+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

Bashk

Feb 26, 2013
Re: Spousal sponsorship outside canada

goodman36 said:
May be additional information will help forum members to help you.

If both of your kids are Canadian Citizen now, were they born in Canada? If they were born in Canada, did your wife travelled to Canada to give birth? In what Visa did she travel to Canada?
Well, my both kids were born in India and we applied heir citizenship and canadian passport from India. And my wife never been in Canada.

goodman36

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

Bashk said:
Well, my both kids were born in India and we applied heir citizenship and canadian passport from India. And my wife never been in Canada.
If your kids were born in India and your wife was never in Canada then you can have to apply to sponsor your wife for her to immigrate to Canada. If you wish to stay with your wife, then you can apply from Dubai or India since you are a Canadian Citizen. In that case, you have to show evidence that once you move to Canada with your wife, how you will support her. Writing e-mails to Canadian immigration to ask for permission for your wife to come to Canada is not a solution. You have to go through the process of bringing here here as an immigrant. I am not sure if she would be given a visit visa since once she arrives in Canada, she doesn't have any incentive to leave Canada.

You can also return to Canada and apply from here for your wife (this is what I suggest). At this time, visa processing time is less then a year for Indian applicant (applicant is your wife, you are the sponsor).

Since, your kids are Canadian citizen, they can travel to and from Canada with you without any hassle.

Good Luck.

Bashk

Feb 26, 2013

goodman36 said:
If your kids were born in India and your wife was never in Canada then you can have to apply to sponsor your wife for her to immigrate to Canada. If you wish to stay with your wife, then you can apply from Dubai or India since you are a Canadian Citizen. In that case, you have to show evidence that once you move to Canada with your wife, how you will support her. Writing e-mails to Canadian immigration to ask for permission for your wife to come to Canada is not a solution. You have to go through the process of bringing here here as an immigrant. I am not sure if she would be given a visit visa since once she arrives in Canada, she doesn't have any incentive to leave Canada.

You can also return to Canada and apply from here for your wife (this is what I suggest). At this time, visa processing time is less then a year for Indian applicant (applicant is your wife, you are the sponsor).

Since, your kids are Canadian citizen, they can travel to and from Canada with you without any hassle.

Good Luck.
Thank you and I guess I have no other choice and should apply from India. I would try from Canada but it seems difficult to leave my family that long as my little kids need both of us.. Well thanks again for your response.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
chelseaviel said:
•Proof of continuous communication such as internet chats, emails, phone bills reflecting calls made to each other, etc.
This is the issue that the visa officer is concerned about. How frequently do you communicate with your sponsor? HOW do you communicate?

Whatever was submitted must not have been enough to satisfy the visa officer. For this to come after PPR is a little unusual but I'm guessing the visa officer didn't expect any issues here but upon final review was concerned that there wasn't enough evidence supporting this ongoing communications.

Just put together the best evidence you have. Don't hold back at this point. I wouldn't even restrict it to evidence since you filed your application. If you had things you didn't submit before, now is the time to do so. If you have 200 pages of new material, submit it!

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
mrsnicflo said:
Hello everyone,
my spouse is in Mexico but previously lived in Canada and was denied refugee status. We applied for spousal sponsorship October 1 after he had already been sent back to Mexico. I know the chances for him to come home if we had a normal situation but I am wondering how many months I should expect to add to the normal time frames for police checks, fingerprints, ARC, etc. ? Any help would be appreciated!
There are two factors here that are likely to add substantially to normal processing time: the ARC and concerns about the legitimacy of your relationship. Are you sure that an ARC is required? If he left Canada voluntarily and confirmed his departure with CBSA then an ARC wouldn't be required. If he is under a deportation order then an ARC will be required and ARCs can require 6-12 months of additional time to process. In addition, if CBSA paid for his removal the costs of that removal must be repaid before they will finalize the paperwork.

Because he has a failed refugee claim his relationship with you will be heavily scrutinized to ensure that the primary purpose of the sponsored application isn't to obtain status in Canada. You should be prepared for an interview, which can add 3-6 months onto the process as well.

Feb 26, 2013
Hello everyone,

I am a US Citizen currently, apply for my citizenship certificate currently due to my mother being a Canadian born citizen. I am planning to relocate to Toronto at the end of this year with my company.

My question is: What are my options for my significant other to relocate with me?

Another member mentioned that there are some rules surrounding a common law relationship that may help us to get him PR in Canada. Can anyone help me to understand how this process works, and what would qualify someone for this?

