Bill C-6: Senate stage

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Looks like nothing re C-6 this week. And HoC is not sitting next week. Coming back on May 29. We just need to be patient.
The Projected Order of Business is only reliable for the first sitting day listed. For the upcoming sitting days (at the moment, that's Tuesday and so on), the Projected Order of Business only includes a schedule for private member bills. Only tonight (monday night) will the update the POB with the info about Tuesday, and so on.

So do NOT, I repeat: do NOT read anything into the POB beyond the current day.

If you want to check yourself, save the POB, that is currently online and compare it to the one that will be online tonight around 8pm or so.

I mean, look at the POB for the rest of the week at the moment: Do you really think they will discuss nothing but one private member bill per day?!

I am not saying that C-6 will show up this week. I'm just saying that you can't use the POB for the rest of the week as an indication of either.

Reactions: Varangian

Varangian

Mar 13, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-02-2014
AOR Received.
14-03-2014
Med's Request
05-09-2014
Med's Done....
19-09-2014
Passport Req..
15-02-2015
LANDED..........
13-03-2015
The Projected Order of Business is only reliable for the first sitting day listed. For the upcoming sitting days (at the moment, that's Tuesday and so on), the Projected Order of Business only includes a schedule for private member bills. Only tonight (monday night) will the update the POB with the info about Tuesday, and so on.

So do NOT, I repeat: do NOT read anything into the POB beyond the current day.

If you want to check yourself, save the POB, that is currently online and compare it to the one that will be online tonight around 8pm or so.

I mean, look at the POB for the rest of the week at the moment: Do you really think they will discuss nothing but one private member bill per day?!

I am not saying that C-6 will show up this week. I'm just saying that you can't use the POB for the rest of the week as an indication of either.

Thank you! Good to know. And fingers crossed.

lilen

Star Member
Nov 22, 2016
Amendments to citizenship revocation procedures urged
May 11, 2017

Senator Ratna Omidvar.
Senator Ratna Omidvar.
On Wednesday, May 10, the Federal Court of Canada struck down provisions ‎of the Citizenship Act that deal with revocation of citizenship on grounds of fraud and false representation.

The litigants in Hassouna v. Minister of Citizenship and Immigration argued the government’s current revocation process is fundamentally flawed and unfair. The Federal Court agreed. ‎It ruled that the administrative revocation process violates the Bill of Rights by not providing the right to an oral hearing in accordance with principles of fundamental justice.

‎Earlier this month, the Senate amended the government’s signature citizenship legislation, Bill C-6, An Act to Amend the Citizenship Act. Senators Elaine McCoy, Art Eggleton, Mobina Jaffer and André Pratte, as well as the BC Civil Liberties Association and the Canadian Association of Refugee Lawyers, were instrumental in the creation and passing of this amendment. The amended bill is now before the House of Commons. Members of Parliament may accept Senate amendments, reject or modify them.

Ruling says citizenship is a right, once acquired
In her ruling, Madam Justice Jocelyne Gagné said, “once acquired, citizenship is a right.” It is not a privilege that any government can give and take lightly.

‎Justice Gagné found that four areas of due process were missing in current revocation procedures: an oral hearing, disclosure of the case against the individual, an independent decision maker, and the opportunity for humanitarian and compassionate review.

All four of these requirements are found in the Senate amendment to Bill C-6.

According to independent Ontario Senator Ratna Omidvar, “The decision confirms the Senate was correct, and the government’s process does not comply with the Bill of Rights. I encourage members of Parliament to accept the Senate amendment and restore due process to all citizens facing allegations that could result in the loss of their citizenship. Such a decision would restore due process, and like other changes in Bill C-6, would close the narrative that some Canadians have fewer rights that others. This is about due process and the equality of all citizens before the law.”

punk

Feb 15, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Its a good time to write to your MPs about this bill. This should move fast once in the parliament.

mats

Nov 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-01-2011
AOR Received.
18-03-2011
Med's Done....
18-03-2012
Passport Req..
Sent 19-03-2012
VISA ISSUED...
30-Mar-2012
LANDED..........
12-July-2012
Its a good time to write to your MPs about this bill. This should move fast once in the parliament.
I sent email to PM, Imm Minister and the other minister and got at least some response. But the email to my MP , no response!!!.
And he is a liberal. Bit schocking. I will have to go to his office or call him now.

Mike053

Feb 9, 2009
Back forth with Senate is coming.

Per Sen Jaffer twitter they expect bill back in Senate in few weeks. Here start further delays. New amendments, more adjournments.....and a summer vacation for 2.5 months....Whose MP said C-6 was a government priority?

Last edited:

Varangian

Mar 13, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-02-2014
AOR Received.
14-03-2014
Med's Request
05-09-2014
Med's Done....
19-09-2014
Passport Req..
15-02-2015
LANDED..........
13-03-2015

Per Sen Jaffer twitter they expect bill back in Senate in few weeks. Here start further delays. New amendments, more adjournments.....and a summer vacation for 2.5 months....Whose MP said C-6 was a government priority?
They need to stamp the Bill after it's approved in HoC. That's what he meant.

MWM

Star Member
Jun 1, 2014

There is nothing on her twitter !!!! From where did you get that ?

Let's see what people in this forum think !!!!

Do you think the bill will pass before summer or no ?
If yes thanks

If no why you think it will not , let's see if a logic reason is there after 1.5 years of waiting plus god knows when it will be implemented so total will be around 2.5 years approximately !!!! If it is approved before summer .

sivabalan

Star Member
Jan 25, 2014
Windsor, ON
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
01-08-2010
Passport Req..
01-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
01-09-2013
LANDED..........
20-09-2013
To get it for approval ??? or rejected and back to senates for further sittings and studies ???
I want the bill to pass as soon as possible, but I don't know what is going to happen. So I have shared the link below that explains the possible outcomes:

http://www.ourcommons.ca/About/Compendium/LegislativeProcess/c_d_houseconsiderationsenateamendmentsbills-e.htm

When the House agrees to the Senate amendments, a message and the bill are sent to the Senate, and Royal Assent takes place shortly thereafter. If the House amends or rejects the Senate amendments, it informs the Senate by way of message. The Senate may then reconsider its amendments, having regard to the message from the House. It may decide to:

• accept the decision of the House;
  • reject that decision and insist that its amendments be maintained; or
  • further amend what the House has proposed.
The Senate then sends another message to the House to inform it of the decision. Communication between the two Houses continues in this way until they ultimately agree on a text. If it is impossible for an agreement to be reached by exchanging messages, a conference between the two Chambers may be requested. This was quite common in the past but the practice has fallen into disuse.

Last edited: