+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

RQ versus Physical Presence Questionnaires, including CIT 0205

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
@dpenabill Hi Today I got Decision Made online but I don't have any email, When I click on Decision Made I don't see any extra line added after my exam Date Line, any idea what is happening, if it is Decision Made shouldn't I be getting an oath in my email by now?
@dpenabill based on your past experience with other cases, if you have submitted the PPQ 0205 and now after test I have Decision Made online, does that mean they have also finished processing the PPQ 0205? any inputs on that?
Best I can surmise this probably means your grant of citizenship has been approved and you will be scheduled for the oath. My GUESS is that will happen sooner rather than later, but the timeline is not easily forecast.

So, this is almost certainly good news and congratulations are probably in order.

I do not follow, not much, the details about when and how IRCC communicates such progress to the client/applicant. It is likely, very likely, that how this goes now is very much consistent with how it goes for routinely processed applicants generally. Including variations in how it goes (there is a tendency among some to think things will go the same for everyone when in fact anecdotal reporting overwhelming shows quite a lot of variation from one applicant to another). Including variations in the timeline between the Decision Made and when the oath is actually scheduled.

SunnyWays

Star Member
Dec 28, 2017
Best I can surmise this probably means your grant of citizenship has been approved and you will be scheduled for the oath. My GUESS is that will happen sooner rather than later, but the timeline is not easily forecast.

So, this is almost certainly good news and congratulations are probably in order.

I do not follow, not much, the details about when and how IRCC communicates such progress to the client/applicant. It is likely, very likely, that how this goes now is very much consistent with how it goes for routinely processed applicants generally. Including variations in how it goes (there is a tendency among some to think things will go the same for everyone when in fact anecdotal reporting overwhelming shows quite a lot of variation from one applicant to another). Including variations in the timeline between the Decision Made and when the oath is actually scheduled.
thank you for your reply, the only part that i am as confused as everyone else is will it still change to Decision Made online if my PPQ 0205 is still in progress or it will only go to Decision Made only when my PPQ 0205 is processed fully, :confused::confused:

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
thank you for your reply, the only part that i am as confused as everyone else is will it still change to Decision Made online if my PPQ 0205 is still in progress or it will only go to Decision Made only when my PPQ 0205 is processed fully, :confused::confused:
SHORT ANSWER: once the applicant has reached the Decision Made step, I am confident the applicant is very much in the same stead as routine applicants, to be processed the same (to the extent there is any further processing) as routine applicants.

As I previously observed: "It is likely, very likely, that how this goes now is very much consistent with how it goes for routinely processed applicants generally." That is, it is almost certain that how it goes from here is consistent with how things go for routine applicants past the Decision Made step.

EXPLANATION:

There is no reason, none that I know of or have any inkling exists, to think that the PPQ is separately processed in any way that affects the individual applicant.

It is possible, since it is supposed to be a Quality Assurance Exercise, the PPQ is separately reviewed by personnel in IRCC looking for patterns of information which will help design future application questions or develop parameters for screening applicants, or help refine criteria for triggering additional information and document requests. But to the extent that is a separate process (my guess is that it is not separate but integrated into the regular decision-making flow, perhaps generating a separate report for those uses, that is for designing future application questions or developing screening criteria), that review would not be part of or affect the processing of the application.

So far as I can discern, PPQ is reviewed together with the application, simply as additional information, and thus if there were any questions or issues raised, they would have been identified during either the processing agent's pre-test preparation for the interview, or during the interview, or during any post-interview review (such as when the Citizenship Officer reviews the file after a processing agent has prepared it for the Officer's review) leading to the decision made.

In other words, Decision Made almost certainly signals the processing is all but done.

