing, I am skeptical about, Global Talent Stream is for short-term workers / researchers, copied as below:

Eligibility for high-skilled workers
• your job needs to be under the NOC skill type 0 (managerial) or A (professional)
• you can work for
o up to 15 consecutive days every six months or
o 16-30 consecutive days once every year

Eligibility for researchers
You will come to Canada as a researcher:
• at a public degree-granting institution or affiliated research institution
• who will work for 120 or fewer consecutive days
• who has not worked in Canada under this exemption in the last 12 months

Now, what's duration of your post-doc? 1 year as mine, I suppose? I too applied like you, but in IP2 phase now, with no further updates.
I too want to raise a CSE, but skeptical about duration. If 1 year post-doc falls under this category, should I raise CSE to ask for swift processing?

Hello, please check page 1 of this thread. Frasts asked the same question and I copy and pasted the answer from CIC, read carefully...