+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child born to a Canadian Citizen outside Canada

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sunnyinlombardy said:
We'll be going to Calgary. I'm gonna look it up now, I thought all provinces had 3 months wait period.
There are only 4 provinces that have a waiting period for PR's and citizens coming from outside Canada. Those are Ontario, Quebec, BC and NB.

Alberta is indeed a province that gets you first day health care if you are coming from outside Canada. However, with all provinces, there is an eligibility requirement for health care. This is usually a commitment to reside in the province for at least 6 months a year. Because of that, you should stay in AB for at least 6 months. If you go to AB and sign up for health care and then move to another province without staying 6 months in your first year, it could be seen as health care fraud and they could force you to pay back what they covered for you.

Rachael

Nov 16, 2014
My daughter is here in Canada her father applied for a citizenship certificate for her he sent it as urgency for proof of citizenship certificate for her to get it to receive her health care coverage how long will it takes for immigration Canada to send her citizenship certificate to us? Please help

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Rachael said:
My daughter is here in Canada her father applied for a citizenship certificate for her he sent it as urgency for proof of citizenship certificate for her to get it to receive her health care coverage how long will it takes for immigration Canada to send her citizenship certificate to us? Please help
No one can really answer that for you.

atra

Sep 16, 2014
canuck_in_uk said:
No one can really answer that for you.
Issuance of Canadian Citizenship Certificate normally takes 8 to 10 months. I know a case who applied from OSLO Norway which also took about 7 months.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
atra said:
Issuance of Canadian Citizenship Certificate normally takes 8 to 10 months. I know a case who applied from OSLO Norway which also took about 7 months.
That is the posted processing time for apps submitted outside of Canada. Note that the poster has submitted the app in Canada AND requested urgent processing, so there is no way anyone here can really say how long it will take.

cillyx5

Star Member
Oct 13, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-10-2015
AOR Received.
07-15-2015
Is there a different process to apply for my son's citizenship if we are living in the USA? (I am a Canadian citizen, he was born in the USA, and we live in the USA).

Also, what are people using as the second identification for their babies? The first will be his US passport, but I have no other identification for him… As he has no health insurance card with his name on it, nor does he have a drivers licence! haha.

Ray_Of_Hope

Star Member
Nov 4, 2013
I have a similar question. I would soon be immigrating to Canada with my 5 -6 months old baby.
I understand that, we have to wait for 3 months to get the Quebec medical insurance.

Do they have any exception to the rule in the case of a 5 months old baby (in Quebec)? Or Would I have to get a private Health Insurance?

Thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
cillyx5 said:
Is there a different process to apply for my son's citizenship if we are living in the USA? (I am a Canadian citizen, he was born in the USA, and we live in the USA).

Also, what are people using as the second identification for their babies? The first will be his US passport, but I have no other identification for him... As he has no health insurance card with his name on it, nor does he have a drivers licence! haha.
Send copies of 2 of your ID's. I am sure they don't expect your son to have a DL yet :)

The only thing that is different about living in the USA rather than somewhere else is that in the US, you would send your application directly to Sydney NS while if you lived in another country, you should apply through the Canadian embassy responsible for your country.

Here are your steps on how to apply: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/proof-how.asp

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ray_Of_Hope said:
I have a similar question. I would soon be immigrating to Canada with my 5 -6 months old baby.
I understand that, we have to wait for 3 months to get the Quebec medical insurance.

Do they have any exception to the rule in the case of a 5 months old baby (in Quebec)? Or Would I have to get a private Health Insurance?

Thanks
I have heard that OHIP makes exceptions on the waiting period for babies up to 6-7 months. I haven't heard if RAMQ does the same but you should definitely contact them and ask. It is very important to have insurance if you need to wait for health care in case there is an emergency.

You can find RAMQ contact info here: http://www.ramq.gouv.qc.ca/en/contact-us/citizens/Pages/contact-us.aspx

sahar habib

Dec 22, 2010
Urgent Support Needed

Can anyone have an idea about limited validity passport from Pakistan.

