+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

dhaant

Aug 11, 2014
Hey i have a few questions.

I am an Indian citizen. My US visa student visa has expired last year in 2013. My I-20 is active which is keeping me in status in US since last 6 years. This I20 will expire in less than 1 year so i will be leaving US in less than an year.

1. My situation is such that i will not be able to travel outside US for 1 year. So will our marriage in US be considered legal?

2. Also if my parents and her parents or family is not able to attend it (all my friends and a few elders who are not family members will be there), will it be again difficult to prove it to CIC about legitimacy of our marriage?

3. If i am still residing in US when my wife (Canadian PR) files for my spousal PR application, and i indicate that i want India for visa processing (because obviously my I-20 is not valid for more than a year), does CIC send my file to India or can then send it even to US visa processing center since i am non immigrant resident of US since 6 years?

tink23

Champion Member
Apr 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Santo Domingo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 23, 2012
File Transfer...
Oct 9, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Nov 26, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 4, 2012
dhaant said:
Hey i have a few questions.

I am an Indian citizen. My US visa student visa has expired last year in 2013. My I-20 is active which is keeping me in status in US since last 6 years. This I20 will expire in less than 1 year so i will be leaving US in less than an year.

1. My situation is such that i will not be able to travel outside US for 1 year. So will our marriage in US be considered legal?

2. Also if my parents and her parents or family is not able to attend it (all my friends and a few elders who are not family members will be there), will it be again difficult to prove it to CIC about legitimacy of our marriage?

3. If i am still residing in US when my wife (Canadian PR) files for my spousal PR application, and i indicate that i want India for visa processing (because obviously my I-20 is not valid for more than a year), does CIC send my file to India or can then send it even to US visa processing center since i am non immigrant resident of US since 6 years?
1. Yes your marriage will be valid in Canada. If the marriage is valid in US, it will be valid in Canada.
- does your future wife have a US visitor visa? Having a Canadian PR does not grant her automatic access into the US. If she carries an Indian passport, she will need to have a US visitor visa to enter the US.

2. As long as you explain the circumstances of your wedding to CIC, they should understand. Not everyone has big weddings. Not everyone has the luxury of being able to travel. However, since I think it is custom for big and lavish weddings for Indians, then I think this will take extra explaining why they couldn't attend. Maybe get them to write some letters of support to show they are still a part of the marriage.

3. CIC can choose where they want your application processed. It can be either in the country of residence or in the country of citizenship. I'd say that chances are high that they will choose India. Explain your request and they could take it into consideration. I'd say it is more likely that they will choose India to process than US since they more often error on the side of citizenship than residence, even though people sometimes request the process to be conducted through country of residence.

gogogadget

Aug 12, 2014
Thanks Rob_TO!

Rob_TO said:
With inland app, open work permit app is processed after stage 1 approval which based on current times is 12 months after applying. So if you submitted inland app in January this year, you can expect work permit by sometime after January 2015.

Lucasvilla

Star Member
Sep 24, 2010
Dubai
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
March 1st
Hi all,

Please anybody using Abu dhabi visa office for spouse visa, inbox me let chat.

Thanks.

dhang729

Aug 5, 2014
Proof of funds at the point of entry.
Im planning to bring 4000 us dollar as cash as there is no available canadian dollar at the bank and around 7,200 canadian dollars as bank draft. I will be landing as a single person is this fine?
Thanks

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
dhang729 said:
Proof of funds at the point of entry.
Im planning to bring 4000 us dollar as cash as there is no available canadian dollar at the bank and around 7,200 canadian dollars as bank draft. I will be landing as a single person is this fine?
Thanks
to

you are posting in the spousal sponsorship thread where there is no rquirement to show proof of funds at entry. to get an accurate answer to your question, you need to ask in the board specific to the category you applied under. if you are a single person, then you are in the wrong board.

m11nk

Aug 14, 2014
Aoa..im resident of pakistan& recently got married.my husband is pakistani too bt he has PR card and has a gud job in canada..please tel m the how should we process my immigration..im a doctor in pakistan and doing govt job

tink23

Champion Member
Apr 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Santo Domingo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 23, 2012
File Transfer...
Oct 9, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Nov 26, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 4, 2012
m11nk said:
Aoa..im resident of pakistan& recently got married.my husband is pakistani too bt he has PR card and has a gud job in canada..please tel m the how should we process my immigration..im a doctor in pakistan and doing govt job
Your husband can sponsor you through family sponsorship. You will have to show proof that your relationship is genuine.