I say "all but done" because the applicant must continue to be eligible right up to the taking of the oath. If something happens in the meantime, after Decision Made and before the oath is taken (such as the applicant is arrested for something like driving while impaired or domestic violence, or anything more serious, for example; or applicant is abroad and is reported for inadmissibility upon next arrival at a PoE) or some other information is somehow brought to IRCC's attention which is cause to revisit the applicant's qualifications (such as a poison letter, fraud tip, among other possibilities), that can then result in further processing. BUT that is unusual, and probably RARE except for the unfortunate fact that quite a few applicants for citizenship stumble in the criminal law sphere (driving while impaired or domestic violence being the most common failings). AND THIS ASPECT applies equally to all applicants, not just those issued PPQ or other non-routine processing. (While there are occasional reports of applicants scheduled for the oath but then not allowed to take the oath, but subjected to further processing, these are very few, few and far between, and again this tends to be about an applicant who stumbles along the way, getting arrested or such.)

Note that once a decision is made, the applicant is actually considered a citizenship "candidate" by IRCC rather than an "applicant." I doubt this has much if any substantive importance, but it does illustrate a significant status change nonetheless.

Among particular things I do NOT know is to what extent IRCC may seek clearance updates after the Decision Made. If there is any significant time lapse between the Decision Made and the scheduling of the oath, it is likely there is at least one more GCMS check done attendant scheduling the oath (which, for example, will usually alert IRCC of any arrests in the meantime, if there have been any; recognizing that the applicant typically must again affirm no prohibitions attendant check-in for the oath ceremony as well). BUT again, this applies to all applicants not just those issued PPQ.

Kambiz2002

Star Member
Jan 11, 2019
SHORT ANSWER: once the applicant has reached the Decision Made step, I am confident the applicant is very much in the same stead as routine applicants, to be processed the same (to the extent there is any further processing) as routine applicants.

As I previously observed: "It is likely, very likely, that how this goes now is very much consistent with how it goes for routinely processed applicants generally." That is, it is almost certain that how it goes from here is consistent with how things go for routine applicants past the Decision Made step.

EXPLANATION:

There is no reason, none that I know of or have any inkling exists, to think that the PPQ is separately processed in any way that affects the individual applicant.

It is possible, since it is supposed to be a Quality Assurance Exercise, the PPQ is separately reviewed by personnel in IRCC looking for patterns of information which will help design future application questions or develop parameters for screening applicants, or help refine criteria for triggering additional information and document requests. But to the extent that is a separate process (my guess is that it is not separate but integrated into the regular decision-making flow, perhaps generating a separate report for those uses, that is for designing future application questions or developing screening criteria), that review would not be part of or affect the processing of the application.

So far as I can discern, PPQ is reviewed together with the application, simply as additional information, and thus if there were any questions or issues raised, they would have been identified during either the processing agent's pre-test preparation for the interview, or during the interview, or during any post-interview review (such as when the Citizenship Officer reviews the file after a processing agent has prepared it for the Officer's review) leading to the decision made.

In other words, Decision Made almost certainly signals the processing is all but done.

I say "all but done" because the applicant must continue to be eligible right up to the taking of the oath. If something happens in the meantime, after Decision Made and before the oath is taken (such as the applicant is arrested for something like driving while impaired or domestic violence, or anything more serious, for example; or applicant is abroad and is reported for inadmissibility upon next arrival at a PoE) or some other information is somehow brought to IRCC's attention which is cause to revisit the applicant's qualifications (such as a poison letter, fraud tip, among other possibilities), that can then result in further processing. BUT that is unusual, and probably RARE except for the unfortunate fact that quite a few applicants for citizenship stumble in the criminal law sphere (driving while impaired or domestic violence being the most common failings). AND THIS ASPECT applies equally to all applicants, not just those issued PPQ or other non-routine processing. (While there are occasional reports of applicants scheduled for the oath but then not allowed to take the oath, but subjected to further processing, these are very few, few and far between, and again this tends to be about an applicant who stumbles along the way, getting arrested or such.)

Note that once a decision is made, the applicant is actually considered a citizenship "candidate" by IRCC rather than an "applicant." I doubt this has much if any substantive importance, but it does illustrate a significant status change nonetheless.

