+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landed Immigrants: Share Landing, Job hunt, house hunt & other experience

nadahmedk

Star Member
May 10, 2010
Dear Qorax/Leon/Seniors,

I would be landing on 4th of October in Toronto!! Please help me in understanding one thing about OHIP, does the waiting period (3 Months) is from the date of landing or from the date we rent a house and start staying, usually we will take hotel stay in the early stage

Please do suggest!!

Thanks,
Nadeem

swapnochary

Jul 27, 2010
Dhaka, Bangladesh
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-01-2010
Doc's Request.
03-03-2010
AOR Received.
07-04-2010
IELTS Request
L - 7.5, R - 6.5, W - 6.5, S - 8.0, Ov. All. - 7
Med's Request
12-07-2010
Med's Done....
02-08-2010
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
31-08-2010 PP submitted: 14-09-2010 Decision made: 05-10-10
VISA ISSUED...
04-10-2010 VISA RCVD...: 24-10-2010
LANDED..........
GOD KNOWS
Nadeem
The waiting period (3 Months) is from the date of landing .

nadahmedk

Star Member
May 10, 2010
Seniors,

As I have told, we will be landing on 4th October. I tried to book safehomestay which is running housefull now a days thanks to this forum, I didnt get a room there tried since August!!

I have booked in

Howard Johnson Toronto East
22 Metropolitan Road, Toronto, ON, Canada M1R 2T6
Tel (Direct): 416-293-8171 ext. 605
Tel (Reservations): 416-293-8315
Fax: 416-321-7400

The rooms look costly here for about 75 and above, but I found if its extended stay over week then they have good prices, I called them and email they offered as below email msg, which I believe is quite OK (no match with safehomestay)

Hi Nadeem,

Thank you for your inquiry with our hotel. I do have a room with 2 double beds available for the dates you requested. I can offer you a special extended stay rate of $55+13% tax per night. With this special extended stay rate, the room will only be cleaned once during each week (on Tuesdays) and the towels and garbage will be changed twice during the week (on Tuesdays and Fridays).

Also included with the above mentioned rate is: free parking, wireless internet and continental breakfast.

If you have any questions, or if you would like me to make a reservation for you, please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Thank-you and Regards,

I need help, as I am coming with about 10 Big bags with me and this hotel not offering any airport transportation, how to plan for transportation, Do I get prepaid taxi at airport, please do suggest me based on the size of luggage I carry I may need a BIG Van to carry 4 of us along with 10 Big bags

Please do share your exp with such luggage and getting a comfortable and economical transport to Hotel!!

Thanks,
Nadeem

Sam2Canada

Jan 4, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
02/02/2010
VISA ISSUED...
05/05/2010
LANDED..........
12/09/2010
nadahmedk said:

Dear Sam,
I am coming on 4th October and would be looking in and around Brampton and Mississauga

I have made booking with Sheridan last week if I stay for a month then they have a good price of 42 per day which comes to 1280 a month whic almost a apartment rent, Only worry there would be its student place not sure good for Families, any one visited or stayed please do help!!

What about your renter apartment, how much does that cost, does schools close by?? Any other info you would like to share

Thanks,
Nadeem

Hi Nadeem

I know abt Shredian...but the its good for students and bachelors..if you see the room floor plan..there is no place of leaving room..only bed rooms and kitchen..but yes it economical..just now I got my apartment confirmation..rent is $995 1 bedroom..(i was looking for 2 bed rooms but didnt get one with good transit option..) this one is in Brampton downtown..schools are near by..bus stop and train station are just 1 min walk..)..abt airport pick up..if u have 10 bags and 4 ppl then I guess u need to take 2 taxies..go for Van type taxi..Limo will not have big space for 10 bags..taxi is readyly available outside the airport..Welcome to Canada...

Thanks
Sam

nadahmedk

Star Member
May 10, 2010
Sam,

Thank you!! yes I got the feeler of not getting into Sheridan as I also found it uncomfortable as its student home

I have booked Howard Johnson Toronto East which is very economical if booked by sending email or calling them with extended stay

Will the Van type Taxi will be enough for all our luggage, and one more quick question, Taxi is SAFE??? do we need to get it inside airport with the counters or its OK to come out and just look for one

Thanks,
Nadeem

jawadahmed6065

Star Member
Jul 7, 2010
Nadeem,
Don't worry about airport transfer. 10 bags are OK. Not a big deal. Take a van taxi just outside the airport once you walk out. No need to book in advance. It costs 54 $ for normal taxi and extra 12$ for van taxi from airport to any where in downtown. Take a van taxi. It is perfectly safe.
You can opt for a porter which costs 10$ for three bags. For your 9 bags it will cost you 30$. Alternatively you can opt for airport trolley yourself.

