+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Soft Landing + Immigration Rules

NiSn

Mar 17, 2018
Hi All
I am planning a soft landing in end of october/early november and wanted clarity on below

a) The photos for PR Card will be the ones that we submit at airport while immigration is it correct? Ive heard from my friends that many a times these photos are rejected later on. Now, in case the photos are rejected and we are back in India, how does the procedure work from there on?
b) Any reliable source from where we should get the photographs done in India to reduce chances of rejection?
c) We plan to land in Toronto, but will provide address of Edmonton for PR Card. Will that be fine? It is a relative's address.
d) Will it be safe for our relatives to ship the PR Card to us in India? What if it is stolen or lost somewhere? Are there work arounds in that case?
e) For soft landing, we just have to apply for PR Card and for SIN and both will be done at the airport. There is nothing else that we need to do before returning back?

John013

Jun 17, 2017
The Netherlands
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Vienna
App. Filed.......
29-05-2017
AOR Received.
27-06-2017
File Transfer...
03-07-2017
Med's Request
02-11-2017
Med's Done....
06-11-2017
VISA ISSUED...
31-08-2018
LANDED..........
06-10-2018
Hi All
I am planning a soft landing in end of october/early november and wanted clarity on below

a) The photos for PR Card will be the ones that we submit at airport while immigration is it correct? Ive heard from my friends that many a times these photos are rejected later on. Now, in case the photos are rejected and we are back in India, how does the procedure work from there on?
b) Any reliable source from where we should get the photographs done in India to reduce chances of rejection?
c) We plan to land in Toronto, but will provide address of Edmonton for PR Card. Will that be fine? It is a relative's address.
d) Will it be safe for our relatives to ship the PR Card to us in India? What if it is stolen or lost somewhere? Are there work arounds in that case?
e) For soft landing, we just have to apply for PR Card and for SIN and both will be done at the airport. There is nothing else that we need to do before returning back?
No, they use the pictures you sent to the VO. They will not take or ask for pictures when landing. Any address in Canada is fine. Safety of shipping a PR card depends on shipping company used and country of destination, if you go with UPS or so you should be fine. In case you need new pictures, any photographer is acceptable as long as he sticks to the specifications outlined by IRCC. PR card and SIN are basically the most important things to get you started in Canada.

evdm

Jun 16, 2017
Hi All

The photos you submitted will be attached to your CoPR and you'll use these documents to land. In my case, the photo was rejected and I had to send new photos by mail to an IRCC office in Canada before the card was issued.

You can provide any address in Canada to receive your PR Card, though there is potential for complications if you are using an address in Quebec and you don't have the additional documents the province requires for new immigrants. In your case, Edmonton, Alberta should be fine.

There's always a risk sending official documents through the post, or with a courier. If they are lost or stolen then you should report them as such. Here's what IRCC recommends in that case: http://www.cic.gc.ca/English/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=047&top=10

Finally, Don't count on always being able to get your SIN at the airport. Office hours are limited and you could very well land outside of a time that there's a Service Canada employee available to apply.

Last edited:

Pritom Sarker

Dec 12, 2018
No you can do a soft landing. Only need a PR card to enter the Canada. You should probably sort out your mobile phone stuff when you settle permanently in Canada. Also don't sign up for healthcare until you move permanently. It's not on your list but thought I would mention that. Some people try to sort out their drivers license but not necessary. Best of luck.
Why signing up for healthcare wouldn’t be a good idea?

GetLucky8888

Star Member
Jan 12, 2019
Hi Everyone,

I'm planning to do a soft landing next month, and I'll be staying in a hotel. In the Good Accompanying and Goods to Follow List, I need to fill out the Importer Address. So would it be OK to leave my hotel's address here? What about later I move to other address?

Thanks!!!

GetLucky8888

Star Member
Jan 12, 2019
Regarding gold, I took clear photos and set them into a page with the Canadian amount they stamped those pages.
Hi Mohtasim,

I'm working on the Goods to Follow list now, do you know how to fill out "Importer's Address" in the form? I don't have a Canadian Residential address yet, and I plan to do a soft landing next month.

Thanks in advance!

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi Everyone,

I'm planning to do a soft landing next month, and I'll be staying in a hotel. In the Good Accompanying and Goods to Follow List, I need to fill out the Importer Address. So would it be OK to leave my hotel's address here? What about later I move to other address?

Thanks!!!
Hi Mohtasim,

I'm working on the Goods to Follow list now, do you know how to fill out "Importer's Address" in the form? I don't have a Canadian Residential address yet, and I plan to do a soft landing next month.

