+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Postdoctoral fellowship LMIA exempt working permit

frasts

Aug 23, 2017
Hi all,

I recently received a 2 years postdoctoral fellowship from the EU to work in a Canadian university.
My Canadian host applied for LMIA exemption (with the title : Post-doctoral fellow) and sent me the job offer number.
I am now applying on the CIC website for the work permit, and I have a few questions.

1. Just to make sure, when I fill the application, I have to choose my work permit category:

‘What type of work permit do you want to apply for?’
A- LMIA exemption, which leads to a total of 155$
B- Post-graduate work permit, which leads to a total of 255$ because it includes an open work permit

Which one is the correct one?I would assume coming from outside Canada to a specific host within Canada who sent me the job offer, it should be the first one (A).

2. Giving this answer brings me to a document checklist.
I find it rather confusing (even after reading the explanation), so I hope someone can clarify the difference.

Briefly my employment history: before getting this fellowship I completed my PhD, and I am currently a visiting researcher in a European Uni (paid with a visiting research grant by the host)

-A Employment reference letter
(an up-to-date reference from current or past employers).
I need two:
I guess my PhD supervisor counts as the employer, so one will be about my PhD position
Plus one from the Current Employer (Uni in Europe where I am guest researcher)

-B Letter from Current Employer
(You must provide a letter from your current employer or proof of annotated pay stubs from your employer. This is used to confirm the details of your financial profile)
I assume this is not the post-doc in Canada, but my current position. So I think some basic info about my position from the group leader host where I am visiting researcher?
How it this different from point A?

C-Employment Records
(You must provide proof of work experience for your current job and for each past position you listed. Proof must include a reference letter from your employer and pay stubs, if you have them)
Again info from both my PhD and current position.
How is this different from points A and B?

D-Employment contract
Is this the confirmation from the EU funding agency that is paying my fellowship, or my host university in Canada (or both - one is paying, one is hosting).

E-Proof that you Meet the Requirements of the Job Being Offered
I guess here I can attach various documents such as PhD certificate, Fellowship offer from the granting agency, Scientific CV, invitation letter from the Canadian host.

Thanks for your help!

frasts

Aug 23, 2017
Update: I figured out that it's the LMIA exempt work permit (answer 1.A).
If anyone can help with the document checklist, I would be very grateful!

Xtreme Innovations

Star Member
May 3, 2017
Hello,
I am also about to apply for same to do postdoc in Canada ,,,some of the documents seem like they are asking for same thing twice so I have read and tried to put together what i understand and will add loe is needed

Hi all,

I recently received a 2 years postdoctoral fellowship from the EU to work in a Canadian university.
My Canadian host applied for LMIA exemption (with the title : Post-doctoral fellow) and sent me the job offer number.
I am now applying on the CIC website for the work permit, and I have a few questions.

1. Just to make sure, when I fill the application, I have to choose my work permit category:

‘What type of work permit do you want to apply for?’
A- LMIA exemption, which leads to a total of 155$
B- Post-graduate work permit, which leads to a total of 255$ because it includes an open work permit

Which one is the correct one?I would assume coming from outside Canada to a specific host within Canada who sent me the job offer, it should be the first one (A).

I think A is the right one

2. Giving this answer brings me to a document checklist.
I find it rather confusing (even after reading the explanation), so I hope someone can clarify the difference.

Briefly my employment history: before getting this fellowship I completed my PhD, and I am currently a visiting researcher in a European Uni (paid with a visiting research grant by the host)

-A Employment reference letter
(an up-to-date reference from current or past employers).
I need two:
I guess my PhD supervisor counts as the employer, so one will be about my PhD position
Plus one from the Current Employer (Uni in Europe where I am guest researcher)

I got ref letters from my current and past employer in the last 3 years

-B Letter from Current Employer
(You must provide a letter from your current employer or proof of annotated pay stubs from your employer. This is used to confirm the details of your financial profile)
I assume this is not the post-doc in Canada, but my current position. So I think some basic info about my position from the group leader host where I am visiting researcher?
How it this different from point A?

Plan to use same letter from my current employer and add [pay stubs
C-Employment Records
(You must provide proof of work experience for your current job and for each past position you listed. Proof must include a reference letter from your employer and pay stubs, if you have them)
Again info from both my PhD and current position.
How is this different from points A and B?

