+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

vipasha brar

Feb 25, 2013
i need some help... my husband has applied for my visa in june!
we have unfortunately lost our application number/ file number :(
what can i do from India for this?
please help
:'( :'( :'( :'(

cempjwi

Mar 14, 2012
CANADA
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
31-Jul-12
Doc's Request.
09-Feb-13; Sent 13-Mar-13
AOR Received.
15-Oct-12; In-process 26-Mar-13
File Transfer...
15-Oct-12
Med's Request
02-Apr-13 Chest Xray Only
Med's Done....
14-May-12; 04-Apr-13 (Delivered 15-Apr-13)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-Apr-2013
VISA ISSUED...
19-Apr-2013 (Rcvd May 15th, 2013)
LANDED..........
1-July-2013
Rob_TO said:
Not quite. In most cases if the thing you are copying is already in english/french, it doesn't need to be certified and regular photocopy will do. You only need to get a copy certified if:
- it specifically requests to do so in the country specific guide
- if the copy needs to be officially translated

So for example a Korean passport does NOT need to be a certified copy, since the passport already has english field titles on the bio page.

The Korean police certificate is in Korean, so you must include the ORIGINAL certificate, along with CERTIFIED/NOTARIZED translation.

For Korean citizens they also need to include:
•Family Relation Certificate and one certified true translation into French or English of your Family
Relation Certificate. This document should have been recently issued.
• Marriage Relation Certificate and one certified true translation into French or English
• Old (deleted) Family Census Register and one certified true translation into French or English

We were also asked to include Korean entry/exit certificate (showing travel in and out of Korea from immigration), even though it wasn't in the checklist.
Not quite either. Just because documents are or contain English/French does not mean they do not require notarized copies. There are two kinds of notarizations: Notarized true copies and notarized translation. The former are used to certify that a copy is true to the original and the latter to certify that a translation into English is true to the language of the original. Many of my official documents are in English and they required notarized copies.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
cempjwi said:
Just because documents are or contain English/French does not mean they do not require notarized copies.
As stated, they only require notarized true copies if the application specifically requests them.

Each country specific guide is different, so have to read carefully for each case. What's true for one applicant, may not be for another. But in many cases things already in english/french like a passport or marriage certificate, don't need to be certified true and just regular photocopies are fine.

Many of my official documents are in English and they required notarized copies.
I assume you are applying as USA resident? I'm curious which forms state notarized copies are required. I'm helping a co-worker from USA go through the PR process, and to our knowledge there are no mandatory requirements here.

Feb 25, 2013
hi, nakatanggap ung hubby ko ng letter from embassy telling that they should send the following
1. LC@form request? anu ba to? pls help me.

britt

Feb 25, 2013
Hello.
This forum has been very helpful. I have been very confused and overwhelmed with this process and I want to make sure I have all my bases covered. My boyfriend (Canadian and living in BC) and I are planning on getting married this spring. I am a US citizen. We have maintained a "long distance" relationship for several years now. I have two children (grade K and 3). Once we get married we will apply for PR. Am I correct in understanding that just because we get married and apply for PR, that this does not entail my kids and I to stay in Canada as anything other than visitors. A few questions I have right now are:

1. Will he be able to sponsor my kids as well as me (I have full legal custody)?

2. Is there a way that we could stay in Canada after we get married while we wait for the PR card? And if so, will my kids be able to go to school while we wait for the PR card? And will we be able to go under his medical insurance?

Thank you for taking the time to spell the process out.If anyone has any info or experience with this, I greatly appreciate it!

cempjwi

Mar 14, 2012
CANADA
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
31-Jul-12
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
15-Oct-12
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-Apr-2013
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
1-July-2013
britt said:
Hello.
This forum has been very helpful. I have been very confused and overwhelmed with this process and I want to make sure I have all my bases covered. My boyfriend (Canadian and living in BC) and I are planning on getting married this spring. I am a US citizen. We have maintained a "long distance" relationship for several years now. I have two children (grade K and 3). Once we get married we will apply for PR. Am I correct in understanding that just because we get married and apply for PR, that this does not entail my kids and I to stay in Canada as anything other than visitors. A few questions I have right now are:

1. Will he be able to sponsor my kids as well as me (I have full legal custody)?

2. Is there a way that we could stay in Canada after we get married while we wait for the PR card? And if so, will my kids be able to go to school while we wait for the PR card? And will we be able to go under his medical insurance?