Among particular things I do NOT know is to what extent IRCC may seek clearance updates after the Decision Made. If there is any significant time lapse between the Decision Made and the scheduling of the oath, it is likely there is at least one more GCMS check done attendant scheduling the oath (which, for example, will usually alert IRCC of any arrests in the meantime, if there have been any; recognizing that the applicant typically must again affirm no prohibitions attendant check-in for the oath ceremony as well). BUT again, this applies to all applicants not just those issued PPQ.
Dear @dpenabill

I have read many of your posts. While I appreciate your effort, for someone waiting for the result of RQ, I must say many of your posts seem to be detailed to a level that causes one to think you work for the government. I mean the bottom line of many of your posts are as following:

PPQ: not to worry too much as they are random
CIT 0520: worry a bit
CIT 0171: worry more more but still you could be fine

Why do you expand them so much? Can I ask if you are a citizen yourself? Did you go personally under an RQ yourself? The thing is that at many time the applicants should just wait and the extra explanation just makes them more anxious.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Dear @dpenabill

I have read many of your posts. While I appreciate your effort, for someone waiting for the result of RQ, I must say many of your posts seem to be detailed to a level that causes one to think you work for the government. I mean the bottom line of many of your posts are as following:

PPQ: not to worry too much as they are random
CIT 0520: worry a bit
CIT 0171: worry more more but still you could be fine

Why do you expand them so much? Can I ask if you are a citizen yourself? Did you go personally under an RQ yourself? The thing is that at many time the applicants should just wait and the extra explanation just makes them more anxious.
I do not disagree with your general observations. And indeed they fairly articulate general conclusions I regularly make.

If you read the back pages here and in other related topics, however, there are scores and scores of posts to the contrary, many of which are simply mistaken, some more confusing than others, some of which are insistent otherwise, many containing a wide range of misleading or erroneous statements about these non-routine procedures. Indeed, I started this particular topic precisely because there were numerous other topics in which there was a lot of confusing, conflating, and erroneous information about these particular RQ-related procedures and I saw a need for a single topic which would help those affected or interested learn what they needed or wanted to know.

The PPQ-QAE, for example, is very different from full-blown RQ, but many anecdotal reports in this forum refer to one when it is actually the other. It is one thing when all that is conflated is which procedure the person is reporting, but when they include further observations about how it has affected their application process, it is important to distinguish which procedure it is that has led to what they are describing.

Note, in particular, as true as your general statements are, just stating them hardly scratches the surface and for many, many of those who are subject to these procedures, these general statements do not adequately illuminate what the procedures entail, what they mean or do not mean, and thus really do not offer much comfort at all.

Also note that I repeatedly assure QUALIFIED applicants who have followed the instructions and who have submitted truthful, accurate, complete information, and otherwise properly provided IRCC the information and documents requested, THERE SHOULD BE NO REASON TO WORRY, and the key is to WAIT, WAIT and WATCH for communication from IRCC. I post this again and again and again.

So, to be frank, a large, large part of what I post is about assuring QUALIFIED applicants. Not by making naked assertions, but by illuminating as much as we know about the process based on homework, anecdotal reports, and careful analysis, sharing much of the actual analysis as the venue facilitates so that individuals can assess this information for themselves and NOT rely on me as an authority. Since I am NOT an authority.

Additionally, among the more common complaints about the process is how much it is NOT transparent. I agree that the level of transparency leaves a great deal to desire (there was far more transparency when I started here, and a lot of what I know is built on what the government shared back then). BUT actually we do know a lot more about the process and how things work than many of those who complain acknowledge. I make a concerted effort to do the homework and offer information about the process regarding just a few particular issues which I have been following for around a decade. RQ-related issues for example.

Leading to my background:

Make no mistake: I am definitely NO expert. There is a great deal I do not know. I focus on just a small number of particular issues. Like RQ. Like the prohibitions. Like PR Residency Obligation issues.

I have NEVER been employed in any capacity by the Canadian government. I am NOT a Canadian lawyer. I have NO professional or occupational experience in any way related to Canadian immigration or citizenship.