Again i would just upload same letters because the letters state what CIC requires

D-Employment contract
Is this the confirmation from the EU funding agency that is paying my fellowship, or my host university in Canada (or both - one is paying, one is hosting).

It should be the one from Canadian Uni

E-Proof that you Meet the Requirements of the Job Being Offered
I guess here I can attach various documents such as PhD certificate, Fellowship offer from the granting agency, Scientific CV, invitation letter from the Canadian host.

Thanks for your help!
I would submit same too. CV, certificates, recommendation letters etc

I hope the application is processed in two weeks or doesn't take too long since postdocs fall under the International Mobility which is part of the new Global skills strategy w

frasts

Aug 23, 2017
Hello,
I am also about to apply for same to do postdoc in Canada ,,,some of the documents seem like they are asking for same thing twice so I have read and tried to put together what i understand and will add loe is needed

I would submit same too. CV, certificates, recommendation letters etc

I hope the application is processed in two weeks or doesn't take too long since postdocs fall under the International Mobility which is part of the new Global skills strategy w
Hi,
are you also going to submit pretty much the same documents between points A,B, and C (with more financial details in B and C)?

None of the sites from universities I looked at for instructions mentioned postdocs as being part of the Global Skills strategy (when I try to get processing time from CIC says 9 weeks estimated for me).
Where did you find out the NOC code for postdoc? I searched here http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/noc.asp#find
but I didn't find anything for postdoc (only teaching and research assistant).

Thanks!

Xtreme Innovations

Star Member
May 3, 2017
Hi,
are you also going to submit pretty much the same documents between points A,B, and C (with more financial details in B and C)?

None of the sites from universities I looked at for instructions mentioned postdocs as being part of the Global Skills strategy (when I try to get processing time from CIC says 9 weeks estimated for me).

this was announced in June 2017...go through the following cic links

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/GSS.asp?_ga=2.243146570.991527833.1503661822-687230712.1503661822
Through the Global Skills Strategy, you can begin temporary work in Canada faster. We will process most applications within two weeks.

Who is eligible
There are two ways you can qualify for two-week processing.

1. You are exempt from the Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) process and your:
    • job is under the skill type 0 (managerial) or A (professional) of the National Occupational Classification (NOC) and
    • work permit will be employer-specific and
    • employer has submitted an offer of employment using the Employer Portal and paid the employer compliance fee
    OR
  2. Your employer has a positive LMIA through the Global Talent Stream of the Temporary Foreign Worker program and you are applying for an employer-specific work permit.

How to benefit from the Global Skills Strategy
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/employers/gss.asp

The Global Skills Strategy can help you get workers faster with:
  • a two-week processing time for 80% of work permit applications

you normally should fall in this category because of the following

Two-Week Processing
A foreign worker may qualify for the new two-week work-permit processing standard if:

• they are Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) exempt via the International Mobility Program (IMP); and
  • are applying from outside Canada; and
  • the job is employer-specific and either skill type 0 (managerial) or skill level A (professional) of the National Occupation Classification; and
  • the employer has submitted an offer of employment using the Employer Portal and paid the employer compliance fee

Where did you find out the NOC code for postdoc? I searched here http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/noc.asp#find
but I didn't find anything for postdoc (only teaching and research assistant).

"We assess jobs against the 2011 version of the NOC". http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/noc.asp

the pdf version of noc 11 has postdoc under 4011..it used to be under universities and professors online but not sure why its not there but the noc 2011 has it there

Thanks!

frasts

Aug 23, 2017
more about NOC:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/work/opinion/policy.asp
Occupational code
For post-doctoral fellows who are employed by a Canadian university or educational institution, the 2011 NOC code should be 4011.
The NOC 2011 table still doesn't explicitly mention postdocs (only lecturer) although (only) one of the aims fits the postdoc fellow position: Conduct research in field of specialization and publish findings in scholarly journals or books.

I checked the last link you posted, am I technically employed by the Canadian University even though I received a fellowship from outside Canada? The Canadian Uni is the one who made the job offer for LMIA exemption.
Reading further in that page, it does seem like receiving an award from a foreign institution should be treated the same.

