+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Soft Landing + Immigration Rules

rktocanada

Mar 12, 2020
Would take some pictures with the date or at home to show that you had the item before moving to Canada. I wouldn’t be too worried.
Will do. Thanks.
Is anything taxable out of the lists - "things you are carrying" and "things to come"? Do items with higher value eye glaring to customs officer? I am asking these questions because I am not sure what qualifies the item that needs duty or tax to be paid.

raptora

Oct 22, 2018
Hi all,

Just received my COPR. My wife (Canadian citizen) is returning to Canada to work, though I won't be coming with her (yet). As a US citizen, am I still able to fly in as a visitor (just to see her), without starting the PR process?

pratikm23

Apr 5, 2020
Hi, In case someone does not have any relative or a friend in Canada and wants to do a soft landing, does he need to give any address for the PR Card? Can he leave it blank? so when he comes next he could travel with a PRTD?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Hi, In case someone does not have any relative or a friend in Canada and wants to do a soft landing, does he need to give any address for the PR Card? Can he leave it blank? so when he comes next he could travel with a PRTD?
No address means CBSA will not submit the application but tell you to apply later. So sure you can apply for a PRTD when you return home.

If you are planning to travel whilst the current emergency is in play keep in mind that a)soft landings are not considered essential travel in the current emergency and whilst can probably still land be aware of that when dealing with CBSA b)you will need to follow the mandatory 14 day quarantine on arrival.

Reactions: pratikm23

pratikm23

Apr 5, 2020
No address means CBSA will not submit the application but tell you to apply later. So sure you can apply for a PRTD when you return home.

If you are planning to travel whilst the current emergency is in play keep in mind that a)soft landings are not considered essential travel in the current emergency and whilst can probably still land be aware of that when dealing with CBSA b)you will need to follow the mandatory 14 day quarantine on arrival.
Thank you so much!

canadian_pr_1

Star Member
Jul 8, 2019
I have a question about the soft landing.We completed our soft landing on March 14.We didn't know about the " list of goods to follow", so didn't have one.As per my understanding, we will have to pay taxes on all the undeclared stuff we bring when we eventually move to Canada. Is there any other form we can/should fill to hopefully avoid this? Appreciate any guidance

Thanks

juvelle

Jul 18, 2017
Hi All,

Has anyone got a response from IRCC after their visa has been expired? Do they ask to get a PCC and Medicals done again ?

Thanks

ExpressoEntry

Star Member
Jun 30, 2018
I have a question about the soft landing.We completed our soft landing on March 14.We didn't know about the " list of goods to follow", so didn't have one.As per my understanding, we will have to pay taxes on all the undeclared stuff we bring when we eventually move to Canada. Is there any other form we can/should fill to hopefully avoid this? Appreciate any guidance

Thanks
you can do the goods to follow any time you want when you decide to move permanently to canada. Infact as long as you stay out of canada for a year you can do goods to follow and take things into the country without any taxes any number of times. Only catch i heard is if you are a former resident and you are returning back is that you can't import car valued over 10k CDN but can import everything else. But this should not apply in your case as you never resided there permanently.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/mrc-drc-eng.html

Reactions: canadian_pr_1

canadian_pr_1

Star Member
Jul 8, 2019
you can do the goods to follow any time you want when you decide to move permanently to canada. Infact as long as you stay out of canada for a year you can do goods to follow and take things into the country without any taxes any number of times. Only catch i heard is if you are a former resident and you are returning back is that you can't import car valued over 10k CDN but can import everything else. But this should not apply in your case as you never resided there permanently.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/mrc-drc-eng.html
thanks for taking the time to respond!