+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

2021 Applying Sponsorship for parents but lower income than Minimum in 2020

CanadaFar

Star Member
Jun 13, 2021
A small correction here. That is not the minimum income you need to meet for 2020. You need to meet the minimum income for 3 people which is $40,445. When you calculate the income levels you need to meet for each year, you need to include yourself and your parents in the number of people covered. So in your case this means you need to meet LICO for 3 people.
I am a Canadian Citizen with good bank account (sufficient for sponsoring 3 people), are you sure, that I should still count myself in the number of people too?? I checked on my CRA account now, and I see that with my EI benefits, etc that I received in 2020, I have actually earned $27.259 in 2020 (that is my total taxable net income for 2020), can I at least sponsor 1 of my parents with that? the minimum income I see on all websites are for 2 people, but can I apply to sponsor at least for one of my parents with that income this year? what is the minimum income for 1 parent if I want to apply for one for now, and can my other parent (e.g.my father) immigrate after my first parent (e.g. my mother) becomes a PR? can you please guide me on that? is there any hope for me with this update?

CanadaFar

Star Member
Jun 13, 2021
PGP and Parents Sponsorship are the same thing. There's no way around it for your 2020 income besides waiting a few years. They don't make exceptions on income, some have been rejected for <$100. I'm a 2019 applicant and was just approved so it took just over 2 years total, many are still waiting. I'd definitely look at super visa for your situation.
I am a Canadian Citizen with good bank account (sufficient for sponsoring 3 people), do you know if I should I count myself in the number of people mentioned for sponsoring mentioned on the tables (or is the number of people except myself)? I have an important update too, I checked on my CRA account now, and I see that with my EI benefits, etc that I received in 2020, I have actually earned $27.259 in 2020 (that is my total taxable net income for 2020), can I at least sponsor 1 of my parents with that? the minimum income I see on all websites are for 2 people, but can I apply to sponsor at least for one of my parents with that income this year? what is the minimum income for 1 parent if I want to apply for one for now, and can my other parent (e.g.my father) immigrate after my first parent (e.g. my mother) becomes a PR? can you please guide me on that? is there any hope for me with this update?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am a Canadian Citizen with good bank account (sufficient for sponsoring 3 people), are you sure, that I should still count myself in the number of people too?? I checked on my CRA account now, and I see that with my EI benefits, etc that I received in 2020, I have actually earned $27.259 in 2020 (that is my total taxable net income for 2020), can I at least sponsor 1 of my parents with that? the minimum income I see on all websites are for 2 people, but can I apply to sponsor at least for one of my parents with that income this year? what is the minimum income for 1 parent if I want to apply for one for now, and can my other parent (e.g.my father) immigrate after my first parent (e.g. my mother) becomes a PR? can you please guide me on that? is there any hope for me with this update?
Yes, I am 100% sure that you need to include yourself in the calculation.

No, you cannot sponsor just one parent with the income you have. You need to have enough LICO to cover 3 people (yourself and both of your parents) even if you just want to sponsor one parent.

Reactions: YVR123

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am a Canadian Citizen with good bank account (sufficient for sponsoring 3 people), do you know if I should I count myself in the number of people mentioned for sponsoring mentioned on the tables (or is the number of people except myself)? I have an important update too, I checked on my CRA account now, and I see that with my EI benefits, etc that I received in 2020, I have actually earned $27.259 in 2020 (that is my total taxable net income for 2020), can I at least sponsor 1 of my parents with that? the minimum income I see on all websites are for 2 people, but can I apply to sponsor at least for one of my parents with that income this year? what is the minimum income for 1 parent if I want to apply for one for now, and can my other parent (e.g.my father) immigrate after my first parent (e.g. my mother) becomes a PR? can you please guide me on that? is there any hope for me with this update?
Here are the details on how you calculate family size. It's very clear you MUST include yourself and also BOTH of your parents even if you are only sponsoring one parent right now.

Follow these 2 steps to calculate the size of your family:

Step 1. How many people are in your family (including how many you sponsored before)?
Include

• yourself
  • your spouse (even if you’re separated) or common-law partner (who could also be your co-signer)
  • your dependent children
    • their dependent children, if they have any
  • your spouse’s or partner’s dependent children, and
Then add

• any other person you and your co-signer (if you have one) sponsored in the past, whom you’re still financially responsible for (for example, sponsored refugees)
Step 2. How many people do you want to sponsor?
Include

• the number of parents and grandparents you want to sponsor this year
  • their spouses (even if separated) or common-law partners
  • their dependent children and
You must include all the above family members, even if they will not come to Canada with your parents or grandparents.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5772-application-sponsor-parents-grandparents.html

CanadaFar

Star Member
Jun 13, 2021
Yes, I am 100% sure that you need to include yourself in the calculation.