Thank you kindly in advance! 8)

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
KristenTylerPhoto said:
Another member mentioned that there are some rules surrounding a common law relationship that may help us to get him PR in Canada. Can anyone help me to understand how this process works, and what would qualify someone for this?
To qualify as common-law you need to have been living with your partner for a minimum of 1 year, at the time you do the application. As long as you have your Canadian citizenship, there should be no problems with you applying for his PR. You can start the application process right after you get citizenship and before you move, since you have obvious intention to move/reside in Canada due to your job. In this case you would use "outland" process, where all forms/info are found here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp

Feb 26, 2013
Thank you very much!

last question - Does anyone know what kind of paperwork they accept as proof of common law?

He is not currently on my lease, but we've lived together for the past 8 months. He does have some of his bills sharing the same address currently.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
KristenTylerPhoto said:
last question - Does anyone know what kind of paperwork they accept as proof of common law?

He is not currently on my lease, but we've lived together for the past 8 months. He does have some of his bills sharing the same address currently.
There is no 1 absolute proof, you just need to show as many proofs as possible. In our case we proved common-law even though our house is entirely under my name only. Good proofs to include are:
- bills with same address (like you already have)
- joint credit card/bank account (easy to set up)
- life insurance with each other as primary beneficiary (easy to set up a cheap term policy)
- sharing of house purchases, household management etc
- letters from friends/family/neighbours/landlord etc giving testimony you are a true couple and living together (for US applicants there is actually a mandatory requirement for 2 such letters, and they need to be certified/notarized)

Obviously you will need to wait another 4 months to reach the 1-year mark, and be officially common-law and eligible to apply (but you should start collecting all your proofs and preparing now).

Feb 26, 2013
All great info thank you.

Did any of the paperwork that you provided outside of the letters of recommendation show dates by chance?
Just curious if they need verification of dates on their end :)

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
KristenTylerPhoto said:

Did any of the paperwork that you provided outside of the letters of recommendation show dates by chance?
We tried to include mail that was dated as close to the date we first moved in together... but even this was a couple months after. When it comes to proving common-law, if there is no dated shared lease/mortgage signed, the actual date you moved in together is whatever you say it is. When you are filling out the application forms for PR, you will have to state all addresses lived in over the past decade or so. So your partner here will show your address now, starting from 8 months ago.

Another proof we included was from my employer, as when we became common-law my partner was added onto my work benefits plan as common-law spouse. This showed the exact date (but again the date was simply what I told them).

I'm not sure of US law, but in Canada when you become common-law you can change your tax status with Canada Revenue Agency from single to common-law. There is a print out of your status you can include, that shows partners name and specific date you became common-law for tax purposes. Perhaps check with US tax agency (IRS?) if they have a similar 1-yr rule for common-law and taxes that you can include.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
KristenTylerPhoto said:

You can also download and sign a cohabitation agreement. They are free copies on the internet.

goodman36

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I received an e-mail from our Visa Office asking to sent them my spouse's notarized copy of her Birth Certificate. This is the only item they are asking to further review the application documents.

What does it mean? Does it mean that a Visa Officer has opened the file and as soon as they receive the above document they will start reviewing the file further?

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
goodman36 said:
I received an e-mail from our Visa Office asking to sent them my spouse's notarized copy of her Birth Certificate. This is the only item they are asking to further review the application documents.

What does it mean? Does it mean that a Visa Officer has opened the file and as soon as they receive the above document they will start reviewing the file further?
It definitely means the visa officer has reviewed the file. In some time period (usually shortly after the deadline they list in their correspondence) your file will be reviewed again. If the requested material is present it is likely the visa officer will conclude her or his review of the file and move it to the next stage. If the requested material is not present they usually generate a final notice to you advising you that if you do not submit the requested material they will assume you have lost interest in immigrating to Canada and will close the file if they do not hear anything further.

goodman36

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
computergeek said:
It definitely means the visa officer has reviewed the file. In some time period (usually shortly after the deadline they list in their correspondence) your file will be reviewed again. If the requested material is present it is likely the visa officer will conclude her or his review of the file and move it to the next stage. If the requested material is not present they usually generate a final notice to you advising you that if you do not submit the requested material they will assume you have lost interest in immigrating to Canada and will close the file if they do not hear anything further.
Dear Computergeek, they mentioned in the e-mail letter that we have to sent the "Notarized copy of applicant's Birth Certificate" within 60 days of the date on the letter.