+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-6: Senate stage

quasar81

Feb 27, 2014
Cons are against C-6, they won't let go fast if HoC rejects the amendments
Agree.

CONs will debate and adjourn it again and again in Senate, and call C-6 supporters terrorist supporters again and again for the heck of it. Thats why I was always of view it should never go back to Senate. If it goes, it is stuck there for months and then be back to HoC not before Fall 2017 with changes and, and on and on......into 2018

And this http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/senate-rules-caucus-change-1.4112744

It will make Senate more and more tough place to pass bills in general - 9 Senators, and you got a new caucus.... So, as soon as any senate involvement ends, the better.

Last edited:

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Agree.

CONs will debate and adjourn it again and again in Senate, and call C-6 supporters terrorist supporters again and again for the heck of it. Thats why I was always of view it should never go back to Senate. If it goes, it is stuck there for months and then be back to HoC not before Fall 2017 with changes and, and on and on......into 2018

And this http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/senate-rules-caucus-change-1.4112744

It will make Senate more and more tough place to pass bills in general - 9 Senators, and you got a new caucus.... So, as soon as any senate involvement ends, the better.
I respectfully disagree with your assessment.

Why are you so convinced that the bill gets stuck in the senate for so long? Mind that they are only allowed to debate the amendments. There are three of them:
1. age limit for language
2. application for minors
3. right to appeal

(2) is a non-partisan amendment that both "sides" of the Senate support. So there is no debate along the lines there. (3) will be accepted, maybe with modifications, by the HoC after the ruling last week. So clearly there is nothing to discuss there. Which means the only way this could be stalled in the Senate is if they kept on debating (1) over and over again. Keep in mind: They cannot debate or amend anything about the terrorism clause anymore. That one is off the table.

I don't get why you are trying to paint such a dark picture here. May I remind you that the only actual delay that this bill faced was June to December 2017. Since then, the bill has moved at a normal pace. It spent two weeks in committee (which is totally normal) and it spent about five weeks in the Senate (which happens to many bills, particularly with amendments). It is just the unrealistic and very nervous approach of forum members that makes you think that there was any particular delay in the bill this year. All the delay happened last year.

So if there was no significant delay in the Senate for the last four months, why should there be a delay now. Particularly, since no new amendments are allowed?

Also, the article about Senate Caucuses is completely irrelevant here. If you read the article, they only voted that the committee now specifically put the rules in writing. So the rules weren't changed yet. And even if they were, how on earth would they affect the speed of C-6?

Sorry, I felt the need to provide some counterweight to some pessimistic posts here.

sansnom

Mar 10, 2017
Nothing is new in your post a part from "a couple of months". Do you mean 2 or more months?. Your post might be interesting for new readers. I know it is an opinion but the controversial issues from C-24 are NOT resolved yet unless the HoC agrees with the amendments.
I simply meant pre-PR credit would come into force before 3/5 rule for the purpose of not to accumulate large backlogs. I guess 2-6 months apart is reasonable. Again it's just my speculation.

lilen

Star Member
Nov 22, 2016
totally agree with you spyfyy, quasar81 with all my respect to u , i was reading ur previous comment maybe 80% of them are pessimistic for no reason, don't worry c6 is not gonna take long we reached the end , be patiente for few weeks and hopefully we're gonna celebrate on this thread with the rest of the champagne that we open in may 3 loool

punk

Feb 15, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There is a chance of HoC prologue which will be terrible for this bill because it will kill the bill and has to be reintroduced. Write to your MPs soon

walktheline

Star Member
Oct 28, 2016
I just saw the CBC news that transgender were gather in front of parliament in Ottawa to demonstrate and ask parliament to pass C-16 as soon as possible and got a lot of media exposure. Then the parliament responded the bill could be passed before summer break.

C-6 definitely impacts much more people than C-16, I wonder why no immigrants come to Ottawa to demonstrate and get media exposure but believe simply a few twitter posts and emails can influence parliament?

walktheline

Star Member
Oct 28, 2016
Those are citizens, we are not. If you get in jail for whatever reason, you will not get the citizenship. They respect Men with Vagina or Women with di@@s more than you.
It's not true. All residents have the same rights to demonstrate no matter citizen status. In fact, back in the UK, there were a few cases different groups of immigrants demonstrated in front of parliament, even had celebrity or high profile politician as speaker person, had a lot of media exposure and then got injustice laws reversed.

MWM

Star Member
Jun 1, 2014
Lol. Believe me it will before July. We gonna need a good psychic to tell us when the 3/5 will come into force.
I want to believe you , but from where did you get that info , dont tell me feelings like someone posted yesterday .

Mike053

Feb 9, 2009
Emailing
I just saw the CBC news that transgender were gather in front of parliament in Ottawa to demonstrate and ask parliament to pass C-16 as soon as possible and got a lot of media exposure. Then the parliament responded the bill could be passed before summer break.

C-6 definitely impacts much more people than C-16, I wonder why no immigrants come to Ottawa to demonstrate and get media exposure but believe simply a few twitter posts and emails can influence parliament?
Emailing MP(don't waste time on Conservative one), Minister and PM is enough. They listen. that's why people you mentioned had gathered and protested. These email/phones/protests matter to them as that is their way of listening what matters to people....

Whocares

Sep 20, 2010
Emailing

Emailing MP(don't waste time on Conservative one), Minister and PM is enough. They listen. that's why people you mentioned had gathered and protested. These email/phones/protests matter to them as that is their way of listening what matters to people....
I think the Minster is enough at this stage. Some people including Mobina and others have tweeted Ahmed Hussen to speed up C6. So I am sure the more emails and tweets he gets, the faster he reacts.

Reactions: lilen