+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Steps to export the vehicle from USA to Canada...

KanadianGuy

Star Member
Aug 10, 2017
I was successfully export the vehicle from USA and import it in Canada. I have to give a heads up that it is a tedious task, but achievable. I am giving steps in details. Please make a note that I am providing the steps for crossing over the NewYork to Ontario. Other borders in the middle and west, there may be a slight change in the process. But 90% will remain the same.

Please read through each step. Each steps are very important. Do not miss anything. This is not an official version. I am just trying to help out people. Please do go through the official documentations which I have mentioned below.

1. The vehicle should not have any vehicle loan(lien). Basically you need to have the title in hand. If you have the loan, then you need to have the letter from the bank/institution that you are allowed to export the car and cross the border.

2. The vehicle should not have any open Recalls. All the recalls should be cleared before we export. Email your vehicle manufacturer to provide a letter stating that this car is cleared from all recalls and this car is compliant with Canadian safety and compliance standards. In case you have any open recalls, go to manufacturer, get it fixed. Then wait for one day. Contact the manufacturer again to get the recall clearance letter.

3. Once the manufacturer sends this letter, email them to RIV recall@support.riv.ca. They will confirm in a day or 2 that they have accepted the same and the car is cleared for import.

4. You can get the importers checklist by navigating to this website and provide the details of your car. riv.ca/ImporterChecklist.aspx

5. Email the border customs office on both USA and Canada sides to get the information. It is very important to do it because they will let you know in case anything has changed.

Not every bridge allows exporting the vehicle. In NewYork state, only Queenston-Lewiston bridge allows exporting the vehicle.

6. You need to register in AES direct website and get the ITN number. The details will be mentioned in the email which the customs team send to you. It is a simple form. But since I didn’t had the time, I contacted one agent to get it done. I had to pay around 100$ to get it done. You have to provide the border crossing date when you fill in the form. If any details change, please update it before you cross the border.

7. Send the ITN number, VIN number to BUFFALOVINNYOFFICE@DHS.GOV 72 hours before crossing the border. This is very important. If it is not met, you will not be able to export the vehicle.

8. The border can be crossed only during the weekdays 8am-4pm. You have to go to Queenston Lewiston bridge on US side and look for customs office and check for Vehicle export office.

9. Give the title, ITN details, email proof etc. Please keep your legal presence proof in USA. For e.g. valid i797A document for H1B holders. They specifically asked me for my legal presence document.

10. They will put a seal in the title and will handover the title.

11. Cross the border (do not drive back to USA). Once you reach Canada side, please inform them that you are exporting the car. They will ask you to park the car near in the parking lot and carry all the documents inside the office.

12. Please visit the office, complete the landing procedures. For car export, provide them the title and copr. Fill in the FORM-1 (Auto import form for Canada). They will put a seal in Form 1 and will give it back to you. They will also give one blue color paper (invoice). Please keep these 2 documents with you. It is very important.

13. Go to RIV website, provide the number which is given in the Form 1, and make the payment. It is around 350$.

14. Once you take an apartment in Canada, you will get your lease agreement. Go to driving test office and transfer your license.

15. Take the car for Canada safety inspection and RIV inspection. Better to take appointment because of long wait period. The RIV inspection is free since you already pay directly to RIV (included in 350$). But safety inspection is something which you have to pay. In Canadian tire, it was 130$. But I was able to get it done from another shop for 60$.

16. Search for auto insurance. Get one before you register the car.

17. Once you have both the documents ready, go to Service Ontario and get the car registered. You need to give Title, Your Ontario DL, Safety clearance, Form 1, Application form, proof of insurance.

