+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

2021 Applying Sponsorship for parents but lower income than Minimum in 2020

CanadaFar

Star Member
Jun 13, 2021
I'm a Canadian citizen want to finally apply to sponsor my father and mother for now in 2021, however, due to Covid I could not work at all during 2020, so my only income in 2020 were my CRB payments from Canada government (which was about $8000 in total), however, I have worked all last years 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 and my income for those years and before were all above the minimum required income specified, and 2020 was the only year that I didn't have any income of my own. I have enough money in my bank accounts (more than $250,000) to sponsor my parents and more and for myself too and I will be working in 2021 as well. Given my situation I would appreciate if you can kindly guide me how I can get approved for sponsoring my parents given that 2020 was the pandemic year and many did not have any income at all, and the minimum income for 2020 is specified as $32,899. I hope you can really help me, as I could not find a solution for that anywhere on any website. Thank you.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Right now I don't believe there is a solution. The minimum income is a requirement that applies for all years.

You can wait until it is next announced to see if the requirements change, but unlikely it would be reduced that much. (Unless very radically changed)

Given that the only realistic way may be to look at super visa or other options.

Sorry this isn't more positive response.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
2021 is also a pandemic year....

You would need to wait for IRCC announcement of this year's PGP program. Btw, if you have co-sponsor (who is your spouse) who meets the MNI, then no issue.

Reactions: armoured

CanadaFar

Star Member
Jun 13, 2021
2021 is also a pandemic year....

You would need to wait for IRCC announcement of this year's PGP program. Btw, if you have co-sponsor (who is your spouse) who meets the MNI, then no issue.
='( I don't have a spouse unfortunately if only spouse can be co-sponsor, but my father's brother and sister (my aunt and uncle) and their children (my cousins) are all also citizens of Canada who live here, could that help? and when would be the IRCC announcements for PGP program? and is there any hope it would take into account situations like mine and reduce or omit the minimum income for 2020? How can I get on-time update about that, and is it advisable that I wait to hear about that? or apply for it now from now (as my NOA for 2019 and 2018 meet the minimum requirement), and if in case if it wouldn't get better at all I would withdraw my application before it is processed just to be ahead in the line? (which I hope there would be a solution as many who are stable financially were jobless in 2020). Also do I need to stay in Canada after my parents get their PR through sponsorship for them to keep their status and become citizens? I'm a Canadian citizen, but was thinking to study for a few years in US after my parents get PR, which I don't know now when that would be. I would really appreciate any solutions or info you can guide me with :(

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
='( I don't have a spouse unfortunately if only spouse can be co-sponsor, but my father's brother and sister (my aunt and uncle) and their children (my cousins) are all also citizens of Canada who live here, could that help?
Unfortunately no. Only spouse or common law patner of the sponsor can become a co-sponsor.

CanadaFar

Star Member
Jun 13, 2021
Right now I don't believe there is a solution. The minimum income is a requirement that applies for all years.

You can wait until it is next announced to see if the requirements change, but unlikely it would be reduced that much. (Unless very radically changed)

Given that the only realistic way may be to look at super visa or other options.

='( I don't have a spouse unfortunately if only spouse can be co-sponsor, but my father's brother and sister (my aunt and uncle) and their children (my cousins) are all also citizens of Canada who live here, could that help? and when would be the IRCC announcements for PGP program? and is there any hope it would take into account situations like mine and reduce or omit the minimum income for 2020? How can I get on-time update about that, and is it advisable that I wait to hear about that? or apply for it now from now (as my NOA for 2019 and 2018 meet the minimum requirement), and if in case if it wouldn't get better at all I would withdraw my application before it is processed just to be ahead in the line? (which I hope there would be a solution as many who are stable financially were jobless in 2020). Also do I need to stay in Canada after my parents get their PR through sponsorship for them to keep their status and become citizens? I'm a Canadian citizen, but was thinking to study for a few years in US after my parents get PR, which I don't know now when that would be. I would really appreciate any solutions or info you can guide me with :(

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Also do I need to stay in Canada after my parents get their PR through sponsorship for them to keep their status and become citizens? I'm a Canadian citizen, but was thinking to study for a few years in US after my parents get PR, which I don't know now when that would be. I would really appreciate any solutions or info you can guide me with :(
It is required that you need to be physically live in Canada until they become PR.

Edit: Once they become PR, you can live outside Canada.

Last edited:

CanadaFar

Star Member
Jun 13, 2021
It is required that you need to be physically live in Canada until they become PR.
Thank you guys for you answers, I can definitely stay in Canada until my parents become PR, but I just need help with the 2020 minimum income as I was also sick during 2020 aside from pandemic job search challenges so I really could not work during 2020. How can I know when there is an update on that?

