Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
americanadians said:
Slight panicking here.

My husband and I have just started going through the applications and filling it out. We believe we are going to apply for the inland option because he has been here for a year and a half on a visitors visa. We have been married for almost two years. The reason we didn't apply earlier was first because of financial reasons, then because we thought we were moving to the states but didn't. Now we finally have the resources and we're staying in Canada and we are ready to apply. Unfortunately his current visitor visa runs up on June 14th. We are still just beginning to fill out the paperwork as now we have realized that supposedly it takes 16-18 weeks for FBI background checks (which I'm still not sure has to be sent with the initial application). We are kind of freaking out. We're definitely not going to have the application submitted before June 14th if the FBI check takes that long. We were hoping it would be submitted in the next month or so, so that it would be more likely for them to give us another extension on his visitor visa (we've already received two, one for 6 months and the last one was for a year). Do you think it's likely they'll give is another extension? This just seems so impossible to do without a lawyer! And we don't really have the extra cash to spare for a lawyer. Help! Has anyone done their application without a lawyer's help and been successful? And what if for some reason they don't believe in our relationship (I don't know why they wouldn't, but I'm still worried because you never know) and refuse our inland application? Then he can never apply again right?

Aaghhh! someone just reassure me that we can do this. I don't want my husband to have to leave. And this application is so terrifying and confusing. :(

Edit: I forgot to mention my husband is from the United States. I am a Canadian citizen.
I'm on my third visitor's record. As long as you follow the rules and file out the proper extension paperwork in time, they will most likely let him stay. You can even include copies of your PR receipt or medical forms (or at least offer to show them to CIC if you file online). That's pretty much what I did the last time.

I'm with everyone else on the FBI clearance. 5 weeks mailed from Canada and back to Canada using regular mail.

americanadians

Star Member
Feb 25, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15/05/2013
AOR Received.
22/05/2013
Med's Request
28/01/2014
Med's Done....
14/03/2014
LANDED..........
06/11/2014
IslandAnnie said:
There are a few people here on the forums that disclose they are using lawyers, but the vast majority are doing it themselves....with lots of assistance from all the folks here! And we did more than one FBI check (most recent Oct/Nov 12) and they only took about 4-5 weeks.

Good luck with your application.
It's good to know! I will probably be posting here CONSTANTLY in the next little while because I have about a billion questions! Thank you for your help!! Oh is it mandatory that there is more than one FBI check? I've read a couple people said they did more than one.

americanadians

Star Member
Feb 25, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15/05/2013
AOR Received.
22/05/2013
Med's Request
28/01/2014
Med's Done....
14/03/2014
LANDED..........
06/11/2014
amikety said:
I'm on my third visitor's record. As long as you follow the rules and file out the proper extension paperwork in time, they will most likely let him stay. You can even include copies of your PR receipt or medical forms (or at least offer to show them to CIC if you file online). That's pretty much what I did the last time.

I'm with everyone else on the FBI clearance. 5 weeks mailed from Canada and back to Canada using regular mail.
This is what I am hoping. He is not working and never has (of course) and we've always filed well before his visa runs up. So I'm just hoping that they appreciate the rule following and allow him to stay longer. How long were your extensions each time? If you don't mind me asking.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
americanadians said:
It's good to know! I will probably be posting here CONSTANTLY in the next little while because I have about a billion questions! Thank you for your help!! Oh is it mandatory that there is more than one FBI check? I've read a couple people said they did more than one.
Usually no, but it can happen. Make sure you mail the FBI check within three months of getting it. If it gets over a year old, Ottawa may ask for another, but not always.

Also get it from the FBI directly. Don't use a Channeler. Those are usually rejected.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
americanadians said:
This is what I am hoping. He is not working and never has (of course) and we've always filed well before his visa runs up. So I'm just hoping that they appreciate the rule following and allow him to stay longer. How long were your extensions each time? If you don't mind me asking.
6 months, 1 year, 14 months.

In my last extension, I clearly laid out the date we married, when I mailed my FBI check in, and when we hoped to apply by. Then I said "Ottawa is posted as 12 months, so I would like 14 months. 12 to cover the processing time and two months just in case." Apparently my request made sense and was polite enough.

americanadians

Star Member
Feb 25, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15/05/2013
AOR Received.
22/05/2013
Med's Request
28/01/2014
Med's Done....
14/03/2014
LANDED..........
06/11/2014
amikety said:
Usually no, but it can happen. Make sure you mail the FBI check within three months of getting it. If it gets over a year old, Ottawa may ask for another, but not always.

Also get it from the FBI directly. Don't use a Channeler. Those are usually rejected.
Oh so the FBI background check is not needed with the initial PR application? I thought it was to be sent as one package. I'm so confused. I have to reread all the guides. So much info to take in!

americanadians

Star Member
Feb 25, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15/05/2013
AOR Received.
22/05/2013
Med's Request
28/01/2014
Med's Done....
14/03/2014
LANDED..........
06/11/2014
amikety said:
6 months, 1 year, 14 months.

In my last extension, I clearly laid out the date we married, when I mailed my FBI check in, and when we hoped to apply by. Then I said "Ottawa is posted as 12 months, so I would like 14 months. 12 to cover the processing time and two months just in case." Apparently my request made sense and was polite enough.
Oh wow ok great! We were married before he came up here so we've made that very clear each time. Just hopefully we can get the application off ASAP and then apply for the extension with the application number included!

