VISA ISSUED...
18-12-2015
LANDED..........
09-01-2016
more details
Parliamentary Business - agenda

http://www.ourcommons.ca/en/parliamentary-business/2017-05-17

And I have a question.
The change below will affect only the PR or the citizenship applications too?

Regulations Amending the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (Age of Dependent Children)
http://www.gazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p2/2017/2017-05-03/html/sor-dors60-eng.php

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/2017/05/changes_to_regulationswillseeageincreasedfordependentchild.html

These Regulations come into force on October 24, 2017.

Last edited:

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
more details
Parliamentary Business - agenda

http://www.ourcommons.ca/en/parliamentary-business/2017-05-17

And I have a question.
The change below will affect only the PR or the citizenship applications too?

Regulations Amending the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (Age of Dependent Children)
http://www.gazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p2/2017/2017-05-03/html/sor-dors60-eng.php

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/2017/05/changes_to_regulationswillseeageincreasedfordependentchild.html

These Regulations come into force on October 24, 2017.
No, this only affects PR applications. "Dependent child" is vocabulary only used with respect to PR applications.

For citizenship applications, the Citizenship Act distinguishes between adults and minors, whereas the act itself defines a minor to be a person under eighteen years. Even if the minister wanted to, he couldn't change that definition with a simple regulation, they would have to change the Citizenship Act itself.

oomuchi

Apr 21, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney/Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-10-2014
Doc's Request.
RPRF's Request :30-11-2015
Nomination.....
T4/NoA 2015 :Upfront end of July
AOR Received.
16-02-2015
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
File Transfer...
March 2015 to Ottawa
Med's Request
27-11-2015
Med's Done....
04-12-2015
Interview........
na
Passport Req..
14-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
18-12-2015
LANDED..........
09-01-2016
No, this only affects PR applications. "Dependent child" is vocabulary only used with respect to PR applications.

For citizenship applications, the Citizenship Act distinguishes between adults and minors, whereas the act itself defines a minor to be a person under eighteen years. Even if the minister wanted to, he couldn't change that definition with a simple regulation, they would have to change the Citizenship Act itself.
THANK YOU!

AliChraim

Star Member
Apr 24, 2016
Montreal
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-11-2016
AOR Received.
19-02-2017
Med's Request
28-03-2017
Med's Done....
04-04-2017
Guys, how can Senator Jaffer say that she expects HoC to reject some of the amendments while also saying that she thinks C-6 will be law in June? If the amendments are rejected, wouldn't it take a lot of time in the senate to resolve the issue? (if a resolution is even possible).

Joshua1

Nov 18, 2013
Guys, how can Senator Jaffer say that she expects HoC to reject some of the amendments while also saying that she thinks C-6 will be law in June? If the amendments are rejected, wouldn't it take a lot of time in the senate to resolve the issue? (if a resolution is even possible).
A lot of bills with amendments go back and forth between senate and HoC within days or few weeks before Royal assent. So, it's possible if there is willingness and some agreement among all parties.

AliChraim

Star Member
Apr 24, 2016
Montreal
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-11-2016
AOR Received.
19-02-2017
Med's Request
28-03-2017
Med's Done....
04-04-2017
A lot of bills with amendments go back and forth between senate and HoC within days or few weeks before Royal assent. So, it's possible if there is willingness and some agreement among all parties.
Thank you :)

sansnom

Mar 10, 2017
Thank you all for information and opinions. I have been silently follow the thread for quite a while, now I feel like to share some personal opinion about when 3/5 rule comes into force.

By reading the coming into force clauses and transitional provisions, I suspect following may happen once the bill passed:
1. Most of clauses come into force right away, including abolishing intention to reside, rights to appeal, authority to seize fraudulent documents but NOT pre-PR credit, 3/5 rule, reduction of age or language requirement. At this point, the controversial issues from C-24 are resolved. C-6 satisfies its purpose protecting Canadians.
2. Pre-PR credit comes into force shortly after. At this point, the minimum requirement would be within 6years: 3 years after PR + 2 years before PR. People came to Canada as international students or foreign workers can apply roughly 1 year earlier comparing to C-24.
3. 3/5 rule comes into force a couple of months later. At this point, most PRs are eligible one or two years earlier comparing to C-24.
4. Age/language requirement reduction comes into force later. At this point the whole bill comes into force.

Reasons?
1. The coming into force clauses allows pre-PR credit, 3/5 rule, and others come into force on different date.
2. Transitional Provisions Clauses 14 and 15 disallows 3/5 rule comes into force before pre-PR credit, but clearly explains what would happen if pre-PR credit comes into force first.
3. The government said to prioritize cases that were badly impacted by C-24. [I remember seeing in the news, but cannot find it anymore. Correct me if I am wrong]. IMO, people came as international students or foreign workers are worse impacted comparing to people came directly as PR.
4. By separating pre-PR credit and 3/5 rule, the number of applications would increase relative slower and in stages. It would allow IRCC to better handle the flood.

