+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

mohamed imad

Feb 16, 2013
Hello , I am sponsoring my wife , in Application IMM 5540 Q # have you sesided in countries other than canada ?
whats the time frame ? ( is it sence i was born ?) & what does reside mean ? (is it like 6 months ) or do i have to write each vacation i spent ?
really confused ??? ( i have travelled alot :mad: )
Thank you

jiggyzealous

Jan 22, 2013
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October 26, 2012
AOR Received.
December 21, 2012
Med's Done....
August 17, 2012
Interview........
God waived it for us
LANDED..........
Praying for this year
@Mohamed iman those questions are for ur wife. Its time from her date of birth until the day up to the time of the application if she's not living in Canada.I she's living in Canada then it would be until the last day she spent in her home country.If vacation was more than six months u must include it. Yes resides means where u lived

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
americanadians said:
Hmmm interesting. Thank you for the information! Do you know if after you submit an inland PR application, do we HAVE to extend his visitors visa? Or is he automatically extended? I thought I read somewhere that he is not allowed to leave Canada once the application is submitted, until he receives approval.
The open work permit constitutes an application for status and thus he can remain in Canada (legally) until they decide on that application.

It is not prohibited to leave, but if he is refused permission to re-enter Canada he cannot fulfill the requirements of the spouse-in-Canada class application (which requires he be living with his spouse/partner in Canada.)

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
VPS said:
As a new immigrant, how much cash can one carry to Canada? If its 10,000 permissible cash, can one bring more cash as a bank draft or is it illegal to bring cash plus bank draft? Would appreciate any reply....
You can bring as much cash as you would like. If it is $10,000 or more you must declare it to CBSA and you fill out forms. Note: this is cash or cash equivalents. You can bring in a bank draft payable to yourself in any amount and you do not need to declare it. If the bank draft is payable to the bearer then it is a "cash equivalent" and must be declared.

The issue with reporting is about preventing money laundering, but CBSA is used to immigrants bringing in large sums of cash.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/security-securite/cbcr-dmte/menu-eng.html

Good luck!

americanadians

Star Member
Feb 25, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15/05/2013
AOR Received.
22/05/2013
Med's Request
28/01/2014
Med's Done....
14/03/2014
LANDED..........
06/11/2014
computergeek said:
The open work permit constitutes an application for status and thus he can remain in Canada (legally) until they decide on that application.

It is not prohibited to leave, but if he is refused permission to re-enter Canada he cannot fulfill the requirements of the spouse-in-Canada class application (which requires he be living with his spouse/partner in Canada.)
Thank you so much! Super helpful! I will definitely consider that. One more thing. Are there special requirements he must have to get the open work permit (I.e certain education level) and when does the work permit expire?

chelseaviel

Dec 15, 2010
Philippines
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila, Philippines
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 04, 2012
Doc's Request.
addt'l docs sent on Jan. 11 and recv'd by CEM on Jan. 14 2nd addt'l docs reqt'd on Feb 26,2013 sent on March 21 recv'd on March 22,2013
AOR Received.
July 31,2012
File Transfer...
Aug.13, 2012...in-process June 7, 2013...DM July 11, 2013
Med's Request
May 09, 2013 (remed)
Med's Done....
Jan. 31, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Jan. 03, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
July 19, 2013
LANDED..........
August 09, 2013
Anybody please help!!!!

I received a letter from CEM stating the following:

This is with respect to your application for a permanent resident visa as a member of the family class, the class in which you applied.

A preliminary review of your file, based on the information and documentation you have submitted to date, raises concerns that you may not meet the requirements for immigration to Canada.

Subsection 12(1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act states that a foreign national may be selected as a member of the family class on the basis of their relationship as the spouse, common-law partner, child, parent or other prescribed family member of a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.