Thanks a lot for your help!

frasts

Aug 23, 2017
When I do the 'Find out if you are eligible to apply', Under global skills strategy says:

Global Skills Strategy

The Global Skills Strategy is a new initiative to help bring highly-skilled workers and researchers to Canada. Through this strategy, you can have a work permit exemption for short-term work in Canada if you meet the eligibility for one of these categories:

Eligibility for high-skilled workers
• your job needs to be under the NOC skill type 0 (managerial) or A (professional)
• you can work for
o up to 15 consecutive days every six months or
o 16-30 consecutive days once every year

Eligibility for researchers
You will come to Canada as a researcher:
• at a public degree-granting institution or affiliated research institution
• who will work for 120 or fewer consecutive days
• who has not worked in Canada under this exemption in the last 12 months

Doesn't seem suitable for me (I will stay 2 years)

Xtreme Innovations

Star Member
May 3, 2017
When I do the 'Find out if you are eligible to apply', Under global skills strategy says:

Global Skills Strategy

The Global Skills Strategy is a new initiative to help bring highly-skilled workers and researchers to Canada. Through this strategy, you can have a work permit exemption for short-term work in Canada if you meet the eligibility for one of these categories:

Eligibility for high-skilled workers
• your job needs to be under the NOC skill type 0 (managerial) or A (professional)
• you can work for
o up to 15 consecutive days every six months or
o 16-30 consecutive days once every year

Eligibility for researchers
You will come to Canada as a researcher:
• at a public degree-granting institution or affiliated research institution
• who will work for 120 or fewer consecutive days
• who has not worked in Canada under this exemption in the last 12 months

Doesn't seem suitable for me (I will stay 2 years)
It appears you need to read further...please read carefully... I think what you pasted above falls under the work permit exemption and you don't fall in that category).....The Global skills strategy has different packages, what you mentioned above is just one of them (work permit exemption ), the other is through the International Mobility Program where LIMA exemption falls.. I inserted the links at the end

How to benefit from the Global Skills Strategy
The Global Skills Strategy can help you get workers faster with:

• a two-week processing time for 80% of work permit applications
  • work permit exemptions for highly-skilled workers on short-term work assignments and for researchers involved in a short-duration research project in Canada
  • a dedicated service channel for companies looking to make large, job-creating investments in Canada

Who is eligible for two-week processing
There are two ways your worker can qualify for two-week processing.

1. They are Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) exempt and:
    • they are applying from outside Canada;
    • the job is employer-specific and either skill type 0 (managerial) or skill level A (professional) of the National Occupation Classification; and
    • you have submitted an offer of employment using the Employer Portal and paid the employer compliance fee
    OR

2. You have a positive LMIA for an employer-specific job which has indicated eligibility though the Global Talent Stream of the Temporary Foreign Worker Program.
Spouses and dependents
The spouse/common-law partner and dependents of the worker are also eligible for two-week processing. They must apply at the same time as the worker.

How your worker can get two-week processing
To benefit from faster processing times, after you have submitted a letter of offer, the worker must:

• apply online from outside of Canada
  • submit a complete application
  • identify themselves as part of the Global Talent Stream through the Come To Canada tool, if applicable. This information will be in the LMIA
  • submit at the time of application (where required)
    • medical exam
    • biometric fee
Workers must also submit the results of their biometrics within 14 calendar days from the date of application.

Family members such as spouse or dependents are also eligible for two-week processing if the worker meets the criteria. They must apply at the same time.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/employers/gss.asp
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/employers/hire-how.asp

DSC Referral Partners

Date Modified:
2017-07-25
Gallery of mobile and web-based applications

Browse and download apps that were built both by the Canadian public and the Government of Canada that use open data.

Leaders Today Canada Newsletter

The newsletter for young people taking action to create a better Canada and a better world.

Wildfires in British Columbia

Forest and wildfires can cause extensive damage and put lives in danger.

About this site
Contact information
News
Government
Transparency
Social media

Mobile centre

Xtreme Innovations

Star Member
May 3, 2017
The NOC 2011 table still doesn't explicitly mention postdocs (only lecturer) although (only) one of the aims fits the postdoc fellow position: Conduct research in field of specialization and publish findings in scholarly journals or books.
Did you check the pdf version? http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/12-583-x/12-583-x2011001-eng.pdf page 790

I checked the last link you posted, am I technically employed by the Canadian University even though I received a fellowship from outside Canada? The Canadian Uni is the one who made the job offer for LMIA exemption.
Reading further in that page, it does seem like receiving an award from a foreign institution should be treated the same.
Yes you are that is why you are applying for a work permit....you are regarded as a worker irrespective of where the sponsorship is coming from, other wise they will give you a student permit...

