+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Steps to export the vehicle from USA to Canada...

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
I understand of what you are saying, but I just not sure how Province rules work with formally imported car as far as how soon you have to actually register the imported vehicle.

Here is what we did. My spouse landed with vehicle (year/make/model/vin) listed on List of Goods. We did not do the formal export at US export office and did not do formal import during the landing. At the time of landing we told the CBSA that the import will be done "later", since there was an active re-call at that time. So, we were using the US plated/insured/registered car in Ontario for about 2 months. After that we did all the steps to Export ( US) and Import (Canada) and registration after that.
I would like to add my experience. On this Tuesday I went to US export office from Canada to formally export my spouse's car ( by the way still US plated/insured/registered after her landing in August 2018, almost 2 years ago) with proper ITN number and 72 hours notification. The CBS officer refused to allow me ( the spouse) to export my wife's car and requested Power of Attorney document. So, I said that I'll bring the document "tomorrow" and proceeded to Canadian side. There I declared (at the booth) that I am driving to Canada to import my spouse's vehicle ( with some more questions about myself) and at the CBSA office did the formal import using her BSF186 form with the vehicle VIN listed there. Why it took so long to import from the time of landing? There was a Mercedes re-call, after that this virus situation, etc... So, there are no any duties and with issued import Form 1 I proceed to our home in Canada. The same day I paid my RIV fees, sand them a copy of Form 1 ( from CBSA) and at night got an electronic RIV Inspection form.

Yesterday, on Wednesday, I drove again to the US Export office, this time with Power of Attorney ( and clear Title) and did the formal US Export ( stamped Title) and again proceeded to Canadian side.

Here is the interesting part of entering Canada on US plated (exported and imported) car. I'll skip the part that I explained at the booth that I am dual citizen coming back home from work ( I work in US, so no 14 days self isolation for me ). The question was about the vehicle. I just presented the CBSA officer their Import Form 1 and explained that I just started RIV import process. He said that I can drive like that back and forth, but no more than 45 days after start of RIV Inspection process. So, my impression is that after 45 days they ( Canadians) would expect me to have the vehicle Canadian plated/insured.

Snehathomas

Star Member
Sep 5, 2019
I was successfully export the vehicle from USA and import it in Canada. I have to give a heads up that it is a tedious task, but achievable. I am giving steps in details. Please make a note that I am providing the steps for crossing over the NewYork to Ontario. Other borders in the middle and west, there may be a slight change in the process. But 90% will remain the same.

Please read through each step. Each steps are very important. Do not miss anything. This is not an official version. I am just trying to help out people. Please do go through the official documentations which I have mentioned below.

1. The vehicle should not have any vehicle loan(lien). Basically you need to have the title in hand. If you have the loan, then you need to have the letter from the bank/institution that you are allowed to export the car and cross the border.

2. The vehicle should not have any open Recalls. All the recalls should be cleared before we export. Email your vehicle manufacturer to provide a letter stating that this car is cleared from all recalls and this car is compliant with Canadian safety and compliance standards. In case you have any open recalls, go to manufacturer, get it fixed. Then wait for one day. Contact the manufacturer again to get the recall clearance letter.

3. Once the manufacturer sends this letter, email them to RIV recall@support.riv.ca. They will confirm in a day or 2 that they have accepted the same and the car is cleared for import.

4. You can get the importers checklist by navigating to this website and provide the details of your car. riv.ca/ImporterChecklist.aspx

5. Email the border customs office on both USA and Canada sides to get the information. It is very important to do it because they will let you know in case anything has changed.

Not every bridge allows exporting the vehicle. In NewYork state, only Queenston-Lewiston bridge allows exporting the vehicle.

6. You need to register in AES direct website and get the ITN number. The details will be mentioned in the email which the customs team send to you. It is a simple form. But since I didn’t had the time, I contacted one agent to get it done. I had to pay around 100$ to get it done. You have to provide the border crossing date when you fill in the form. If any details change, please update it before you cross the border.

7. Send the ITN number, VIN number to BUFFALOVINNYOFFICE@DHS.GOV 72 hours before crossing the border. This is very important. If it is not met, you will not be able to export the vehicle.

8. The border can be crossed only during the weekdays 8am-4pm. You have to go to Queenston Lewiston bridge on US side and look for customs office and check for Vehicle export office.