18. They will register the car and will give the new number plates.

19. Send the old number plate back to US, your state DMV. Disconnect the US insurance after this.

All official details can be found in this website.
http://www.riv.ca/ImportingAVehicle.aspx
Thank you for posting this in details...I was able to follow this post to get my car tranferred from USA to CANADA without much hassles.
I couple of updates though...Point#14 : If you are exchanging your USA drivers license with a canadian one, they dont ask for an address proof, but they will surely ask for the USA driver's license and an Abstract from the motor vehicle. If you are from New Jersey, the process is a little more complex given that the abstract applied for online with DMV is not acceptable here in Ontario, I had to mail in a form called DO21 to the DMV and then get a details abstract which was still confusing but still worked after i provided them not only the current DL but also the ones from past (punched/expired ones). Good Luck.

Reactions: bluehorse

ca_hopeful

Star Member
Apr 13, 2017
Asked this another thread but posting again

Hi,
We had our soft landing in 2018 and we plan on moving permanently next week. I was looking at our "Casual Goods Accounting Document" that was provided when we made our soft landing and the importers name in the document is my wife's name who was the primary applicant. We plan on importing our car and transporting our goods through U Pack - my car is in my name and U Pack is also in my name (car was declared in the goods to follow document)

My name is not mentioned anywhere in the document. Will that be an issue at the border when we take our car and our goods all in my name?

Thanks in advance!

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Asked this another thread but posting again

Hi,
We had our soft landing in 2018 and we plan on moving permanently next week. I was looking at our "Casual Goods Accounting Document" that was provided when we made our soft landing and the importers name in the document is my wife's name who was the primary applicant. We plan on importing our car and transporting our goods through U Pack - my car is in my name and U Pack is also in my name (car was declared in the goods to follow document)

My name is not mentioned anywhere in the document. Will that be an issue at the border when we take our car and our goods all in my name?

Thanks in advance!
I am confused who's name on goods to follow document, but for sure car's Title could be transfered for free between family members if needed.

ca_hopeful

Star Member
Apr 13, 2017
I am confused who's name on goods to follow document, but for sure car's Title could be transferred for free between family members if needed.
The Goods to follow document has my Wife's name on it (she was the primary applicant when we applied for express entry).

The car is in my name (husband's name - dependent when we did soft landing). However, the car was declared in the Goods to follow document. Just that it looks like the "importers name" on Casual Goods Accounting document that CBSA provided will not have dependents name. Not sure if that will be a problem when we move next week.

Transferring title could take time and we have already made our travel plans for next week. So that is not an option.

Last edited:

santab

Sep 15, 2018
The Goods to follow document has my Wife's name on it (she was the primary applicant when we applied for express entry).

The car is in my name (husband's name - dependent when we did soft landing). However, the car was declared in the Goods to follow document. Just that it looks like the "importers name" on Casual Goods Accounting document that CBSA provided will not have dependents name. Not sure if that will be a problem when we move next week.

Transferring title could take time and we have already made our travel plans for next week. So that is not an option.
I was in same situation. I did soft landing in Jan 2020 and moved in Sept 2020. I drove to Canada and did not ship it through a shipper. However household stuff was shipped by a shipper from USA.
Car was in my name, my wife was primary applicant.
As far as I understand, the goods to follow list is for the entire family. It only lists the items you intend to bring, it does not mention anywhere whether you own it or your spouse. I faced absolutely no issues while exporting the car from US and importing it into Canada. As long as the car is listed on goods to follow and you have all the documentation, you should not face any issues.

Reactions: Alex54321

Jac2011

Aug 19, 2020
I was successfully export the vehicle from USA and import it in Canada. I have to give a heads up that it is a tedious task, but achievable. I am giving steps in details. Please make a note that I am providing the steps for crossing over the NewYork to Ontario. Other borders in the middle and west, there may be a slight change in the process. But 90% will remain the same.

Please read through each step. Each steps are very important. Do not miss anything. This is not an official version. I am just trying to help out people. Please do go through the official documentations which I have mentioned below.

1. The vehicle should not have any vehicle loan(lien). Basically you need to have the title in hand. If you have the loan, then you need to have the letter from the bank/institution that you are allowed to export the car and cross the border.