Thanks in advance!
You are not eligible to submit a goods accompanying or goods to follow when doing a "soft landing".
You must be entering with the intention of settlement for at least one year, in order to qualify for the "Settler" tariff.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d2/d2-2-1-eng.html

Variation Between Customs/Immigration Legislation
9. A person's status for customs purposes is not always the same as their status for immigration purposes.

10. As an example, a person can become a permanent resident without the intention of residing immediately in Canada. However, this person is not determined to be a settler as defined in the customs legislation, and be eligible for the provisions of tariff item No. 9807.00.00. In this case, since the person does not have any intention of remaining in Canada at that time, and will live outside Canada for an undetermined period of time, that person is considered a non-resident of Canada and not a settler, for the purpose of the Customs Tariff, and is eligible to temporarily import goods under tariff item No. 9803.00.00.

Last edited:

GetLucky8888

Star Member
Jan 12, 2019
You are not eligible to submit a goods accompanying or goods to follow when doing a "soft landing".
You must be entering with the intention of settlement for at least one year, in order to qualify for the "Settler" tariff.
Thanks, but I heard that we're requested to submit those lists at the first entry to Canada. So I'm a bit confused.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Thanks, but I heard that we're requested to submit those lists at the first entry to Canada. So I'm a bit confused.
I updated the post with a link to the CBSA document.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
I'm planning to do a soft landing next month, and I'll be staying in a hotel. In the Good Accompanying and Goods to Follow List, I need to . . .
I heard that we're requested to submit those lists at the first entry to Canada. So I'm a bit confused.
IN CONTRAST to what has been widely, almost universally reported, the CBSA information linked and referenced above, by @zardoz, suggests that IN SOME CASES the landing immigrant is NOT eligible to import goods as a settler at the time of landing, and thus NEITHER list/form for goods to be imported is to be processed at that time, but to be processed WHEN the immigrant arrives to actually stay, to settle in Canada for at least a year.

IN CONTRAST, so far as I have seen, IRCC information suggests that the Goods to Follow list/form should be presented ONLY at the time of LANDING. And it does so specifically, explicitly, and with NO hint of exceptions.

Moreover, virtually every law firm and organizational website with information for new immigrants to Canada is the same. Goods to Follow are to be declared at the time of "LANDING," with virtually no hint otherwise.

But again, IN CONTRAST, the CBSA information linked and referenced above, suggests that IN SOME CASES the landing immigrant is NOT eligible to import goods as a settler at the time of landing, and thus NEITHER list/form for goods to be imported is to be processed at that time, but to be processed WHEN the immigrant arrives to actually stay, to settle in Canada for at least a year.

How this works in practice is NOT clear. Perhaps there is more in-depth discussion in the group of topics specifically about settling.

This was the subject of a recent discussion in another topic. My impression is that the CBSA guide information may be, or even probably is NEWS to many who are otherwise well acquainted with "soft landing" procedures. Until that recent discussion (just days ago), I recall NO other observations here, let alone discussions or cautions, about this in reference to doing a "soft landing."

This is NOT a subject I follow. I became involved in that other discussion for a separate reason. That said, given how pervasive the information is about presenting and processing the Goods to Follow list AT the TIME of LANDING, this seems to be something that is rife with RISKS of things going awry.

That is, even though this is not a subject I am much acquainted with, I readily recognize the potential for confusion and the RISK of problems looming here. (I imported household items, personal items, including many declared as Goods to Follow, and a vehicle, attendant my immigration well over a decade ago, and only researched what was peculiar to me, mostly meaning the details about importing a vehicle. And I have not followed those issues much since.)

ESPECIALLY since the available information, until now, has so thoroughly reinforced doing the goods importation process AT THE TIME of LANDING.

And even now, other than the CBSA guide itself (which is actually ambiguous), information posted at a wiki site, and the forum participant referencing both, and now the reference here by @zardoz, I have NOT seen anecdotal reports of experience with this . . . the other forum participant is the only one I have seen claim to do the process for importing goods LATER than the date of landing (that forum participant references others doing this as well, but without any specificity).

Indeed, in over a hundred posts in this specific topic about doing a "soft landing," before today there was NO mention of importing goods as a settler at a date AFTER the date of landing, except pursuant to declaring Goods to Follow AT the TIME of LANDING.

Actually there are very few references to declaring goods being imported for those doing a "soft landing," but the following is typical among those few:

goods to follow and goods accompanied lists are for first entry only.
What to make of this? For those potentially affected, I'd suggest exercising some caution and doing some homework.

Among the RISKS is whether CBSA could rule that a PR who did not declare Goods to Follow at the time of landing can import goods later without paying duty. This can be more complicated than it seems on the surface given there are also rules governing which goods a settler can import duty free, such as the rules related to ownership, possession, and use, AND the RELEVANT DATE for determining the goods meet these rules. This is BEYOND the scope of what I ordinarily discuss.

