+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

2021 Applying Sponsorship for parents but lower income than Minimum in 2020

CanadaFar

Star Member
Jun 13, 2021
Yes, that's right.

Only applicants who entered the 2020 lottery will be considered this year.

If you were not in the 2020 lottery, then you are ineligible to be selected this year. You will have to wait until next year.
But what does this sentence mean in the Quick Facts in the link which it says:
  • IRCC invites more people to apply than the number of applications we aim to receive, because not all sponsors who are invited to apply submit an application.
What are the "number of applications we aim to receive" and what are the "more people"? With this sentence it seems those who haven't applied last year may also get the invitation from IRCC to apply this year. Isn't it?

CanadaFar

Star Member
Jun 13, 2021
  • IRCC invites more people to apply than the number of applications we aim to receive, because not all sponsors who are invited to apply submit an application.
What are the "number of applications we aim to receive" and what are the "more people"? With this sentence it seems those who haven't applied last year may also get the invitation from IRCC to apply this year, Isn't it?

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
What are the "number of applications we aim to receive" and what are the "more people"? With this sentence it seems those who haven't applied last year may also get the invitation from IRCC to apply this year. Isn't it?
No, it doesn't.

It means they will selected additional applications out of the pool since they know that not everyone who is invited (i.e. is selected through the lottery) will submit an application.

Once again, since you didn't enter the pool in 2020, you are not eligible this year. This is 100% clear.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Stop posting the same things over and over again.

CanadaFar

Star Member
Jun 13, 2021
Stop posting the same things over and over again.
Sorry, but this is my question thread, and I do like to get the opinions of the couple other users who were guiding and helping me on it too. I have the right to that, and I have only asked it from the three members who guide me on my last question, and those members would also not get any notification about my new question to guide me unless I reply back directly to their last reply. If you really get bothered this much about such trivial things as this, which are not even related to you at all, and are not considered spamming either because of the very legit reason that I have mentioned above on my own thread and I have the right to on my own thread, you don't even need to answer my question at all. More understanding people can reply me back, less aggressively and more politely, even if my question is was too dumb in your view. Just because something is 100% clear to you, doesn't mean that it is 100% clear to everyone, and just like my previous question that many had different opinions, each person can express their answer and provide a new insight to even the simplest question. This new question of mine is also related to the very new announcement from the PGP program that has been released just a few days ago, so these are my very first questions re. that, and nobody except you has answered to my new question re. that link, though I have asked it under my old thread in continuation of my previous questions. Cheers .

Last edited:

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hi, I have a couple new questions and would appreciate if you can clarify: 1) For seeing if I have earned the the minimum income required on my 2020 NOA for PGP program, do I need to see the amount that I have earned on the line 15000 (total income) or any other line (e.g. Total payable, or Total tax deducted, etc)? and also is the BC-TRS (BC rental supplement) considered as provincial social assistance programs that can't be counted in my income for 2020? 2) How would I know when the PGP program opens, and do you know how many more applicants would PGP lottery get this year?
I think other members have answered most of your questions.
It's pretty clear that only interested to sponsor application submitted in 2020 will be considered for the 2021 PGP.
And line 15000 is the only place the income will be considered.

If the BC rental supplement is granted based on low-income, that could be considered as social assistance and not only that cannot be considered as income but there is a chance that you cannot sponsor because you are on social assistance. I think you should contact BC-TRS to get the clarification.

It's not a pressing issue for PGP 2021 because you cannot apply anyway. But it may affect your ability to apply for future PGP programs.

CanadaFar

Star Member
Jun 13, 2021
I think other members have answered most of your questions.
It's pretty clear that only interested to sponsor application submitted in 2020 will be considered for the 2021 PGP.
And line 15000 is the only place the income will be considered.

If the BC rental supplement is granted based on low-income, that could be considered as social assistance and not only that cannot be considered as income but there is a chance that you cannot sponsor because you are on social assistance. I think you should contact BC-TRS to get the clarification.

It's not a pressing issue for PGP 2021 because you cannot apply anyway. But it may affect your ability to apply for future PGP programs.
I already checked and the BC-TRS is not an issue as it is not considered a social assistant for next year. So if I would have all the conditions required for sponsoring my parents next year, would I be able to do so? how long would this invitation-based PGP lottery (which is quite unfairly limiting as it is based on whether someone has applied for PGP in 2020 or not, rather than the urgency or true need for immigration of parents) would be this way? When would I be able to apply for my parents finally (and I know many have made their grandparents to immigrate to Canada this way, while grandparents should have been on secondary priority versus elderly parents of many others who are in desperate need of being with their immediate children in Canada)

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I already checked and the BC-TRS is not an issue as it is not considered a social assistant for next year. So if I would have all the conditions required for sponsoring my parents next year, would I be able to do so? how long would this invitation-based PGP lottery (which is quite unfairly limiting as it is based on whether someone has applied for PGP in 2020 or not, rather than the urgency or true need for immigration of parents) would be this way? When would I be able to apply for my parents finally (and I know many have made their grandparents to immigrate to Canada this way, while grandparents should have been on secondary priority versus elderly parents of many others who are in desperate need of being with their immediate children in Canada)
No one knows the future.
And if they don't change it, it's a lottery and some people got picked the first time they entered and some don't get picked for mutliple years.

Good luck for next year.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Parent sponsorship was never guaranteed. The demand far exceeds the amount of spaces and Canada can’t care for it’s current population especially with covid.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you! My friend's common law partner also asks for how long minimum she needs to stay as co-sponsor? in case, if she would have a difficult situation, can she under any circumstances if my friend's parents get accepted for the immigration remove herself from being their co-sponsor if my friend would have high incomes for the next years? or she would have no other option under any circumstances but to be the co-sponsor for at least 20 years after they apply?
Singing to co-sponsor could mean agreeing to pay $1000+/month for each parent if ever they need LTC so someone needs to be 100% committed before co-sponsoring. On top of the financial commitment the parents will count in their family size if they ever want to sponsor their own parents or another partner’s parents. It is a HUGE financial commitment.

You also must qualify for both parents. You can’t qualify for one at a time.