Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
winnycanada said:
some ppl talk about healthy insurance card...or social security stuff...something like that... do we need to have that...immediately?
I guess, u meant the Healthcare Plan or the Medicare Plan, offered free by the Govt. U can file-in the application imdt upon landing... But remember: except Alberta & Manitoba, all other provinces have a mandatory wait period for their healthcare plan to kick-in.

In Ontario, we have to wait 90 days for the OHIP, till then u receive [nearly]*Nil health coverage. And even if u file-in the apps after landing - the Health Card/s will only be delivered, at your address, after 3 months. Thus, in fact, there's no benefit of applying for it before... I did it on the 91st day & the OHIP Card/s landed@my door after 3 days. The same day of application I had to visit a Walk-In Clinic & found my coverage commenced.

*I said "nearly Nil" 'coz there r some orgs available, where u can run into if in a sort of medical trouble, & u get a partial relief. But in major mishaps - u pay dearly. It's always wise to land with a Temp. Travel Insurance.

Qorax

AryandestinyCanada

May 17, 2010
*I said "nearly Nil" 'coz there r some orgs available, where u can run into if in a sort of medical trouble, & u get a partial relief. But in major mishaps - u pay dearly. It's always wise to land with a Temp. Travel Insurance.

Qorax
[/quote]

Hi Quorax,

Could you pls advise on temporary health insurance, I'm planning to come in dec end.. have checked with ICICI Lombard and few other insurance co* in India.. more or less insurance coverage is same for all insurance co* e.g - I have to bear first $100 if hospitalized and rest paid by them etc. etc....

However, I'm still ambivalent to which one to go with Insurance from India or from Canada (Private insurance).. as I firmly believe Canadian insurance co* would offer we more facilities as compare to india..

I'm 30 years old and my wife is 27... we both are medical fit and no running medical hindrances in past, premium which insurance co* is asking for both us is approx. 10,000rs ( $222) for 60 day coverage.

I m seeking wiser advice on where to get temp health insurance, as I m planning to land in Ontario hence would not get health card for 90 days.

Could you pls. check and advise, how much does private insurance from Canada cost us and what they offer(coverage)

Looking forward to hear from you

Thanks
Aryan

swapnochary

Jul 27, 2010
Dhaka, Bangladesh
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-01-2010
Doc's Request.
03-03-2010
AOR Received.
07-04-2010
IELTS Request
L - 7.5, R - 6.5, W - 6.5, S - 8.0, Ov. All. - 7
Med's Request
12-07-2010
Med's Done....
02-08-2010
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
31-08-2010 PP submitted: 14-09-2010 Decision made: 05-10-10
VISA ISSUED...
04-10-2010 VISA RCVD...: 24-10-2010
LANDED..........
GOD KNOWS
Qorax
Is it possible to land in Alberta or Manitoba then take the health card and then move to ontario within 1-2 months ?

swapnochary

qorax said:
I guess, u meant the Healthcare Plan or the Medicare Plan, offered free by the Govt. U can file-in the application imdt upon landing... But remember: except Alberta & Manitoba, all other provinces have a mandatory wait period for their healthcare plan to kick-in.

In Ontario, we have to wait 90 days for the OHIP, till then u receive [nearly]*Nil health coverage. And even if u file-in the apps after landing - the Health Card/s will only be delivered, at your address, after 3 months. Thus, in fact, there's no benefit of applying for it before... I did it on the 91st day & the OHIP Card/s landed @ my door after 3 days. The same day of application I had to visit a Walk-In Clinic & found my coverage commenced.

Qorax

swapnochary

Jul 27, 2010
Dhaka, Bangladesh
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-01-2010
Doc's Request.
03-03-2010
AOR Received.
07-04-2010
IELTS Request
Med's Request
12-07-2010
Med's Done....
02-08-2010
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
GOD KNOWS
Re: a basic question

winnycanada said:
a basic question:
we know u need to live in can for at least 2 out of 5 years to maintain ur pr.
this 2 year could be any time during the 5 years right? accumulation of any different periods is ok right?
after u get ur pr, do u have to live there immediately?

thanks!
2 out of 5 or 3 out of 5 Years ???

idas

Jun 15, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
DONE :-)

swapnochary said:
2 out of 5 or 3 out of 5 Years ???
To keep PR 2 out of 5
To Become citizen 3 out of last 4

nadahmedk

Star Member
May 10, 2010
Posted by: Sam2Canada
Insert Quote
Hi All

I landed on 12th Sept in Ottawa, though I am now in Brapmton GTA . Landing was smooth. Had no permanent address so IO gave me the address notification form with fax number. IO just ask me how much I am carrying but IO at custom counted the TC and cash both..first IO also took picture of mine and wife..though he didnt take pic of my kid..by this time i missed my flight from Ottawa to Toronto..only 2 hrs gap was their between my Frankfurt-Ottawa flight and Ottawa-Toronto flight..
got SIN..and still in hotel..looking for apartment in Brampton area...difficult to get apartments with good transit option..took mobile connection from FIDO..post plan w/o contract..i guess 'Chater' from Rogers is still better option..i came to know abt it after i took FIDO..will let u know if i have any other experience coming days..

