+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child born to a Canadian Citizen outside Canada

Discussion in 'Citizenship' started by S.K, Jan 13, 2011.

  1. Can any one paste the link here to download kit for applying Citizenship of a child who is born outside Canada to a Canadian Father?
  2. This would be the one you need: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/certif.asp
  3. Correct me if I am wrong:
    According to that link Leon posted, I understand that baby born outside Canada to a canadian father and non-canadian mother would get canadian citizenship by birth but parents would still need to apply for certificate on behalf of the baby and the processing time is 10 MONTH!! :eek:
  4. Hi

    Yes, but the parents can apply for a limited validity Canadian passport if the child is under 2, which only takes a couple of weeks with proof of the birth and the parents citizenship/
  5. What does it mean limited validity Canadian passport?
    Another question: if the baby is born outside and you want to return to canada while he is just couple month old, so you can easily enter canada with his birth certificate obtained in the country he was born and then apply for that limited passport? thank you
  6. Hi

    1. A limited validity passport is only good for a maximum of 2 years.
    2. No you have to apply for the passport at the CHC which serves the area where you live. see: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2009/ob154.asp
  7. I am a canadian citizen and my husband is indian. We are liveing outside Canada. Now will my child too be considered as a Canadian Citizen regardless in which conutry he is born. He would get a Canadian passport too, right? Can we take care of all this without staying in Canada. I now too many questions but clarifiacations will be appreciated. thank you all.
  8. If you are either born in Canada or you immigrated to Canada and were naturalized, your child will be a Canadian citizen. You would have to talk to a Canadian embassy when your child is born, apply for a citizenship card and once you get it, you can at any time apply for a passport for your child. If you need a passport faster than it takes waiting for the citizenship card (a year+), you can ask the embassy to issue a temporary passport as soon as you have applied for the card.

    If you were not born in Canada and did not immigrate but gained citizenship because one or both of your parents were citizens when you were born, you can not pass citizenship to your child. In that case, if you want to move to Canada, you have to sponsor your child for PR.
  9. Can any one tell me how to get a new passport for a new born child who is born outside Canada to a Canadian father and non-Canadian mother as well as how to renew a Canadian passport if living outside Canada?
  10. You can find your passport application forms at http://www.ppt.gc.ca/cdn/index.aspx?lang=eng For the baby, you have to start by applying for the certificate of citizenship through the Canadian embassy where you are. You can find the forms here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/certif.asp The processing time is long but you can apply for a temporary passport for the baby at the embassy once you have applied for the citizenship certificate. You can also ask to have the citizenship certificate expedited if you have plans to travel with the baby in the near future.
  11. Hello

    Our child is born outside Canada and he is 18 months old. His mother is Canadian citizen and father is Indian citizen.At the moment child and father are in India and mother is in Canada. Father's PR is in process.

    We want to apply for child's citizenship certificate and Passport.

    1. Can Indian citizen father apply for citizenship certificate and Canadian passport for child?
    2. Can it only be applied at India? Or can it also be applied in Canada? (Child is in India)
    3. What kind of complications may be there?

    Awaiting expert advice from senior members here.
  12. Your first step would be to contact the Canadian embassy because that is where you apply if you are outside Canada. I don't see that there would be any complications.
  13. @Leon

    Thank you for your reply.
  14. hi - im a naturalized canadian , i was married outside canada and had a child born outside canada as well, my question is i want them both in canada - should i directly sponsor them or should i apply for my childs citizenship certificate 1st then sponsor my wife-- please help!! thanz

Share This Page