+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Steps to export the vehicle from USA to Canada...

Johnparker

Star Member
Apr 1, 2016
For information for all of us here: Any one living in US can have a EIN and AES account and can enter EEI into AES system. No need to pay $75-100 USD to an agent. Instructions are at link shared below. IRS will give you instant EIN online (if you don't alredy have one). Apply one as a Sole Proprietor. Then register for ACE account. Then login to AES with ACE account info and find the page to enter Export info. You will need to know the number (ID) of port of export - find it here (https://www.cbp.gov/contact/ports). You will get ITIN once your EEI is approved in AES. ITIN should then be emailed to port of export (email address at link shared earlier) before 72 hours of export.

ALL THE BEST.!

Reference: https://www.census.gov/newsroom/blogs/global-reach/2014/05/exporting_vehicles.html
Hi AJ ,

I moved to canada. I am bring my car from US to canada. I paid the loan and got title and recall clearance letter. When i clicked on this link to register for ACE account and get ITN number, I am seeing EIN # ( employer Identification number) and other corporate information which I don't have it ( I am owner of this car). I was on work-permit H1B in US, NOT Green card holder/US Citizen.

As far as I know, H1B candidate can not open a company. If I apply for EIN number from the process you mentioned, then I will have corporation registered.

Will US residence (H1B) get EIN and company name ?

Thanks,

Canada2425

Jun 1, 2016
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
17-11-2016
Doc's Request.
NA
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
17-11-2016
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
15-12-2016
Med's Request
NA
Med's Done....
18-11-2016
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
10-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
17-03-2017
LANDED..........
18-06-2017
Hi Guys,

We have a very complicated scenario.
I am a PR holder and my wife is in the USA. Her PR spousal application is in process. She has to go to India next month and we were hoping that by that time she'll get her PR approved, which is not the case now. And she won't be able to reenter US as her student visa will expire by then.
Now the question is how do I bring her car in Canada.

1. She can't travel to Canada as she doesn't have any visa. She won't be able to enter the USA until she applies for B1/B2 visa once she gets her Canadian PR.
2. If I borrow her car and bring in Canada, how long I can keep it here in Canada without doing the formalities at the border.
3. Let's say I bring her car in Canada without her and she declares her car in B4 form. How can we finish the export/import formality using the ITN with she being in Canada? That way we won't have to pay the duties.
a. Her car registration in the USA is valid till April 2020 or May 2020
4. Last resort, she transfers the car title to me. I import it in Canada by paying $3-4k (GST, HST etc)

Very complicated. :confused::confused::confused::confused:

santab

Sep 15, 2018
Hello, I may have missed this information if it is already on this thread. So pardon me for my offense.

Where can I find info on duties I need to pay on my car?
I am planning to buy a car in US. But I also plan to relocate to Canada in next 3-4 months as a PR. I will do soft landing now but will move permanently by Jan or Feb. I dont plan to bring my car for soft landing, rather I will just rent one.
By the time I move to Canada, my car will be say around 4 month in my possession. It is a 2019 car, with purchase price of 22000 USD.

Do I need to pay any import duties when bringing car into Canada?

Canada2425

Jun 1, 2016
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
17-11-2016
Doc's Request.
NA
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
17-11-2016
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
15-12-2016
Med's Request
NA
Med's Done....
18-11-2016
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
10-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
17-03-2017
LANDED..........
18-06-2017
Hello, I may have missed this information if it is already on this thread. So pardon me for my offense.

Where can I find info on duties I need to pay on my car?
I am planning to buy a car in US. But I also plan to relocate to Canada in next 3-4 months as a PR. I will do soft landing now but will move permanently by Jan or Feb. I dont plan to bring my car for soft landing, rather I will just rent one.
By the time I move to Canada, my car will be say around 4 month in my possession. It is a 2019 car, with purchase price of 22000 USD.

Do I need to pay any import duties when bringing car into Canada?
Make sure that you mention your car when you do the soft landing in the declaration form. If you do so, you will not have to pay any duties when you bring you car in. But make sure you have it mentioned in the form and try to keep an extra copy with you when you travel so that you have a proof.

santab

Sep 15, 2018
Make sure that you mention your car when you do the soft landing in the declaration form. If you do so, you will not have to pay any duties when you bring you car in. But make sure you have it mentioned in the form and try to keep an extra copy with you when you travel so that you have a proof.
Thank you.

Does it matter if the car is purchased in last 6 months? And the percentage of parts (NAFTA car vs non-NAFTA)? I am confused after going through CBSA and RVI sites

SAM09072019

Sep 7, 2019
I have a car with another 5 years of the loan. I have got the letter from Loan provider " ok to export to Canada". I don't have the original title of the car. I learned that you can't get the original title until you pay the whole loan. Did anyone have experience with this situation? Can I get a car exported with a certified duplicate title from DMV?