CanadaFar

Star Member
Jun 13, 2021

Thank you guys for you answers, I can definitely stay in Canada until my parents become PR, but I just need help with the 2020 minimum income as I was also sick during 2020 aside from pandemic job search challenges so I really could not work during 2020. How can I know when there is an update on that? :(

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
How can I get on-time update about that, and is it advisable that I wait to hear about that? or apply for it now from now (as my NOA for 2019 and 2018 meet the minimum requirement), and if in case if it wouldn't get better at all I would withdraw my application before it is processed just to be ahead in the line? (which I hope there would be a solution as many who are stable financially were jobless in 2020).
The PGP program for 2020 has closed. You would need to wait for IRCC announcement if the 2021 program is open to accept new applications. I do not know how to get on-time update about the announcement, but if you lurk this forum from time to time, you might realise if they are accepting new applications for PGP.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you guys for you answers, I can definitely stay in Canada until my parents become PR, but I just need help with the 2020 minimum income as I was also sick during 2020 aside from pandemic job search challenges so I really could not work during 2020. How can I know when there is an update on that? anyway that I can start petition or any alternative solution that can help me given that it was the pandemic year, i was sick (and I also had to study)? :(
Sure, start a petition. Write your mp .

But recognize that it is structured as a lottery and demand for bringing parents far exceeds the number of spots offered. You would not have been guaranteed a spot even if you met the minimum and many wait for years and years with no success.

Alternative solutions might mean recognizing chances are low and settling on visits and other life arrangements (at minimum while you wait and see).

CanadaFar

Star Member
Jun 13, 2021
The PGP program for 2020 has closed. You would need to wait for IRCC announcement if the 2021 program is open to accept new applications. I do not know how to get on-time update about the announcement, but if you lurk this forum from time to time, you might realise if they are accepting new applications for PGP.
Thank you, how does the PGP program work? is it like a lottery with less conditions than parents sponsorship? and how long does that take to get PR for my parents with that program, and is it probable that this program would be available in 2021 (hopefully soon) too? Also what are the requirements for super visa, do I need to stay in Canada during the time if my parents would come to canada with supervisa? and can I apply and get the supervisa every 2 years that it expires, and do I need to have income from Canada for getting PR for my parents through PGP or sponsorhip, or can I work in US the years prior to that?

CanadaFar

Star Member
Jun 13, 2021
Sure, start a petition. Write your mp .

But recognize that it is structured as a lottery and demand for bringing parents far exceeds the number of spots offered. You would not have been guaranteed a spot even if you met the minimum and many wait for years and years with no success.

Alternative solutions might mean recognizing chances are low and settling on visits and other life arrangements (at minimum while you wait and see).
Thanks but I thought the PGP program is more like lottery with limited number of applicants, versus the parents sponsorship which is more a guaranteed route. I thought they were two different ways for getting parents the PR in Canada, aren't they different??? Can you please guide me how does the PGP program work? is it like a lottery with less conditions than parents sponsorship? and how long does that take to get PR for my parents with that program, and is it probable that this program would be available in 2021 (hopefully soon) too? Also what are the requirements for super visa, do I need to stay in Canada during the time if my parents would come to canada with supervisa? and can I apply and get the supervisa every 2 years that it expires, and do I need to have income from Canada for getting PR for my parents through PGP or sponsorhip, or can I work in US the years prior to that?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you, how does the PGP program work? is it like a lottery with less conditions than parents sponsorship? and how long does that take to get PR for my parents with that program, and is it probable that this program would be available in 2021 (hopefully soon) too? Also what are the requirements for super visa, do I need to stay in Canada during the time if my parents would come to canada with supervisa? and can I apply and get the supervisa every 2 years that it expires, and do I need to have income from Canada for getting PR for my parents through PGP or sponsorhip, or can I work in US the years prior to that?
Last year's PGP is selected by lottery. Some posters said government does not prioritised this program and might take as long as 24 months to process (despite our 2017 pgp took only 1.5 years). You can check supervisa's requirement in the canada.ca website.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks but I thought the PGP program is more like lottery with limited number of applicants, versus the parents sponsorship which is more a guaranteed route. I thought they were two different ways for getting parents the PR in Canada, aren't they different??? Can you please guide me how does the PGP program work? is it like a lottery with less conditions than parents sponsorship? and how long does that take to get PR for my parents with that program, and is it probable that this program would be available in 2021 (hopefully soon) too? Also what are the requirements for super visa, do I need to stay in Canada during the time if my parents would come to canada with supervisa? and can I apply and get the supervisa every 2 years that it expires, and do I need to have income from Canada for getting PR for my parents through PGP or sponsorhip, or can I work in US the years prior to that?
PGP is the sponsorship route for parents. So it is not guaranteed. And the conditions are to qualify after being selected in the lottery. Note also that they can be disqualified on medical grounds.

Suggest you google for the supervisa info.

In all cases, Canada has zero interest in assisting anyone bring their parents who is not living in Canada and paying taxes, so not compatible with your plans to reside abroad.