March 21, 2015
Interview........
IP: Oct. 9, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Nov. 14, 2015
LANDED..........
Nov. 28, 2015
Hello, all!

Thanks for such an informative thread. With more than 1,000 pages to look through, I hope you'll forgive me if I'm duplicating any already-answered questions.

My partner is Canadian, and I'm an American. We'll be getting married next month, and are prepping all the paperwork for the Spousal Visa.

We have a few questions that we're still confused about, and I'd be indebted to anyone who's done this or knows the answers.

1) Can I be in Canada (on a visiting visa) when we first file for my partner's sponsorship, or do I have to be in my home country?

2) Can I be in Canada when I submit my Outland Spousal Visa Application?

3) Will I be able to remain in Canada (with a visitor visa) while my Outland Spousal Visa Application is being processed?

If I understand it correctly, I can remain in Canada while the Spousal Visa is being processed, but I'm ineligible to work until it's approved. I also understand it that I can seek to have my visitor time extended another 6 months if the visa still isn't finished.

Thank you all for your help!

tink23

Champion Member
Apr 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Santo Domingo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 23, 2012
File Transfer...
Oct 9, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Nov 26, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 4, 2012
Tj777 said:
@ tink123 thank you so much for the reply. But i just arrived here in Canada 4 months ago as a Permanent Resident and only just started my part time job.Am i still eligible to sponsor them?!Hope you can help me or give an advice.
I believe you have to meet the LICO financial requirements for three years before being able to sponsor. I'm not sure if your spouse having the three years is sufficient, but I'd imagine that you as the sponsor will have to be here for three years before being able to sponsor them.

Someone with more experience in sponsoring parents can probably chime in to give you more accurate and detailed info. You might want to create a new thread for the question since this is a thread for spousal sponsorship.

tink23

Champion Member
Apr 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Santo Domingo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 23, 2012
File Transfer...
Oct 9, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Nov 26, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 4, 2012
Ineffable said:
Hello, all!

Thanks for such an informative thread. With more than 1,000 pages to look through, I hope you'll forgive me if I'm duplicating any already-answered questions.

My partner is Canadian, and I'm an American. We'll be getting married next month, and are prepping all the paperwork for the Spousal Visa.

We have a few questions that we're still confused about, and I'd be indebted to anyone who's done this or knows the answers.

1) Can I be in Canada (on a visiting visa) when we first file for my partner's sponsorship, or do I have to be in my home country?

3) Will I be able to remain in Canada (with a visitor visa) while my Outland Spousal Visa Application is being processed?

If I understand it correctly, I can remain in Canada while the Spousal Visa is being processed, but I'm ineligible to work until it's approved. I also understand it that I can seek to have my visitor time extended another 6 months if the visa still isn't finished.

1. Yes, you can be in Canada

2. Yes, it is fine to be in Canada when submitting he application. List your address as brig in Canada.

3. Yes, u can remain in Canada as a visitor. Like you stated, you will just have to put in a request for a visitor extension. Usually it is recommended to put in the application for the extension 1 month before your current status expires.

Ineffable

Jan 12, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 5, 2015
Doc's Request.
October 23, 2015
AOR Received.
June 3, 2015
File Transfer...
July 7, 2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
March 21, 2015
Interview........
VISA ISSUED...
Nov. 14, 2015
LANDED..........
Nov. 28, 2015
tink23 said:
1. Yes, you can be in Canada

2. Yes, it is fine to be in Canada when submitting he application. List your address as brig in Canada.

3. Yes, u can remain in Canada as a visitor. Like you stated, you will just have to put in a request for a visitor extension. Usually it is recommended to put in the application for the extension 1 month before your current status expires.
I could hug you right now. Thank you, tink23!!

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ineffable said:
Hello, all!

Already answered by tink23, but just wanted to make sure that you also understand that EVERYTHING (Sponsor's forms, Applicant's forms, all related documents, evidence of relationship, receipt for fees, etc.) are sent together in one large package.

The FBI Identity History (police check) is taking 14-16 weeks to receive (according to the FBI website), so you should order that ASAP!