Section 4 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations establishes that a foreign national "shall not be considered a spouse, a common-law partner, a conjugal partner or an adopted child of a person if the marriage, common-law partnership, conjugal partnership or adoption is not genuine and was entered into primarily for the purpose of acquiring any status or privilege under the Act." Due to the limited documentation/information you provided with your application, the information available is insufficient information to conclude that you are in a bona fide relationship with your sponsor and that you are not excluded from the family class pursuant to section 4 of the Regulations.

This letter is being sent to you to offer you an opportunity to respond to this concern and to afford you an opportunity to supplement your file with additional information. Therefore, before a final decision is made by an officer, you may submit a written explanation with respect to the concerns identified above. You are free to provide any submissions or information which you would like the visa officer to consider which might serve to allay these concerns This may include additional proof of relationship in the form of cards, letters, photographs, proof of financial support, e-mail exchanges, chat transcripts, etc. which may support the development and bona fides of your relationship, or any other written documentation you would like to submit.

Please be aware that the onus is on you to satisfy a visa officer that you meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and Regulations. Therefore, it is in your best interest to ensure that if you do make additional submissions, they are fulsome and address the above concern(s) as completely as possible.

You must provide any additional information you would like the officer to consider within 45 days of the date of this letter. You are also required to submit an NBI clearance with your correct middle name.
At the end of this period, your file will be forwarded to the responsible visa officer for review. The officer will review your file and will make a decision on the application, taking into consideration all of the facts, circumstances and submissions before him/her. This will of course include your response (if any) to the concerns identified above and any additional documentation you have submitted. If you choose not to respond, the officer will make a decision on the basis of the information before him/her.

I feel like breaking down when I received this. I have given them all the documents that they asked. Do i need to seek for a legal advise for this? Im just so frustrated :( Do I still have a chance to be approved? i really feel so helpless :( Does anyone here got the same case with mine? your response is my comfort.

anton1023

Apr 20, 2012
Visa Office......
manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Oct 6 2011
Passport Req..
Jan 30 2012
Hi anton here from Manila... I would like to ask would it be possible to apply for tourist visa to canada while I am having an ongoing application as a family sponsored(spouse) application... My application as a sponsored spouse have been sent to CE Manila and until now there's no development as to how long will it take... I have to be in Canada to take an exam- eligibility exam as a Medical Technologist/Scientist and I only have 3 tries to do it. I already have the invitation to have the exam but the problem is how can I apply for tourist visa when my passport is in the Canadian Embassy (with the ongoing spouse application). My case in my family sponsor visa is 117 9d. Visa officer thinks that we have conjugal relationship prior to my wife departure to canada. Our relationship only started 5 months before she went to canada.. Since we were in the same boarding house we have the same address.. So the VO thinks the there is misdeclaration on my wife part that she didnt include me in her application(the fact is we were just Boyfriend/Girlfriend at that time.. 8 months after landing in canada my wife went back to the philippines and then we got married and applied for spouse visa... Its been 1 year that they have my passport at the CE Manila. So I cant do anything because the embassy have my passport. Would it be possible to apply for another visa application while my current application is ongoing? Please help me guys..

IvanP

Champion Member
Jul 24, 2012
CA-Montréal
Visa Office......
Montreal-citizenship
App. Filed.......
25-09-2017
chelseaviel said:
Anybody please help!!!!

I feel like breaking down when I received this. I have given them all the documents that they asked. Do i need to seek for a legal advise for this? Im just so frustrated :( Do I still have a chance to be approved? i really feel so helpless :( Does anyone here got the same case with mine? your response is my comfort.
Of course you still have a chance - that's what the visa officer is giving you!

Your best evidence is going to be evidence from the period of time after you applied and before you received this request for more information. Chat logs, phone bills, correspondence about your move and future living arrangements, proof of visits or travel together, more photographs, etc. Anything and everything you can provide to show that all of the evidence you provided before the application continued to accumulate, including any communications with your spouse's family, and evidence of your spouse's communication with your family, and that the relationship continued.

