+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bridging Open Work Permit (BOWP) under express entry - connect here

Tiaa

Star Member
Mar 29, 2018
I already have applied for BOWP. I used a document that I received after submitting Express Entry. Application number is written in it. Many people say that we can use the document for BOWP. That's not different from AOR? My work visa will be expired on 3rd of April. I need to be in implied status so that I can work under the status. Is it right or wrong?
Hi there, could you please let me know how to apply BOWP by mail. I did not see this option while apply online. How I pay the fees and get the receipt if I send everything by paper? much appreciated!

Tiaa

Star Member
Mar 29, 2018
That's much better, thanks.

Did you apply for PR through express entry? It seems to me that considering the time since you applied + the time you'll spend as a visitor + the 4 months on a closed work permit, you'll will probably have your PR application approved by the time your closed work permit expires. If not, I don't see why you couldn't apply for a BOWP.

So to answer your questions:
1) I'd say yes since there will be less than 4 months left on your work permit, you will have valid status as worker and be physically in Canada as per (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/extend-permit/bridging-open-work-permit.html).

2) It's currently taking about 84 days as per IRCC's website. (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/check-processing-times.html) Go to work > work permit extension (new employer).

3) A BOWP is an open work permit so YES.

4) AFAIK, It's valid for a year. But since most EE applications are taking on average 6 months you would be safe.

Hi there, could you please let me know how to apply BOWP by mail. I did not see this option while apply online. How I pay the fees and get the receipt if I send everything by paper? much appreciated!

ivan.bc

Star Member
Jan 10, 2019
Hi everyone..
Im new here.. anyway i have some question that hoped to be answered...

1 . Is it possible to apply bwop eventhough you are not 4 months away from expiring?

2. If you have BWOP you can work in any employer?

IM a pnp pr applicant inland anyway

Thanks for those who will answer
This page says that you may be eligible if:
"your current work permit expires in 4 months or less"

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/extend-permit/bridging-open-work-permit.html

1) I believe nothing can stop you from applying, but the officer may refuse your application since you're not in the 4 month timeframe. I personally don't think they will, but it's in their right to do so. Also, considering that applications are currently taking about 90 days to be processed, when a officer opens your file you might be well within the 4 month timeframe (unless they consider the submission date instead of the date it's processed...).

2) It's called a Bridging OPEN Work Permit because it's an OPEN work permit. You're allowed to work for any employer as long as you're qualified to do so.

BTW, since you're a PNP candidate, you have to keep this in mind:
"If you applied through the Provincial Nominee Program and have employment restrictions as conditions of your nomination, you can’t get a bridging open work permit."

Tiaa

Star Member
Mar 29, 2018

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/extend-permit/bridging-open-work-permit.html

1) I believe nothing can stop you from applying, but the officer may refuse your application since you're not in the 4 month timeframe. I personally don't think they will, but it's in their right to do so. Also, considering that applications are currently taking about 90 days to be processed, when a officer opens your file you might be well within the 4 month timeframe (unless they consider the submission date instead of the date it's processed...).

2) It's called a Bridging OPEN Work Permit because it's an OPEN work permit. You're allowed to work for any employer as long as you're qualified to do so.

"If you applied through the Provincial Nominee Program and have employment restrictions as conditions of your nomination, you can’t get a bridging open work permit."

Hi there

Can you please also advise me on my situation?

I am trying to apply BOWP without ITA because of my PGWP expire on 8 May. Just try to buy some time for me while waiting for ITA. How could I apply by paper? and how can I pay the fees without applying online? much appreciate

ivan.bc

Star Member
Jan 10, 2019
Can you please also advise me on my situation?
I am trying to apply BOWP without ITA because of my PGWP expire on 8 May. Just try to buy some time for me while waiting for ITA. How could I apply by paper? and how can I pay the fees without applying online? much appreciate

I think this is the page you're looking for but I don't think you can apply without an ITA.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/application-change-conditions-extend-your-stay-canada-worker.html

ivan.bc

Star Member
Jan 10, 2019
I am not sure as well... still working on it. Hopefully I will receive the ITA before my PGWP expires
I feel you. I was on a similar situation, but thankfully I got my ETA before me WP expired.

How many points do you have?

Louieportillo

Star Member
Nov 14, 2014
Hi guys..
Just a question..

Can we apply BWOP eventhough ist not 4 months before work permit expire?

- can we work any/two jobs if we havr a bridging open work permit allready?

Thank yiu in advance?

Reactions: jagann

Tiaa

Star Member
Mar 29, 2018
I feel you. I was on a similar situation, but thankfully I got my ETA before me WP expired.

How many points do you have?
Sadly, only 443 by now, but I am working on my IELTS and applied AINP at the same time. Hopefully, I will get a higher score on my test on 27 April.

BTW, how many days before your expiration date that you submitted your application?

Louieportillo

Star Member
Nov 14, 2014

Thank you.. anyway