Thank you for taking the time to spell the process out.If anyone has any info or experience with this, I greatly appreciate it!
If you apply inland (as if residing in Canada while in Canada) you will be a visitor until sponsorship approval if you submit your application along with an application for an open work permit and such work permit is approved. I am sure there are ways to extend your open work permit status to your kids, i am just not sure how. If you apply outland (as if residing outside Canada while in Canada), you and your kids will be considered visitors until you are able to land as a PR. You must remain in legal visitor status to avoid complications with your PR process (I hear you should submit an extension of your visitor status at least 60 to 30 days before expiration).

1. Yes, he can sponsor you and your kids. I am sure you have to prove in your application that you can take them with you. Please note that while spousal sponsorship does not require minimum income, sponsoring your children may require minimum income. Accurate information coulod be found in the sponsorship guide.

2. Yes, as I mentioned before, you can stay in canada as a visitor as long as your status is maintained; however, schools in your area in Canada may or may not require some sort of legal status to enroll your children in school. You should contact the schools for that. Once you receive legal status via open work permit (and by extension your kids), if you go that route, you should not have an issue with that if required by schools. Having married him may entitle you to be on his privately provided medical insurance (even before PR is granted or even applied for) but I am not sure about your kid as marrying him does not give him any automatic parental rights over them or direct relation to him legally speaking (a filed or successful PR sponsorship for them does not mean legal adoption or guardianship and some insurance companies may require that). Your future husband may have to inquire with his insurance company directly.

cempjwi

Mar 14, 2012
CANADA
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
31-Jul-12
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
15-Oct-12
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-Apr-2013
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
1-July-2013
britt said:
Hello.

I just double checked. Your sponsor is not required to meet the minimum required income to sponsor your children. However, during the processing of your application (after sponsorship itself is approved) he may be required to prove (by way of a job or other means of income, savings, etc) that you and your children may not require social assistance once you all land in Canada.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
cempjwi said:
If you apply inland (as if residing in Canada while in Canada) you will be a visitor until sponsorship approval if you submit your application along with an application for an open work permit and such work permit is approved. I am sure there are ways to extend your open work permit status to your kids, i am just not sure how. If you apply outland (as if residing outside Canada while in Canada), you and your kids will be considered visitors until you are able to land as a PR. You must remain in legal visitor status to avoid complications with your PR process (I hear you should submit an extension of your visitor status at least 60 to 30 days before expiration).
There is a special exception for out of status applicants an inland sponsorship, but it is always best to maintain legal status.

Note that if you qualify for a work permit you can obtain one even with an outland PR application (e.g., NAFTA or an LMO).

cempjwi said:
1. Yes, he can sponsor you and your kids. I am sure you have to prove in your application that you can take them with you. Please note that while spousal sponsorship does not require minimum income, sponsoring your children may require minimum income. Accurate information coulod be found in the sponsorship guide.
There is no minimum income for spouse + dependent children. There is an income requirement if the dependent children have children (e.g., grandchildren). Even without a specific income you do have to convince CIC that the sponsor can provide for the applicant and dependents.

Sponsors of dependent children and of spouses, common-law partners or conjugal partners (unless they have dependent children who have dependent children of their own) do not have to meet financial requirements, but they do undertake to provide for the basic necessities of the sponsored applicants so that the applicants do not need social assistance.
Source: OP 2

cempjwi said:
2. Yes, as I mentioned before, you can stay in canada as a visitor as long as your status is maintained; however, schools in your area in Canada may or may not require some sort of legal status to enroll your children in school. You should contact the schools for that. Once you receive legal status via open work permit (and by extension your kids), if you go that route, you should not have an issue with that if required by schools. Having married him may entitle you to be on his privately provided medical insurance (even before PR is granted or even applied for) but I am not sure about your kid as marrying him does not give him any automatic parental rights over them or direct relation to him legally speaking (a filed or successful PR sponsorship for them does not mean legal adoption or guardianship and some insurance companies may require that). Your future husband may have to inquire with his insurance company directly.
Certainly with an OWP the children of the applicant qualify for study or visitor permits, like any other TFW.

americanadians

Star Member
Feb 25, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15/05/2013
AOR Received.
22/05/2013
Med's Request
28/01/2014
Med's Done....
14/03/2014
LANDED..........
06/11/2014
Slight panicking here.

