+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

sheen

Aug 19, 2010
Leon said:
If you apply inland, you can apply for an open work permit at the same time. Having applied puts you under implied status. That means you have applied before your status expired and are therefore protected and should not leave. Usually the open work permit these days takes about 4 months to get.

However, be careful that it is a requirement of inland that you reside in Canada. if you leave and for some reason can't make it back, immigration doesn't let you back in or whatever, you would lose your application. If you apply inland, you should preferably be committed to staying for as long as it takes to process which is right now around 2 years.
Hey Leon, even though CHACHA91 has valid tourist visa for Canada are they still eligible to apply outland or inland is the only option for them? I mean can they come to canada on their visitors visa and their spouse sponsor them as outland?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
sheen said:
Hey Leon, even though CHACHA91 has valid tourist visa for Canada are they still eligible to apply outland or inland is the only option for them? I mean can they come to canada on their visitors visa and their spouse sponsor them as outland?

They can apply outland.

singh84a

Star Member
Dec 10, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO shifted to CVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi there,

This is a 1000+ page thread, can someone explain me the process of sponsoring a spouse. I need this information for my brother. he is a PR and is about to marry soon. The would be spouse is from New Delhi and does not have any Canadian Visa yet. I've read about inland and outland, what ar ethese, also, someone mentooned that the spouse cannot apply for open work permit from outside of Canada in order to get to Canada first and apply inland.

Can someone please give me a short summary of what options are and what the process looks like.

Thanks

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
singh84a said:
Hi there,

This is a 1000+ page thread, can someone explain me the process of sponsoring a spouse. I need this information for my brother. he is a PR and is about to marry soon. The would be spouse is from New Delhi and does not have any Canadian Visa yet. I've read about inland and outland, what ar ethese, also, someone mentooned that the spouse cannot apply for open work permit from outside of Canada in order to get to Canada first and apply inland.

Can someone please give me a short summary of what options are and what the process looks like.

Thanks
read the very first post on this thread posted by leon. it gives a breakdown of the process. the processing times are a bit out of date. information about the process itself is still valid.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
CDNPR2014 said:
read the very first post on this thread posted by leon. it gives a breakdown of the process. the processing times are a bit out of date. information about the process itself is still valid.
Agreed. The first post has a lot of good information.

If your brother wants to be hand-held through the process, he should hire an immigration consultant or lawyer to help him.

If he doesn't want to pay for help, he'll need to spend time reading and educating himself on the process.

cariie up

Star Member
Sep 28, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 18,2016
AOR Received.
June 10,2016
Med's Request
upfront
Sous02 said:
This is a tough situation. Not sure how you could get a divorce without the custody issue being addressed and this may be CIC's question as well. Their concern is that the father may have rights to custody especially visitation. The declaration should have been enough. Have you written a letter explaining the circumstances?
thanks for your reply. We did not have any issue as regards to custody, so there was no court involved when it comes to child custody. We mutually agreed that while I am away, I support the children, and if the children want to come live with me in Canada, he has no problem with it. That's why he signed the declaration for non-accompanying parent. Despite of our mutual agreement ,Do I still need to go to the court and get custody be awarded to me? This is where I am a little bit confused, there was no dispute or whatsoever that's why we did not go through court proceedings. It is in the best interest of the children, and to us as parents as we did not have to spend a fortune just to get custody agreement done.

cariie up

Star Member
Sep 28, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 18,2016
AOR Received.
June 10,2016
Med's Request
upfront
Sous02 said:
This is a tough situation. Not sure how you could get a divorce without the custody issue being addressed and this may be CIC's question as well. Their concern is that the father may have rights to custody especially visitation. The declaration should have been enough. Have you written a letter explaining the circumstances?
I have no letter made up explaining why I have no custody documents. If I am going to make one , would they consider it? or they still require me to go to the court ?Thank you for taking the time to response, i really appreciate it...