2. The vehicle should not have any open Recalls. All the recalls should be cleared before we export. Email your vehicle manufacturer to provide a letter stating that this car is cleared from all recalls and this car is compliant with Canadian safety and compliance standards. In case you have any open recalls, go to manufacturer, get it fixed. Then wait for one day. Contact the manufacturer again to get the recall clearance letter.

3. Once the manufacturer sends this letter, email them to RIV recall@support.riv.ca. They will confirm in a day or 2 that they have accepted the same and the car is cleared for import.

4. You can get the importers checklist by navigating to this website and provide the details of your car. riv.ca/ImporterChecklist.aspx

5. Email the border customs office on both USA and Canada sides to get the information. It is very important to do it because they will let you know in case anything has changed.

Not every bridge allows exporting the vehicle. In NewYork state, only Queenston-Lewiston bridge allows exporting the vehicle.

6. You need to register in AES direct website and get the ITN number. The details will be mentioned in the email which the customs team send to you. It is a simple form. But since I didn’t had the time, I contacted one agent to get it done. I had to pay around 100$ to get it done. You have to provide the border crossing date when you fill in the form. If any details change, please update it before you cross the border.

7. Send the ITN number, VIN number to BUFFALOVINNYOFFICE@DHS.GOV 72 hours before crossing the border. This is very important. If it is not met, you will not be able to export the vehicle.

8. The border can be crossed only during the weekdays 8am-4pm. You have to go to Queenston Lewiston bridge on US side and look for customs office and check for Vehicle export office.

9. Give the title, ITN details, email proof etc. Please keep your legal presence proof in USA. For e.g. valid i797A document for H1B holders. They specifically asked me for my legal presence document.

11. Cross the border (do not drive back to USA). Once you reach Canada side, please inform them that you are exporting the car. They will ask you to park the car near in the parking lot and carry all the documents inside the office.

12. Please visit the office, complete the landing procedures. For car export, provide them the title and copr. Fill in the FORM-1 (Auto import form for Canada). They will put a seal in Form 1 and will give it back to you. They will also give one blue color paper (invoice). Please keep these 2 documents with you. It is very important.

13. Go to RIV website, provide the number which is given in the Form 1, and make the payment. It is around 350$.

14. Once you take an apartment in Canada, you will get your lease agreement. Go to driving test office and transfer your license.

15. Take the car for Canada safety inspection and RIV inspection. Better to take appointment because of long wait period. The RIV inspection is free since you already pay directly to RIV (included in 350$). But safety inspection is something which you have to pay. In Canadian tire, it was 130$. But I was able to get it done from another shop for 60$.

17. Once you have both the documents ready, go to Service Ontario and get the car registered. You need to give Title, Your Ontario DL, Safety clearance, Form 1, Application form, proof of insurance.

19. Send the old number plate back to US, your state DMV. Disconnect the US insurance after this.

Jac2011

Aug 19, 2020
Hello - thanks for your detail post, can you please help with STEP #6 agent information to get ITN and STEP# 15 for safety inspection shop information.

thanks!!

santab

Sep 15, 2018
Hello - thanks for your detail post, can you please help with STEP #6 agent information to get ITN and STEP# 15 for safety inspection shop information.

thanks!!
Hi, I followed instructions in this video.
It worked for me. I was very confused when I started searching initially on how to export. This video helped me a lot. It is very detailed. Hopefully it will help you as well.

Broadly the sequence is:
1. get ITIN
2. inform the US CBP border post with details of your ITIN/date of crossing etc.
3. Drive to the US-Canada border. Before entering into Canada, on US side of the border, complete export formality
4. Enter into Canada. Canadian customer officer will give you a form 1 (or something like that) on Canadian side. This is where the Canadian officer will validate whether you had this car in your goods to follow or not
5. Submit details on RIV website and create your RIV case. Pay RIV fees
6. You will receive instructions to go for RIV inspection. Go to Canadian Tire to complete RIV inspection. You don't pay for this at Canadian tire, the cost is already included in your RIV fees
7. Also complete safety inspection at Canadian tire - you have to pay extract (150 CAD approx). This step is for Ontario, I am not sure about other provinces
8. Make changes to your car (if requested after RIV inspection or safety inspection)
9. You will receive a Canadian vehicle inspection sticker from RIV. Stick on your vehicle
10. Get local Canadian auto insurance (change your US DL to Canadian DL preferably before this)
11. Go to Service Ontario, submit your documents to get Ontario plates (Canadian insurance is a must to get Ontario plates)

Jac2011

Aug 19, 2020
Thanks you so much!!!

