+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Soft Landing + Immigration Rules

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hi .. just one question.. I have friends in Canada who are willing to courier the card to me .., just one point of concern... they all work and might not be at home ....,do they need to sign and acknowledge receipt or to they just deposit it in their mailbox ... if it’s the latter they will send it to me.. Please advise
1. It is sent regular mail, no signature required.

Taurean

Star Member
May 11, 2011
Importing CAR to Canada - Advice Needed for Soft Landing.

Information:
My car is in USA and I don't hold the title as I am still paying the installments to bank.
Currently, I reside in India and doing a soft landing from India to Canada and then back to India.
However, I have plans to go back to USA in coming months, then later, may be after 1 or 2 Years, will plan to settle in Canada. By that time, I will hold the title of the car. Also, my car KBB value will be max $4000 USD as its 2011 model.

Questions:
1. While soft-landing should I declare the car in goods to follow? Given that I don't have any documents in possession, like title on bank name etc.
All I can arrange is VIN number and Insurance document.
2. If I don't declare car at soft landing, and later import it, when I finally migrate to Canada. Can I exclude it from import duty?

I am soft-landing on 2nd December, coming Monday. Any advice!!!

erikaferns

Dec 26, 2018
Hi ,
I’ll be doing a soft landing on the 6th
I have a local Canadian address of a family friend to provide for the PR card.. I will however be leaving within a week and they’ve agreed to courier it to me .... someone said it’s not permitted to courier the card .. I’m a little unsure now.. kindly advise

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi ,
I’ll be doing a soft landing on the 6th
I have a local Canadian address of a family friend to provide for the PR card.. I will however be leaving within a week and they’ve agreed to courier it to me .... someone said it’s not permitted to courier the card .. I’m a little unsure now.. kindly advise
It is not illegal to post or courier the PR card out of Canada. Use of FedEx or DHL is recommended over Canada Post.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
I have a local Canadian address of a family friend to provide for the PR card.. I will however be leaving within a week and they’ve agreed to courier it to me .... someone said it’s not permitted to courier the card ..
The prudence of sending (by courier or otherwise) a PR card abroad depends as much, if not a lot more, on its destination. There is rather little reliable information reported here regarding much of the world. UK or EU destination, not likely any problem. Probably many, many other destinations which will not pose a problem. That said, there are probably more than a few destinations for which there is some risk.

NOTE: There are practical considerations as well as the legalities of importation laws in the destination country.

I am curious regarding your source for "someone said it’s not permitted to courier the card."

In contrast, there appears to be a cavalier, "I did it, it was OK, therefore it must not only work but must be legal" approach commonly espoused, which of course is contrary to what, apparently, someone has said to you. Unfortunately, as is too often the case here, much is repeated without citation or even a suggestion as to the source, let alone reliable or authoritative sources, so it can indeed sometimes be difficult to figure out what it is easy to get away doing versus what is legal or not, and versus whether there may be a risk lurking for some.

What I do know is that some countries have significantly more strict document importation laws than many others. Which countries do so currently is not something I am not keeping up with. I am also not acquainted with current enforcement policies or practices, which can factor into what the risks might be even in countries which technically might prohibit importation of this or that document.

Disclaimer: I tend to be more risk averse than many others. I like sure bets. I prefer to KNOW what the outcome will be, not just what it is likely to be. (Usually. Not so much so in regards to certain traffic regulations, for example, such as my speed when driving on the 401 or the QEW, but of course what is at risk, or more to the point what is not at risk, plays large in that calculation.) When I see what "usually" works, I think about Russian Roulette odds, and recognizing that an individual can confidently put the revolver to one's head and pull the trigger knowing that usually, by a big margin, all that happens is an empty click, but also knowing those are an utter fool's odds if and when there are serious consequences at stake, which is why no sane person recommends playing Russian Roulette, despite the very favourable odds, even if there is, say, a big pile of cash or even gold to gain.

Wishcan

Jun 15, 2019
I'm not sure what you mean but you do NOT need to have a PR card to leave Canada. Your friend or family member can courier it to you later.
I only stayed in Canada for about 4 days after my soft landing. My family couriered the card to me by FedEx.
Is fed ex safe?What if the courier is lost?

Wishcan

Jun 15, 2019
Im not sure you can decline the Pr card, having a Canadian mailing address and having the PR card sent there is part of the landing process. Getting a PRTD after a soft landing is not a problem, I got one myself within a week.
Where did u apply for prtd?Can we get it in a week?Can they ever deny for a prtd?

Mashraf1

Jan 10, 2020
Hi

1. No, but you have to reside in Canada for 3 years in every 5 year period.
I also landed for 2 weeks and now I am back in my original country. And was Thinking of moving next year 2021 instead of this year, I am worried that I might be asked why did it take me all that time to move permanently to canada

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
I also landed for 2 weeks and now I am back in my original country. And was Thinking of moving next year 2021 instead of this year, I am worried that I might be asked why did it take me all that time to move permanently to canada
Why are you worried given as long as you are not out of the country since your initial landing for 3 plus years then you can still meet the residency obligation of 2 out of 5 years by staying put for 2 years. Sure you might be asked by CBSA on entry how long you been away but if less than 3 years since soft landing and you have a valid PR card which you need (or a PRTD) anyway to board a plane you should be fine.

Canada has one of the more generous residency obligations to meet especially for new immigrants and there is an expectation that people may need time to move. As long as they follow the guidelines they are all fine.

By the way the 3 out 5 rule is for citizenship, PR residency is 2 out of 5

AlvaroP

Star Member
Oct 2, 2019
What happens when you have noone to courier your PR card back to where you are or you don't want to risk?

Can you travel again back to Canada after soft landing just with your CoPR?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
What happens when you have noone to courier your PR card back to where you are or you don't want to risk?

Can you travel again back to Canada after soft landing just with your CoPR?
No, you'll need either a PRTD or to cross the USA land border.