+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child born to a Canadian Citizen outside Canada

chenh

Aug 26, 2014
Hi, me and my wife we are both naturalized Canadians. Our baby is born abroad 3 months ago and now we are back to Toronto because we live here.

My daughter has an English certified birth certificate from the court of the country where she was born, also she has obtained Canada passport and OHIP. She is still waiting to receive her citizenship certificate and she does not have her SIN card yet.

I would really appreciate this forum's help to guide me to the right path.

My questions are:

1) Can I apply SIN card before getting the citizenship certificate? For example use my daughter's Canada passport?

2) Do I need to wait for my daughter's SIN card before applying for benefits: Canada child tax benefit (CCTB), National Child Benefit (NCBS), Universal Child Care Benefit (UCCB)?

3) I see that for babies born in Canada, parents can use the Automated Benefits Application (ABA) to apply for all benefits, but for my situation assuming that I have everything required ready, how do I go about applying for the three benefits listed in point #2?

Thanks a lot!

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
chenh said:
My questions are:

1) Can I apply SIN card before getting the citizenship certificate? For example use my daughter's Canada passport?
As regards the first question, I would say no. One time when I was in a Service Canada office, I wanted to ask a question about my SIN and was asked if I had proof of Canadian citizenship with me. I said, yes, I had my passport. I was told that a passport is a travel document, not proof of citizenship! I personally think that's a rather bizarre view, seeing as Canada expects other countries to recognize the holder as a Canadian citizen. And, I certainly think that other countries (the U.S., U.K., etc.) view their passports as proof of citizenship.

As can be seen here, they want a Certificate of Canadian Citizenship: http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/sin/apply/proof.shtml

atra

Sep 16, 2014
screech339 said:
There are exception to the rule in applying the 3 months wait for new babies for OHIP. When I moved back to Canada and applied for OHIP for my 2 kids, the youngest one at the time was 5 months old. They gave my 5 months old baby immediate access to OHIP, meanwhile my older daughter (2 years old) and I had to wait for 3 months before getting access. I asked them why my youngest got OHIP right away explaining that I thought she had to wait 3 months like me and my older daughter. They told me they make exceptions to babies up to 6-7 months. After that, they have to wait 3 months. This is not a well known information.May I know which province you are mentioning in your quoted case

Screech339

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
OHIP is in Ontario.

However, most provinces do not have a waiting period for health care if you are moving from another country.

The provinces that have a waiting period for those who are moving from another country as far as I know are Ontario, BC, New Brunswick and Quebec.

atra

Sep 16, 2014

Thanks.
I think my question was absurd. Did not register word "OHIP"

However, most provinces do not have a waiting period for health care if you are moving from another country.

The provinces that have a waiting period for those who are moving from another country as far as I know are Ontario, BC, New Brunswick and Quebec.
[/quote]

MEKUS

Star Member
Aug 28, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
3-11-2014
AOR Received.
20-1-2015
File Transfer...
27-1-2015
Med's Done....
25-9-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
12-5-2015
VISA ISSUED...
1-6-2015
LANDED..........
16-9-2015
Hi All,
I want to apply for citizenship certificate for a child in Nigeria. Does anyone know which consulate to submit the application, Lagos, Abuja or Accra? Please help

sunnyinlombardy

Star Member
Mar 30, 2013
Hi everyone!

I'm a Canadian citizen, my daughter was born in Italy to an Italian father. I've already sent off the application for her proof of citizenship. Does it really take so long to get it?

We are planning on going to Canada this summer, husband's PR application is in process. What happens if my daughter doesn't receive her proof of citizenship before then? I know that she can travel to Canada with her Italian passport. But I guess she won't have access to health care until she receives her citizenship card, does anyone have experience with this?

Another questions, her application was send about a month ago. It was send to embassy in Rome, they returned all original documents and said that her application was forwarded to Canada and that we wll hear from them. Does anyone how long does it take to hear from them? Am I going to receive an email or a letter? I tried looking up her application status online but it says she cannot be found yet. I guess they haven't started processing it.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Once you have bought your tickets, you can apply for a temporary passport for her based on that you have applied for the citizenship certificate already, didn't get it yet but urgently need to travel.

If that doesn't happen for some reason, you can travel with her on her Italian passport. You may have problems explaining to your health care why she should be covered though.

sunnyinlombardy said:
Hi everyone!

I'm a Canadian citizen, my daughter was born in Italy to an Italian father. I've already sent off the application for her proof of citizenship. Does it really take so long to get it?

We are planning on going to Canada this summer, husband's PR application is in process. What happens if my daughter doesn't receive her proof of citizenship before then? I know that she can travel to Canada with her Italian passport. But I guess she won't have access to health care until she receives her citizenship card, does anyone have experience with this?

Another questions, her application was send about a month ago. It was send to embassy in Rome, they returned all original documents and said that her application was forwarded to Canada and that we wll hear from them. Does anyone how long does it take to hear from them? Am I going to receive an email or a letter? I tried looking up her application status online but it says she cannot be found yet. I guess they haven't started processing it.

atra

Sep 16, 2014
I had seen in some previous post by a member on this forum that OHIP is provided to new borne if they are 6 months or less. Had tried to ascertain the relevant rule/regulations but could not find any thing.
CIC provides the UCI for the citizenship applicant to respective Canadian High Commission who in turn forward this information to the concerned applicants. In case of CHC Islamabad, applications initiated in 2nd week of April are likely to get the UCI by end Feb or mid March. You will have to inquire the time line for CHC Rome from Italy.
sunnyinlombardy said:
Thanks Leon. I'm worried about get her health care as soon as we land. I will look into temporary passport application.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
atra said:
I had seen in some previous post by a member on this forum that OHIP is provided to new borne if they are 6 months or less. Had tried to ascertain the relevant rule/regulations but could not find any thing.
CIC provides the UCI for the citizenship applicant to respective Canadian High Commission who in turn forward this information to the concerned applicants. In case of CHC Islamabad, applications initiated in 2nd week of April are likely to get the UCI by end Feb or mid March. You will have to inquire the time line for CHC Rome from Italy.
I wrote the post about OHIP being given to canadian newborn 6 months or less. It is not common knowledge as they gave my youngest, at the time, 5 months old full ohip coverage when I came back rto Canada. Not sure if there is such a rule or written procedure as this was something I wasn't aware of anywhere.

Screech339

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sunnyinlombardy said:
Thanks Leon. I'm worried about getting her health care as soon as we land. I will look into temporary passport application.
Which province are you going to in Canada? Each has its own health care rules. In some, coverage is immediate and in others (e.g., Ontario) there is a waiting period.

Here is the rule for Nova Scotia: "If you are a returning Canadian Citizen or a returning Permanent Resident moving permanently to Nova Scotia from outside Canada, MSI will provide first day coverage." And "Dependent Children under the age of 19 are granted coverage on the same basis as their parents once the applicant has gained entitlement."

I think you would have to check with the appropriate provincial health department to determine if they would be willing to cover your daughter w/o her having a Certificate of Canadian Citizenship.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
sunnyinlombardy said:
We'll be going to Calgary. I'm gonna look it up now, I thought all provinces had 3 months wait period.
That will be fine. As a returning Canadian and a new PR moving to Canada, Alberta will give you guys full coverage on day 1; you can include your dependent child in your application even if she has no proof of Canadian citizenship.