Once you gain PR you probably won't be able to work as a doctor for quite some time. I'd imagine that there are some courses you would have to take and processes you would have to complete before you are allowed to practice in Canada.

rs3710

Star Member
May 22, 2014
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-08-2014
AOR Received.
AOR1 : 16-09-2014 , SA : 30-10-2014
File Transfer...
AOR2: 14-11-2014, In Process : 01-07-2015
Med's Request
07-07-2015
Med's Done....
05-07-2014
Passport Req..
07-10-2015
We just mailed our spouse sponsorship application this week to Mississauga. I just got my Canada tourist visa couple of months back .My husband is Canadian citizen.I am living in USA on student visa. Is it fine to travel to Canada on tourist visa while my application is in process ?

tink23

Champion Member
Apr 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Santo Domingo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 23, 2012
File Transfer...
Oct 9, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Nov 26, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 4, 2012
rs3710 said:
We just mailed our spouse sponsorship application this week to Mississauga. I just got my Canada tourist visa couple of months back .My husband is Canadian citizen.I am living in USA on student visa. Is it fine to travel to Canada on tourist visa while my application is in process ?
Yes, that is perfectly fine, from a Canada stand point. Make sure it doesn't interfere with you student visa for the US, however, I don't see it posing an issue. If you're going to be in Canada for a long period of time, I would maybe send a quick email to CIC letting them know this.

Caroline T.

Oct 19, 2013
Australia
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06/202014
Med's Done....
01/11/2014
I have just received my sponsorship approval today, yay! however, it's an out of canada application and we requested for this visa office to be London, as my partner is Irish, but they chose the visa ofiice as ottawa which kinda sucks because the processing time is longer in ottawa :( Why is it that they chose Ottawa when we requested London?

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
Caroline T. said:
I have just received my sponsorship approval today, yay! however, it's an out of canada application and we requested for this visa office to be London, as my partner is Irish, but they chose the visa ofiice as ottawa which kinda sucks because the processing time is longer in ottawa :( Why is it that they chose Ottawa when we requested London?
actually it's not. currently applicants in ottawa are being approved in 3-6 months. there are 3 may applicants being processed in ottawa who have already been approved. it seems CIC is keeping files in canada to help with workflow. same is happening to syndey/paris applications - they are being processed in mississauga. i would encourage you to join the ottawa thread, there are more applicants similiar to you, and you can get a good idea as to how the process is in ottawa.

Caroline T.

Oct 19, 2013
Australia
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06/202014
Med's Done....
01/11/2014
rhcohen2014 said:
actually it's not. currently applicants in ottawa are being approved in 3-6 months. there are 3 may applicants being processed in ottawa who have already been approved. it seems CIC is keeping files in canada to help with workflow. same is happening to syndey/paris applications - they are being processed in mississauga. i would encourage you to join the ottawa thread, there are more applicants similiar to you, and you can get a good idea as to how the process is in ottawa.
oh awesome! thanks, I will join the ottawa thread, that's good to know I was a little disappointed as we're going back to Canada in December not knowing if we'll have PR approval by then, so hopefully even if we dont it wont take much longer after we're there.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
Caroline T. said:
oh awesome! thanks, I will join the ottawa thread, that's good to know I was a little disappointed as we're going back to Canada in December not knowing if we'll have PR approval by then, so hopefully even if we dont it wont take much longer after we're there.
just to note, i am not sure if the same timeframe is true for non-us citizsens being processed through ottawa. though, i don't think it'll be significantly longer...