+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Show that you’re travelling to Canada for an essential reason

arsalsam786

Star Member
Mar 15, 2020
Good question, I believe it is very hard to convince visa officer that you will leave the country after visa validity period (because your intent is to stay in Canada with your spouse)
no .ican convince him because im doing job and working from my 5 years in same bank and salaried person and also independ in financial terms and now a days my husband is on EI so not doing any job....so im not having intent to live i only want to celebrate our 1st anniversary with my husband

ryester

Champion Member
Oct 11, 2018
no .ican convince him because im doing job and working from my 5 years in same bank and salaried person and also independ in financial terms and now a days my husband is on EI so not doing any job....so im not having intent to live i only want to celebrate our 1st anniversary with my husband
I did not say you could not convince (it is just a general situation to most people) and I said you can apply, it is your right.

Reactions: arsalsam786

KingKcaj

Star Member
Mar 4, 2020
I see from an earlier post that the essential travel restriction will be lifted after June 30th, is this confirmed? Can me wife travel freely to Canada after that date just for purpose to reunite with me? Assuming she come from country that does not need a tourist visa.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
HI

I see from an earlier post that the essential travel restriction will be lifted after June 30th, is this confirmed? Can me wife travel freely to Canada after that date just for purpose to reunite with me? Assuming she come from country that does not need a tourist visa.
1. It depends on Covid infection rate, it could be extended.

ryester

Champion Member
Oct 11, 2018
yes, it is confirmed but it could be changed.

Regardless this travel restriction, if you are Canadian citizen or PR and your wife travels for essential reason, she is exempted. Check the following CBSA memo for examples of essential travel,
https://www.cicnews.com/2020/05/how-cbsa-determines-essential-travel-revealed-in-internal-memo-0514463.html#gs.7i893z

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I think the magic words to use are "family reunification", as others have stated.
I do not think that interpretation is up to date. They seem to be being quite a lot stricter, asking specifics about length of stay, purpose, and how 'essential.' Those words to not appear to be magic.

kellymariefw

Jan 6, 2020
Unfortunately it is only for USA foreign nationals. This does not apply to any other country - yet.
I just read the official notice on the government website, and I don't see anything saying it only applies to Americans. Maybe they will change this later, but right now it looks like it's for any foreign nationals who are immediate family members of Canadian citizens/PRs

https://www.canada.ca/en/border-services-agency/news/2020/06/changes-to-travel-restrictions-for-immediate-family-members-of-canadian-citizens-and-permanent-residents.html