No, you cannot sponsor just one parent with the income you have. You need to have enough LICO to cover 3 people (yourself and both of your parents) even if you just want to sponsor one parent.
Can others also confirm this please? So even if I want to sponsor only one of my parents for now, I have to have the minimum specified for 3 people? Where is this mentioned, can you send me the link with clarification on this specifically?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Can others also confirm this please? So even if I want to sponsor only one of my parents for now, I have to have the minimum specified for 3 people? Where is this mentioned, can you send me the link with clarification on this specifically?
I already provided this information. See above. This is a basic rule.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
You have the link to govt of Canada site above. If you want a different answer, hire a lawyer and stop repeating the same questions. This info is public.

Of course, if a lawyer promises you different than what's public knowledge direct from the source, you might want to be cautious.

Reactions: steaky

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would add that LICO for 2020 has already been dramatically decreased to account for more difficult economic situation during the pandemic. It’s unfortunate that you didn’t look for a temporary job to boost your income knowing you wanted to try and sponsor your parents.

CanadaFar

Star Member
Jun 13, 2021
Would add that LICO for 2020 has already been dramatically decreased to account for more difficult economic situation during the pandemic. It’s unfortunate that you didn’t look for a temporary job to boost your income knowing you wanted to try and sponsor your parents.
Yes, I know it is very unfortunate, but this year many were in this situation, plus I had a big exam that I needed to study for and was taking courses and studying online too (aside from that I was sick for while as I my knee was badly hurt), could anyone these help, even through a lawyer, in addition to that i have been a citizen for a few years and PR since 2014 with good income and with good bank statements for all those years and 2020 was the only exception? I would appreciate any help.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes, I know it is very unfortunate, but this year many were in this situation, plus I had a big exam that I needed to study for and was taking courses and studying online too (aside from that I was sick for while as I my knee was badly hurt), could anyone these help, even through a lawyer, in addition to that i have been a citizen for a few years and PR since 2014 with good income and with good bank statements for all those years and 2020 was the only exception? I would appreciate any help.
There are no exceptions granted to the income requirement. Unfortunately the reasons don't matter. Either you meet the income requirements or you don't qualify as a sponsor and the application will be refused.

A lawyer won't help. They can't change immigrate laws. The outcome will still be the same.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I can confirm this. I think most ppl who went through PGP can confirm this as well. Also want to point out that with that minimum income, you can't support your parents even after they move here. A lot of the cost for elderly to live here is not covered by the government and if they apply for soical assistance, YOU will need to pay back the government for that. (and it's for 20 years after they become PR)

CanadaFar

Star Member
Jun 13, 2021
I can confirm this. I think most ppl who went through PGP can confirm this as well. Also want to point out that with that minimum income, you can't support your parents even after they move here. A lot of the cost for elderly to live here is not covered by the government and if they apply for soical assistance, YOU will need to pay back the government for that. (and it's for 20 years after they become PR)
As mentioned 2020 was the only year that I had low income due to several reasons including pandemic, my classes and exams, and the surgery that I had to have, all other years I have had much higher than minimum income, and have above minimum income again from this year and onward, so I have a good bank balance, and do not have any problem sponsoring and paying for any costs for their health if need be, but I did not apply for those previous years unfortunately. Do you know when the PGP of 2021 would open again? and how much is its application fee?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
As mentioned 2020 was the only year that I had low income due to several reasons including pandemic, my classes and exams, and the surgery that I had to have, all other years I have had much higher than minimum income, and have above minimum income again from this year and onward, so I have a good bank balance, and do not have any problem sponsoring and paying for any costs for their health if need be, but I did not apply for those previous years unfortunately. Do you know when the PGP of 2021 would open again? and how much is its application fee?
We do not know when the 2021 lottery will open.

You do not meet the requirements to sponsor your parents in 2021 due to your 2020 income. The reasons don't matter. The fact you have a good bank balance also does not matter. If you are selected through the lottery and apply, you will be refused due to not meeting the income requirements.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Do not argue with me. I didn't set the rules. We do not know when 2021 PGP will open and we do not know for sure they will use the same rule.
Good luck. Application fee depends on how many people are you going to sponsor. But again, since the program hasn't been open yet, there is no accurate number. Check previous years PGP for rough amount of fees.Iit shouldn't concern you, they are in the range of $2000 and up (application fee, landing fee, medical cost ...etc)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Knowing that you wanted to sponsor your parents you could have prioritized working versus taking courses. That is personal choice. The LICO was already reduced to a very low level for 2020.