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
cariie up said:
thanks for your reply. We did not have any issue as regards to custody, so there was no court involved when it comes to child custody. We mutually agreed that while I am away, I support the children, and if the children want to come live with me in Canada, he has no problem with it. That's why he signed the declaration for non-accompanying parent. Despite of our mutual agreement ,Do I still need to go to the court and get custody be awarded to me? This is where I am a little bit confused, there was no dispute or whatsoever that's why we did not go through court proceedings. It is in the best interest of the children, and to us as parents as we did not have to spend a fortune just to get custody agreement done.
Reply to CIC explaining that you included the IMM5604 giving you legal permission to bring the children. Ask if they have lost it and require another.

Sous02

Jul 25, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-04-16
Doc's Request.
22-08-2016
AOR Received.
06-05-16
File Transfer...
28-05-16
Med's Done....
Up front/passed
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
10-10-2016
VISA ISSUED...
17-10-2016
LANDED..........
02-11-2016
cariie up said:
I have no letter made up explaining why I have no custody documents. If I am going to make one , would they consider it? or they still require me to go to the court ?Thank you for taking the time to response, i really appreciate it...
As another person suggested include your declaration and write a letter explaining your circumstances. Clearly make note of the declaration signed by your ex. I would not talk about why your divorce settlement does not deal with custody as that may open a can of worms. That is me trying to understand what may be the issue from the VO's point of view. Given that they asked for information that you already included I am inclined to believe they have misplaced the original documents.

Jameee

Star Member
Nov 21, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-12-2016
AOR Received.
10-12-2016
File Transfer...
16-12-2016
Dear members,

This question would have already addressed previously, haven't browsed through previous pages, my apologies.

For my fiancee, I am trying to get FBI clearance certificate. For this, i need to fill and print
1. App form 2. Credit Card Form 3. Checklist and 4. Finger print for FD-258.

1. I understand to get finger print, i can visit police service in count. Is it true?
2. Where I can get FD-258 card for fingerprint done. Do i need to download and take a normal A4-print of same or do i need get hard copy card of FD-258?
Please suggest.

Thank you so much.

vkay

Aug 2, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
HI Guys,
New to this thread, I am a Canadian PR but still outside Canada. I am exploring ways to bring along my spouse to Canada.
Had applied for study permit and got rejected, Looks like current timeline for spouse sponsorship for Pakistan is around 26 months which is way too long.... Could anyone guide me on what other options are available, to be used as temporary measure untill PR processing ? Thanks!
looking forward for positive responses...

Tolexmi

Jun 26, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-Sept-2015
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
23-Oct-2015
File Transfer...
09-Nov-2015
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
23-May-2016
VISA ISSUED...
3-June-2016
LANDED..........
14th July 2016.
vkay said:
HI Guys,
New to this thread, I am a Canadian PR but still outside Canada. I am exploring ways to bring along my spouse to Canada.
Had applied for study permit and got rejected, Looks like current timeline for spouse sponsorship for Pakistan is around 26 months which is way too long.... Could anyone guide me on what other options are available, to be used as temporary measure untill PR processing ? Thanks!
U can move back to canada and your spouse can come visit, while u submit your application. just an idea!!!

Truth is: its better to start the application process asap while you are there, and then you can start looking for ways to move back with your spouse while waiting for the approval.

cariie up

Star Member
Sep 28, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 18,2016
AOR Received.
June 10,2016
Med's Request
upfront
canuck_in_uk said:
Reply to CIC explaining that you included the IMM5604 giving you legal permission to bring the children. Ask if they have lost it and require another.
thanks again, I will do what u suggested and hopefully they will consider it...

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Tolexmi said:
Truth is: its better to start the application process asap while you are there, and then you can start looking for ways to move back with your spouse while waiting for the approval.
Bad advice and not possible. PRs cannot sponsor spouses from outside of Canada - they must be living in Canada. So it's impossible to start the process from outside of Canada.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
vkay said:
HI Guys,
You basically have three options: visitor visa, study permit and work permit. If the study permit has already been refused - the visitor visa likely will be as well (however you can certainly try). To qualify to apply for a work permit, your spouse would first need to secure a full time job offer from an employer in Canada and that employer would need to obtain an approved LMIA. If none of these are possible, you will have to move to Canada ahead of your spouse to submit the sponsorship application and remain in Canada while the application is processed. Your spouse will then be able to come to Canada once the application is approved. Good luck.