+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Show that you’re travelling to Canada for an essential reason

kylelowry

Star Member
Jun 6, 2019
**LONG POST ALERT**

We submitted our spousal application in November 2019 and have passed Sponsor Approval, Medical and Bio-metrics. PA is Sri Lankan and is currently studying for her Masters in Singapore. Due to Covid all her classes and exams have been changed to online and will finish her program in May. Today, it was announced that Singapore would be on lockdown from Tuesday.

We were evaluating the option of her coming to Canada on her visit visa (which she already has), as she has no reason to remain in Singapore and she cannot go to her home country as Sri Lanka is also on lockdown (airport shutdown).

When browsing through the Canadian website, we came across the following statement -

Immediate family members of Canadian citizens and permanent residents
To board your flight to Canada, you must

• have your health checked by airline officials to confirm that you don’t have symptoms of COVID‑19, including a fever, a cough and difficulty breathing
    • Anyone showing symptoms will not be allowed to board.
  • tell the airline that you’re exempt from the travel restrictions
  • show that you’re travelling to Canada for an essential reason and not for reasons that are optional or non-essential, such as tourism, recreation or entertainment
  • present proof to show that you’re an immediate family member of a Canadian citizen or Canadian permanent resident
  • make sure you have a valid travel document (visitor visa or eTA) and a valid passport to fly to Canada
Now, my question is how would she justify that this travel is essential to immigration. Is it better to get a written authorization from IRCC so she can travel without any issues? if so can someone guide me on how to obtain it?

Seniors; your assistance is highly appreciated. apologies for the long post.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
**LONG POST ALERT**

We submitted our spousal application in November 2019 and have passed Sponsor Approval, Medical and Bio-metrics. PA is Sri Lankan and is currently studying for her Masters in Singapore. Due to Covid all her classes and exams have been changed to online and will finish her program in May. Today, it was announced that Singapore would be on lockdown from Tuesday.

We were evaluating the option of her coming to Canada on her visit visa (which she already has), as she has no reason to remain in Singapore and she cannot go to her home country as Sri Lanka is also on lockdown (airport shutdown).

When browsing through the Canadian website, we came across the following statement -

Immediate family members of Canadian citizens and permanent residents
To board your flight to Canada, you must

• have your health checked by airline officials to confirm that you don’t have symptoms of COVID‑19, including a fever, a cough and difficulty breathing
    • Anyone showing symptoms will not be allowed to board.
  • tell the airline that you’re exempt from the travel restrictions
  • show that you’re travelling to Canada for an essential reason and not for reasons that are optional or non-essential, such as tourism, recreation or entertainment
  • present proof to show that you’re an immediate family member of a Canadian citizen or Canadian permanent resident
  • make sure you have a valid travel document (visitor visa or eTA) and a valid passport to fly to Canada
Now, my question is how would she justify that this travel is essential to immigration. Is it better to get a written authorization from IRCC so she can travel without any issues? if so can someone guide me on how to obtain it?

Seniors; your assistance is highly appreciated. apologies for the long post.
IRCC won't give you written authorization. That part isn't possible.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Ok so does that mean she cannot travel here without a PR ?
No - it doesn't mean that. She can travel on a TRV since she has a family member who is Canadian. However she needs to show the following:

- show that you’re travelling to Canada for an essential reason and not for reasons that are optional or non-essential, such as tourism, recreation or entertainment

kylelowry

Star Member
Jun 6, 2019
No - it doesn't mean that. She can travel on a TRV since she has a family member who is Canadian. However she needs to show the following:

- show that you’re travelling to Canada for an essential reason and not for reasons that are optional or non-essential, such as tourism, recreation or entertainment
Yes. But that's what I'm trying to understand. How is visiting her husband who is a PR holder be essential ? How do I prove that her visit is essential.
Kind of lost here, sorry.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes. But that's what I'm trying to understand. How is visiting her husband who is a PR holder be essential ? How do I prove that her visit is essential.
I can't help you with that unfortunately. All of this is so new.

mlei9569

Star Member
Dec 11, 2019
In the same shoes here. Following thread to see if someone shares their experience with regards to boarding aircrafts and entering the border.

Reactions: Haideen

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
We do not know obviously - and best will be when/if the government issues clarification on what is considered essential - but an educated guess is that for the airlines, the answer is "family reunification." That you will be staying with your spouse, that's it. Family reunification is the reason the immediate family member allowances exist, after all.

I don't believe the airlines will be asking about return plans or how long will you stay, but it seems okay to say as long as you're legally allowed to - e.g. length of your visa. (Obviously may cause complications if any return ticket is short-dated esp returning within the quarantine period)

I have no idea how best to approach with CBSA at port of entry, but possibly same approach will work. They will of course know about pending PR application.

Again though - only an educated guess. Perhaps possible to check with airlines in advance.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
As above start by checking with airline given it will be the checkin agent have to get past in the first instance. Personally can only speculate but cannot see CBSA refusing a family member entry and putting back on a plane as long they have proof they are immediate family but who really knows with CBSA.

Also still keep in mind the mandatory 14 day quarantine where it should be assumed as little direct contact with family members in same household as possible else what would be the point should they all be out and about.. This will likely be the hardest thing to keep to but should of course be taken seriously and for many a reason to not travel to Canada at this time no matter how much they want to.

Reactions: armoured

starnaenae

Champion Member
Aug 9, 2016
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico
App. Filed.......
March 1 2017
Doc's Request.
March 27, 2017, July 10, 2017
AOR Received.
AOR 1:March 17 2017 AOR 2: May 10, 2017
File Transfer...
April 8, 2017
Med's Request
Upfront - PASSED
Med's Done....
December 12 2016
Interview........
NOT REQUIRED
Passport Req..
March 5, 2018
VISA ISSUED...
March 13, 2018
LANDED..........
April 30, 2018
Just my opinion but why would you want to risk her health and yours due to COVID19? Please please PLEASE just STAY HOME. Use video chat. This is NOT essential and in fact is putting you and her at risk. People are asymptomatic and can spread the virus. Who is to say she wouldnt be sitting beside someone who has it on a plan. You do know that this virus is KILLING PEOPLE right?? Just let this blow over and allow her to come safely. Its totally not worth it

kylelowry

Star Member
Jun 6, 2019
Thank you all for your responses. Right now we just evaluating options.
@canuck_in_uk i do understand all this is new and would be difficult to comment on, but, your thoughts are highly appreciated! :)

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you all for your responses. Right now we just evaluating options.
@canuck_in_uk i do understand all this is new and would be difficult to comment on, but, your thoughts are highly appreciated! :)
I can't comment on what is considered essential, as they have not published any guidelines about it. As someone else suggested above, you can contact the airline to ask what documentation they will need.

mlei9569

Star Member
Dec 11, 2019
Parents visiting their son (a PR holder) were asked to return to their home country today at Pearson International airport. They couldn’t communicate clearly in English and thus couldn’t sufficiently explain why the travel is essential. This case shows that CSBA can refuse entry if you cannot provide proper documentation.

Last edited:
Reactions: kylelowry

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Parents visiting their son (a PR holder) were asked to return to their home country today at Pearson International airport. They couldn’t communicate clearly English and thus couldn’t sufficiently explain why the travel is essential. This case shows that CSBA can refuse entry if you cannot provide proper documentation.
Why was their travel essential? Perhaps that is why they were refused.