+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Steps to export the vehicle from USA to Canada...

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
If they say, ... If you say,.... Be serious.

The BSF186 Form clearly states : - Conveyances ( Make, Model, Serial number of vehicle, vessel, aircraft, or trailer )

But if you do not have a VIN - you do not have a VIN. Nobody knows what will happen.

RaghuR

Star Member
Feb 2, 2019
If they say, ... If you say,.... Be serious.

The BSF186 Form clearly states : - Conveyances ( Make, Model, Serial number of vehicle, vessel, aircraft, or trailer )

But if you do not have a VIN - you do not have a VIN. Nobody knows what will happen.
I am thinking I’ll give it a shot . If they don’t accept it I would return without landing and go back when I have the car. I am in Detroit so going again isn’t a problem. Do you see a problem with that i.e. returning without completing the formalities?

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
I drive from Windsor to Southfield to my office weekly, but again I am dual citizen ( considered essential worker). US citizen living in Canada, working in US.
Today was in the office, on the way back was asked to put mask on. That's it.

melanie w.

May 28, 2021
I am not a dumb person, why is this export/import import thing so hard????
1. If I do not export but CBSA allows me to import here in Canada how on earth would the US ever know to "seize" the car once it had BC plates? Once I import it, I can sell it so how could they possibly "seize" it, if I could even sell it to someone else who then goes on their merry way to cross the border and...bam, your car is seized? It just makes no sense to me.
2. I am not opposed to exporting, if I could juts figure the damn thing out. I read to use the AES system you need an EIN # which is an employee #, I am not an employee of anything. I am just a person who wants to import my old car.
3. I want to ensure I do not have to pay taxes on the car. I am a student right now but the address the car is attached to in the US and insured at is about to become unusable so should I A. do a temp import and then later try to figure out this export issue once the border is open and log it as settlement goods when we get PR? or B. perm import it now and then never be able to export it, then see #1.

I talked to CBSA when we got here on a study permit and they don't seem to care about the export and they didn't seem to care if I did a temp or permanent import or no import then and they told me either way I'd pay no taxes but it all seems very crazy making. Then there are these very hard to find references to the US "seizing" ability but they don't make it easy for you to figure out how to export the damn thing. Like who do you call and what form do you need. Where is the govt step by step?

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
You
I am not a dumb person, why is this export/import import thing so hard????
1. If I do not export but CBSA allows me to import here in Canada how on earth would the US ever know to "seize" the car once it had BC plates? Once I import it, I can sell it so how could they possibly "seize" it, if I could even sell it to someone else who then goes on their merry way to cross the border and...bam, your car is seized? It just makes no sense to me.
2. I am not opposed to exporting, if I could juts figure the damn thing out. I read to use the AES system you need an EIN # which is an employee #, I am not an employee of anything. I am just a person who wants to import my old car.
3. I want to ensure I do not have to pay taxes on the car. I am a student right now but the address the car is attached to in the US and insured at is about to become unusable so should I A. do a temp import and then later try to figure out this export issue once the border is open and log it as settlement goods when we get PR? or B. perm import it now and then never be able to export it, then see #1.

I talked to CBSA when we got here on a study permit and they don't seem to care about the export and they didn't seem to care if I did a temp or permanent import or no import then and they told me either way I'd pay no taxes but it all seems very crazy making. Then there are these very hard to find references to the US "seizing" ability but they don't make it easy for you to figure out how to export the damn thing. Like who do you call and what form do you need. Where is the govt step by step?
You just do what is more convenient to you. I exported car(s) to be able in the future to re-import to US and sell them in US or to gift to my son in US, and secondary ( just secondary) to satisfy US export regulations.
As far as knowing the vehicle history - it's a grey area. Carfax US/CA knows something, like for one of my vehicles report states that "Vehicle exported and imported to Ontario " and keep dates of Registration renewals in Ontario. For another vehicle in Carfax report I see the record "Vehicle exported from Michigan and imported to Ontario ". Not sure what report would say if there is no formal export.
As far as US Customs - they would need to pull the vehicle record and do investigation. Why to do that for "normal" Canadian crossing to US the Canadian plated/registered car? All is doable, but why?

melanie w.

May 28, 2021
You

You just do what is more convenient to you. I exported car(s) to be able in the future to re-import to US and sell them in US or to gift to my son in US, and secondary ( just secondary) to satisfy US export regulations.
As far as knowing the vehicle history - it's a grey area. Carfax US/CA knows something, like for one of my vehicles report states that "Vehicle exported and imported to Ontario " and keep dates of Registration renewals in Ontario. For another vehicle in Carfax report I see the record "Vehicle exported from Michigan and imported to Ontario ". Not sure what report would say if there is no formal export.
As far as US Customs - they would need to pull the vehicle record and do investigation. Why to do that for "normal" Canadian crossing to US the Canadian plated/registered car? All is doable, but why?
Thank you for taking the time to reply. Can you give me a link or any tips on the #2 part of my question-how do I personally export without getting some sort of broker? As I said, you seem to need a EIN # that no individual person would have to use this system. Do you have to pay someone like this to get hits done? http://www.autoexports.us/AES/Help/

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Thank you for taking the time to reply. Can you give me a link or any tips on the #2 part of my question-how do I personally export without getting some sort of broker? As I said, you seem to need a EIN # that no individual person would have to use this system. Do you have to pay someone like this to get hits done? http://www.autoexports.us/AES/Help/
Did it twice with https://simplifiedtradesolutions.com/get-an-aes-itn/vehicles-to-canada/
Fee is $35, they will send you invoice and the ITN number. All you need is ITN number for export.

