+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

2021 Applying Sponsorship for parents but lower income than Minimum in 2020

CanadaFar

Star Member
Jun 13, 2021
Knowing that you wanted to sponsor your parents you could have prioritized working versus taking courses. That is personal choice. The LICO was already reduced to a very low level for 2020.
My boyfriend who lives with me part-time has earned more than the minimum required amount for the last three years, can he and I together co-sponsor my parents (he is not my fiance yet, but we have been in relations together for a few years now and he has lived with me most of the time)? would my boyfriend be counted as my common law partner? is there any documents or conditions particular required in that case as proof to show that he is my common law partner? what are required if I would be eligible to co-sponsor my parents with him? do I still need to submit my own NOA for last years too, or would his NOA of last three years be enough for it? Do you know?

CanadaFar

Star Member
Jun 13, 2021
2021 is also a pandemic year....

You would need to wait for IRCC announcement of this year's PGP program. Btw, if you have co-sponsor (who is your spouse) who meets the MNI, then no issue.
My boyfriend who lives with me part-time has earned more than the minimum required amount for the last three years, can he and I together co-sponsor my parents (he is not my fiance yet, but we have been in relations together for a few years now and he has lived with me most of the time)? would my boyfriend be counted as my common law partner? is there any documents or conditions particular required in that case as proof to show that he is my common law partner? what are required if I would be eligible to co-sponsor my parents with him? do I still need to submit my own NOA for last years too, or would his NOA of last three years be enough for it? Do you know?

CanadaFar

Star Member
Jun 13, 2021
PGP and Parents Sponsorship are the same thing. There's no way around it for your 2020 income besides waiting a few years. They don't make exceptions on income, some have been rejected for <$100. I'm a 2019 applicant and was just approved so it took just over 2 years total, many are still waiting. I'd definitely look at super visa for your situation.

CanadaFar

Star Member
Jun 13, 2021
Yes, this is the way it works. I do not know the numbers.
My boyfriend who lives with me part-time most of the time has earned more than the minimum required amount for the last three years, can he and I together co-sponsor my parents (he is not my fiance yet, but we have been in relations together for a few years now and he has lived with me most of the time)? would my boyfriend be counted as my common law partner? is there any documents or conditions particular required in that case as proof to show that he is my common law partner? what are required if I would be eligible to co-sponsor my parents with him? do I still need to submit my own NOA for last years too, or would his NOA of last three years be enough for it? Do you know?

CanadaFar

Star Member
Jun 13, 2021
Do not argue with me. I didn't set the rules. We do not know when 2021 PGP will open and we do not know for sure they will use the same rule.
Good luck. Application fee depends on how many people are you going to sponsor. But again, since the program hasn't been open yet, there is no accurate number. Check previous years PGP for rough amount of fees.Iit shouldn't concern you, they are in the range of $2000 and up (application fee, landing fee, medical cost ...etc)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
My boyfriend who lives with me part-time most of the time has earned more than the minimum required amount for the last three years, can he and I together co-sponsor my parents (he is not my fiance yet, but we have been in relations together for a few years now and he has lived with me most of the time)? would my boyfriend be counted as my common law partner? is there any documents or conditions particular required in that case as proof to show that he is my common law partner? what are required if I would be eligible to co-sponsor my parents with him? do I still need to submit my own NOA for last years too, or would his NOA of last three years be enough for it? Do you know?
What do you mean that he lives part-time with you? Does he have another primary residence?

Do you share the same primary address, utilities, bank accounts / credit cards?

Have you both filed your taxes as common law for the last few years?

Reactions: YVR123

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
part-time living boyfriend do not count.

Once you are married or become common-law partners (in a married like relationship for 1 year), you can consider asking him to be a co-signer. He needs to know that's a long time commitment. Once signed the application, he will be undertaking for 20 years of your parents (if their become PR) regardless of what the future of the relationship developed to be.

Reactions: Naturgrl

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Oh I see...well, in that case, I should probably
After you prove that he is your common law partner of at least one year, he can be your co sponsor. Both show NOA. Things like joint accounts, lease can be proofs of being common law partner.

CanadaFar

Star Member
Jun 13, 2021
What do you mean that he lives part-time with you? Does he have another primary residence?

Do you share the same primary address, utilities, bank accounts / credit cards?