Also, pretend you were in the visa officer's shoes, and try to think of what it is, exactly, that would make the visa officer suspicious or doubt that the relationship is genuine. It's their job to look for fraud in the applications, so try to look at your own situation from the standpoint of someone who doesn't know you. Ask your friends what they think someone might find odd/doubtful/suspicious/unusual about your relationship. Then address whatever doubts you think the visa officer is having.

Good luck!

jiggyzealous

Jan 22, 2013
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October 26, 2012
AOR Received.
December 21, 2012
Med's Done....
August 17, 2012
Interview........
God waived it for us
LANDED..........
Praying for this year
@chelseaviel . What point during the application did they tell u this? I saw that u even had passport request. Has it file been forwarded to tour home visa office already? Well u need to provide them with some more documents like letters from friends and family speaking about your genuine relationships, photos with friends and family. Evidence that you've been calling each other. You both could include letters to them about plans for the future in terms of having children etc

goodman36

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mohamed imad said:
Hello , I am sponsoring my wife , in Application IMM 5540 Q # have you sesided in countries other than canada ?
whats the time frame ? ( is it sence i was born ?) & what does reside mean ? (is it like 6 months ) or do i have to write each vacation i spent ?
really confused ??? ( i have travelled alot :mad: )
Thank you
Mohamed, this is for you, not for your wife. You are the Sponsor, this is a Sponsor Form.

You have to list all addresses since you were born. If you lived in several addresses within a country, then you have to list them too. If you travelled somewhere, you don't have to mention them unless you lived or resided there for a few months or so. Use an additional page if needed and keep it at the end of this Form. On the additional page, write down 'Additional Page to complete Q# 7 of Form 5540' and write your name to on the top right too.

chelseaviel

Dec 15, 2010
Philippines
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila, Philippines
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 04, 2012
Doc's Request.
addt'l docs sent on Jan. 11 and recv'd by CEM on Jan. 14 2nd addt'l docs reqt'd on Feb 26,2013 sent on March 21 recv'd on March 22,2013
AOR Received.
July 31,2012
File Transfer...
Med's Request
May 09, 2013 (remed)
Med's Done....
Jan. 31, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Jan. 03, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
July 19, 2013
LANDED..........
August 09, 2013
jiggyzealous said:
@ chelseaviel . What point during the application did they tell u this? I saw that u even had passport request. Has it file been forwarded to tour home visa office already? Well u need to provide them with some more documents like letters from friends and family speaking about your genuine relationships, photos with friends and family. Evidence that you've been calling each other. You both could include letters to them about plans for the future in terms of having children etc
I actually got a letter from them last January 03, 2013 stating the following:

IMPORTANT:

Additional Document/Information Requirements at This Time

In order to continue processing your application, we require the following information and/or documents:

•Fully Completed Appendix A

•Valid National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) issued within the last six months, with thumbprint and dry seal affixed. Please send us the original copy. "Personal Copy" is not accepted. DO NOT FAX YOUR NBI CLEARANCE.

•Original NSO (National Statistics Office) birth certificate for yourself. (IF BIRTH CERTIFICATE IS LATE-REGISTERED, original baptismal certificate and/or other original documents establishing identity (old school records, voter ID, etc) MUST also be submitted)

•Original NSO Advisory on Marriages for yourself

•Proof of continuous communication such as internet chats, emails, phone bills reflecting calls made to each other, tec.

•Original Passport

To ensure timely processing and facilitate your travel, we strongly recommend that you submit the new red-coloured passports currently being issued by the Philippines authorities as they are in compliance with the machine-readable passport Requirement of the International Civil Aviation Organization.

They asked me for birth cert. which I submitted before and my NBI clearance which is not expired yet. So I received a letter today Feb. 26, 2013 that they are thinking that I may not meet the requirements for immigration.Me and my husband are both exhausted right now and he even think that maybe the immigration officers lost some of our papers coz they keep on asking us docs that they already have and its not even expiring:'(

chelseaviel

Dec 15, 2010
Philippines
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila, Philippines
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 04, 2012
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
July 31,2012
File Transfer...
Med's Request
May 09, 2013 (remed)
Med's Done....
Jan. 31, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Jan. 03, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
July 19, 2013
LANDED..........
August 09, 2013
IvanP said:
Of course you still have a chance - that's what the visa officer is giving you!

