+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

2021 Applying Sponsorship for parents but lower income than Minimum in 2020

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ok, thanks for your response. I was talking with a friend of mine, as she is also planning to apply for PGP. This question is on behalf of her: She has a same-gender common-law partner, and she wants to know if same-gender common-law partner would also be counted as common-law partners in Canada? and also does her common-law partner also need to be a Canadian PR or Canadian Citizen for co-sponsorship of her grandparents? do you know?
Both yes

Reactions: CanadaFar

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
I'm a Canadian citizen want to finally apply to sponsor my father and mother for now in 2021, however, due to Covid I could not work at all during 2020, so my only income in 2020 were my CRB payments from Canada government (which was about $8000 in total), however, I have worked all last years 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 and my income for those years and before were all above the minimum required income specified, and 2020 was the only year that I didn't have any income of my own. I have enough money in my bank accounts (more than $250,000) to sponsor my parents and more and for myself too and I will be working in 2021 as well. Given my situation I would appreciate if you can kindly guide me how I can get approved for sponsoring my parents given that 2020 was the pandemic year and many did not have any income at all, and the minimum income for 2020 is specified as $32,899. I hope you can really help me, as I could not find a solution for that anywhere on any website. Thank you.
Honestly, no there is no way around this if you don't meet the criteria then you can't, this is very straight forward.

I really hope you weren't one of those who submitted an expression of interest and were then drawn just to not be able to sponsor your parents and taking the opportunity from someone else.

I've heard of way to many people who knowing they didn't meet the criteria still submitted and EOI.

CanadaFar

Star Member
Jun 13, 2021
Honestly, no there is no way around this if you don't meet the criteria then you can't, this is very straight forward.

I really hope you weren't one of those who submitted an expression of interest and were then drawn just to not be able to sponsor your parents and taking the opportunity from someone else.

I've heard of way to many people who knowing they didn't meet the criteria still submitted and EOI.
I was not like that, and also, this question has been resolved already. I think there are many other questions on the forums waiting for help, that you can reply to those instead. thanks.

Naheulbeuck

Aug 14, 2015
ok, thanks, so having a joint CRA account or re-filing and co-filing taxes is not required then? I am not sure, even if there is a difference on tax forms, and even if so, if that is mandatory, can you please confirm these? and also his parents are abroad too but his parents do not want to come to canada, would he need to include them on the file too, or just the four of us?
It does not matter if it is required for IRCC, it is mandatory for CRA and once you file your immigration file, the government is aware of the discrepancy. Based on your income, you have received money that you were not entitled to (single with very low income vs common law with enough income for LICO).

You need to refile those tax return to meet CRA's requirements and will likely have to repay some of those moneys, it is however better than when CRA knows that you are filing immigration as common law but taxes as single.

You must tell the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) about your new marital status by the end of the following month after your status changed. For example, if your status changed in March, you must tell us by the end of April.

Notify the CRA if:

• you married
  • you became common-law
  • you separated for more than 90 days (due to a breakdown in the relationship)
  • you divorced
  • your spouse or common-law partner died
If you have separated, wait until 90 consecutive days have passed before telling us.

We will recalculate your benefits based on your new marital status and adjusted family net income. The adjustment will start the month after your marital status changed.

Reactions: canuck78

CanadaFar

Star Member
Jun 13, 2021
I am a Canadian Citizen with good bank account (sufficient for sponsoring 3 people), are you sure, that I should still count myself in the number of people too?? I checked on my CRA account now, and I see that with my EI benefits, etc that I received in 2020, I have actually earned $28.384 in 2020 (that is my total taxable net income for 2020), can I at least sponsor 1 of my parents with that? the minimum income I see on all websites are for 2 people, but can I apply to sponsor at least for one of my parents with that income this year? what is the minimum income for 1 parent if I want to apply for one for now, and can my other parent (e.g.my father) immigrate after my first parent (e.g. my mother) becomes a PR? can you please guide me on that? is there any hope for me with this update?

CanadaFar

Star Member
Jun 13, 2021
It does not matter if it is required for IRCC, it is mandatory for CRA and once you file your immigration file, the government is aware of the discrepancy. Based on your income, you have received money that you were not entitled to (single with very low income vs common law with enough income for LICO).

You need to refile those tax return to meet CRA's requirements and will likely have to repay some of those moneys, it is however better than when CRA knows that you are filing immigration as common law but taxes as single.