Thanks a lot for your help!

frasts

Aug 23, 2017
Who is eligible for two-week processing

They are Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) exempt and:
  • they are applying from outside Canada;
  • you have submitted an offer of employment using the Employer Portal and paid the employer compliance fee

How your worker can get two-week processing
To benefit from faster processing times, after you have submitted a letter of offer, the worker must:

• apply online from outside of Canada
  • submit a complete application
  • identify themselves as part of the Global Talent Stream through the Come To Canada tool, if applicable. This information will be in the LMIA
  • submit at the time of application (where required)
    • medical exam
    • biometric fee
Workers must also submit the results of their biometrics within 14 calendar days from the date of application.
Thanks, so it sounds like I am eligible based on the points above.
In this page http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who-permit-result.asp?q1_options=1b
'postdoctoral fellow' appears.

Following the 'How your worker can get two-week processing'

When I use the come to Canada tool, if I select:

Do you plan to work in one of the following categories?
Highly-skilled workers and researchers (Global Skills Strategy)
YES

Then the output is:

Foreign Worker - International Mobility Program (eTA required)
You may be eligible to come to Canada as a foreign worker. You don't need a work permit, but you do need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA).

Which sounds wrong.

If I don't select the global skills strategy, it will lead me to the documents mentioned in my original post.
But if I apply normally through that, how will they know that I am eligible for the two weeks processing?
thanks!

(Who should I be asking all these questions to, the Candian Embassy in my Country? my Host university? I have emailed them both but they didn't seem to know the specifics of the application).

Xtreme Innovations

Star Member
May 3, 2017
Thanks, so it sounds like I am eligible based on the points above.
In this page http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who-permit-result.asp?q1_options=1b
'postdoctoral fellow' appears.

Following the 'How your worker can get two-week processing'

When I use the come to Canada tool, if I select:

Do you plan to work in one of the following categories?
Highly-skilled workers and researchers (Global Skills Strategy)
YES

I had the challenge too till I read further- do not select that category (because it falls under short term highly skilled- if you look well at the categories on that list you would find things like coaches, athletes, religious etc and these are persons who tend to need less time in a place depending on their activity).
When you use the tool select NO on that question and proceed to the next question and answer accordingly. At the end of the application they would still tell you you qualify for the foreign worker international mobility program.
I must admit CIC has done well on their website but there is still much to be done to enhance user friendliness, I have been reading and had started preparing application for the express entry program, i observed that it might take you reading quite a couple of CIC pages to get the whole picture about a particular topic.

Since the program was only announced in June I am sure less persons know about it...CIC officers should know.. you and a few others would probably be the fist few to use this option ...
hope this helps

Then the output is:

Foreign Worker - International Mobility Program (eTA required)
You may be eligible to come to Canada as a foreign worker. You don't need a work permit, but you do need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA).

Which sounds wrong.

If I don't select the global skills strategy, it will lead me to the documents mentioned in my original post.
But if I apply normally through that, how will they know that I am eligible for the two weeks processing?
thanks!

(Who should I be asking all these questions to, the Candian Embassy in my Country? my Host university? I have emailed them both but they didn't seem to know the specifics of the application).

frasts

Aug 23, 2017
Thanks for your reply it was certainly helpful, I went through the whole application as suggested, but the two weeks processing never appears.
How do I/they know that I qualify for that? It simply happens after I submit that the time is shorter? The tool on the website gives me 9 weeks.

Hopefully the consulate will answer soon.

Xtreme Innovations

Star Member
May 3, 2017
Thanks for your reply it was certainly helpful, I went through the whole application as suggested, but the two weeks processing never appears.
How do I/they know that I qualify for that? It simply happens after I submit that the time is shorter? The tool on the website gives me 9 weeks.

Lets hope so too,.i saw someone wrote on the forum asking about this too..since its a new CIC seems to be taking its time to implement it..I wonder why

Xtreme Innovations

Star Member
May 3, 2017
when

normally when I went thru they say you are eligible for International Mobility and International mobility program is one of those that qualify for it...CIC certainly needs to be clearer in their communication....