+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child born to a Canadian Citizen outside Canada

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Rachael said:
Can anyone please help me with these questions I need answers right away thank you
I already answered you here: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/child-born-to-a-canadian-citizen-outside-canada-t61657.0.html;msg3726269#msg3726269

Rachael

Nov 16, 2014
Rachael said:
PLEASE HELP! Will she be able to get help in Canada after she arrives in Canada how do we get ID for her in Canada and health care do we have to apply for her citizen certificate in Canada as soon as we get here and by applying does it makes her get a government issued photo identification card here in Canada?

Rachael

Nov 16, 2014
Rachael said:
Hi leon you shore that we can bring our daughter to Canada with a barbadian passport and that she will get entry at Canada airport. She is also canadian by birth because her father is naturalize Canadian citizen she is 4 months old. Please explain to me thank you

IvanP

Champion Member
Jul 24, 2012
CA-Montréal
Visa Office......
Montreal-citizenship
App. Filed.......
25-09-2017
Rachael said:
PLEASE HELP! Will she be able to get help in Canada after she arrives in Canada how do we get ID for her in Canada and health care do we have to apply for her citizen certificate in Canada as soon as we get here and by applying does it makes her get a government issued photo identification card here in Canada?
Healthcare is a provincial matter, so you will need to check into what your province requires. Often people need to wait 3 months for health insurance upon arrival, but that can be different under certain circumstances (my kids didn't have to wait upon arrival to Quebec because our move was considered a "family reunification" even though I sponsored and moved with them!). There may be a similar option for you in your province, but you'll have to check with the province. You may be able to use your husband's proof of citizenship along with the foreign birth certificate to prove citizenship to your province, and as the child of a citizen and resident who are already resident, you may not have to wait (in an ideal world you shouldn't have to wait...), but that will depend on your province's rules. You can buy traveler's insurance, just in case, and it should be refundable if your child becomes covered under a provincial plan, and then you won't feel panicked during this process.

In the meantime, you can prepare your citizenship certificate application right away and request expedited processing because you need ID to get a health insurance card. It might be easier, cheaper and quicker to mail it from Canada when you arrive, depending on when you plan to leave.

gambit_24

Dec 2, 2014
Hi everyone,

My wife was in Canada and her permanent residence applicaton is "in process. Last December 2014 she was gave birth to our daughter in Canada. My question is, does our daughter is qualified for canadian citizenship. I am also under sponsorship program,and i am still waiting for my COPR.

mimi23

Star Member
Aug 3, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
gambit_24 said:
Hi everyone,

My wife was in Canada and her permanent residence applicaton is "in process. Last December 2014 she was gave birth to our daughter in Canada. My question is, does our daughter is qualified for canadian citizenship. I am also under sponsorship program,and i am still waiting for my COPR.
if she gave birth in canada yes the kid is canadian By birth just apply her passport if u want

Audjgal

Star Member
Aug 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-09-2013
AOR Received.
11-10-2013
Med's Done....
20-08-2013
Hi there,
Hopefully some senior members who have gone through the same thing can help me out with some questions I have with planning ahead.

I am from a Visa-exempt country, Singapore, and am married to a Canadian Citizen(by birth). I'm also currently 20 weeks pregnant and I'm thinking of heading home to give birth so my parents can see their first grandkid.
I'm under Inland Spousal( sept 2013) and don't foresee getting Decision Made or PR card in hand before I give birth.
From what I've researched I can get a Singapore passport for my baby withing 3-4 weeks of birth so we,( including hubby) are planning to return together as soon as we have it in hand. I do not foresee any problems travelling back to Canada with our baby but is there anything I should be concerned about?
Should we start the Canadian Citizenship Certificate process with the Singapore Embassy there before we leave?
I'm finding it hard to wrap my head around the one year timeline I keep reading about. Seriously?!?!
How would i apply for OHIP for the baby then without the certificate?
Will there be a 3 month wait for OHIP as well?
What else should I be concerned about or keep in mind?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Audjgal said:
I do not foresee any problems travelling back to Canada with our baby but is there anything I should be concerned about?
Should we start the Canadian Citizenship Certificate process with the Singapore Embassy there before we leave?
I'm finding it hard to wrap my head around the one year timeline I keep reading about. Seriously?!?!
How would i apply for OHIP for the baby then without the certificate?
Will there be a 3 month wait for OHIP as well?
What else should I be concerned about or keep in mind?
Hi