Let me know if you require any further assistance.

regards

nadahmedk said:
Sam,

Thank you!! yes I got the feeler of not getting into Sheridan as I also found it uncomfortable as its student home

I have booked Howard Johnson Toronto East which is very economical if booked by sending email or calling them with extended stay

Will the Van type Taxi will be enough for all our luggage, and one more quick question, Taxi is SAFE??? do we need to get it inside airport with the counters or its OK to come out and just look for one

Thanks,
Nadeem

nadahmedk

Star Member
May 10, 2010
Jawad!!

Thanks a lot for your reply!!

Will look out for Van Taxi !!

Please do suggest if you have any more details to Share

Regards,
Nadeem

from delhi

Nov 22, 2010
Sorry for hijacking this thread..but I just wanted to share my not so good after landing experience since I am not a
frequent visitor of this forum and nor I will be so I am not starting new thread

- Well we came to Canada/toronto during 3rd week of July 2010 from Delhi/India
- First week we were very excited , we liked this city a lot and were busy in settling down took apartment for $1000 in north york area, got our kid into school
- Then start the job search I am under NOC 0213 ( MS from USA,experience in USA,Europe,Australia and India) my spouse has over 15yrs exp in ERP/SAP
- In last over three months we have atleast applied to 100 positions and attended on an avg daily interview with recruiters ( only few interviews went till actual client face-2-face interview)
- Some companies have weird basic requirements i.e. have to have canadian exp - well no comments on this
- Neither me nor my spouse got job in last 3 months ( I read in this forum only @ some survival jobs, that does not excite me after spending heavy on my education and earning so much experience in my field with most reputed clients/companies of the world I prefer not to take those store jobs or ectc... )
- I have applied to every level in IT ( Team Leader,Sr Developer,BA,SA,Project Coordinator ) but nothing works
my background is in MS,DB2,VB,Project Management over 13yrs of exp
- We decided that one of us has to go back and work in India while other will keep looking ( atleast we can avoid loosing our all savings) so I return back to Delhi along my daughter and joined by previous company and supporting my spouse from India.
- This place (canada/toronto) is very good we like everything here, specially our people they became just like family, I have never seen our neighbours in India taking so much time and trying to help us, but here they are amazing, so many families have helped us here ( see no one wants financial support what we want a moral support,encouagement and thats what we have got here...) but we could not continue to stay without having job
- My spouse has enrolled in some toronto university program which is costing us $6000 for 4 months hopefully things will change then

This how I would conclude our journey to canada in case we did not get jobs -
If my spouse did not get job even after doing that course then we would be under loss of atleast $50,000 during this year ( The loss of my India salary for first three months,loss of my spouse salart for 10 months, rent of 10 months ,airfare,education cost in canada and other exp which looks small but when you add them its huge and above all its going from savings only )

Lesson Learned
Always leave your previous job with good terms, you don't know when you need that back

-Good luck to all of you

This is only my exp and not a situation overall, some of you might got job in short time in your own field
Do not consider this message as discouragement but try to learn from this and it may make your decisions more productive and useful

anil_india

Jun 21, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
F T D- 18-03-2010
AOR Received.
19-07-2010 (II AOR)
IELTS Request
Band-7.5
File Transfer...
24-03-2010
Med's Request
eCAS - IN PROCESS (Jan 2012)
Med's Done....
JULY 2, 2012 (PP sent)
VISA ISSUED...
Jan. 2013 (PP received)
LANDED..........
May 2013.
Hi friends

:)

after long wait and patience, endurance and luck, you reached Canada,
leaving behind your Stable & Decent jobs & businesses,
your country, society and above all your near and dear ones.

Where do you stand now?
what struggle u had to endure to achieve What you have today?

Share your story.

So that it gives an insight and vision to the numerous Aspirants,
esp. of 0111/1111 profession,
so that they can get Equipped (like doing some course, getting some Training, learning French etc.)
for the new life's fight, well in time, in order to plan out their lives there.