You must tell the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) about your new marital status by the end of the following month after your status changed. For example, if your status changed in March, you must tell us by the end of April.

Notify the CRA if:

• you married
  • you became common-law
  • you separated for more than 90 days (due to a breakdown in the relationship)
  • you divorced
  • your spouse or common-law partner died
If you have separated, wait until 90 consecutive days have passed before telling us.

We will recalculate your benefits based on your new marital status and adjusted family net income. The adjustment will start the month after your marital status changed.
You are stressing too much and unnecessarily, because, first of all, we were common law only for about a year, and am not even yet hundred percent sure if we were counted as common law then or not, we have planned to meet a lawyer to ask about that before applying, and also since my partner was out of country before that, it may be less than a full tax year, and that was also in that exceptional pandemic year that both of our incomes were too low to the extent that our solo tax filing and combo tax filing both were within one tax bracket, and would have the same return as solo with no difference as the sum of both of our incomes together in that year is only the very minimum required for the sponsorship and we asked and confirmed about that there would be no difference in our returns at all in that year either. The years before that also we were not common law at all, and only our separate individual solo income was the very minimum required for the sponsorship, and we filed those taxes correctly too. Also we don't have any problem filing or refiling our taxes as common laws even for that partial duration, if we would be counted as common-laws by the lawyer and that it would be continuous. We have scheduled an appointment with lawyer and he can confirm if we we can be counted as common law for that year or not. Cheers.

Last edited:

Naheulbeuck

Aug 14, 2015
You are stressing too much and unnecessarily, because, first of all, we were common law only for about a year, and am not even yet hundred percent sure if we were counted as common law then or not, we have planned to meet a lawyer to ask about that before applying, and also since my partner was out of country before that, it may be less than a full tax year, and that was also in that exceptional pandemic year that both of our incomes were too low to the extent that our solo tax filing and combo tax filing both were within one tax bracket, and would have the same return as solo with no difference as the sum of both of our incomes together in that year is only the very minimum required for the sponsorship and we asked and confirmed about that there would be no difference in our returns at all in that year either.
Well that is based on the information you provided, and you tend to mix things up. Just answering your ten post about "but do we have to file as common law"

Tax year is irrelevant to your marital status, the second part of my message is the quote directly from the government's website, no stressing anything, just quoting the exact rule. As quoted:

"You must tell the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) about your new marital status by the end of the following month after your status changed. For example, if your status changed in March, you must tell us by the end of April." (including common law)

If you meet the criteria for common law, you meet the criteria for common law for all agencies, the criteria are not specific to each agency (different from provincial rules though).

Understand that one rule applies to both agencies and plan for it accordingly that's all.

As for the tax filing, the filing is individual but the benefits are determined based on family size, that's where it matters significantly, your tax would most likely not change by much if at all, but the benefits you are receiving (for example GST credit) would be impacted, with just GST credit that could be wiped resulting in repayment of approximately 600 dollars.

This is just for your information, it is something to be aware of, not just for you, but for other readers who read your post to understand their own situation and how to deal with it.

You quoted your post earlier, I believe that question has been answered but just in case you were not sure, unfortunately there is no way around, unless one parent is deceased (and I really hope it does not happen) there is no way to change the financial criteria from 2 parents to just one and the impact is quite significant as missing one year usually delays qualifying for 3 years (even if after that income is 10 times the requirements which seems a bit harsh but unfortunately no way around that).

Your best way is indeed to cosponsor, but keep in mind that it also adds one person to the family size, so, unless financial requirements for that year get amended, you need a combined income of (for the years 2020, 2019 and 2018)
4 people$48,167$61,209$60,271

If you are common law but he does not want to cosponsor (it has implications long term: financial with repayment of any social assistance and future sponsorship as he would have to include your parents in his own family size if he ever needs to sponsor someone himself) then you need to meet income requirements for 4 people with just your income.

By yourself, you will need to meet those requirements (again if nothing changes)
3 people$39,672$50,414$49,641

Family size is 1 (you) + 2 (parents) + 1 (spouse if applicable)

The 2020 numbers have been reduced as we can see above compared to 2019 and 2018 so we don't expect them to get any lower, it is unsure if 2021 will be reduced or go back to 2019/2018 levels.

Again, all this is just information to be mindful of and to best plan for the future, nothing more.

