+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

2021 Applying Sponsorship for parents but lower income than Minimum in 2020

CanadaFar

Star Member
Jun 13, 2021
You need to be filing your taxes as common law if you are in fact common law partners. This is one of the pieces of evidence that IRCC will consider to confirm your status and you must include your NOAs in the parent sponsorship application. You will both need to refile your tax returns as common law.

Yes - you need to include him in the LICO calculation which will bring the total to 4 people.
Are you sure, refiling our taxes as common law is for sure required? where is this mentioned, and would taxes for 2020 only suffice, or does it have to be for all past three years? and should we in that case, have one joint CRA account as well for sure?

CanadaFar

Star Member
Jun 13, 2021
To become common-law is 12 months continue cohabitation.

I mis-read you typed few days per month.

BUT if it's few days per week.. how many days? A week only have 7 days....
Yes, we have lived together for 1 year at least, and few days per month I meant not per week sorry :)

Reactions: YVR123

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Are you sure, refiling our taxes as common law is for sure required? where is this mentioned, and would taxes for 2020 only suffice, or does it have to be for all past three years? and should we in that case, have one joint CRA account as well for sure?
I don't think Canada has "joint" filing....
You know that common law is almost like marriage without the marraige certificate. Check with your HR and your common law partner's HR because that's going to affect medical coverage, benefit...etc.

CanadaFar

Star Member
Jun 13, 2021
I don't think Canada has "joint" filing....
You know that common law is almost like marriage without the marraige certificate. Check with your HR and your common law partner's HR because that's going to affect medical coverage, benefit...etc.
So my other questions are that should he have the minimum (or above) income for the past three years alone by himself, or the sum of his income plus my income (NOAs) together in the for each other past three years would also be acceptable if it would be more than the required minimum mentioned? and should it be the minimum required for 4 people in that case (my parents, me, and he)? If you know where this is mentioned, can you please share its link so I can read more? thank you!

Last edited:

CanadaFar

Star Member
Jun 13, 2021
You need to be filing your taxes as common law if you are in fact common law partners. This is one of the pieces of evidence that IRCC will consider to confirm your status and you must include your NOAs in the parent sponsorship application. You will both need to refile your tax returns as common law.

Yes - you need to include him in the LICO calculation which will bring the total to 4 people.
Also my other questions are that should he have the minimum (or above) income for the past three years alone by himself, or the sum of his income plus my income (NOAs) together in the for each other past three years would also be acceptable if it would be more than the required minimum mentioned? If you know where this is mentioned, can you please share its link so I can read more? thank you!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So my other questions are that should he have the minimum (or above) income for the past three years alone by himself, or the sum of his income plus my income (NOAs) together in the for each other past three years would also be acceptable if it would be more than the required minimum mentioned? and should it be the minimum required for 4 people in that case (my parents, me, and he)? If you know where this is mentioned, can you please share its link so I can read more? thank you!
The combined sum of his 150 and your 150 of both NOA. Yes, 4 people in that case.

Reactions: YVR123

CanadaFar

Star Member
Jun 13, 2021
The combined sum of his 150 and your 150 of both NOA. Yes, 4 people in that case.
Thanks for your response and confirmation. So you are sure that the combined sum of his NOAs of past three years and those of mine would also suffice? I could not find this exact info anywhere on CIC, if you know would be great if you can send me its link, thanks!

Last edited:

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for your response and confirmation. S you are sure that the combined sum of his NOAs of past three years and those of mine would also suffice? I could not find this exact info anywhere on CIC, if you know would be great if you can send me its link, thanks!
What I did in the 2017 PGP application was much faded, but I remembered there was a form that I need to write our combined income from line 150 of the NOA was.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
What I did in the 2017 PGP application was much faded, but I remembered there was a form that I need to write our combined income from line 150 of the NOA was.
Yes. steaky you are correct.

I did that in 2018. The form has sections to fill in tax return for the last 3 years for you and your co-sponsor (i.e. only spouse or common-law partner can be co-sponsor)
Line 15000 (formerly 150) on Your Tax Return

Reactions: steaky

CanadaFar

Star Member
Jun 13, 2021
ok, thanks, so having a joint CRA account or re-filing and co-filing taxes is not required then? I am not sure, even if there is a difference on tax forms, and even if so, if that is mandatory, can you please confirm these? and also his parents are abroad too but his parents do not want to come to canada, would he need to include them on the file too, or just the four of us?

CanadaFar

Star Member
Jun 13, 2021
Yes. steaky you are correct.

I did that in 2018. The form has sections to fill in tax return for the last 3 years for you and your co-sponsor (i.e. only spouse or common-law partner can be co-sponsor)
Line 15000 (formerly 150) on Your Tax Return
ok, thanks, so having a joint CRA account or re-filing and co-filing taxes is not required then? I am not sure, even if there is a difference on tax forms, and even if so, if that is mandatory, can you please confirm these? and also his parents are abroad too but his parents do not want to come to canada, would he need to include them on the file too, or just the four of us?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It's not up to me to say it's required or not. If IRCC thinks your document is not strong to prove you and him are common law partners, then you might need to declare your relationship in your tax return and show it. No, he don't need to include his parents if they don't want to come to Canada.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
not require but really you should update your CRA account for the common law relationship.

It's the same for married couple. I don't believe you can "joint file" but yours and your common law partner's account will point to each other as common law spouse.

CanadaFar

Star Member
Jun 13, 2021
not require but really you should update your CRA account for the common law relationship.

It's the same for married couple. I don't believe you can "joint file" but yours and your common law partner's account will point to each other as common law spouse.
Thanks for your response. I was talking with a friend of mine, as she is also planning to apply for PGP for her grandparents. This question is on behalf of her: She has a same-gender common-law partner, and she wants to know if same-gender common-law partner would also be counted as common-law partners in Canada? and also does her common-law partner also need to be a Canadian PR or Canadian Citizen for co-sponsorship of her grandparents? do you know?

Last edited:

CanadaFar

Star Member
Jun 13, 2021
It's not up to me to say it's required or not. If IRCC thinks your document is not strong to prove you and him are common law partners, then you might need to declare your relationship in your tax return and show it. No, he don't need to include his parents if they don't want to come to Canada.
Ok, thanks for your response. I was talking with a friend of mine, as she is also planning to apply for PGP for her grandparents. This question is on behalf of her: She has a same-gender common-law partner, and she wants to know if same-gender common-law partner would also be counted as common-law partners in Canada? and also does her common-law partner also need to be a Canadian PR or Canadian Citizen for co-sponsorship of her grandparents? do you know?

Last edited: