+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Soft Landing + Immigration Rules

LK009_LRE

May 30, 2019
Hi Guys,

i need to clarify a thing. I’ve got my PR in December 19 and planning to do a soft landing in Mid Feb. My deadline to complete my first visit to Canada is 11/Jul/2020. My question is can I reenter Canada (after soft landing) without the PR card before 11 July.

Thanks.

AlvaroP

Star Member
Oct 2, 2019
I guess you cannot reenter without the card, that's why you need to have it couriered.

Otherwise, I wonder what would happen if 1) you get the CoPR 2) do a soft landing and get your PR card delivered to a friend 3) leave and enter again the country again with your original passport one month later 4) go get your card at your friend's house.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
What happens when you have noone to courier your PR card back to where you are or you don't want to risk?

Can you travel again back to Canada after soft landing just with your CoPR?
i need to clarify a thing. I’ve got my PR in December 19 and planning to do a soft landing in Mid Feb. My deadline to complete my first visit to Canada is 11/Jul/2020. My question is can I reenter Canada (after soft landing) without the PR card before 11 July.
I guess you cannot reenter without the card, that's why you need to have it couriered.

Otherwise, I wonder what would happen if 1) you get the CoPR 2) do a soft landing and get your PR card delivered to a friend 3) leave and enter again the country again with your original passport one month later 4) go get your card at your friend's house.
Reminder: there is a big difference between what is involved in being allowed ENTRY into Canada versus what is required to TRAVEL to Canada.

ENTRY into Canada:

If a PR is able to travel to a Canadian PoE, upon arrival at the PoE the PR will be allowed to ENTER Canada when identity has been established and PR status verified. NO PARTICULAR DOCUMENT is required. However, a valid passport is ordinarily the primary document a traveler presents to establish identity. Once identity is established, PoE officials can verify PR status in their own system, BUT this goes better, and faster, if the PR also presents some additional proof of PR status. A CoPR is often mentioned as a good document to show PoE officials to facilitate their verification of the PR's identity and PR status. But an expired PR card also can be and often is used for this. And, virtually any communication from IRCC which is addressed to the PR, and references the PR's client number, should help PoE officials to verify identity and status.

Bottom-line: if a PR can physically get to a Canadian PoE the PR will be allowed to enter Canada. No PR card or PR Travel Document is needed.

TRAVEL to Canada:

If a PR can travel to Canada, get to Canada, the PR GETS IN.

The problem the PR abroad without a valid PR card faces is HOW to physically get to Canada. To board an airline flight headed to Canada a PR must present either a valid PR card or a PR Travel Document (with some exceptions; for example, this does not apply to PRs who are U.S. citizens).

If a PR has access to a private plane, for example (such as some Gaddafi family members did during the conflict in Libya nearly a decade ago), that will provide a means to get to Canada and upon arrival at a PoE the PR must be allowed entry. NOT many PRs have such resources.

The most common work-around employed by PRs abroad without a PR card, who for whatever reason do not want to apply for a PR Travel Document, is to fly to the U.S. and then travel by land to a land-crossing PoE. Where, again, they MUST be allowed entry into Canada.

NEW PRs In Particular (the soft-landing scenario):

When a PR visa is issued the immigrant has a limited period of time in which to get to Canada and complete the landing process. For many that is too soon to actually come to Canada to settle and stay. So they make a trip to Canada within that limited time, complete the landing process at a PoE, and then return to the country where they have been living. The plan is to later make the trip to Canada to settle and stay. This works as long as this is done in time to avoid a breach of the PR Residency Obligation. It is very common. It is so common that CBSA has a specific policy applicable to such new immigrants (regarding duty-free importation of personal and household goods).

Many PRs doing a soft-landing already have family in Canada, or a trusted friend, whose address they can provide to CBSA during the landing, an address where the PR card can be mailed. They trust the family member or friend to collect their mail, safeguard the PR card, and arrange to send the PR card to the new immigrant abroad. There are some risks involved in this but it is nonetheless a very common approach and for most this appears to work well.

If the landing PR can stay in Canada long enough to wait for and collect the PR card before returning to their home country, that works well. However, for the PR doing a soft-landing this is often not a practical approach. Many must return to employment in their home country too soon to wait for the PR card.

Thus some soft-landing PRs complete the landing process and return to their home country without a PR card and without arrangements to have a PR card sent to them abroad. These new PRs thus become a PR abroad without a valid PR card. They are subject to the rules which require a PR abroad to present either a valid PR card or PR Travel Document to obtain boarding on a flight headed to Canada.

Thus, the latter PRs will . . .
. . . need either a PRTD or to cross the USA land border.
Reminder: in addition to needing either a PRTD or to cross the USA land border (or a PR card if available), the new PR needs to come and stay in Canada in time to comply with the PR Residency Obligation. If a new PR is abroad, outside Canada, for more than 1096 days since landing, as of that day the PR is in breach of the RO.

Reactions: AlvaroP

Bina5

Dec 21, 2019
Hi,I will be doing my soft landing soon. I was reading online aboutGTA,GTF documents and i was not clear. Can anyone tell me if those documents can be obtained online and can be filled before the landing process, or is it only once we land we will be provided with these documents?

Bina5

Dec 21, 2019
I have booked my flight for soft landing and the when i got the ticket conformation, i got the following details:

"Your current flight itinerary includes travel to a country that requires additional passenger information.

Please note that if you are travelling to/from the U.S. and have already provided the required U.S. Transportation Security Administration (TSA)'s Security Flight Program passenger information on the Who is travelling page, you must also provide Advance Passenger Information (APIS) information prior to your departure.

We strongly encourage you to provide this information ahead of time from the comfort of your home or office with our secure online form".

I tried opening all the given links , but i don't find anywhere where i can provide advance passenger information ,can any one please tell me how they have provided the advance passenger information before: information:https://www.aircanada.com/content/aircanada/ca/en/aco/home/plan/travel-requirements/advance-passenger-information.html

Dimpy2

Star Member
Mar 15, 2019
Hi guys, I am planning to land Canada in march - mid. I have no idea on what documents to keep on hand while landing for the first time and what procedures to do.
Can anyone pls elaborate the process of first landing in Canada.
Thank you!

DraganaDO

Jun 2, 2019
Hi,I will be doing my soft landing soon. I was reading online aboutGTA,GTF documents and i was not clear. Can anyone tell me if those documents can be obtained online and can be filled before the landing process, or is it only once we land we will be provided with these documents?
Anyone help?

LK009_LRE

May 30, 2019
Hi, can someone please tell me is it mandatory to apply for SIN during the soft landing? We are planning to perform our soft landing during the Easter holidays (10th Apr to 13th Apr) and Service Canada Centers are closed for holidays. Can we get our SIN's at a later visit?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi, can someone please tell me is it mandatory to apply for SIN during the soft landing? We are planning to perform our soft landing during the Easter holidays (10th Apr to 13th Apr) and Service Canada Centers are closed for holidays. Can we get our SIN's at a later visit?
Not mandatory.

rktocanada

Mar 12, 2020
Hi all,

I want to gain some information on customs when doing the first landing. I have a camera kit with DSLRs and professional lenses. Do I have to pay duties/taxes on first entry?

Any help is really appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi all,

I want to gain some information on customs when doing the first landing. I have a camera kit with DSLRs and professional lenses. Do I have to pay duties/taxes on first entry?

Any help is really appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
No but if you have the receipts I would make sure to hang on to them so it is clear you purchased the equipment abroad.