+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Still "Essential Travel" ONLY?

dreamon2019

Star Member
Mar 30, 2019
After 8-JUN, the changes is published:
https://www.canada.ca/en/border-services-agency/news/2020/06/changes-to-travel-restrictions-for-immediate-family-members-of-canadian-citizens-and-permanent-residents.html

Then, I sent an email, asked what kind of documents CBSA will accept to proof "common-law partner".
But their reply is below:
replied on 11-JUNE-2020:

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) is committed to limiting the spread of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in Canada, while facilitating travel and trade.

During this time, we are limiting travel to essential travel only. We are asking individuals not to travel at this time if it is not deemed essential. Non-essential travel includes, but is not limited to: tourism, recreation, and/or sight-seeing. Essential travel may be defined as, but is not limited to: economic services and supply chains; critical infrastructure support; health (immediate medical care), safety and security; transiting through Canada for essential purposes; indigenous communities; cross-border employment; tending to family matters for essential purposes; and shopping for essential goods such as medication or basic needs.

As of April 22, there continues to be a temporary restriction on all non-essential travel at the Canada-U.S. border. This restriction has been extended until June 21, 2020, and can be prolonged as necessary for public health reasons.

Under Order in Council 7, which came into effect on March 26, 2020, foreign nationals are currently prohibited from entering Canada if they arrive from a foreign country other than the United States, with some exceptions.

This order is currently effective until June 30, 2020.

Please refer to the following website for more information regarding travel restrictions and exemptions for immediate family members due to coronavirus disease (COVID-19):

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/travel-restrictions-exemptions.html

For the most up to date information on COVID-19:

· Visit www.canada.ca/coronavirus
· Contact the COVID-19 telephone information line: 1-833-784-4397
o Interpretation services are available in multiple languages for those who do not speak English or French.
· Email: phac.covid19.aspc@canada.ca
Thank you for contacting the Canada Border Services Agency.

ryester

Champion Member
Oct 11, 2018
After 8-JUN, the changes is published:
https://www.canada.ca/en/border-services-agency/news/2020/06/changes-to-travel-restrictions-for-immediate-family-members-of-canadian-citizens-and-permanent-residents.html

Then, I sent an email, asked what kind of documents CBSA will accept to proof "common-law partner".
But their reply is below:
replied on 11-JUNE-2020:

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) is committed to limiting the spread of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in Canada, while facilitating travel and trade.

During this time, we are limiting travel to essential travel only. We are asking individuals not to travel at this time if it is not deemed essential. Non-essential travel includes, but is not limited to: tourism, recreation, and/or sight-seeing. Essential travel may be defined as, but is not limited to: economic services and supply chains; critical infrastructure support; health (immediate medical care), safety and security; transiting through Canada for essential purposes; indigenous communities; cross-border employment; tending to family matters for essential purposes; and shopping for essential goods such as medication or basic needs.

As of April 22, there continues to be a temporary restriction on all non-essential travel at the Canada-U.S. border. This restriction has been extended until June 21, 2020, and can be prolonged as necessary for public health reasons.

Under Order in Council 7, which came into effect on March 26, 2020, foreign nationals are currently prohibited from entering Canada if they arrive from a foreign country other than the United States, with some exceptions.

This order is currently effective until June 30, 2020.

Please refer to the following website for more information regarding travel restrictions and exemptions for immediate family members due to coronavirus disease (COVID-19):

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/travel-restrictions-exemptions.html

For the most up to date information on COVID-19:

· Visit www.canada.ca/coronavirus
· Contact the COVID-19 telephone information line: 1-833-784-4397
o Interpretation services are available in multiple languages for those who do not speak English or French.
· Email: phac.covid19.aspc@canada.ca
Thank you for contacting the Canada Border Services Agency.
Call them directly to clarify. CBSA reply may be just a general reply.

Last edited:

dreamon2019

Star Member
Mar 30, 2019
Call them directly to clarify. CBSA reply may be just a general reply.
Maybe, but even "general reply" shall follow and keep one-voice through channels or latest changes.
It is not good at all of their behaviour, especially in this situation for those eager to see family members.
CBSA published changes, but they tell different answers via email which is able to keep as proof, on the other hand, they tell another answer via phone call.

I also see someone's immediate family member entered Canada by TRV.
Anyway, thanks for the info.

ryester

Champion Member
Oct 11, 2018
Maybe, but even "general reply" shall follow and keep one-voice through channels or latest changes.
It is not good at all of their behaviour, especially in this situation for those eager to see family members.
CBSA published changes, but they tell different answers via email which is able to keep as proof, on the other hand, they tell another answer via phone call.

I also see someone's immediate family member entered Canada by TRV.
Anyway, thanks for the info.
The general rule is very clear, you can see immediate family members who came to Canada after 6.8 without any problems if met the requirement (essential travel is not blocker anymore).

That is why I ask you to call directly to tell CBSA your situation, because they are the ultimate authorities to decide whether your partner will be allowed to enter Canada or not. Better to be safe than sorry. Good luck!

dreamon2019

Star Member
Mar 30, 2019
The general rule is very clear, you can see immediate family members who came to Canada after 6.8 without any problems if met the requirement (essential travel is not blocker anymore).

That is why I ask you to call directly to tell CBSA your situation, because they are the ultimate authorities to decide whether your partner will be allowed to enter Canada or not. Better to be safe than sorry. Good luck!
Thanks for your reply.
I know in Canada, we can always meet the situation: one question to different persons in same orgnanization, get different answers.

Since I am trying to proof the "common law partner" relationship, to satisfy air agency and CBSA, I thought if they (CBSA) can give a clear accepted document list will be good. Coz I've heard at least 1 case, before the immediate family member check-in ari plane, the airline company called CBSA got allowed, so the airline agency agreed the family member check in and get on plane, but the family member denied to enter by CBSA after landed on Canada.

So.... you know I tried to get email replies as proof from CBSA officially, but not phone....

But now, I think the best way is...we wait longer...
Thanks again.