For example, noting again it has been a long while, but my understanding was that a new PR is not entitled to the exemption from duty for any goods purchased or obtained AFTER the date the PR becomes a PR (or perhaps the date the PR visa was issued? and for sure, for Inland applicants, it is the date the individual actually made the PR application which is the cutoff). If the goods being declared for importation under the exemption for a new settler are not declared until some date well after the date of landing, what is the relevant cutoff date? and if it is an earlier date, to what extent might it be necessary to document ownership, possession, and use PRIOR to that cutoff date, when the date of declaring the goods is much later?

This does not scratch the surface of what questions can arise or how they will be determined relative to the landing immigrant's "intentions." After all, a landing immigrant can intend that trip to be the first step in settling PERMANENTLY (let alone for at least a year) even though that specific entry is just a first step in that process. It is NOT as if the landing PR must intend to STAY in Canada, without leaving, for at least a year to qualify for the household and personal goods duty exemption.

THERE MUST BE SOME REASON why so many sources, including IRCC, make NO MENTION of declaring goods to import at any time LATER than the date of landing.

Would be good to see some anecdotal reporting from immigrants who have actually dealt with this issue . . . those who processed their goods importation lists attendant a "soft" landing, and especially any who did the declaration of goods at a LATER date, who did not process a Goods to Follow list at the time of landing.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
IN CONTRAST to what has been widely, almost universally reported, the CBSA information linked and referenced above, by @zardoz, suggests that IN SOME CASES the landing immigrant is NOT eligible to import goods as a settler at the time of landing, and thus NEITHER list/form for goods to be imported is to be processed at that time, but to be processed WHEN the immigrant arrives to actually stay, to settle in Canada for at least a year.

IN CONTRAST, so far as I have seen, IRCC information suggests that the Goods to Follow list/form should be presented ONLY at the time of LANDING. And it does so specifically, explicitly, and with NO hint of exceptions.

Moreover, virtually every law firm and organizational website with information for new immigrants to Canada is the same. Goods to Follow are to be declared at the time of "LANDING," with virtually no hint otherwise.

But again, IN CONTRAST, the CBSA information linked and referenced above, suggests that IN SOME CASES the landing immigrant is NOT eligible to import goods as a settler at the time of landing, and thus NEITHER list/form for goods to be imported is to be processed at that time, but to be processed WHEN the immigrant arrives to actually stay, to settle in Canada for at least a year.

How this works in practice is NOT clear. Perhaps there is more in-depth discussion in the group of topics specifically about settling.

This was the subject of a recent discussion in another topic. My impression is that the CBSA guide information may be, or even probably is NEWS to many who are otherwise well acquainted with "soft landing" procedures. Until that recent discussion (just days ago), I recall NO other observations here, let alone discussions or cautions, about this in reference to doing a "soft landing."

This is NOT a subject I follow. I became involved in that other discussion for a separate reason. That said, given how pervasive the information is about presenting and processing the Goods to Follow list AT the TIME of LANDING, this seems to be something that is rife with RISKS of things going awry.

That is, even though this is not a subject I am much acquainted with, I readily recognize the potential for confusion and the RISK of problems looming here. (I imported household items, personal items, including many declared as Goods to Follow, and a vehicle, attendant my immigration well over a decade ago, and only researched what was peculiar to me, mostly meaning the details about importing a vehicle. And I have not followed those issues much since.)

ESPECIALLY since the available information, until now, has so thoroughly reinforced doing the goods importation process AT THE TIME of LANDING.

And even now, other than the CBSA guide itself (which is actually ambiguous), information posted at a wiki site, and the forum participant referencing both, and now the reference here by @zardoz, I have NOT seen anecdotal reports of experience with this . . . the other forum participant is the only one I have seen claim to do the process for importing goods LATER than the date of landing (that forum participant references others doing this as well, but without any specificity).

Indeed, in over a hundred posts in this specific topic about doing a "soft landing," before today there was NO mention of importing goods as a settler at a date AFTER the date of landing, except pursuant to declaring Goods to Follow AT the TIME of LANDING.

Actually there are very few references to declaring goods being imported for those doing a "soft landing," but the following is typical among those few:

What to make of this? For those potentially affected, I'd suggest exercising some caution and doing some homework.

Among the RISKS is whether CBSA could rule that a PR who did not declare Goods to Follow at the time of landing can import goods later without paying duty. This can be more complicated than it seems on the surface given there are also rules governing which goods a settler can import duty free, such as the rules related to ownership, possession, and use, AND the RELEVANT DATE for determining the goods meet these rules. This is BEYOND the scope of what I ordinarily discuss.

