Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
15-10-2019
AOR Received.
03-12-2019
Med's Done....
23-10-2019
15 days requirement is mainly for ppl coming over from the US. Since, I don't think that you are even allowed to fly back before the quarantine period.
It's for every foreign national, regardless of where they are coming from.

The Canada Border Services Agency is announcing that as of June 8, 2020 23:59 EDT, foreign nationals who are immediate family members of Canadian citizens and permanent residents, and who do not have COVID-19 or exhibit any signs or symptoms of COVID-19, or who do not have reason to believe they have COVID-19, will be exempt from the prohibition on entry to Canada if entering to be with an immediate family member for a period of at least 15 days.

abdulzeedo

Star Member
Jun 23, 2019
It's for every foreign national, regardless of where they are coming from.

The Canada Border Services Agency is announcing that as of June 8, 2020 23:59 EDT, foreign nationals who are immediate family members of Canadian citizens and permanent residents, and who do not have COVID-19 or exhibit any signs or symptoms of COVID-19, or who do not have reason to believe they have COVID-19, will be exempt from the prohibition on entry to Canada if entering to be with an immediate family member for a period of at least 15 days.
True in that sense off course. What I meant to say is that the proof that you are planning to stay in Canad for at least 15 days is required mainly from people crossing the US-Canada border. Since usually a return flight is enough... this is what the CBSA officer told me over the phone.

Laurahd

Jun 26, 2019
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
15-10-2019
AOR Received.
03-12-2019
Med's Done....
23-10-2019
True in that sense off course. What I meant to say is that the proof that you are planning to stay in Canad for at least 15 days is required mainly from people crossing the US-Canada border. Since usually a return flight is enough... this is what the CBSA officer told me over the phone.
Well, in both cases, you're showing a proof, no?

inapickle

Feb 18, 2020
Hi everyone! I have a question regarding the "non-optional or non-discretionary" from IRCC. what happens if there is a pending Outland application for my husband and I am currently in Canada and Im about to give birth to our child (in 3 months time). Is this considered "non-optional or non-discretionary"? How would we let the immigration officer know or how do we obtain the authorization letter from the officer? The website wasn't very clear so I'm hoping someone could help clarify.

kylelowry

Star Member
Jun 6, 2019
Hi everyone! I have a question regarding the "non-optional or non-discretionary" from IRCC. what happens if there is a pending Outland application for my husband and I am currently in Canada and Im about to give birth to our child (in 3 months time). Is this considered "non-optional or non-discretionary"? How would we let the immigration officer know or how do we obtain the authorization letter from the officer? The website wasn't very clear so I'm hoping someone could help clarify.
You don't need an essential reason to travel now

ryester

Champion Member
Oct 11, 2018
it is hard to say if this situation is essential. but if you husband has valid visa, he can come after 6.8 if he plans to stay for 15 days or longer and has a quarantine plan

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Assume your spouse doesn't have a TRV and is not from a visa exempt country.

Dude29

Star Member
Dec 23, 2019
Just saw this on IRCC's website...

"Exception: An immediate family member of a Canadian citizen or permanent resident who is staying in Canada for at least 15 days is exempt and can travel to Canada for any purpose."

Basically our spouses can travel to Canada for any purpose. Yeah, I understand spouse still needs TRV but you don't need to prove that your spouse is coming here for a "non-optional or non-discretionary" purpose.

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
Has anyone managed to land in Canada with a TRV this week? If so, please share your experience.
My children landed on June 9 as PRs (both are over 18) accompanied by my mother who is on a TRV. As soon as the changes to the ban were announced, we got them tickets via ANA Air. No letters needed, my mother provided a photocopy of my PR card and my original birth certificate as proof of relationship.

ryester

Champion Member
Oct 11, 2018
My children landed on June 9 as PRs (both are over 18) accompanied by my mother who is on a TRV. As soon as the changes to the ban were announced, we got them tickets via ANA Air. No letters needed, my mother provided a photocopy of my PR card and my original birth certificate as proof of relationship.
Congratulations! Happy for you and your families!

dreamon2019

Star Member
Mar 30, 2019
Congratulations and thanks for the information.
I also see from this forum that called CBSA got confirmed reply that immediate family member now allowed to enter Canada.

Unfortunately, I sent 1 email to CBSA, and replied once more, got same reply from CBSA by email:
I've quoted the latest news release from CBSA website, but they still reply same:
To me, it's not good no confirmed answer from different channel. - which means I get following reply from email, but someone said CBSA confirmed immediate family member can enter Canada without "essential reason" in the phone call.

Here's 2nd reply from CBSA: here's the post: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/still-essential-travel-only.690677/

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) is committed to limiting the spread of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in Canada, while facilitating travel and trade.​
During this time, we are limiting travel to essential travel only. We are asking individuals not to travel at this time if it is not deemed essential. Non-essential travel includes, but is not limited to: tourism, recreation, and/or sight-seeing. Essential travel may be defined as, but is not limited to: economic services and supply chains; critical infrastructure support; health (immediate medical care), safety and security; transiting through Canada for essential purposes; indigenous communities; cross-border employment; tending to family matters for essential purposes; and shopping for essential goods such as medication or basic needs.​
As of April 22, there continues to be a temporary restriction on all non-essential travel at the Canada-U.S. border. This restriction has been extended until June 21, 2020, and can be prolonged as necessary for public health reasons.​
Note that there are several factors that border services officers (BSOs) must take into account before determining whether a person is admissible into Canada, and each person will be dealt with in person on a case-by-case basis. The burden of proof rests with the foreign national seeking entry to Canada to satisfy the BSO they are admissible in accordance with the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and Regulations. Complying with documentary requirements does not guarantee entry into Canada. The following page on the CBSA website provides additional information on this:​
Please refer to the following website for more information regarding travel restrictions and exemptions for immediate family members due to COVID-19:​
For the most up to date information on COVID-19:​
Contact the COVID-19 telephone information line: 1-833-784-4397​
Interpretation services are available in multiple languages for those who do not speak English or French.​
The CBSA answers general questions about the programs and services it offers. Please note that the following elements are removed from incoming e-mails:​
hyperlinks.​
If you included any of the above in your e-mail to the CBSA, that element has been removed.​
Thank you for contacting the Canada Border Services Agency.​