Thanks
Sam

Dear Sam, which hotel you are staying, how about cooking in hotel?? Is it good enogh to stay with kids

Thanks,
Nadeem

rocky272727

VIP Member
May 21, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

winnycanada said:
a basic question:
we know u need to live in can for at least 2 out of 5 years to maintain ur pr.
this 2 year could be any time during the 5 years right? accumulation of any different periods is ok right?
after u get ur pr, do u have to live there immediately?

thanks!
It has to be 2 years out of 5 years and can be in any way. No it is not mandatory that you have to live here immidiately once you get your PR

AryandestinyCanada

May 17, 2010

Landed Immigrants, pls advise on temporary health insurance, I'm planning to come in dec end.. have checked with ICICI Lombard and few other insurance co* in India.. more or less insurance coverage is same for all insurance co* e.g - I have to bear first $100 if hospitalized and rest paid by them etc. etc....

However, I'm still ambivalent to which one to go with Insurance from India or from Canada (Private insurance).. as I firmly believe Canadian insurance co* would offer we more facilities as compare to india..

I'm 30 years old and my wife is 27... we both are medical fit and no running medical hindrances in past, premium which insurance co* is asking for both us is approx. 10,000rs ( $222) for 60 day coverage.

I m seeking wiser advice on where to get temp health insurance, as I m planning to land in Ontario hence would not get health card for 90 days.

Could you pls. check and advise, how much does private insurance from Canada cost us and what they offer(coverage)

Thanks
Aryan

Sam2Canada

Jan 4, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
02/02/2010
VISA ISSUED...
05/05/2010
LANDED..........
12/09/2010
nadahmedk said:
Posted by: Sam2Canada
Insert Quote

Thanks
Sam

Dear Sam, which hotel you are staying, how about cooking in hotel?? Is it good enogh to stay with kids

Thanks,
Nadeem
Hi Nadeem
I am staying in Homewood suites Hilton in Mississagua..its a good hotel with kitchen option but its bit costly..there are number of good options near by place..i came accross one guest house (Sheridian College guest house) which is really great and cheap..check this http://stayrcc.com/brampton/VT/tour.html

I got the apartment yesterday..1 Bed room in downtown Brampton..let me know when u r planning to land..if its Brampton and Mississagua..i can give you good amount of information..

Thanks
Sam

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
AryandestinyCanada said:

Qorax

Hi Quorax,

Could you pls advise on temporary health insurance, I'm planning to come in dec end.. have checked with ICICI Lombard and few other insurance co* in India.. more or less insurance coverage is same for all insurance co* e.g - I have to bear first $100 if hospitalized and rest paid by them etc. etc....

Thanks
Aryan
Plz read here...

14. Temp. Health Insurance: -Should we obtain a Health Insurance before 'landing'...
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t39920.0.html

Qorax

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
swapnochary said:
Qorax
Is it possible to land in Alberta or Manitoba then take the health card and then move to ontario within 1-2 months ?

swapnochary
No. Your health card gets invalid after 2 months in a new province (1 month in case of Ontario, I guess). And u r required to apply for it afresh... That's when [again] the wait period starts.

Qorax

nadahmedk

Star Member
May 10, 2010
Hi Nadeem
I am staying in Homewood suites Hilton in Mississagua..its a good hotel with kitchen option but its bit costly..there are number of good options near by place..i came accross one guest house (Sheridian College guest house) which is really great and cheap..check this http://stayrcc.com/brampton/VT/tour.html

I got the apartment yesterday..1 Bed room in downtown Brampton..let me know when u r planning to land..if its Brampton and Mississagua..i can give you good amount of information..

Thanks
Sam

Dear Sam,
I am coming on 4th October and would be looking in and around Brampton and Mississauga

I have made booking with Sheridan last week if I stay for a month then they have a good price of 42 per day which comes to 1280 a month whic almost a apartment rent, Only worry there would be its student place not sure good for Families, any one visited or stayed please do help!!

What about your renter apartment, how much does that cost, does schools close by?? Any other info you would like to share

Thanks,
Nadeem

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
For renting apartment: usually you give the landlady 1) half month rent for security deposit; 2) first and last month rent in advance upon signing a one year rental lease

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
steaky said:
For renting apartment: usually you give the landlady 1) half month rent for security deposit; 2) first and last month rent in advance upon signing a one year rental lease
It depends on the province. In AB, they are allowed to ask for up to 1 months rent damage deposit (DD) and first months rent up front. It is actually common not to get the DD back when you leave or not all of it because the landlord will claim that you caused damages that were already there or had nothing to do with you and most rental contracts allocate some of the DD to be used for carpet cleaning etc. after you leave. The landlord does not have to provide you any bills to prove his costs. Most people accept this and do not take them to court as it would be time lost off work etc.

In ON they are forbidden from taking a DD from you but they can ask for first and last months rent. That means that when you give your notice, you do not have to pay your last months rent because the landlord already has it. However also means that tenants will leave the apartment dirty because they have nothing to lose so you can expect that you have to clean before you can move in.

swapnochary

Jul 27, 2010
Dhaka, Bangladesh
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-01-2010
Doc's Request.
03-03-2010
AOR Received.
07-04-2010
IELTS Request
Med's Request
12-07-2010
Med's Done....
02-08-2010
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
GOD KNOWS
Do anyone knows what are the options for Temp Health Coverage for Bangladeshi Applicants ??
and what type of health hazards may one face just after landing?? pls share experiences...
swapnochary