You have to fill out their short form with you as a US Principal Party ( with US address) , you have to setup the date of exportation and you will be "CONSIGNEE NAME " with Canadian address. They -SIMPLIFIED TRADE SOLUTIONS will be FORWARDING AGENT .

After I got my INT number and ready to export I've sent ( in my case to detroitvehicleexport@cbp.dhs.gov ) the following notice to US Customs, like:

Export vehicle to Canada - VIN: *****************

From ****
To: detroitvehicleexport@cbp.dhs.gov Wed, Jun 17, 2020

To Whom It May Concern,

This is advance notice of intent to export the vehicle from USA to Canada on Tuesday, June 23d, 2020 .
The vehicle is Model_Year/Make/Model

VIN: *************
ITN: **************

Please see attached a copy of clean Title # ********** (front and back).
Thank you,

Name, phone

bluehorse

Dec 1, 2017
USA
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
CIO - Sydney, NS
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26-01-2021
AOR Received.
06-07-2021
Passport Req..
17-01-2022
LANDED..........
27-04-2022
Thank you for posting this in details...I was able to follow this post to get my car tranferred from USA to CANADA without much hassles.
I couple of updates though...Point#14 : If you are exchanging your USA drivers license with a canadian one, they dont ask for an address proof, but they will surely ask for the USA driver's license and an Abstract from the motor vehicle. If you are from New Jersey, the process is a little more complex given that the abstract applied for online with DMV is not acceptable here in Ontario, I had to mail in a form called DO21 to the DMV and then get a details abstract which was still confusing but still worked after i provided them not only the current DL but also the ones from past (punched/expired ones). Good Luck.
I will make a note of this ... I'm from NJ as well!

bluehorse

Dec 1, 2017
USA
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
CIO - Sydney, NS
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26-01-2021
AOR Received.
06-07-2021
Passport Req..
17-01-2022
LANDED..........
27-04-2022
Just did it. Nothing asked.. they just took US driver license and gave me Ontario d l
Was yours a NJ drivers license ? If yes, did you fill DO21 form ?

dilips24

Aug 11, 2021
I am a Canadian citizen and moved back to Canada on July 6, 2021 after working in US for 5 years .

I drove with my US plated/Insured car. I couldn’t export/import the Car because I was not having original car title . I had to apply for Title correction after I paid off loan from Toyota and I couldn’t receive the corrected title on time. I did mentioned VIN in Goods to Follow list.

Now I have the corrected title and want to properly export the Car from USA and import in Canada.

But I will not be able to drive to USA to export the car due to travel restriction on non-essential travels.

Is there any opportunity to send ITN and VIN details and request CBP to confirm export without driving the car to USA ?
or I have to wait till border gets open form non-essential travels ?
Can i continue to drive the car in Canada and Is there any timeline before i must import the car?

Please advise .

gprawtap

Feb 3, 2021
You

Did it twice with https://simplifiedtradesolutions.com/get-an-aes-itn/vehicles-to-canada/
Fee is $35, they will send you invoice and the ITN number. All you need is ITN number for export.

You have to fill out their short form with you as a US Principal Party ( with US address) , you have to setup the date of exportation and you will be "CONSIGNEE NAME " with Canadian address. They -SIMPLIFIED TRADE SOLUTIONS will be FORWARDING AGENT .

After I got my INT number and ready to export I've sent ( in my case to detroitvehicleexport@cbp.dhs.gov ) the following notice to US Customs, like:

Export vehicle to Canada - VIN: *****************

From ****
To: detroitvehicleexport@cbp.dhs.gov Wed, Jun 17, 2020

To Whom It May Concern,

This is advance notice of intent to export the vehicle from USA to Canada on Tuesday, June 23d, 2020 .
The vehicle is Model_Year/Make/Model

VIN: *************
ITN: **************

Please see attached a copy of clean Title # ********** (front and back).
Thank you,

Name, phone

Hi,
Some good information here. Can someone help me with my question?

We've a valid CoPR and VISA, and will be driving to Vancouver in our own car (with the title and registration) to start the PR process. We are not sure if we'll be staying for less than a month or more than that, as I may have to travel back to US for work related reasons.
So is it just easier to export the car from the US and import in Canada?
Can I do a trip to the US within a month after the export; and drive back to Canada? Or would the US customs require me to have additional paperwork?

Thanks,

ravi1441

Mar 23, 2020
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
20-03-2020
This thread is exactly what I was looking for. Silly question though. I'll driving the 15' Uhaul and my car will be tied up on the trailer. I guess that shouldn't change anything ?

Also, hypothetically speaking. What if I do a "soft" landing in March by driving my car. During that time I import the car into Canada. Can I then after - let's say 7-10 days drive the car back to US and get it back again to Canada in July when I move with my stuff?
Hi, I am planning to do exactly the same, can you guide me what you did.? I rented a 15' Uhaul and will be towing my car using that, did it change anything.?