Hi, I followed instructions in this video.
It worked for me. I was very confused when I started searching initially on how to export. This video helped me a lot. It is very detailed. Hopefully it will help you as well.

Broadly the sequence is:
1. get ITIN
2. inform the US CBP border post with details of your ITIN/date of crossing etc.
3. Drive to the US-Canada border. Before entering into Canada, on US side of the border, complete export formality
4. Enter into Canada. Canadian customer officer will give you a form 1 (or something like that) on Canadian side. This is where the Canadian officer will validate whether you had this car in your goods to follow or not
5. Submit details on RIV website and create your RIV case. Pay RIV fees
6. You will receive instructions to go for RIV inspection. Go to Canadian Tire to complete RIV inspection. You don't pay for this at Canadian tire, the cost is already included in your RIV fees
7. Also complete safety inspection at Canadian tire - you have to pay extract (150 CAD approx). This step is for Ontario, I am not sure about other provinces
8. Make changes to your car (if requested after RIV inspection or safety inspection)
9. You will receive a Canadian vehicle inspection sticker from RIV. Stick on your vehicle
10. Get local Canadian auto insurance (change your US DL to Canadian DL preferably before this)
11. Go to Service Ontario, submit your documents to get Ontario plates (Canadian insurance is a must to get Ontario plates)

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017

thanks!!
I was using 2 times the https://simplifiedtradesolutions.com/ website ( that's where I ordered my ITN number for $35). They are just asking your nationality, passport number, address where vehicle begins its journey to Canada , Address of destination in Canada and vehicle information.

santab

Sep 15, 2018

thanks!!
simplified trade solutions. I think I paid some 35USD. It took a few hours to get the ITIN. It was fairly simple process.
As I said, I just followed whatever was mentioned in that video as I found it very simple to follow.
Bless the lady who made that video!

Jac2011

Aug 19, 2020
simplified trade solutions. I think I paid some 35USD. It took a few hours to get the ITIN. It was fairly simple process.
As I said, I just followed whatever was mentioned in that video as I found it very simple to follow.
Bless the lady who made that video!

Thanks you!!

desmat

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2018

Thanks for detailed info..

Please tell the shop names when you say get safety inspection in $60only other than Canadian tire?

Thanks in advance

RaghuR

Star Member
Feb 2, 2019
Vin number is not mandatory but you would have atleast mentioned car make and year... Or you didn't mention anything
Hi, do they accept GTF without VIN? I plan to do buy a new car but that might not happen before I do soft landing. Thus during soft landing I don't have a VIN.
1. Can I use the registration number instead that I have from my old car that I sold recently?
2. If it has to be VIN, I won't be able to import it duty free 4 months later when I plan to move permanently, am i right?

desmat

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2018
Hi, do they accept GTF without VIN? I plan to do buy a new car but that might not happen before I do soft landing. Thus during soft landing I don't have a VIN.
1. Can I use the registration number instead that I have from my old car that I sold recently?
2. If it has to be VIN, I won't be able to import it duty free 4 months later when I plan to move permanently, am i right?
Yeah I don't remember having VIN number on my GTF form..
Only Make, Model and year are there.. For this I think if you are traveling in a rental car for soft landing then this can work, as you would not have your actual car and you will not remember your vin when you do soft landing even if they ask... If they say you need vin no by any chance then tell them you didn't know that you had to list the car in the GTF list now during soft landing and you thought all things have to be declared during permanent landing..