Reactions: canuck78

CanadaFar

Star Member
Jun 13, 2021
Thank you! My friend's common law partner also asks for how long minimum she needs to stay as co-sponsor? in case, if she would have a difficult situation, can she under any circumstances if my friend's parents get accepted for the immigration remove herself from being their co-sponsor if my friend would have high incomes for the next years? or she would have no other option under any circumstances but to be the co-sponsor for at least 20 years after they apply?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Thank you! My friend's common law partner also asks for how long minimum she needs to stay as co-sponsor? in case, if she would have a difficult situation, can she under any circumstances if my friend's parents get accepted for the immigration remove herself from being their co-sponsor if my friend would have high incomes for the next years? or she would have no other option under any circumstances but to be the co-sponsor for at least 20 years after they apply?
It's a committment! For both entering into a common law relationship and to co-sign for a sponsorship.

Once the parents landed as PR, the co-signer is having that undertaking for 20 years.

If the co-signer withdraw during the application process, the application may not go through with a lower family income (the co-signer's income will not be count towards the LICO to sponsor parents BUT the common law partner is still part of the family size.)

The calculation happens for all years if the co-signer withdraws. (not only the "future years")

CanadaFar

Star Member
Jun 13, 2021
It's a committment! For both entering into a common law relationship and to co-sign for a sponsorship.

Once the parents landed as PR, the co-signer is having that undertaking for 20 years.

If the co-signer withdraw during the application process, the application may not go through with a lower family income (the co-signer's income will not be count towards the LICO to sponsor parents BUT the common law partner is still part of the family size.)

The calculation happens for all years if the co-signer withdraws. (not only the "future years")
Hi, I have a couple new questions and would appreciate if you can clarify: 1) For seeing if I have earned the the minimum income required on my 2020 NOA for PGP program, do I need to see the amount that I have earned on the line 15000 (total income) or any other line (e.g. Total payable, or Total tax deducted, etc)? and also is the BC-TRS (BC rental supplement) considered as provincial social assistance programs that can't be counted in my income for 2020? 2) How would I know when the PGP program opens, and do you know how many more applicants would PGP lottery get this year?

CanadaFar

Star Member
Jun 13, 2021
It's not up to me to say it's required or not. If IRCC thinks your document is not strong to prove you and him are common law partners, then you might need to declare your relationship in your tax return and show it. No, he don't need to include his parents if they don't want to come to Canada.
Hi, I have a couple new questions and would appreciate if you can clarify: 1) For seeing if I have earned the the minimum income required on my 2020 NOA for PGP program, do I need to see the amount that I have earned on the line 15000 (total income) or any other line (e.g. Total payable, or Total tax deducted, etc)? and also is the BC-TRS (BC rental supplement) considered as provincial social assistance programs that can't be counted in my income for 2020? 2) How would I know when the PGP program opens, and do you know how many more applicants would PGP lottery get this year?

CanadaFar

Star Member
Jun 13, 2021
What do you mean that he lives part-time with you? Does he have another primary residence?

Do you share the same primary address, utilities, bank accounts / credit cards?

Have you both filed your taxes as common law for the last few years?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes Line 15000 and read here:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/2021/07/ircc-to-accept-a-record-number-of-applications-for-the-2021-parents-and-grandparents-program.html

Reactions: YVR123

CanadaFar

Star Member
Jun 13, 2021
You have the link to govt of Canada site above. If you want a different answer, hire a lawyer and stop repeating the same questions. This info is public.

Of course, if a lawyer promises you different than what's public knowledge direct from the source, you might want to be cautious.
Thanks, read the link too, but it's very sad :(, can you please clarify this? So does it mean that this year ONLY those applicants who had once applied for sponsoring their parents/grandparents last year will be sent the invitation to re-apply for sponsorship, and those applicants like me who had not applied for sponsorship last year, would not be able to apply for their parents immigration through PGP even if they have the income requirement for the past three years, and they can only apply for the temporary supervisa? :(

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks, read the link too, but it's very sad :(, can you please clarify this? So does it mean that this year ONLY those applicants who had once applied for sponsoring their parents/grandparents last year will be sent the invitation to re-apply for sponsorship, and those applicants like me who had not applied for sponsorship last year, would not be able to apply for their parents immigration through PGP even if they have the income requirement for the past three years, and they can only apply for the temporary supervisa? :(
Yes, that's right.

Only applicants who entered the 2020 lottery will be considered this year.

If you were not in the 2020 lottery, then you are ineligible to be selected this year. You will have to wait until next year.

Reactions: YVR123