9. Give the title, ITN details, email proof etc. Please keep your legal presence proof in USA. For e.g. valid i797A document for H1B holders. They specifically asked me for my legal presence document.

10. They will put a seal in the title and will handover the title.

11. Cross the border (do not drive back to USA). Once you reach Canada side, please inform them that you are exporting the car. They will ask you to park the car near in the parking lot and carry all the documents inside the office.

12. Please visit the office, complete the landing procedures. For car export, provide them the title and copr. Fill in the FORM-1 (Auto import form for Canada). They will put a seal in Form 1 and will give it back to you. They will also give one blue color paper (invoice). Please keep these 2 documents with you. It is very important.

13. Go to RIV website, provide the number which is given in the Form 1, and make the payment. It is around 350$.

14. Once you take an apartment in Canada, you will get your lease agreement. Go to driving test office and transfer your license.

15. Take the car for Canada safety inspection and RIV inspection. Better to take appointment because of long wait period. The RIV inspection is free since you already pay directly to RIV (included in 350$). But safety inspection is something which you have to pay. In Canadian tire, it was 130$. But I was able to get it done from another shop for 60$.

16. Search for auto insurance. Get one before you register the car.

17. Once you have both the documents ready, go to Service Ontario and get the car registered. You need to give Title, Your Ontario DL, Safety clearance, Form 1, Application form, proof of insurance.

18. They will register the car and will give the new number plates.

19. Send the old number plate back to US, your state DMV. Disconnect the US insurance after this.

All official details can be found in this website.
http://www.riv.ca/ImportingAVehicle.aspx
Hi, I understand this is a very old post. But I need a help with the Ontario Safety inspection for the safety standard certificate to register the car in Ontario. Where did you get it done? Also the Canadian tire is not mentioned on the website of service Ontario as a licenced shop as per ministry of transportation of Ontario, is it still okay to get it done from a place which is not mentioned there? Please do share the details from where you got it done. And for car insurance whom did you approach? Any leads would be great. Thanks. I hope to get a response as soon. Thanks

Anyone who has experience with registering a car imported from us to Canada please help. Thanks

Last edited:

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Hi, I understand this is a very old post. But I need a help with the Ontario Safety inspection for the safety standard certificate to register the car in Ontario. Where did you get it done? Also the Canadian tire is not mentioned on the website of service Ontario as a licenced shop as per ministry of transportation of Ontario, is it still okay to get it done from a place which is not mentioned there? Please do share the details from where you got it done. And for car insurance whom did you approach? Any leads would be great. Thanks. I hope to get a response as soon. Thanks
The Ontario Safety inspection is independent from RIV inspection. That's an easy part... Dozens of local shops advertise that they are licensed to do that. The price is ~$80CAD. In my case for my Mercedes I started circling the town ( Windsor, ON) , but some shops told me I need to setup an appointment, some were busy, some said they could not do luxury car, so I went back to Mercedes dealership directly and they did it on the spot, for like an hour, just a bit more pricier - for $180CAD. That's it.

In fact I have scheduled an appointment for my second imported Mercedes (this Tuesday, June, 23d) for the next Monday to do the DLR reset/update required by Canadian Tire ( the RIV Inspection agent) along with Safety Inspection. When I was in Canadian Tire to double check of what to do, I overheard the person in front of me, asking for RIV inspection for his BMW - the same reply - just do the DLR reset and come back for inspection.

As far as auto insurance, that's the tricky one, but I went with the same company who does our home insurance - https://www.cooperators.ca/. To get the "good" rate they requested the "letter of experience", so I've requested that letter from Michigan SOS (DMV), stating my driving history and the year when I was first licensed. The older your driving record - the better the insurance rate in Ontario.

Snehathomas

Star Member
Sep 5, 2019
The Ontario Safety inspection is independent from RIV inspection. That's an easy part... Dozens of local shops advertise that they are licensed to do that. The price is ~$80CAD. In my case for my Mercedes I started circling the town ( Windsor, ON) , but some shops told me I need to setup an appointment, some were busy, some said they could not do luxury car, so I went back to Mercedes dealership directly and they did it on the spot, for like an hour, just a bit more pricier - for $180CAD. That's it.