My husband and I have just started going through the applications and filling it out. We believe we are going to apply for the inland option because he has been here for a year and a half on a visitors visa. We have been married for almost two years. The reason we didn't apply earlier was first because of financial reasons, then because we thought we were moving to the states but didn't. Now we finally have the resources and we're staying in Canada and we are ready to apply. Unfortunately his current visitor visa runs up on June 14th. We are still just beginning to fill out the paperwork as now we have realized that supposedly it takes 16-18 weeks for FBI background checks (which I'm still not sure has to be sent with the initial application). We are kind of freaking out. We're definitely not going to have the application submitted before June 14th if the FBI check takes that long. We were hoping it would be submitted in the next month or so, so that it would be more likely for them to give us another extension on his visitor visa (we've already received two, one for 6 months and the last one was for a year). Do you think it's likely they'll give is another extension? This just seems so impossible to do without a lawyer! And we don't really have the extra cash to spare for a lawyer. Help! Has anyone done their application without a lawyer's help and been successful? And what if for some reason they don't believe in our relationship (I don't know why they wouldn't, but I'm still worried because you never know) and refuse our inland application? Then he can never apply again right?

Aaghhh! someone just reassure me that we can do this. I don't want my husband to have to leave. And this application is so terrifying and confusing. :(

Edit: I forgot to mention my husband is from the United States. I am a Canadian citizen.

IvanP

Champion Member
Jul 24, 2012
CA-Montréal
Visa Office......
Montreal-citizenship
App. Filed.......
25-09-2017
americanadians said:
Slight panicking here.

My husband and I have just started going through the applications and filling it out. We believe we are going to apply for the inland option because he has been here for a year and a half on a visitors visa. We have been married for almost two years. The reason we didn't apply earlier was first because of financial reasons, then because we thought we were moving to the states but didn't. Now we finally have the resources and we're staying in Canada and we are ready to apply. Unfortunately his current visitor visa runs up on June 14th. We are still just beginning to fill out the paperwork as now we have realized that supposedly it takes 16-18 weeks for FBI background checks (which I'm still not sure has to be sent with the initial application). We are kind of freaking out. We're definitely not going to have the application submitted before June 14th if the FBI check takes that long. We were hoping it would be submitted in the next month or so, so that it would be more likely for them to give us another extension on his visitor visa (we've already received two, one for 6 months and the last one was for a year). Do you think it's likely they'll give is another extension? This just seems so impossible to do without a lawyer! And we don't really have the extra cash to spare for a lawyer. Help! Has anyone done their application without a lawyer's help and been successful? And what if for some reason they don't believe in our relationship (I don't know why they wouldn't, but I'm still worried because you never know) and refuse our inland application? Then he can never apply again right?

Aaghhh! someone just reassure me that we can do this. I don't want my husband to have to leave. And this application is so terrifying and confusing. :(

Edit: I forgot to mention my husband is from the United States. I am a Canadian citizen.
FBI check is probably not going to take that long - I think it took about 5 weeks in the summer of 2012.

cempjwi

Mar 14, 2012
CANADA
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
31-Jul-12
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
15-Oct-12
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-Apr-2013
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
1-July-2013
americanadians said:
Slight panicking here.

By our personal experience... FBI reports do no take that long. We have requested 2 of them, onle last year (in Feb 2012) and one this year (Jan 2013) and in both cases they came back in 4 to 5 weeks.

americanadians

Star Member
Feb 25, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15/05/2013
AOR Received.
22/05/2013
Med's Request
28/01/2014
Med's Done....
14/03/2014
LANDED..........
06/11/2014
IvanP said:
FBI check is probably not going to take that long - I think it took about 5 weeks in the summer of 2012.
Oh wow really!? Thank you that is really good to hear. Panic level slightly lowered!

americanadians

Star Member
Feb 25, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15/05/2013
AOR Received.
22/05/2013
Med's Request
28/01/2014
Med's Done....
14/03/2014
LANDED..........
06/11/2014
cempjwi said:
By our personal experience... FBI reports do no take that long. We have requested 2 of them, onle last year (in Feb 2012) and one this year (Jan 2013) and in both cases they came back in 4 to 5 weeks.
Thank you! That actually makes me feel a little better. Ok phew!

IslandAnnie

Nov 9, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-11-2012
AOR Received.
29-11-2012
File Transfer...
29-11-2012
Med's Done....
14-11-2012
Passport Req..
08-05-2013 never received, pp submitted 09-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
22-08-2013
americanadians said:
Slight panicking here.

There are a few people here on the forums that disclose they are using lawyers, but the vast majority are doing it themselves....with lots of assistance from all the folks here! And we did more than one FBI check (most recent Oct/Nov 12) and they only took about 4-5 weeks.

Good luck with your application.