Done before request
Med's Done....
25-03-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012 OWP + AIP
LANDED..........
27-11-2012
mdna said:
You can still get a driver's license without AIP. In fact I just passed my driving test last month :)
Hello, I was the one being told by SAAQ that "implied status" is not a valid status for getting a Quebec permit driver (exchange the international one for it).
I was told 2 times (by the same agent) that a visitor can drive a car with an international driving license for 6 months here in Quebec, but beyond that in order to get the permit exchange for a quebec one, the status must be different than visitor: temporary worker, student, temporary resident but "implied" doesn't mean anything to them.
Maybe you had a different status than visitor? or the SAAQ agent misleaded me...

mdna

Mar 3, 2012
vinlander said:
Hello, I was the one being told by SAAQ that "implied status" is not a valid status for getting a Quebec permit driver (exchange the international one for it).
I was told 2 times (by the same agent) that a visitor can drive a car with an international driving license for 6 months here in Quebec, but beyond that in order to get the permit exchange for a quebec one, the status must be different than visitor: temporary worker, student, temporary resident but "implied" doesn't mean anything to them.
Maybe you had a different status than visitor? or the SAAQ agent misleaded me...
Hi vinlander,

My (implied) status is "student", so I supposed that's why I was able to get it. If they do require temporary worker, student, or temporary resident status, and you're on implied status as "visitor", they are correct in not issuing you a license, since your implied status is still "visitor". Do you have a CSQ? Maybe you can try using that along with your passport.

vinlander

Dec 11, 2011
Montreal
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville, AB
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-12-2011
Doc's Request.
21-02-2012
AOR Received.
21-02-2012
Med's Request
Done before request
Med's Done....
25-03-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012 OWP + AIP
LANDED..........
27-11-2012
mdna said:
Hi vinlander,

My (implied) status is "student", so I supposed that's why I was able to get it. If they do require temporary worker, student, or temporary resident status, and you're on implied status as "visitor", they are correct in not issuing you a license, since your implied status is still "visitor". Do you have a CSQ? Maybe you can try using that along with your passport.
It is what I thought, your student status made the difference.
My wife got her CSQ since 8th of May but as "implied" is not really a status for SAAQ I don't think a CSQ will be enough. Some people told me only PR is enough for a driving license in QC but some others told me AIP + CSQ was enough. Seems like it is difficult to get the final answer on that. We also applied for an open work permit with PR (in order to get an implied status) that should be granted upon AIP.
With AIP and the CSQ we can apply for RAMQ before getting PR. so I guess with the CSQ, AIP plus the OWP maybe SAAQ will accept that...
It is so silly that my wife can't drive anymore because stupid insurance co. that stop insurring her on our car beyond the first 6 months without a QC driving license...even more since she is from Germany and the license is simply exchanged...
Frustrating to see how temporary workers or student that won't even stay in the country get everything easier than permanent resident applicant.

mdna

Mar 3, 2012
I came across this chart while searching for 2011 waiting times- very useful and well explained.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AnT5cvUy612BdEMwdm1RODl4Qmh0Q0x1aUdod194ZFE&output=html

lyn28

Star Member
Aug 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-11-2011
AOR Received.
04-02-2012
Med's Request
31-08-2012
Med's Done....
31-08-2012/Oct 13, 2012 on ecas
Interview........
06-12-2012
LANDED..........
06-12-2012
mdna, thank you for sharing :). have a blessed sunday everyone!

perkele

Star Member
Jul 4, 2012
Montréal
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
February 15, 2012
AOR Received.
May 30, 2012
Med's Done....
December 12, 2011
Any updates anyone?

Anyway, hope everyone's having a great summer :)

Chickadee

Jul 8, 2012
South Carolina, United States
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-16-2012
AOR Received.
09-18-2012
Med's Request
Sent with Application
Med's Done....
05-15-2012
Interview........
[color=#FF0000]Never!!!
VISA ISSUED...
[color=#FF0000]Never!!!
LANDED..........
[color=#FF0000]Never!!!
perkele said:
Any updates anyone?