In fact I have scheduled an appointment for my second imported Mercedes (this Tuesday, June, 23d) for the next Monday to do the DLR reset/update required by Canadian Tire ( the RIV Inspection agent) along with Safety Inspection. When I was in Canadian Tire to double check of what to do, I overheard the person in front of me, asking for RIV inspection for his BMW - the same reply - just do the DLR reset and come back for inspection.

As far as auto insurance, that's the tricky one, but I went with the same company who does our home insurance - https://www.cooperators.ca/. To get the "good" rate they requested the "letter of experience", so I've requested that letter from Michigan SOS (DMV), stating my driving history and the year when I was first licensed. The older your driving record - the better the insurance rate in Ontario.
Thank you so much for the information.

madhav_91

Star Member
Mar 18, 2019
I have recently finished my importing process and RIV sent me my Form 1. I have a BMW 330i 2017 model.
I'm worried about DLR . How can I check if I have DLR enabled and how do Candian Tire check if this is on my vehicle?
As of now, I know my lights are automatically enabled when the light levels are low .
Is doing a RIV Inspection test at Candian Tire the only way to find this out ?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
HI

I have recently finished my importing process and RIV sent me my Form 1. I have a BMW 330i 2017 model.
I'm worried about DLR . How can I check if I have DLR enabled and how do Candian Tire check if this is on my vehicle?
As of now, I know my lights are automatically enabled when the light levels are low .
Is doing a RIV Inspection test at Candian Tire the only way to find this out ?
1. Well you could start the car and drive towards a wall or dark surface and see if the lights are on.

dentist4u

Star Member
Mar 19, 2018
I am moving permanently to Canada on July 31st. I am planning to export and import my car. The car is registered in my name but I don't have the title due to cover situation its been a month and half that I have been waiting for my title from the MVA. The car has no loans. I was told I would receive it probably by wednesday but i didn't receive anything.The only document I have is the registration and the receipt from the tag and title place, the MVA refuses to give me a letter saying that my title is in process. ITN and 72 hours notice is done. Can I still drive into Canada and drive back to do the process once I receive my title?

pavan55

Apr 10, 2017
Hello,
I had recently paid of my existing car loan and received the original title. It clearly says that I am the owner but it still has my finance group name under 1st lien section and they had the signed & dated the 1st lien release section. Do you know if this will be enough for the export paperwork ?
Or do I have to get a brand new title from dmv without the previous lien holder name at all. Any inputs would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. !

rohit586v

Feb 20, 2019
Hi All,
Some questions about moving car.
1. is it ok if I do not have US insurance coverage when I move to Canada?
2. Do I need a valid canada address to transfer my license ?
3. Do I need valid address and insurance to register car in Canada?

sidroy09

Jul 26, 2013
Hey Guys,

I have a doubt regarding this topic.

Is it mandatory to mention the VIN number of the vehicle in the Things to follow (import) form which we hand over to Border security officer during first landing?

We landed back in 2018 and handed over the import items document to the officer but it does not have the car mentioned in it. I moved permanently to Canada in Jan, 2020 but my wife is still in the US and we have a car there which we want to bring here.

So what are the conditions here?

Thanks in advance,
Sid

desmat

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2018
Hey Guys,

I have a doubt regarding this topic.

Is it mandatory to mention the VIN number of the vehicle in the Things to follow (import) form which we hand over to Border security officer during first landing?

We landed back in 2018 and handed over the import items document to the officer but it does not have the car mentioned in it. I moved permanently to Canada in Jan, 2020 but my wife is still in the US and we have a car there which we want to bring here.

So what are the conditions here?

Thanks in advance,
Sid
Vin number is not mandatory but you would have atleast mentioned car make and year... Or you didn't mention anything

Tess007

Star Member
Sep 30, 2019
Hi,
Does anyone have experience moving to Canada with paper plates? I have the original title.
Can I export the car with those?
If I decide to register the car here in the US, how long can I drive in CA before I'd have to register it over there?
Are you asked to change tires immediately you come in?

Mintonten

Mar 4, 2020
My husband is a Canadian citizen, returning back to Canada from USA. He would like to ship his car from Illinois to Nova Scotia. Could anyone recommend any reliable car shipping companies?
Thanks in advance!