+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child born to a Canadian Citizen outside Canada

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Apply for the childs citizenship certificate at the same time you sponsor your wife.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
robin 107 said:
hi - im a naturalized canadian , i was married outside canada and had a child born outside canada as well, my question is i want them both in canada - should i directly sponsor them or should i apply for my childs citizenship certificate 1st then sponsor my wife-- please help!! thanz
If you were at Canadian citizen at the time the child was born you do not need to sponsor it, only your wife.

robin 107

Mar 4, 2011
thank you for the answers ;D, yeah i am a canadian before my son was born and is married for 6 years now.
:-\ -if i were to apply for citizenship certificate for my son (age 4) first and at the same time sponsor my wife , all my documents would be tied up,applying for the citizenship certificate or should i put both application in the same enveloped? ???

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You have to apply separately for your child citizenship certificate & spouse sponsorship. See the website http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/index.asp for details.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
To apply for a citizenship certificate, follow the instructions here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/proof-how.asp

You will send the application to the Canadian embassy, high commission or consulate responsible for your area.

To sponsor your wife, follow the instructions here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse-apply-how.asp

You will send the application to Mississauga where they will first approve you as a sponsor and then send your file to the embassy responsible for your area.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
Leon said:
To apply for a citizenship certificate, follow the instructions here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/proof-how.asp

You will send the application to the Canadian embassy, high commission or consulate responsible for your area.

To sponsor your wife, follow the instructions here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse-apply-how.asp

You will send the application to Mississauga where they will first approve you as a sponsor and then send your file to the embassy responsible for your area.
Leon: Is it more difficult to have the baby (born to a Canadian and a PR remain a citizen of the foreign country, but a PR in Canada?

I am thinking of China, for example, which will not allow dual citizenship. If the baby became a Canadian citizen, he/she would have to get a consular visa to visit China. But with PR status in Canada and a Chinese passport, he/she could enter both countries without need for a visa.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@ toby

No difficulty at all. We are in this situation.

Yes, China officially does not allow dual citizenship. However, China at the same time unofficially allows many people of Chinese nationality (Hong Kong people in particular) to have foreign passports as travel documents. So this won't be an issue unless the child oneday want to become a civil servant or politician of China when he/she reach age of majority.

salamab

Mar 5, 2011
Hi : I am Canadian Citizen and my son was born in USA and he got his USA passport because we have to move to another country and the quickest way was to get USA passport and travel. Now I need to apply for my son Canadian passport and I know I have to apply first for Canadian certificate to apply for his passport. So the first question Can he get Canadian passport even if he has USA passport and second should I submit the Canadian certificate application to Canadian embassy in the country that I am living now or should I send to Canadian Embassy in USA? Would appreciate your suggestion.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It doesn't matter. You can to the embassy in the country that you living now or USA.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
toby said:
Leon: Is it more difficult to have the baby (born to a Canadian and a PR remain a citizen of the foreign country, but a PR in Canada?

I am thinking of China, for example, which will not allow dual citizenship. If the baby became a Canadian citizen, he/she would have to get a consular visa to visit China. But with PR status in Canada and a Chinese passport, he/she could enter both countries without need for a visa.
Toby, I do not believe that it is up to you to choose that your baby does not get your citizenship. I believe that the baby is already a Canadian citizen when it is born and therefore you would not be able to sponsor it for PR and that is probably what you would be told if you tried. Some countries will allow dual citizenship, some will allow it only if you are born with dual because of dual parents, some will make the child choose at a certain age. If that happened in your case, say the child chooses at 18 and chooses Chinese citizenship, it would no longer be a Canadian citizen in which case you might be able to sponsor it for PR. However, after that, the child would have to meet the residency requirements of living in Canada for 2/5 years or they lose their PR again.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
Leon said:
Toby, I do not believe that it is up to you to choose that your baby does not get your citizenship. I believe that the baby is already a Canadian citizen when it is born and therefore you would not be able to sponsor it for PR and that is probably what you would be told if you tried.
Hi Leon:

The child's mother would be Chinese, and the child would be born in China, so why would the child automatically be considered to be Canadian?