Have you both filed your taxes as common law for the last few years?
He lives here and spends most of the time with me as here is his primary residence, and has lived with me last year as well (I read the meaning of common law partner on the internet and it explains that even if my partner has lived for 1 full year with me he can be counted as my common-law partner, and he has been with me more than 1 year) but a few days per week he works on-site so he also has another residence where he stays at when he has to work on-site. He has my address on some of his membership cards, and one of the utilities that allowed joint account holder, we also have one joint bank account together, but for our other bank accounts we have separate accounts and credit cards as he is not my fiance/spouse yet (however, I could not find any specific conditions on Canada immigration about how many years, or what is required specifically etc for common law co-sponsorship. If you know of any link about this please let me know). thanks.

CanadaFar

Star Member
Jun 13, 2021
part-time living boyfriend do not count.

Once you are married or become common-law partners (in a married like relationship for 1 year), you can consider asking him to be a co-signer. He needs to know that's a long time commitment. Once signed the application, he will be undertaking for 20 years of your parents (if their become PR) regardless of what the future of the relationship developed to be.
He lives here and spends most of the time with me and here is his primary residence, and has lived with me last year as well (I read the meaning of common law partner on the internet and it explains that even if my partner has lived for 1 full year with me he can be counted as my common-law partner, and he has been with me more than 1 year) but a few days per week he works on-site so he also has another residence where he stays at when he has to work on-site. He has my address on some of his membership cards, and one of the utilities that allowed joint account holder, we also have one joint bank account together, but for our other bank accounts we have separate accounts and credit cards as he is not my fiance/spouse yet (however, I could not find any specific conditions on Canada immigration about how many years, or what is required specifically etc for common law co-sponsorship. If you know of any link about this please let me know. thanks.)

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
He spends most of the time with me, and has lived with me last year as well (I read the meaning of common law partner on the internet and it explains that even if my partner has lived for 1 full year with me he can be counted as my common-law partner, and he has been with me more than 1 year) but a few days per week he works on-site so he also has another residence where he stays at when he has to work on-site. He has my address on some of his membership cards, and one of the utilities that allowed joint account holder, we also have one joint bank account together, but for our other bank accounts we have separate accounts and credit cards as he is not my fiance/spouse yet (however, I could not find any specific conditions on Canada immigration about how many years, or what is required specifically etc for common law co-sponsorship. If you know of any link about this please let me know). thanks.
To become common-law is 12 months continue cohabitation.

I mis-read you typed few days per month.

BUT if it's few days per week.. how many days? A week only have 7 days....

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
He lives here and spends most of the time with me as here is his primary residence, and has lived with me last year as well (I read the meaning of common law partner on the internet and it explains that even if my partner has lived for 1 full year with me he can be counted as my common-law partner, and he has been with me more than 1 year) but a few days per week he works on-site so he also has another residence where he stays at when he has to work on-site. He has my address on some of his membership cards, and one of the utilities that allowed joint account holder, we also have one joint bank account together, but for our other bank accounts we have separate accounts and credit cards as he is not my fiance/spouse yet (however, I could not find any specific conditions on Canada immigration about how many years, or what is required specifically etc for common law co-sponsorship. If you know of any link about this please let me know). thanks.
Have you filed your taxes as common law partners?

CanadaFar

Star Member
Jun 13, 2021
After you prove that he is your common law partner of at least one year, he can be your co sponsor. Both show NOA. Things like joint accounts, lease can be proofs of being common law partner.
We have a joint bank account and joint membership cards, and he is joint on one of my utilities account that allowed joint account too, but we have filed our taxes separately last years. Also where we live is a sublet place and we have always paid the rent month to month to the tenant who is in the contract with the main landlord (we rented/sublet and pay month to month). Would that be acceptable for him to co-sponsor my parents with me, and would the minimum required income be for 4 people in that case (my parents, me and him)?

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
We have joint a bank account and joint membership cards, and he is joint on one of my utilities account that allowed joint account too, but we have filed our taxes separately last years? Also where we live is a sublet place and we have always paid the rent month to month to the tenant who is in the contract with the main landlord (we rented/sublet and pay month to month). Would that be acceptable for him to co-sponsor my parents with me, and would the minimum required income be for 4 people in that case (my parents, me and him)?
You need to be filing your taxes as common law if you are in fact common law partners. This is one of the pieces of evidence that IRCC will consider to confirm your status and you must include your NOAs in the parent sponsorship application. You will both need to refile your tax returns as common law.

Yes - you need to include him in the LICO calculation which will bring the total to 4 people.

CanadaFar

Star Member
Jun 13, 2021
Have you filed your taxes as common law partners?
No, but that is not required as far as I know. Are you sure, refiling our taxes as common law is for sure required? where is this mentioned, and would taxes for 2020 only suffice, or does it have to be for all past three years? and should we in that case, have one joint CRA account as well for sure?