Wishing you great careers and a happy life :) !!!

plz visit here for 0111/1111
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/applicants-who-hv-landed-in-canada-pls-guide-us/-t58092.0.html

ankit_20

VIP Member
Dec 7, 2009
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@ from delhi

Thanks for sharing your experience. I hope things work out for you and you get settled in canada

I think your story is not unique and is experienced by many, but your story will help lot of others to asses theit situation and take a informed decision

Thanks
Ankit

malu08

Jul 27, 2009
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
NOC Code......
@Delhi,

I do hope that you both will have good life and will get good job in Canada this time.

Deeaar

Oct 27, 2010
ABU DHABI , UAE
Category........
Visa Office......
Case Processing Pilot - Ottawa
NOC Code......
(1241-B) Oct 2007
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AUG 2007
Doc's Request.
AUG 2007
AOR Received.
OCT 2007
IELTS Request
FEB 2008 ( Total Band 8 )
File Transfer...
MARCH 2010
Med's Request
15/10/2010
Med's Done....
26/10/10
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
04/03/2011. Sent on 08/03/2011
VISA ISSUED...
30/03/2011
LANDED..........
25 July 2011
from delhi said:
Sorry for hijacking this thread..but I just wanted to share my not so good after landing experience since I am not a
frequent visitor of this forum and nor I will be so I am not starting new thread

- Well we came to Canada/toronto during 3rd week of July 2010 from Delhi/India
- First week we were very excited , we liked this city a lot and were busy in settling down took apartment for $1000 in north york area, got our kid into school
- Then start the job search I am under NOC 0213 ( MS from USA,experience in USA,Europe,Australia and India) my spouse has over 15yrs exp in ERP/SAP
- In last over three months we have atleast applied to 100 positions and attended on an avg daily interview with recruiters ( only few interviews went till actual client face-2-face interview)
- Some companies have weird basic requirements i.e. have to have canadian exp - well no comments on this
- Neither me nor my spouse got job in last 3 months ( I read in this forum only @ some survival jobs, that does not excite me after spending heavy on my education and earning so much experience in my field with most reputed clients/companies of the world I prefer not to take those store jobs or ectc... )
- I have applied to every level in IT ( Team Leader,Sr Developer,BA,SA,Project Coordinator ) but nothing works
my background is in MS,DB2,VB,Project Management over 13yrs of exp
- We decided that one of us has to go back and work in India while other will keep looking ( atleast we can avoid loosing our all savings) so I return back to Delhi along my daughter and joined by previous company and supporting my spouse from India.
- This place (canada/toronto) is very good we like everything here, specially our people they became just like family, I have never seen our neighbours in India taking so much time and trying to help us, but here they are amazing, so many families have helped us here ( see no one wants financial support what we want a moral support,encouagement and thats what we have got here...) but we could not continue to stay without having job
- My spouse has enrolled in some toronto university program which is costing us $6000 for 4 months hopefully things will change then

This how I would conclude our journey to canada in case we did not get jobs -
If my spouse did not get job even after doing that course then we would be under loss of atleast $50,000 during this year ( The loss of my India salary for first three months,loss of my spouse salart for 10 months, rent of 10 months ,airfare,education cost in canada and other exp which looks small but when you add them its huge and above all its going from savings only )

Lesson Learned
Always leave your previous job with good terms, you don't know when you need that back

-Good luck to all of you

This is only my exp and not a situation overall, some of you might got job in short time in your own field
Do not consider this message as discouragement but try to learn from this and it may make your decisions more productive and useful
An excellent piece of info.....
Good luck buddy for ur future and hope to see u n ur family successful.
Cheers!!!

Arkhan

Feb 22, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
try canada hostelsbookers.com u'll surely find good deal i've done booking for many of my frendz n they were happi.
nadahmedk said:
Seniors,

As I have told, we will be landing on 4th October. I tried to book safehomestay which is running housefull now a days thanks to this forum, I didnt get a room there tried since August!!

I have booked in

Howard Johnson Toronto East
22 Metropolitan Road, Toronto, ON, Canada M1R 2T6
Tel (Direct): 416-293-8171 ext. 605
Tel (Reservations): 416-293-8315
Fax: 416-321-7400

The rooms look costly here for about 75 and above, but I found if its extended stay over week then they have good prices, I called them and email they offered as below email msg, which I believe is quite OK (no match with safehomestay)

Hi Nadeem,

Thank you for your inquiry with our hotel. I do have a room with 2 double beds available for the dates you requested. I can offer you a special extended stay rate of $55+13% tax per night. With this special extended stay rate, the room will only be cleaned once during each week (on Tuesdays) and the towels and garbage will be changed twice during the week (on Tuesdays and Fridays).