Ineffable

Jan 12, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 5, 2015
Doc's Request.
October 23, 2015
AOR Received.
June 3, 2015
File Transfer...
July 7, 2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
March 21, 2015
Interview........
VISA ISSUED...
Nov. 14, 2015
LANDED..........
Nov. 28, 2015
Ponga said:
Already answered by tink23, but just wanted to make sure that you also understand that EVERYTHING (Sponsor's forms, Applicant's forms, all related documents, evidence of relationship, receipt for fees, etc.) are sent together in one large package.

The FBI Identity History (police check) is taking 14-16 weeks to receive (according to the FBI website), so you should order that ASAP!
I'm assuming that filling for a background check prior to the wedding is okay then. I'll definitely do that.

Thanks a ton, Ponga! I had no idea about submitting it all together.

Ineffable

Jan 12, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 5, 2015
Doc's Request.
October 23, 2015
AOR Received.
June 3, 2015
File Transfer...
July 7, 2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
March 21, 2015
Interview........
VISA ISSUED...
Nov. 14, 2015
LANDED..........
Nov. 28, 2015
Ineffable said:
I'm assuming that filling for a background check prior to the wedding is okay then. I'll definitely do that.

Thanks a ton, Ponga! I had no idea about submitting it all together.
Sorry, I have follow up question about that. Do I have the FBI check sent to my house, or to the Visa office?

I actually lived and worked in Japan for a year, so I have to go to a Japanese Consulate in order to request a police certificate in addition to a USA FBI check. Oh joy!

vermas

Champion Member
Jan 12, 2010
NOC Code......
NA
App. Filed.......
eAPR/AOR 13-08-2018
IMMIGRATION PHOTOS AS PER COUNTRY SPECIFIC GUIDELINES - Do we need to write applicant's name, DOB and date of picture taken on the back of the photos?

xxxma3dl

Star Member
Jan 2, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 2014
Doc's Request.
July 2014
Med's Request
20 Jan 2016
Med's Done....
29 Jan 2016
Interview........
10 Mar 2016
vermas said:
IMMIGRATION PHOTOS AS PER COUNTRY SPECIFIC GUIDELINES - Do we need to write applicant's name, DOB and date of picture taken on the back of the photos?
as I remember, no need to write anything at the back of the photos

valmiri

Star Member
Nov 23, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25/11/2014
AOR Received.
18/02/2015
File Transfer...
SA 26/02/2015 File trsfd on 08/04/2015
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
08/06/2015
VISA ISSUED...
12/06/2015
LANDED..........
Soon
xxxma3dl said:
as I remember, no need to write anything at the back of the photos
I recommend that you do ..I did the same I was advised..It doesen't take you anything if you do..

brucem

Apr 21, 2014
Edinburgh
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-07-2014
Doc's Request.
23-01-2015
AOR Received.
22-08-2014
File Transfer...
22-08-2014
Med's Done....
26-06-2014
VISA ISSUED...
08-05-2015
LANDED..........
08-07-2015
Ineffable said:
Sorry, I have follow up question about that. Do I have the FBI check sent to my house, or to the Visa office?

I actually lived and worked in Japan for a year, so I have to go to a Japanese Consulate in order to request a police certificate in addition to a USA FBI check. Oh joy!
I would get it sent to your house. Until you get sponsorship approval you will not have a file number no they would not be able to match it up with your application. I see quite a few people have been saying that SA has been taking longer than the posted time on the website.

And unfortunately yes you would need a police check from Japan!

vermas

Champion Member
Jan 12, 2010
NOC Code......
NA
App. Filed.......
eAPR/AOR 13-08-2018
valmiri said:
I recommend that you do ..I did the same I was advised..It doesen't take you anything if you do..
The guide doesn't sat that, but I will do it. I remember reading recommendation on the forum to do it.

jamsham12

Jan 6, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01/19/2015
AOR Received.
03/16/2015
File Transfer...
04/21/2015
Passport Req..
In Process: 08/06/2015 DM: 10/31/2015
VISA ISSUED...
11/16/2015
LANDED..........
12/30/2015
vermas said:
The guide doesn't sat that, but I will do it. I remember reading recommendation on the forum to do it.
I had the photo shop stamp their name and address and the date the pics where taken, its stated on the guide.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mcmaster said:
WOW! I didn't know that I can sponsor a family class if I live outside Canada!
I love this country ^_^
As long as you are a Canadian citizen. If you only have Canadian PR, you must be in Canada.