+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bridging Open Work Permit (BOWP) under express entry - connect here

BeesaMaester

May 6, 2019
Hi All,

I am new to this group. I have applied for BOWP (Bridging Open Work Permit) on March 29th, 2019. Along with my application, I also applied for a spousal work permit for my wife who is in India. Currently, both applications show status as - "Your application is in progress. We will send you a message when we start reviewing your eligibility."
I had two queries:-
1. Where can I check the current applications CIC is working on? I feel CIC is still working on applications submitted on a much earlier date.
2. While applying for my own BOWP, I found an option to apply for my wife as well. Is it normal? Or should I be worried that CIC may reject our applications all together? My wife did receive a request to submit her biometrics from CIC immediately after we submitted the application. Biometrics has been submitted and sent on April 9th. After that we did not receive any further communication from CIC.

BeesaMaester

May 6, 2019
Hi All,

I am new to this group. I have applied for BOWP (Bridging Open Work Permit) on March 29th, 2019. Along with my application, I also applied for a spousal work permit for my wife who is in India. Currently, both applications show status as - "Your application is in progress. We will send you a message when we start reviewing your eligibility."
I had two queries:-
1. Where can I check the current applications CIC is working on? I feel CIC is still working on applications submitted on a much earlier date.
2. While applying for my own BOWP, I found an option to apply for my wife as well. Is it normal? Or should I be worried that CIC may reject our applications all together? My wife did receive a request to submit her biometrics from CIC immediately after we submitted the application. Biometrics has been submitted and sent on April 9th. After that we did not receive any further communication from CIC.

Few more details about my profile:
I have an open work permit expiring on 16th May, 2019.

Chandar 91

Star Member
Nov 20, 2018
Hey Guys need your help!!!! I have applied for my Permanent residence and my PGWP is expiring next month and I am in process of applying for my Bridge work permit. do we need to submit our proof for medical exam?
I already have done a medical exam for PR, should i submit the same? Need your answers guys

Thank you!!!!!!!

Reactions: vis14ndreamz

vis14ndreamz

Star Member
Jul 8, 2018
since I have to renew my WP I phoned the call center because my status says that my eligibility is still under review. The agent told me that the eligibility is met and a final decision will be made by June. So I could apply for BOWP. Is there anyone who got the same kind of response from call center saying that your eligibility is met. Because my cic account still says it is under Review. If they say Met is it a positive sign. My BG check says in processing. Please help..

vis14ndreamz

Star Member
Jul 8, 2018
That's much better, thanks.

Did you apply for PR through express entry? It seems to me that considering the time since you applied + the time you'll spend as a visitor + the 4 months on a closed work permit, you'll will probably have your PR application approved by the time your closed work permit expires. If not, I don't see why you couldn't apply for a BOWP.

So to answer your questions:
1) I'd say yes since there will be less than 4 months left on your work permit, you will have valid status as worker and be physically in Canada as per (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/extend-permit/bridging-open-work-permit.html).

2) It's currently taking about 84 days as per IRCC's website. (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/check-processing-times.html) Go to work > work permit extension (new employer).

3) A BOWP is an open work permit so YES.

4) AFAIK, It's valid for a year. But since most EE applications are taking on average 6 months you would be safe.
Hi, could you please help me. I have to renew my WP I phoned the call center because my status says that my eligibility is still under review. The agent told me that the eligibility is met and a final decision will be made by June. So I could apply for BOWP. Is there anyone who got the same kind of response from call center saying that your eligibility is met. Because my cic account still says it is under Review. If they say Met is it a positive sign. My BG check says in processing. Please help..

ivan.bc

Star Member
Jan 10, 2019
Hey Guys need your help!!!! I have applied for my Permanent residence and my PGWP is expiring next month and I am in process of applying for my Bridge work permit. do we need to submit our proof for medical exam?
I already have done a medical exam for PR, should i submit the same? Need your answers guys

Thank you!!!!!!!
As long as your exam is still valid, you should be fine. I submitted the same eMedical sheet for my PR and BOWP applications and got the BOWP approved last week.

BonjourCA

Star Member
Mar 26, 2019
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
CIO Sydney
AOR Received.
11-04-2018
Hi,

I applied for the PR on April 2018 / CEC inland. I got my current BOWP on July 29th 2018.

My PR application is still ongoing (almost 14 months :(.....) and I have renewed my BOWP on April 2nd 2019.

My PR medical exam was dated March 2018 so it was expired when I renewed my BOWP. In the CIC tool "do you want to come to Canada..." I said that I didn't have a medical exam of less than 12 months, also that I was not working in the health field/with children etc.... Therefore when I completed my BOWP profile I was not asked for the medical proof...

By any chance, do you know if I can have my BOWP renewed without having to pass a new medical exam and having a work permit with restrictions (like can't work with children, in healthcare ...) ?

Thanks a lot !

ivan.bc

Star Member
Jan 10, 2019
Hi,

I applied for the PR on April 2018 / CEC inland. I got my current BOWP on July 29th 2018.

My PR application is still ongoing (almost 14 months :(.....) and I have renewed my BOWP on April 2nd 2019.

My PR medical exam was dated March 2018 so it was expired when I renewed my BOWP. In the CIC tool "do you want to come to Canada..." I said that I didn't have a medical exam of less than 12 months, also that I was not working in the health field/with children etc.... Therefore when I completed my BOWP profile I was not asked for the medical proof...