Anyway, hope everyone's having a great summer :)
Not yet! Hoping to get some news soon. :p
They have my money, after all. :'( :p

perkele

Star Member
Jul 4, 2012
Montréal
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
February 15, 2012
AOR Received.
May 30, 2012
Med's Done....
December 12, 2011
Chickadee said:
Not yet! Hoping to get some news soon. :p
They have my money, after all. :'( :p
Yes that they do :)
I'm sure that you'll be hearing from them in the couple of weeks to come.

Chickadee

Jul 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-16-2012
AOR Received.
09-18-2012
Med's Request
Sent with Application
Med's Done....
05-15-2012
Interview........
[color=#FF0000]Never!!!
VISA ISSUED...
[color=#FF0000]Never!!!
LANDED..........
[color=#FF0000]Never!!!
perkele said:
Yes that they do :)
I'm sure that you'll be hearing from them in the couple of weeks to come.
I sure hope so ... the thing is, we discovered after we started the whole process that my husband cannot return to his country until he receives his PR, so now he feels trapped. :'(

I know, I know ... we should have done our homework better, but the CIC website is like a big maze. *sigh* :(

perkele

Star Member
Jul 4, 2012
Montréal
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
February 15, 2012
AOR Received.
May 30, 2012
Med's Done....
December 12, 2011
Chickadee said:
I sure hope so ... the thing is, we discovered after we started the whole process that my husband cannot return to his country until he receives his PR, so now he feels trapped. :'(

I know, I know ... we should have done our homework better, but the CIC website is like a big maze. *sigh* :(
Yeah but that's always easier said than done.

My boyfriend and I did our "homework" and we were ok with that originally. However, now he has to travel to Germany on a business trip in October and we're kind of worried... Technically there is no real reason for them to deny him entry but it's just nerve-wrecking that it'll be up to the visa officer's discretion and that such a decision could cancel our application... :S That said, he should have no problems as he will have a valid work permit with an LMO and CAQ and he's from a visa exempt country (Ireland). (His work permit just expired on the 13th of August, but he applied for another one so he has implied status for the time being) Also, his work offered to fly me there as well or fly him back here since he will be gone for roughly 6 weeks, so we were thinking of having me fly there towards the end of the business trip so that we could come back together. (For some reason, in my mind, I'm under the idea that it'll be better if I'm there when he passes through customs and immigration)

I'll probably create a thread about this at some point closer to October because I'm sure that there are many out there who have applied inland and had to leave the country before.

As for your case, I was also under the impression that this whole being hostage of Canada while an inland application was in process, did not apply to Americans... I could be very wrong on this matter so perhaps ask some senior members.

perkele

Star Member
Jul 4, 2012
Montréal
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
February 15, 2012
AOR Received.
May 30, 2012
Med's Done....
December 12, 2011
mdna said:
nothing... 5 months and haven't received a single letter from them. sigh!
Hey,

Did you ever end up calling them?

Chickadee

Jul 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-16-2012
AOR Received.
09-18-2012
Med's Request
Sent with Application
Med's Done....
05-15-2012
Interview........
[color=#FF0000]Never!!!
VISA ISSUED...
[color=#FF0000]Never!!!
LANDED..........
[color=#FF0000]Never!!!
perkele said:
As for your case, I was also under the impression that this whole being hostage of Canada while an inland application was in process, did not apply to Americans... I could be very wrong on this matter so perhaps ask some senior members.
Let's hope that some senior members chime in. :'(

However, I read and re-read the short section of the whole mess on the CIC website that applies to this matter, and they do not seem to show any mercy towards americans. :'(
That rule applies to all.

vinlander

Dec 11, 2011
Montreal
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville, AB
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-12-2011
Doc's Request.
21-02-2012
AOR Received.
21-02-2012
Med's Request
Done before request
Med's Done....
25-03-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012 OWP + AIP
LANDED..........
27-11-2012
Chickadee said:
Let's hope that some senior members chime in. :'(

However, I read and re-read the short section of the whole mess on the CIC website that applies to this matter, and they do not seem to show any mercy towards americans. :'(
That rule applies to all.
As far as I know there is no special treatment for American neither for England immigrant.
I think it is better to apply outland for people who needs to travel back, but od course you need to be still residing in the original country or have a proof you are returning anyway.
Inland application usually means you are currently residing in Canada and it is highly suggested not to travel until PR. The reason being an agent could cause problem at the border and deny entry which would then compromise the whole process. It is not that you don't have the right to travel, it is that any border crossing without a PR is always a risk.