With an inland application, it is advised that you don't leave Canada. Many people have had no issue re-entering after a short holiday but you are talking about leaving for several months to give birth abroad. If CIC finds out, they will cancel your inland application.

If you apply for the Certificate of Citizenship in Singapore, you can immediately apply for a limited validity Canadian passport.

The actual processing time is usually less.

Without proof of Canadian citizenship, your baby cannot get OHIP. This is why it would be important to get the Canadian passport in Singapore.

Contact OHIP. Depending on how long you are gone, you may be able to keep coverage. As far as I know, because the baby would be born outside of Canada, s/he would have to wait the 3 months.

You really should consider having the baby in Canada.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
canuck_in_uk said:
Hi

Contact OHIP. Depending on how long you are gone, you may be able to keep coverage. As far as I know, because the baby would be born outside of Canada, s/he would have to wait the 3 months.

There are exception to the rule in applying the 3 months wait for new babies for OHIP. When I moved back to Canada and applied for OHIP for my 2 kids, the youngest one at the time was 5 months old. They gave my 5 months old baby immediate access to OHIP, meanwhile my older daughter (2 years old) and I had to wait for 3 months before getting access. I asked them why my youngest got OHIP right away explaining that I thought she had to wait 3 months like me and my older daughter. They told me they make exceptions to babies up to 6-7 months. After that, they have to wait 3 months. This is not a well known information.

Screech339

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
screech339 said:
They told me they make exceptions to babies up to 6-7 months. After that, they have to wait 3 months.
Interesting, thanks for the info.

Audjgal

Star Member
Aug 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-09-2013
AOR Received.
11-10-2013
Med's Done....
20-08-2013
canuck_in_uk said:
Hi

With an inland application, it is advised that you don't leave Canada. Many people have had no issue re-entering after a short holiday but you are talking about leaving for several months to give birth abroad. If CIC finds out, they will cancel your inland application.

If you apply for the Certificate of Citizenship in Singapore, you can immediately apply for a limited validity Canadian passport.

The actual processing time is usually less.

Without proof of Canadian citizenship, your baby cannot get OHIP. This is why it would be important to get the Canadian passport in Singapore.

I got my OWP a couple weeks ago so I'll have OHIP before I give birth so its tempting but I like my doctor back home better and I'd rather travel once with an infant then twice if I returned home after giving birth here in Canada. I've already travelled twice maybe thrice back home since the we submitted the Inland application, the longest was 5 months by myself so I really don't think CIC is going to cancel my application because of another two month trip,esp with an OWP in hand. I've been in and out of Canada since '91 when I came here for Uni and haven't had any issues, always make sure I'm in status. Again , this has been my experience so far, but I understand why some people are cautious about leaving during an inland application.

Thanks for the heads up about OHIP Screech, my friend was just telling me that babies get sick a lot so I would be in need of OHIP ASAP!
Does Anyone have experience getting a Citizenship certificate and limited Validity Passport from the Singapore Consulate? Any rough timelines to share? I'm planning to start the paperwork and payment for it before I give birth so my paperwork-allergic-husband has the minimum to deal with once I give birth.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Audjgal said:
I've already travelled twice maybe thrice back home since the we submitted the Inland application, the longest was 5 months by myself so I really don't think CIC is going to cancel my application because of another two month trip,esp with an OWP in hand.
If you were gone for 5 months on your own, then CIC doesn't know that. They would have cancelled your app if they had found out, as a requirement of an inland app is that you be cohabiting in Canada with your spouse.