Reactions: vijay_r_leo

greencard14

Star Member
Jan 31, 2014
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-06-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with app
Med's Request
13-11-2014
Med's Done....
11-12-2014
I did this. Export/import is fine at the border if you have that letter, but at least in Ontario, the DMV will not register. They will need the original title. I had a lot of back and forths with the lender in the US and explained them the whole situation. They finally sent me the original title. But as far as I know, in Ontario you need the original title to register.

vijay_r_leo

Aug 28, 2018
I was able to take my car to Canada and register in Ontario with Lender’s authorization letter, certified title history from DMV and fee paid receipt to get the DMV title. However I was on work permit and hence the US Canada Auto Transport did a temporary import. Not sure if for permanent import the rules are different. Assuming it’s only about paying the taxes or not I feel you should be able to take it and register it without any issues. It took 9 visits to service Ontario to get my car registered coz they don’t understand the US title process for a financed vehicle. Good luck

vijay_r_leo

Aug 28, 2018
I did this. Export/import is fine at the border if you have that letter, but at least in Ontario, the DMV will not register. They will need the original title. I had a lot of back and forths with the lender in the US and explained them the whole situation. They finally sent me the original title. But as far as I know, in Ontario you need the original title to register.
No my lender strictly didn’t give me the original title and hence service Ontario asked me to get certified title history from DMV and also asked me to produce the proof of paying to get that document. I called DMV from service Ontario office and they were kind enough to send me the receipt in email. Problem is they don’t get more cases with people bringing in financed vehicle coz all had thought so far that they need to clear the loan and need to have original title to get it registered in Canada. But only after 9 visits to service Ontario I was able to successfully register my car over there.

SAM09072019

Sep 7, 2019
No my lender strictly didn’t give me the original title and hence service Ontario asked me to get certified title history from DMV and also asked me to produce the proof of paying to get that document. I called DMV from service Ontario office and they were kind enough to send me the receipt in email. Problem is they don’t get more cases with people bringing in financed vehicle coz all had thought so far that they need to clear the loan and need to have original title to get it registered in Canada. But only after 9 visits to service Ontario I was able to successfully register my car over there.
Thank you. I will try to get the Title history and receipt for my vehicle. Let's see how it goes for me. I am 100% sure, lender doesn't provide the original title of the vehicle

SAM09072019

Sep 7, 2019
I am getting a certified title and approval letter to export the vehicle from my lender. will that be enough for vehicle registration in Ontario? I believe certified title copy will allow me to export the vehicle at the border as lender won't provide me the original title as the vehicle is still under auto loan

sameer318

Mar 16, 2019
Sorry this might be already asked. I plan to complete export duties during my soft landing but NOT actually register it in the trip. I.e. I plan to take the vehicle (add to GTC and do all the formalities) but then plan to use my US DL, Insurance and Registration for 2-3 months then come back , and do the final move. After which I will register the car in Canada. Is that allowed?

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Sorry this might be already asked. I plan to complete export duties during my soft landing but NOT actually register it in the trip. I.e. I plan to take the vehicle (add to GTC and do all the formalities) but then plan to use my US DL, Insurance and Registration for 2-3 months then come back , and do the final move. After which I will register the car in Canada. Is that allowed?
Are you going to do soft landing and get back to US? What is it "export duties" - the formal vehicle export at US Export Office? "... plan to use my US DL, Insurance and Registration for 2-3 months" - where to use the vehicle, in US?

sameer318

Mar 16, 2019
Are you going to do soft landing and get back to US? What is it "export duties" - the formal vehicle export at US Export Office? "... plan to use my US DL, Insurance and Registration for 2-3 months" - where to use the vehicle, in US?
Hey Alex, here is what I meant,
- I will land in August last week (with an intention to do soft landing). Declare my car in GTC. I will do the RIV, ITN and 72hour notice etc formalities to be able to export my car that I will drive in.
- I will stay in Canada for about 4 months and drive my car BUT not register it. Use my US registration, DL and US insurance to drive for those 4 months
- Come back to US, wrap things up and do the final move to Canada after about 4 months of stay in US
- On the final move, register my car in Canada, get a canadian insurance and DL

This will allow me to use my car while I am in Canada initially

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Hey Alex, here is what I meant,
- I will land in August last week (with an intention to do soft landing). Declare my car in GTC. I will do the RIV, ITN and 72hour notice etc formalities to be able to export my car that I will drive in.
- I will stay in Canada for about 4 months and drive my car BUT not register it. Use my US registration, DL and US insurance to drive for those 4 months
- Come back to US, wrap things up and do the final move to Canada after about 4 months of stay in US
- On the final move, register my car in Canada, get a canadian insurance and DL

This will allow me to use my car while I am in Canada initially
I understand of what you are saying, but I just not sure how Province rules work with formally imported car as far as how soon you have to actually register the imported vehicle.

Here is what we did. My spouse landed with vehicle (year/make/model/vin) listed on List of Goods. We did not do the formal export at US export office and did not do formal import during the landing. At the time of landing we told the CBSA that the import will be done "later", since there was an active re-call at that time. So, we were using the US plated/insured/registered car in Ontario for about 2 months. After that we did all the steps to Export ( US) and Import (Canada) and registration after that.