Again this is pure personal opinion.

Joshua1

Nov 18, 2013
Thank you all for information and opinions. I have been silently follow the thread for quite a while, now I feel like to share some personal opinion about when 3/5 rule comes into force.

By reading the coming into force clauses and transitional provisions, I suspect following may happen once the bill passed:
1. Most of clauses come into force right away, including abolishing intention to reside, rights to appeal, authority to seize fraudulent documents but NOT pre-PR credit, 3/5 rule, reduction of age or language requirement. At this point, the controversial issues from C-24 are resolved. C-6 satisfies its purpose protecting Canadians.
2. Pre-PR credit comes into force shortly after. At this point, the minimum requirement would be within 6years: 3 years after PR + 2 years before PR. People came to Canada as international students or foreign workers can apply roughly 1 year earlier comparing to C-24.
3. 3/5 rule comes into force a couple of months later. At this point, most PRs are eligible one or two years earlier comparing to C-24.
4. Age/language requirement reduction comes into force later. At this point the whole bill comes into force.

Reasons?
1. The coming into force clauses allows pre-PR credit, 3/5 rule, and others come into force on different date.
2. Transitional Provisions Clauses 14 and 15 disallows 3/5 rule comes into force before pre-PR credit, but clearly explains what would happen if pre-PR credit comes into force first.
3. The government said to prioritize cases that were badly impacted by C-24. [I remember seeing in the news, but cannot find it anymore. Correct me if I am wrong]. IMO, people came as international students or foreign workers are worse impacted comparing to people came directly as PR.
4. By separating pre-PR credit and 3/5 rule, the number of applications would increase relative slower and in stages. It would allow IRCC to better handle the flood.

That would be the proper thing to do (from my standpoint).

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014

Reasons?

I hope so. This would be fair to people who have been PRs for >= 3 years AND have >= 2 pre-PR years under their belt.

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
That would be the proper thing to do (from my standpoint).
Agree, but I don't think the government will do it that way, it would just create more complication for the CIC with updating criteria a few times and doing additional training each time it happens ... great idea but probably just wishful thinking - when was the last time CIC did anything that made things easier for the applicants rather than making things easier for themselves ? Latest example is the parents/grandparents sponsorship lottery , what a disaster it turned out to be....

VFX_man

Star Member
Feb 20, 2017

Reasons?

This makes sense and will be interesting to see how they approach it . . . to avoid the application avalanche.

Personally, my wife and I are in that in-between zone. I moved up a few months before she did [Nov 2012] and if the 3/5 with pre-PR was back in effect my count is 1,186 days. She is about 60 days away from hitting the "old" 1095 count. We would hit the 3 year no pre-PR around Feb 2018. So not sure what would be "best" for us.

But starting the studying now for the citizenship tests --- word to the wise, based on my office co-workers "answers" . . . most Canadians can't pass this test, so don't ask them for help. LOL ;)

Cheers!

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
....But starting the studying now for the citizenship tests --- word to the wise, based on my office co-workers "answers" . . . most Canadians can't pass this test, so don't ask them for help. LOL ;)

Cheers!
I tried to take a sample test online with no preparation just for kicks. I got a grand total score of 0.

Been in Canada for 10 years and I had no idea about those questions.

Although, every one of my buddies who became citizens already said the test is very easy after studying the book they send and doing a few samples online.

Whocares

Sep 20, 2010

Reasons?

Nothing is new in your post a part from "a couple of months". Do you mean 2 or more months?. Your post might be interesting for new readers. I know it is an opinion but the controversial issues from C-24 are NOT resolved yet unless the HoC agrees with the amendments.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
I just want to quickly point out this timeline of bill C-37:
- passed by the Senate with amendments on May 4
- once the government proposed how to deal with the amendment, it took the HoC a week (two sitting days within that week to be exact) to pass a motion accepting some of the amendments and rejecting/modifying some of the others.
- the bill passed the HoC on Tuesday again and was sent back to the Senate.
- the Senate then debated the bill today and voted to accept the position of the House of Commons.

So it seems that the Senate can process HoC's messages pretty fast (two days). That is: If they want to. Obviously they could delay this further. But still it is a good thing to know that fast processing of these messages happens.

It all depends on when the government proposes their motion regarding C-6 which they haven't done yet.

Also, C-6 is quite a particular bill so things might be very particular, still.