1. What is the Fees and where to submit ?
2. Where to apply ?
3. Should i email citizenship certificate in original with my child application.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
sahar habib said:
1. What is the Fees and where to submit ?
2. Where to apply ?
3. Should i email citizenship certificate in original with my child application.
If you have the child's citizenship certificate, then apply for the child's passport as normal. Limited validity passports are for those who have not yet received proof of citizenship.

http://www.ppt.gc.ca/info/form.aspx?lang=eng&region=international

DKG

Mar 17, 2015
Hello everyone! I have some questions about filling out the CIT 0001 (Application for a Citizenship Certificate for Adults and Minors) on behalf of my daughters.

Background: I am Canadian by birth (born in Canada), my wife is American, and we are claiming Canadian citizenship for our three young daughters while we are all living in the USA.

Questions:
1. In section 8a of the form (Applicant's Parents), do I need to enter information for my wife, even though she is not Canadian?

2. If yes, do I just write N/A in response to questions like "How did this parent obtain Canadian citizenship?" and "Did this parent leave Canada for more than 1 year before 1977?"?

3. Do I need to fill out section 8b (Applicant's Grandparents), even though my own citizenship status is sufficient for claiming citizenship for our daughters? If yes, do I fill out for both me and my wife? If yes, do I write N/A for me, since I was NOT "born outside Canada," and check off the "no" boxes for my wife, since she was "born outside Canada," thus not actually listing any names and data for any grandparents?

4. Am I right to conclude that my daughters (all under 14) do not need to sign the form (section 10)? The form says I need to sign for under-14 children, but does not actually say they don't need to sign.

5. Am I right that I do NOT need to send a copy of our marriage certificate along? Am I right that our daughter's birth certificates, which list us as parents, are sufficient evidence in this regard?

Thanks in advance for your help!

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
DKG said:
Hello everyone! I have some questions about filling out the CIT 0001 (Application for a Citizenship Certificate for Adults and Minors) on behalf of my daughters.

Background: I am Canadian by birth (born in Canada), my wife is American, and we are claiming Canadian citizenship for our three young daughters while we are all living in the USA.

Questions:
1. In section 8a of the form (Applicant's Parents), do I need to enter information for my wife, even though she is not Canadian?

2. If yes, do I just write N/A in response to questions like "How did this parent obtain Canadian citizenship?" and "Did this parent leave Canada for more than 1 year before 1977?"?

3. Do I need to fill out section 8b (Applicant's Grandparents), even though my own citizenship status is sufficient for claiming citizenship for our daughters? If yes, do I fill out for both me and my wife? If yes, do I write N/A for me, since I was NOT "born outside Canada," and check off the "no" boxes for my wife, since she was "born outside Canada," thus not actually listing any names and data for any grandparents?

4. Am I right to conclude that my daughters (all under 14) do not need to sign the form (section 10)? The form says I need to sign for under-14 children, but does not actually say they don't need to sign.

5. Am I right that I do NOT need to send a copy of our marriage certificate along? Am I right that our daughter's birth certificates, which list us as parents, are sufficient evidence in this regard?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Unless you can get a definitive answer from CIC, I can only tell you how I would do it (having filled out a similar form for myself years ago).

1) Probably not, but I would do it anyway. Better to be thorough than to have the applications delayed.

2) I would write "not a Canadian citizen" and "N/A".

3) Yes, "N/A" for yourself and "no" for your wife. No need to list any grandparents.

4) Although I'm sure that your signature is all that's required, unless your daughters are too young to write, it wouldn't hurt to have them sign also. In addition, write your information and sign as the person who assisted with the form

5) Correct, the marriage certificate is not listed as a required document. Would I make a copy and include it? Yes, because it's so easy to do...unless you don't have one at hand.

DKG

Mar 17, 2015
Thanks much, Alphazip! That's very helpful. (Getting a "definite answer from CIC" is difficult, since I can't even find that they provide a phone number for ex-patriot Canadians to call them about such questions. Unbelievable!)

Regarding my question 4, I'm leaning toward not having any of my daughters sign. Two of the three are too young to sign at all, and I think it will only look confusing to have one sign (listing me as her assistant) and the others not. Make sense?

Does anyone else want to offer a second opinion on Alphazip's response? I hope to get this thing in the mail within a few days here...