For example, noting again it has been a long while, but my understanding was that a new PR is not entitled to the exemption from duty for any goods purchased or obtained AFTER the date the PR becomes a PR (or perhaps the date the PR visa was issued? and for sure, for Inland applicants, it is the date the individual actually made the PR application which is the cutoff). If the goods being declared for importation under the exemption for a new settler are not declared until some date well after the date of landing, what is the relevant cutoff date? and if it is an earlier date, to what extent might it be necessary to document ownership, possession, and use PRIOR to that cutoff date, when the date of declaring the goods is much later?

This does not scratch the surface of what questions can arise or how they will be determined relative to the landing immigrant's "intentions." After all, a landing immigrant can intend that trip to be the first step in settling PERMANENTLY (let alone for at least a year) even though that specific entry is just a first step in that process. It is NOT as if the landing PR must intend to STAY in Canada, without leaving, for at least a year to qualify for the household and personal goods duty exemption.

THERE MUST BE SOME REASON why so many sources, including IRCC, make NO MENTION of declaring goods to import at any time LATER than the date of landing.

Would be good to see some anecdotal reporting from immigrants who have actually dealt with this issue . . . those who processed their goods importation lists attendant a "soft" landing, and especially any who did the declaration of goods at a LATER date, who did not process a Goods to Follow list at the time of landing.
Another source of clarification is actually the bsf186 form itself, where you have to make the following declaration at the time of submission.

Note that is does NOT state "I will be entering Canada" but instead states "I am entering Canada", with the appropriate date information.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/bsf186-eng.html

SETTLER (tariff item No. 9807.00.00)
I hereby declare that I have read and qualify for the provisions of tariff item No. 9807.00.00 and that:

1. I am entering Canada with the intention of establishing, for the first time, a permanent residence for a period in excess of 12 months and I arrived in Canada on (date).
  2. With the exception of wedding gifts, bride's trousseau, alcoholic beverages andtobacco products described in the Tariff Item No. 9807.00.00 Exemption Order, all household and personal effects imported or to be imported by me under this tariff item have actually been owned, possessed, and used abroad by me prior to the date of my arrival in Canada.
  3. All goods imported are my personal or household property and they will not be used in Canada for any commercial purpose.
  4. If any item is sold or otherwise disposed of in Canada within 12 months of the date of its importation, I will notify a CBSA Office of such fact and pay all duties owing at the time.
Signature of Importer
Signed at (place) on (date) (Signature of Importer)

(I did not submit the forms at time of my soft landing but only when I arrived to actually settle, in accordance with the above)

Reactions: dpenabill

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Another source of clarification is actually the bsf186 form itself, where you have to make the following declaration at the time of submission.

Note that is does NOT state "I will be entering Canada" but instead states "I am entering Canada", with the appropriate date information.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/bsf186-eng.html

SETTLER (tariff item No. 9807.00.00)
I hereby declare that I have read and qualify for the provisions of tariff item No. 9807.00.00 and that:

1. I am entering Canada with the intention of establishing, for the first time, a permanent residence for a period in excess of 12 months and I arrived in Canada on (date).
  2. With the exception of wedding gifts, bride's trousseau, alcoholic beverages andtobacco products described in the Tariff Item No. 9807.00.00 Exemption Order, all household and personal effects imported or to be imported by me under this tariff item have actually been owned, possessed, and used abroad by me prior to the date of my arrival in Canada.
  3. All goods imported are my personal or household property and they will not be used in Canada for any commercial purpose.
  4. If any item is sold or otherwise disposed of in Canada within 12 months of the date of its importation, I will notify a CBSA Office of such fact and pay all duties owing at the time.
Signature of Importer
Signed at (place) on (date) (Signature of Importer)

(I did not submit the forms at time of my soft landing but only when I arrived to actually settle, in accordance with the above)
This mostly clarifies things. Which is good. Very good.

And for those who are doing a soft landing, probably important . . . especially anyone who will later be bringing much of value to Canada.

Does not illuminate or explain the near universal (here, literally until this last week) information that the forms for importing goods as an immigrant should be presented and processed at the time of landing.

The so-called "soft-landing" process has been discussed at length here for years, in hundreds of posts, without addressing this. About time.

erikaferns

Dec 26, 2018
I'm not sure what you mean but you do NOT need to have a PR card to leave Canada. Your friend or family member can courier it to you later.
I only stayed in Canada for about 4 days after my soft landing. My family couriered the card to me by FedEx.
Hi .. just one question.. I have friends in Canada who are willing to courier the card to me .., just one point of concern... they all work and might not be at home ....,do they need to sign and acknowledge receipt or to they just deposit it in their mailbox ... if it’s the latter they will send it to me.. Please advise