+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landed Immigrants: Share Landing, Job hunt, house hunt & other experience

rocky272727

VIP Member
May 21, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sanjeevindia said:
My License is in my old name ,i.e. without surname. I am thinking about getting it renewed. The renewed license will contain old license's number but not the period. Whether it will create any problem in getting License once I land in October in Toronto? I will also arrange a Certificate from the Authorities.

Thanks & regards.
Get a letter affidavit that old name and full name are one of the same person

sanjeevindia

Jul 1, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rocky272727 said:
Get a letter affidavit that old name and full name are one of the same person
Thnx. Will that be sufficient with the new License? Also whether a Notarized Affidavit will work or it must be attested by a Magistrate?

rocky272727

VIP Member
May 21, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sanjeevindia said:
Thnx. Will that be sufficient with the new License? Also whether a Notarized Affidavit will work or it must be attested by a Magistrate?
Magistrate will be safe but if problem to get it then get notary to affix his international seal it will also do. Remember any notarization which is to be authenticated out of India must have international seal.

sanjeevindia

Jul 1, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rocky272727 said:
Magistrate will be safe but if problem to get it then get notary to affix his international seal it will also do. Remember any notarization which is to be authenticated out of India must have international seal.
thnx a lot. I will get my license updated soons and also get an affidavit.

sanjeevindia

Jul 1, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Rocky,

I have forwarded you a personal mail on the affidavit format. can you please check and suggest any updations?

Regards.

Sanjeev

Romford

Star Member
Jul 15, 2009
London, UK
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23rd Sep 09
Med's Request
5 Nov 09
Med's Done....
6 Nov 09
Passport Req..
April 10, again July 10
VISA ISSUED...
July 10
LANDED..........
Oct 4, 2010......
Hi Satish_lkb
Canadian PR is a visa on YOUR passport, you need visa to enter any other country as normal unless if your country is visa free entry to US/other countries.

ta

satish_lkb said:
Dear PR holders,

Kindly advice me for the following.

I have a tour plan to USA for 3 weeks with my family, most probably next year. Actually I was going to apply to the US EMBASSY this month. Most of you know about the formalities for getting tourist visa to US and the application fee involved. Now I got medical/RPRF request from CHC London and if everything is in order, I believe I may get my visa this year itself.

My question is whether I should apply for US visa now or not. Whether a Canadian PR holder is eligible for "on arrival US visa" or any other less formalities? Please guide me.

Satish

Naavy100

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi,India
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-11-09
Doc's Request.
6-02-10
IELTS Request
6-02-10 - 7 Bands
File Transfer...
10-02-2010
Med's Request
19/11/2010
Med's Done....
7/12/2010
Passport Req..
19/11/2010
VISA ISSUED...
15/2/2011
LANDED..........
22 April 2011
Romford said:
Hi Satish_lkb
Canadian PR is a visa on YOUR passport, you need visa to enter any other country as normal unless if your country is visa free entry to US/other countries.

ta
As you are citizen of India you need to give interview in India/Canada to enter USA .

in most of the cases they give 10 years multiple entry visa .

Sam2Canada

Jan 4, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
02/02/2010
VISA ISSUED...
05/05/2010
LANDED..........
12/09/2010
Hi All

I landed on 12th Sept in Ottawa, though I am now in Brapmton GTA . Landing was smooth. Had no permanent address so IO gave me the address notification form with fax number. IO just ask me how much I am carrying but IO at custom counted the TC and cash both..first IO also took picture of mine and wife..though he didnt take pic of my kid..by this time i missed my flight from Ottawa to Toronto..only 2 hrs gap was their between my Frankfurt-Ottawa flight and Ottawa-Toronto flight..
got SIN..and still in hotel..looking for apartment in Brampton area...difficult to get apartments with good transit option..took mobile connection from FIDO..post plan w/o contract..i guess 'Chater' from Rogers is still better option..i came to know abt it after i took FIDO..will let u know if i have any other experience coming days..

Thanks
Sam

winnycanada

Star Member
Sep 14, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
a basic question

a basic question:
we know u need to live in can for at least 2 out of 5 years to maintain ur pr.
this 2 year could be any time during the 5 years right? accumulation of any different periods is ok right?
after u get ur pr, do u have to live there immediately?

thanks!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Re: a basic question

winnycanada said:
a basic question:
we know u need to live in can for at least 2 out of 5 years to maintain ur pr.
this 2 year could be any time during the 5 years right? accumulation of any different periods is ok right?
after u get ur pr, do u have to live there immediately?

thanks!
Accumulation of different periods is fine and you do not have to move immediately. You can leave right away after landing. Keep good records of your travels because you will need them when you apply to renew your PR card in 5 years.

winnycanada

Star Member
Sep 14, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thank you.
anything that we'd better do immediately after we get pr, for our benefits?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nothing special really. If you are staying for a couple of days, you might as well get your SIN and open a bank account. Then you will have that out of the way.

winnycanada

Star Member
Sep 14, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
some ppl talk about healthy insurance card...or social security stuff...something like that... do we need to have that...immediately?