Also included with the above mentioned rate is: free parking, wireless internet and continental breakfast.

If you have any questions, or if you would like me to make a reservation for you, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Thank-you and Regards,

I need help, as I am coming with about 10 Big bags with me and this hotel not offering any airport transportation, how to plan for transportation, Do I get prepaid taxi at airport, please do suggest me based on the size of luggage I carry I may need a BIG Van to carry 4 of us along with 10 Big bags

Please do share your exp with such luggage and getting a comfortable and economical transport to Hotel!!

Thanks,
Nadeem

loveucanada

Aug 12, 2010
Dear all,

Finally, finally, it's my turn to write something about my landing experience.

First of all, I would like to express my sincere appreciation to all you guys who answered my questions, shared your stories, and encouraged me to face horrible waiting during the past 13 months since I submitted my initial application to NS through I got my PPR.

I landed at Pearson Int'l Airport (YYZ) on the 29th of December, 2010. Due to reading the experience shared by those experts, I had a big envelop containing all my landing stuff, i.e., passport, 2 pieces of photos, landing paper, my friend's address and phone number, money, and Canadian custom declaration form which I filled out in the flight. In fact, photos are not necessary for your landing, but I had them in my pocket just in case. I landed at YYZ Terminal 3. Unlike what others said, I was being "welcomed" only once. :) I went to the custom at first. The officer was very nice and friendly. He asked me if I took any fresh food/meat/vegetable, etc. with me. After got my "No" answer, he started looking at my passport and landing paper without any other questions any more. Then I gave him the address of my friend, he smiled at me. He stamped admission date at my passport, crossed out the immigration visa, confirmed with me about the amount of money I took for landing, had me sign my name and initial at the landing paper, passed me the last page of the landing paper, and finally, "welcomed" me. That's all. Then he instructed me to my second station, "Immigration Center" (or something like that. Sorry, I already forget the name :)) When I got that center, a lady wrote something on her note book and gave me a bunch of prints including the introduction of language training center, career development center, SIN application center, etc., plus a handbag which is really useful. I like that bag. To save my time, I didn't bring much stuff with me, so I only had a carry-on suitcase and didn't need to check-in/out my bags. So, I didn't spend any time to wait for my bags at YYZ. The third station and the last one was to declare my money at a counter which is very close to the exit gate. I took USD 9000 and EUR 2000 in cash with me as I don't want to pay for bank wire transfer. The officer at that station asked me to show him my money. I gave him the money and he didn't count. Then he filled out a form and put the amount exactly same as the one presented on my landing paper. After that, I met my friend at the gate, left YYZ, really "stepped" into Canada.

My friend drove me directly from YYZ to a drive testing center. We waited in a line for 71 minutes which I was told later by the officer who dealt with my license application. I got the full G license by exchanging through my US license. The total cost is CAD 75.

On the next day, I went to apply for SIN, which was really smooth, too. After that, I went to a bank to deposit my USD9000 and EUR2000. LOL

On the last day of 2010, I left Canada and flew directly to US to visit my friend. I'm going to completely move to Canada in the spring, most possibly, in March.

Although I only spent three nights at Toronto, I love that place. I'm so happy that I filed my application and finally I made it.

I'm going to end up my landing "story" and may all of you a great, great, great new year of 2011!

Love-U-Canada! :)

swapnochary

Jul 27, 2010
Dhaka, Bangladesh
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-01-2010
Doc's Request.
03-03-2010
AOR Received.
07-04-2010
IELTS Request
L - 7.5, R - 6.5, W - 6.5, S - 8.0, Ov. All. - 7
Med's Request
12-07-2010
Med's Done....
02-08-2010
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
31-08-2010 PP submitted: 14-09-2010 Decision made: 05-10-10
VISA ISSUED...
04-10-2010 VISA RCVD...: 24-10-2010
LANDED..........
GOD KNOWS
Dear loveucanada

Nice to know ur landing exp. all the best for you.

swapnochary

loveucanada said:
Dear all,

Finally, finally, it's my turn to write something about my landing experience.

First of all, I would like to express my sincere appreciation to all you guys who answered my questions, shared your stories, and encouraged me to face horrible waiting during the past 13 months since I submitted my initial application to NS through I got my PPR.
I'm going to end up my landing "story" and may all of you a great, great, great new year of 2011!

Love-U-Canada! :)