Your best evidence is going to be evidence from the period of time after you applied and before you received this request for more information. Chat logs, phone bills, correspondence about your move and future living arrangements, proof of visits or travel together, more photographs, etc. Anything and everything you can provide to show that all of the evidence you provided before the application continued to accumulate, including any communications with your spouse's family, and evidence of your spouse's communication with your family, and that the relationship continued.

Also, pretend you were in the visa officer's shoes, and try to think of what it is, exactly, that would make the visa officer suspicious or doubt that the relationship is genuine. It's their job to look for fraud in the applications, so try to look at your own situation from the standpoint of someone who doesn't know you. Ask your friends what they think someone might find odd/doubtful/suspicious/unusual about your relationship. Then address whatever doubts you think the visa officer is having.

Good luck!
Yes I understand, Im looking it on that perspective but at least they could have put themselves in our shoes too even just for few minutes and feel the agony that we're going through with this whole process :'(

Bashk

Feb 26, 2013
Re: Spousal sponsorship outside canada

Hello,

I am a canadian citizen and working in the Middle east over 4years, and since my wife is Indian citizen and we were living together in the middle east and we visit our second home in India time to time. We have two kids who is 3.5year old girl and 10months old boy baby. And both our kids have received their canadian citizenship card as well as the canadian passport. However, we are planning to go back to canada for good and I have cancelled my Dubai visa and right now staying in India with my wife and kids. Since, I have few questions that would ask here and get any suggestion / help from you guys for: How can I take my wife with me and kids as my wife is not a PR card holder, Is it possible can we get a visa to my wife and then apply for her PR from Canada? , is there any way we can convince the immigration officer through email explaining the situation as our intention is to stay in Canada for good, especially my daughter has to start her school soon and we would like to have her education from Canada. I would appreciate your kind help on this matter as per your great knowledge.

Thanks
Bash

goodman36

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Re: Spousal sponsorship outside canada

Bashk said:
Hello,

I am a canadian citizen and working in the Middle east over 4years, and since my wife is Indian citizen and we were living together in the middle east and we visit our second home in India time to time. We have two kids who is 3.5year old girl and 10months old boy baby. And both our kids have received their canadian citizenship card as well as the canadian passport. However, we are planning to go back to canada for good and I have cancelled my Dubai visa and right now staying in India with my wife and kids. Since, I have few questions that would ask here and get any suggestion / help from you guys for: How can I take my wife with me and kids as my wife is not a PR card holder, Is it possible can we get a visa to my wife and then apply for her PR from Canada? , is there any way we can convince the immigration officer through email explaining the situation as our intention is to stay in Canada for good, especially my daughter has to start her school soon and we would like to have her education from Canada. I would appreciate your kind help on this matter as per your great knowledge.

Thanks
Bash
May be additional information will help forum members to help you.

If both of your kids are Canadian Citizen now, were they born in Canada? If they were born in Canada, did your wife travelled to Canada to give birth? In what Visa did she travel to Canada?

mrsnicflo

Feb 7, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-OCT-2012
Doc's Request.
RCMP and PGR: 05-APR-2013 IRB: 15-JUL-2013 ARC: 05-NOV-13
AOR Received.
05-APR-2013
File Transfer...
30-OCT-2012
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
28-AUG-2012
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
04-JAN-14
VISA ISSUED...
06-JAN-14
LANDED..........
07-JAN-14
Hello everyone,
my spouse is in Mexico but previously lived in Canada and was denied refugee status. We applied for spousal sponsorship October 1 after he had already been sent back to Mexico. I know the chances for him to come home if we had a normal situation but I am wondering how many months I should expect to add to the normal time frames for police checks, fingerprints, ARC, etc. ? Any help would be appreciated!