MacnCheese

Star Member
Oct 31, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna/Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20 Jan 2015 sponsorship submitted to Mississauga
Doc's Request.
20 Aug 2015
AOR Received.
18 Mar 2015, SA received 02 April 2015
Med's Done....
06 Nov 2014
Passport Req..
5 Oct 2015
VISA ISSUED...
15 Oct 2015
I’m wondering if anyone can help with me with trying to sort out our best options going forward for a hypothetical but very possible situation. It’s fairly complicated, so I hope I’ve explained everything clearly!

We’ve just submitted an outland spouse PR application for my husband (Australian citizen by birth). I’m a Canadian citizen by birth (and naturalised Australian citizen as well). We are currently living in the Netherlands as my husband is on a work contract until June 2016, which is when we plan to move back to Canada ideally. My husband would ideally like to see through his contract, but of course we are prepared to move as necessary. We’re trying to start a family at the moment and are looking at all of our options for the best place to have the baby, presuming I get pregnant within the next 6 months or so. Our residency in the Netherlands also expires in June 2016, and our health insurance there also expires at that point, so effectively we have to be out by June 2016.

Because we are living in the Netherlands where neither of us are citizens, we are getting concerned about timing with his visa application currently in progress and the chances of me being due early next year.

My question is if we were to decide to have the baby in the Netherlands early next year, do you think we would be eligible for an urgent certificate of citizenship to be issued to the baby so we could move back to Canada? What is the process for getting the certificate of citizenship for newborns, and then a passport whilst living overseas? And do you think CIC would be at all understanding of the situation (if it were to eventuate) if my husband is given a date to arrive in Canada around my due date?

We can get Australian citizenship for the baby in a much more realistic time frame of about 1 month, plus another couple of weeks for a passport, but would this cause any dramas when we get back to Canada? Australia is visa exempt.

Obviously this is all hypothetical at this point, but we’d like to know what our options are so we can be as prepared as possible. I’ve investigated pregnancy insurance in Canada already and we are thinking about taking that out ASAP to cover a potential delivery in Ontario as I wouldn’t be eligible for OHIP for 3 months. And it would also give us the option of returning to Canada to have the baby if we decide this is the best way to go.

If anyone can shed any light into how quick urgent certificate of citizenship requests are dealt with, it would be appreciated as this will influence our planning at this point. Or if there’s no problem with bringing a newborn on an Australian passport, then sorting Canadian citizenship from Canada.

Many thanks for any help you can provide!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There would be no problem bringing your baby on an Australian passport and clear citizenship once you get to Canada.

In order to get Canadian citizenship for the baby, as you are living outside Canada, you would need to apply through the embassy and while claiming an urgent need to travel and showing tickets, you could apply for a temporary passport for the baby through the embassy before you get the citizenship certificate. However, this will likely take longer than the 6 weeks you say it takes to get the passport from Australia.

Audjgal

Star Member
Aug 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-09-2013
AOR Received.
11-10-2013
Med's Done....
20-08-2013
I do cohabit with my spouse and have all the evidence of a shared household. I've been married for five years and have already more than satisfied the minimum one year rule, (which I'm not sure even applies to legally married spouses as opposed to common-law). It's not like I leave and have no communication with my spouse, he does visit me in my home country, there's daily communication etc. I'm pretty sure breaks of cohabitation are allowed for family illnesses and work. There is certainly no CIC definition of a 'short" break. Compared to my current application processing time of 17 months, I consider 5 months to be short indeed! I was travelling back and forth before I stumbled upon this forum that people are advised not to travel. I refuse to not have a life but then thats me.
Now for the real reason I posted on this thread.
Has anyone applied for a Citizenship Certificate and Limited Validity passport from the Singapore Consulate? What was your experience with timeline?

Should I get tickets back to Canada before I show up at the embassy to show an urgent need to travel back or is a month enough time to process the LV passport?