+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

April 2015 citizenship Applicants

boltz

Jul 30, 2009
Anthony_nyc said:
Hello all, "Easy" question....

Since myself and others have not received AOR, does that mean we will be processed based on the new C-24 rules going into effect June/July? Or do we get processed based on the old rules, because our mail was sent and received already? I don't understand what our rules are based on at the moment. (Mail sent/receive date or AOR receive date)
Old - if the application is complete and hence accepted ( AOR)
New - if the application had to be returned for its incomplete and new rule kicks in

oren

May 8, 2015
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ya that's how it looks like right now. From 2 weeks it became 4 weeks. Probably shows that a lot more started to submit their applications coz of 4/6 law is very near.

boltz said:
Clearly, the AOR process sped up in Feb/Mar/early Apr; but now slowing down.

boltz

Jul 30, 2009
oren said:
Ya that's how it looks like right now. From 2 weeks it became 4 weeks. Probably shows that a lot more started to submit their applications coz of 4/6 law is very near.
All that surge was over last year when the new law was tabled before last summer. I think cic is trying to optimize and probably figured out too many resources on initial screening... What ever it is it seems like 5 week time for AOR now.

sushi1988

Apr 14, 2015
april2015 said:
Congrats fedex682, hopefully others will get theirs soon too, just be patient and positive :)

Anthony_nyc - just so you know AOR is the key. If you have received the AOR, you are good and it means CIC has acknowledged your documents and has almost begun the process, which further means that your application has been considered for processing under the existing 3/4 years rule. Documents received by CIC as per the records of the courier company is not enough unless you receive an official AOR from CIC. If for some reason the documents are returned by CIC back to the sender i.e. due to any errors in the application or missing document / information and if at that time the 4/6 rule comes into effect, then CIC's previous acknowledgement (as per the courier company and NOT an AOR) does not mean anything and the application resubmitted at that time will then be considered under the 4/6 rule. Hope this clarifies. That is why I always recommend people to send their application ASAP if they complete their 1095 days cuz the 1460 days rule may be implemented anytime and then they will have to wait for another 1 year plus the processing time. Moreover, whoever is sending their application these days must make sure that their application / documents are complete and free from any errors to eliminate every single chance of getting it returned to them i.e. review it 10 times or even have someone else review it for you i.e. extra pair of eyes before you mail the document out. Finally, send it by overnight courier to save on time, of course it would cost you much more than the regular mail but it's worth a spent amid the possibility of 4/6 rule getting nearer.
I am NOT 100% convinced by this. What if application that is being received by CIC and waiting for their processing and had no errors? If CIC knows for sure that application was received before 4/6 rule kicked in and had no errors but was opened later then it should be processed as per 3/4 rule and not 4/6 rule. What I mean is if X submit his application and CIC receives it on June 1st and receives AOR on June 18th and Y submits his application and CIC receives it on May 29th and he receives AOR on June 20th and meanwhile 4/6 rule kicks in on June 19th, then Y's application cannot be processed per 3/4th rule? Then that's ridiculous and unjustified. I feel all the applications received by CIC before cut off date and that had no errors shall be processed by 3/4 rule.

Anthony_nyc

Star Member
Apr 28, 2015
None of this makes sense. We sent all our applications and filled out all the information based on the old rules right now. So, once they actually receive our mail it counts towards the current rule, not the new rule. That makes more sense.

Everyone that has their mail already sent and received by CIC is fine. That would be ridiculous if we filled everything out, paid, etc, then they just switch rules on us that did our jobs way before any C-24 condition changes. We did our part already. The new rules will only apply towards applications that are sent out after the new 4/6 rules are finally in effect.

So for those of us that had our mail arrived on April 30th at Sydney, Nova Scotia, we won't see an AOR result until mid June? No way.... :-[

oren

May 8, 2015
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Wishing I'll have my passport for Spring 2016. Hope 10 months enough or I'll have to wait 2017 for cherry blossoms but it's okay there's always plan b, to get a visa.

I don't know why I waited this long to apply :'(

boltz said:
All that surge was over last year when the new law was tabled before last summer. I think cic is trying to optimize and probably figured out too many resources on initial screening... What ever it is it seems like 5 week time for AOR now.

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR is the confirmation that the application is fine and complete according to the person who is checking it. Sometimes the applications are returned for no obvious reasons. The most common scenario in this situations is the person who is checking the application for some reason doesn't see that something is included and send it back to the applicant. After that the applicant is wondering what is the actual problem because the "missing" thing has been sent with the initial application from the first time.

So sometimes errors happens.

mercury15

Apr 22, 2015
Anthony_nyc said:
None of this makes sense. We sent all our applications and filled out all the information based on the old rules right now. So, once they actually receive our mail it counts towards the current rule, not the new rule. That makes more sense.

Everyone that has their mail already sent and received by CIC is fine. That would be ridiculous if we filled everything out, paid, etc, then they just switch rules on us that did our jobs way before any C-24 condition changes. We did our part already. The new rules will only apply towards applications that are sent out after the new 4/6 rules are finally in effect.

So for those of us that had our mail arrived on April 30th at Sydney, Nova Scotia, we won't see an AOR result until mid June? No way.... :-[
I guess we are speculating here. To me, it makes more sense to use 'Date the application is signed'.

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There are basically two important moments.