IslandAnnie

Nov 9, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-11-2012
AOR Received.
29-11-2012
File Transfer...
29-11-2012
Med's Done....
14-11-2012
Passport Req..
08-05-2013 never received, pp submitted 09-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
22-08-2013
americanadians said:
Oh so the FBI background check is not needed with the initial PR application? I thought it was to be sent as one package. I'm so confused. I have to reread all the guides. So much info to take in!
Oh yes, you need to send it with your initial application... it just cannot be more than 90 days (3 months) after the date the FBI issues it (the application package needs to be received by CIC before the FBI check is more than 90 days old).

americanadians

Star Member
Feb 25, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15/05/2013
AOR Received.
22/05/2013
Med's Request
28/01/2014
Med's Done....
14/03/2014
LANDED..........
06/11/2014
IslandAnnie said:
Oh yes, you need to send it with your initial application... it just cannot be more than 90 days (3 months) after the date the FBI issues it (the application package needs to be received by CIC before the FBI check is more than 90 days old).
Oh right duh!! That makes sense. My brain is so fried from panicking about this all day. Your help and others on here has already been so so so incredibly helpful!! Thank you so much!!

hm82

Star Member
Jul 8, 2012
Toronto
Visa Office......
New Delhi
App. Filed.......
31-Dec-2012
AOR Received.
18-Jan-2013
Med's Done....
18-Aug-2012
Passport Req..
08-Mar-2013
VISA ISSUED...
11-Apr-2013
LANDED..........
2-May-2013
Hello, any spouse sponsor applicants to New Delhi Visa office from Nov'12-Jan'12 applications received PPR ?

IvanP

Champion Member
Jul 24, 2012
CA-Montréal
Visa Office......
Montreal-citizenship
App. Filed.......
25-09-2017
americanadians said:
Oh right duh!! That makes sense. My brain is so fried from panicking about this all day. Your help and others on here has already been so so so incredibly helpful!! Thank you so much!!
The applicant will probably also want to apply for a work permit simultaneously with the inland application, and then after "approval in principle" you can work (if you want/need to). Not sure how this is done, but I'm sure others will chime in...

americanadians

Star Member
Feb 25, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15/05/2013
AOR Received.
22/05/2013
Med's Request
28/01/2014
Med's Done....
14/03/2014
LANDED..........
06/11/2014
IvanP said:
The applicant will probably also want to apply for a work permit simultaneously with the inland application, and then after "approval in principle" you can work (if you want/need to). Not sure how this is done, but I'm sure others will chime in...
Oh I didn't even know you could do that! I will research it. We live in Montreal currently, but are doing the regular Canada application because I am graduating from university this summer and am getting the hell out of Quebec. If we were staying in Quebec he probably wouldn't need to work because it's so cheap here, but I have a feeling single income couple in Toronto would be a tid bit more difficult.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
americanadians said:
Oh I didn't even know you could do that! I will research it. We live in Montreal currently, but are doing the regular Canada application because I am graduating from university this summer and am getting the hell out of Quebec. If we were staying in Quebec he probably wouldn't need to work because it's so cheap here, but I have a feeling single income couple in Toronto would be a tid bit more difficult.
You use the "application to extend my stay, change conditions, or remain in Canada as a worker": http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/extend-worker.asp

Because it is an open work permit, you write "In Canada spousal sponsorship - Open Work Permit" on the top and write N/A to those areas that don't apply (like the "name of employer").

Include the $150 work permit fee. When filed with an inland PR application, this gives the applicant "implied status" until they make a decision on the OWP application, as long as they are in Canada legally when the application is submitted. If they are out of status, it returns them to status once processed.

americanadians

Star Member
Feb 25, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15/05/2013
AOR Received.
22/05/2013
Med's Request
28/01/2014
Med's Done....
14/03/2014
LANDED..........
06/11/2014
computergeek said:
You use the "application to extend my stay, change conditions, or remain in Canada as a worker": cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/extend-worker.asp

Because it is an open work permit, you write "In Canada spousal sponsorship - Open Work Permit" on the top and write N/A to those areas that don't apply (like the "name of employer").

Include the $150 work permit fee. When filed with an inland PR application, this gives the applicant "implied status" until they make a decision on the OWP application, as long as they are in Canada legally when the application is submitted. If they are out of status, it returns them to status once processed.
Hmmm interesting. Thank you for the information! Do you know if after you submit an inland PR application, do we HAVE to extend his visitors visa? Or is he automatically extended? I thought I read somewhere that he is not allowed to leave Canada once the application is submitted, until he receives approval.

VPS

Star Member
May 9, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-09-2012
File Transfer...
20th sept 2012
Med's Done....
July 2012
Interview........
Nopes
Passport Req..
01-10-2012, PP sent n recvd 19-10-2012
VISA ISSUED...
4 th Feb 2012, received on 11th Feb 2012
LANDED..........
March first week
As a new immigrant, how much cash can one carry to Canada? If its 10,000 permissible cash, can one bring more cash as a bank draft or is it illegal to bring cash plus bank draft? Would appreciate any reply....