By any chance, do you know if I can have my BOWP renewed without having to pass a new medical exam and having a work permit with restrictions (like can't work with children, in healthcare ...) ?

Thanks a lot !
To the best of my knowledge, you need your medicals to be valid on the day you land as a PR.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/medical-police/medical-exams/requirements-permanent-residents.html

"How long your medical results are good for
Your medical exam results are valid for 12 months only. If you don’t come to Canada as a permanent resident within that time, you may need to have another exam."

If I were in your shoes, I would take the exams again, use them for the BOWP (and send them to your PR application as well). This way I would have a valid exam when they issued my PPR.

ivan.bc

Star Member
Jan 10, 2019
Hi,

Thanks a lot !
BTW, do you mind sharing why yours is taking so long? Did you order GCMS/call them to get a status update?

ivan.bc

Star Member
Jan 10, 2019
Hi, could you please help me. I have to renew my WP I phoned the call center because my status says that my eligibility is still under review. The agent told me that the eligibility is met and a final decision will be made by June. So I could apply for BOWP. Is there anyone who got the same kind of response from call center saying that your eligibility is met. Because my cic account still says it is under Review. If they say Met is it a positive sign. My BG check says in processing. Please help..
As far as I know, the online system is not very accurate when it comes to displaying your status. Also, you can use the eAOR letter that you get when you submit your application to apply for a BOWP and they will process it when your eligibility is met. No need to wait. Just make sure your WP expires in three months or less.

So yeah, go ahead and apply. You should be fine.

Sorry for the late reply, busy week.

Reactions: vis14ndreamz

BonjourCA

Star Member
Mar 26, 2019
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
CIO Sydney
AOR Received.
11-04-2018
To the best of my knowledge, you need your medicals to be valid on the day you land as a PR.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/medical-police/medical-exams/requirements-permanent-residents.html

"How long your medical results are good for
Your medical exam results are valid for 12 months only. If you don’t come to Canada as a permanent resident within that time, you may need to have another exam."

If I were in your shoes, I would take the exams again, use them for the BOWP (and send them to your PR application as well). This way I would have a valid exam when they issued my PPR.
Thanks for your reply.

For the PR, I am aware but I wasn't sure for the BOWP as it is a temporary work permit and in the past I had a WP without medical exam but it was a closed WP so I don't know... Most of CEC applicants have their medical exam extended automatically... This is why I didn't pass it again..

I know nobody who needed to renew their BOWP, due to CIC processing time, I feel alone ^^".

I have review required for my Canadian work experience. My file hasn't been opened since 26 April 2018.... It is stuck at Sydney NS... I have ordered the notes 4 times, I have called numerous times, I have sent 2 LOE, and two weeks ago I contacted my MP.... CIC response is always the same your application is in a queue to be reviewed by an officer, please be patient.........

vis14ndreamz

Star Member
Jul 8, 2018
As far as I know, the online system is not very accurate when it comes to displaying your status. Also, you can use the eAOR letter that you get when you submit your application to apply for a BOWP and they will process it when your eligibility is met. No need to wait. Just make sure your WP expires in three months or less.

So yeah, go ahead and apply. You should be fine.

Sorry for the late reply, busy week.
No worries thanks for the reply enjoy the weekend

Medwizkid

Jul 27, 2018
I am still waiting for my medicals to be reviewed by the central office due to a medical condition which will take up to 400days. I am 8 months post my EE submission and my BOWP is expiring on 22nd November. I wanted to know if the rule that your current work permit has to have less than four months on it hold for me to reapply for a BOWP because as it's stands today the processing time will be 99 days. I want to apply for a new BOWP mid June so I have the BOWP by mid October.

Next issue my medicals expire 3rd October. Is it okay that they will still be valid when I submit but not when they review them just looking at my timelines.

BeesaMaester

May 6, 2019
@ivan.bc I have applied for my BOWP on 27th March 2019. My current BOWP expired on 17th May 2019. I had called the agents and asked about my PR and BOWP status. Both is under progress. For BOWP the agent said they are working on the application received on 1st FEB 2019. My timeline shows that BOWP would be processed by 29th June 2019. Along my BOWP, I have also applied for my wife's Work permit. she is currently in India. By what time BOWP generally issued, does it get delayed like PR?

Therisaw

Star Member
Jun 8, 2013
Visa Office......
In Canada
App. Filed.......
06-05-2017
AOR Received.
05-05-2017
Thanks for your reply.

For the PR, I am aware but I wasn't sure for the BOWP as it is a temporary work permit and in the past I had a WP without medical exam but it was a closed WP so I don't know... Most of CEC applicants have their medical exam extended automatically... This is why I didn't pass it again..

I know nobody who needed to renew their BOWP, due to CIC processing time, I feel alone ^^".

I have review required for my Canadian work experience. My file hasn't been opened since 26 April 2018.... It is stuck at Sydney NS... I have ordered the notes 4 times, I have called numerous times, I have sent 2 LOE, and two weeks ago I contacted my MP.... CIC response is always the same your application is in a queue to be reviewed by an officer, please be patient.........
Omg I am now in the same position or worse than you! I applied for my PR on May 5, 2017 and still haven’t gotten it yet. I called, emailed and got MP called too- every time is the same thing. We are working on it we will let you know if we need anything. I’m currently in the BOWP which will expire in October so I will have to reapply in August. I felt alone because I don’t know anyone else who had to renew it. Did you end up have to renew your medical?