But let's say you are right. Does that mean I simply apply for the child's Canadian passport at the embassy in Beijing? I thought I had read elsewhere (in a thread in which you participated) that the process is more difficult than this: I would have to apply for a Temp visa (and probably fail), then a TRV (on H&C grounds), get the child to Canada, then sponsor it to Canada as a PR then citizen. Have I understood correctly?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Toby,

You can go to Shanghai or Hong Kong to apply for your child's Canadian citizenship certificate. (not necessary Beijing!). Once it is a citizen, you don't have to sponsor it.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
toby said:
The child's mother would be Chinese, and the child would be born in China, so why would the child automatically be considered to be Canadian?
If you are the father and you are a citizen who was either born in Canada or immigrated to Canada, the child would automatically gain your Canadian citizenship.

toby said:
But let's say you are right. Does that mean I simply apply for the child's Canadian passport at the embassy in Beijing?
No, you have to apply for the baby's proof of citizenship (citizenship certificate) at the embassy in Beijing and once you have done that you can get a temporary passport for the baby. Once you have the certificate, you can apply for a regular passport for the baby.

toby said:
I thought I had read elsewhere (in a thread in which you participated) that the process is more difficult than this: I would have to apply for a Temp visa (and probably fail), then a TRV (on H&C grounds), get the child to Canada, then sponsor it to Canada as a PR then citizen. Have I understood correctly?
That is only if you are a citizen who was born outside Canada and gained citizenship not based on immigrating but based on that one or both of your parents were citizens at the time you were born. If that is the case with you, then you can not pass on citizenship to your baby directly, you would first have to sponsor for PR which you could do from outside Canada because you are a citizen. You would only have to prove that you are intending to move to Canada once your baby gets the PR.

It is only when the parents are PR's, not citizens, have a baby outside Canada, must sponsor for PR that they can try to apply for a temporary visa (=TRV) and if they are refused, they can try a ministers permit (=TRP) which might also be refused resulting in one of them to have to go to Canada to sponsor the baby and the other parent staying behind to take care of the baby while the sponsorship gets processed.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leon said:
No, you have to apply for the baby's proof of citizenship (citizenship certificate) at the embassy in Beijing and once you have done that you can get a temporary passport for the baby. Once you have the certificate, you can apply for a regular passport for the baby.
No, Leon, toby can apply for baby's proof of citizenship (citizenship certificate) at the consulate in Beijing, Shanghai and Hong Kong and once toby has done and got that he can get a temporary passport (valid for 3 years from date of issue) for the baby. See this link:

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/hong_kong/passport_services_passeport/children-pass-enfants.aspx?lang=eng

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
steaky said:
No, Leon, toby can apply for baby's proof of citizenship (citizenship certificate) at the consulate in Beijing, Shanghai and Hong Kong and once toby has done and got that he can get a temporary passport (valid for 3 years from date of issue) for the baby. See this link:

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/hong_kong/passport_services_passeport/children-pass-enfants.aspx?lang=eng
I mentioned Beijing because he only mentioned Beijing so I assumed that was best suited for him but true, if Shanghai or Hong Kong is better for him, he can apply there.

From your own link, I read that they suggest that you postpone your travel plans until the baby has gotten the citizenship card but when not possible:

Following submission of the citizenship application, if travel plans cannot be deferred, you may submit a fully completed passport application along with all supporting documentation as well as your child's proof of travel, itinerary or airline ticket, as supporting documentation to assess the case. As your child does not have citizenship documents, you will need to submit the original proof of Canadian citizenship from one of the parents, the original foreign birth certificate showing both parents' names, original marriage certificate of the parents (optional), and the receipt confirming submission of the citizenship application. Our passport examiners will assess your case and determine the necessity of issuing a limited validity passport to meet your child’s travel needs.
So it doesn't sound like you would get a 3 year passport for your child unless you have the citizenship certificate already before you apply.