1 The date the application arrives in CIC

2 The time when the application is considered complete, hence no reason to be returned.

Anthony_nyc

Star Member
Apr 28, 2015
@ mercury15

Exactly my thoughts, logically. Imagine the universal craziness this would create and erupt, into forcing people follow the new 4/6 rules after they sent in their fully PAID applications long before. The moment the CIC take our delivered mail and sign for it (with us seeing the electronic signature proofs online), it now belongs to them, it's out of our hands. The process has already begun, beginning with mailing it all out to them. Pretty much end of story.

mercury15

Apr 22, 2015
Anthony_nyc said:
@ mercury15

Exactly my thoughts, logically. Imagine the universal craziness this would create and erupt, into force people follow the new 4/6 rules after they sent in their fully PAID applications long before. The moment the CIC take our delivered mail and sign for it (with us seeing the electronic signature proofs online), it now belongs to them, it's out of our hands. The process has already begun, beginning with mailing it all out to them. Pretty much end of story.
Getting AOR is still key because, we can then relax that our application is complete and accepted for processing.

CANMAPLE

Star Member
Feb 7, 2013
London, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Below is the response I received from CIC on May 7 2015, hope it will put some of the anxious minds on this forum at ease.

Dear Client,

Thank you for your enquiry.

Please note that there may be a delay between the date CIC physically receives your application and the date it is opened.

CIC cannot confirm that your application package has been received until it has been opened in our offices.

Our office is currently sending Acknowledgement of Receipt letters for those applications received the same date you mailed your application.

Regards,

Citizenship and Immigration Canada | Citoyenneté et Immigration Canada
Government of Canada | Gouvernement du Canada

Citizenship Application Process Stages and Outcomes
Source: CIC

The citizenship process

The list below presents the phases of the citizenship process of a routine application. In some cases, processing may take longer.

Phase – Application Review & File Creation

The Case Processing Centre (CPC) in Sydney makes sure your application

meets the minimum processing requirements;
includes all the required documents;
that the appropriate fee payment has been made.
If your application is complete, processing starts.

What you receive:

Acknowledgement of receipt
The citizenship study guide (one study book per family) Note: The study guide is available in alternate formats including audio.
If your application does not meet the initial processing requirements, does not include the appropriate fee payment, or is not complete, it will be returned to you.

Phase – Decision

The CPC sends your application to the CIC office nearest to your home for further processing.
The CIC office completes the steps necessary for a citizenship officer or a citizenship judge to make a decision on your application.
You will be asked to come to the CIC office for a review of the original documents you submitted in support of your application, as well as all passports and travel documents relevant to the four year period preceding your application. If applicable, you will be evaluated on your knowledge of English or French and on your knowledge of Canada’s history, geography, government, and the rights and responsibilities of citizenship.
What you receive:

Notification to appear to take a citizenship test and/or
Notification to appear for an interview with a citizenship official and/or
Notification to appear for a hearing with a citizenship officer or a citizenship judge
Phase – Ceremony

If you meet all the requirements for citizenship, the CIC office notifies you by mail of the time and place of your citizenship ceremony.

What you receive:

Notification to appear to take the oath of citizenship
Certificate of Canadian Citizenship received at the ceremony after taking the oath of citizenship

april2015

Star Member
Apr 5, 2015
Mississauga ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just to give you guys some peace of mind, let's say your application was delivered to CIC on May 15th (as per the records of your courier company) and now you are waiting for AOR. The 4/6 rule then kicks in on June 1st (just an example only as the exact date is still unknown as of now) and later you receive the AOR on June 5th, the letter would say that we received your application on May 15th (and not June 5) cuz that's when CIC had officially received your application no matter when they opened it and they found out that it meets CIC's minimum basic requirement to consider your application for processing. Therefore, your application will be processed under 3/4 rule since it was complete and free from errors and was received by CIC at the time it was the 3/4 rule that was in force.

However, God forbid instead of getting AOR you receive your package back, on the grounds that it did not meet their minimum basic requirement, then for them it's as good as never received by them even though you have paid the fee in full. You will then be asked to resubmit the whole thing all over again with the correction. Now let's say the application was resubmitted after the required correction to the CIC on June 15th when 4/6 rule has already come into effect on June 1st (for example only) and at that point even if CIC finds all the documents in order, they will now see if the applicant has completed 1460 days (and not 1095 days) on the day he signed the new application since on June 15th the minimum residence requirement is 1460 days and not 1095 days anymore, therefore, the application will again be returned due to insufficient residence days. Hope this makes sense now.

Just to give you an example, a friend of mine sent his application to CIC last year with the old fee, while the application was in transit, CIC increased the processing fee, the day they received it the fee had already changed, they then returned the whole package back to him asking him to resubmit the application with the new increased fee.

Rest assured, if you guys receive your AOR (on your existing package that you have recently mailed) now or even after the rule changes to 4/6, your application will still be processed under the old 3/4 rule. The risk is only if your application is returned due to any error in your application or incomplete documentation.

Good Luck and just be positive that you don't get your application returned but receive your AOR instead even though it gets delayed :)

Anthony_nyc

Star Member
Apr 28, 2015
:'( I just realized now a "potential mistake" I could have made in my application........ :'(

I took the CELPIP Listening and Speaking test originally to prove my English ability for the language proof requirement, scoring the highest possible on it. CELPIP is a CIC approved 3rd party test I sent in with my application packet weeks ago (April 28th). However I remember that I accidentally checked off "Yes" in *Section 9, letter E* LINC on the Application For Canadian Citizenship - Adults. Will my application be rejected because I checked the LINC (9, E) as "Yes" by accident? They will figure out I never took LINC classes, and clearly see the CELPIP 3rd party test result I included in my application packet.

Also in Section 6, A....I put my permanent resident date, but then I put the same thing again in B, which I didn't need to do, because I came to live in Canada the day I became a permanent resident. Will that get my entire application packet sent back? Because B was supposed only be filled out if A was different.

P.S. - I also accidentally checked off the box on the Documents Checklist in regards to educational records and children. I don't have children, and I obviously didn't fill any of that information in my application packet. I remember later on writing "N/A" in pen ink next to that check box I accidentally checked, because my application was filled out using keyboard typing, using the Adobe program.