Yes, I am a citizen. No, I did not personally get RQ'd. I did, however, become eligible for citizenship during a period when, at times, the rate of RQ exceeded one in four applicants, and I had multiple circumstances meeting the criteria for issuing RQ (at that time, and which criteria we knew due to a widely shared, leaked copy of the then applicable File Requirements Checklist). Moreover, at that time the RQ'd timeline tended to be as long as THREE YEARS, with many, many QUALIFIED applicants suffering a timeline lasting FOUR YEARS, some even longer. (This was when there was a Conservative government and any hint an applicant might be seeking-a-passport-of-convenience or applying-on-the-way-to-the-airport tended to trigger elevated skepticism and lengthy non-routine processing.)

Thus, I WAITED NEARLY TWO YEARS to apply, after I first became eligible, to minimize the risk I would be RQ'd and so that in the meantime I could more solidly keep records to support my case if I was RQ'd (I am self-employed and export what I do exclusively to customers abroad, so I needed to be more conscientious about gathering and keeping records to show that I was actually doing the work IN CANADA). And the wait paid off for me. I literally became a citizen BEFORE many of those who applied TWO YEARS before I did.

But in that process I became deeply engaged in all things related to the residence and presence calculation.

Before that I had a particular personal issue relative to my own application for a Permanent Resident visa regarding which forum comments illuminated a particular nuance: that a spousal sponsored PR application could be made as an OUTLAND application even if the applicant was physically staying in Canada. My impression was that since I was IN Canada (with my sponsor), I had to make an INLAND application. This and two other similar forums alerted me otherwise. At the time that was a big deal because there too there was a huge difference in the timeline, the INLAND application likely to take THREE TIMES as long as an OUTLAND application (for the applicable visa office involved at that time), and potentially even longer if there were complications. Of course I am risk averse so I paid money to obtain an expert opinion from a lawyer experienced in immigration generally and spousal sponsored PR applications in particular, to verify what I learned. But if not for the posts in the forums it probably would have taken at least a year, maybe two years longer for me to become a PR in the first place. So I got involved in paying-it-forward, and it has become something of a hobby of mine.

Basically what I learned through my participation in the forums first led to me obtaining PR status at least a year sooner, and then saved me a lot of time, effort, and inconvenience during the citizenship application process.

And to be clear, I probably would have been, as many posts in the forum tend to say, "fine" either way. But the nuanced information helped me get through both processes (PR and citizenship) a lot faster, with a lot less anxiety, with a lot less hassle. I personally benefited from more detailed information. So that is what I offer. To my view naked assurances "it will be fine" tend to be misleading and are simply NOT good enough for the prudent applicant.

Last edited:
Reactions: thesonicbro

Kambiz2002

Star Member
Jan 11, 2019
@dpenabill

I have a question and a discussion to follow which is indirectly connected to RQs which follow after the interview. Do you know out of all of your observations what has been the longest interview times in terms of actual time? Like 1 hour or 30 min or ...?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
@dpenabill

I have a question and a discussion to follow which is indirectly connected to RQs which follow after the interview. Do you know out of all of your observations what has been the longest interview times in terms of actual time? Like 1 hour or 30 min or ...?
I am not sure which interview you are asking about. If you are asking specifically about an in-depth residence interview and/or a hearing with either a citizenship officer or a citizenship judge, I do NOT know how long these interviews are (but I would guess rarely longer than an hour). For more discussion about these interviews or hearings see further observations below AND linked IRCC resources.

Interview attendant the test; the "Program Integrity Interview":

The interview attendant the test (or for old people like me who are test exempt, interview attendant other applicants taking the test) tends to be far more brief than many applicants apprehend. These are VERIFICATION interviews, not fact-finding hearings. These are referred to as the "Program Integrity Interview" (the "PI interview") in current PDIs. There is some fact-finding done in some cases, but the purpose and focus of the interview is VERIFICATION, and for the vast majority of qualified applicants the result of the interview is precisely that: the interviewer (sometimes referred to as a "processing agent," other times as an "official," and some reports suggest that sometimes the interview is conducted by the responsible "Citizenship Officer") verifies the applicant's qualifications and then refers the file to the responsible Citizenship Officer who will make the decision to grant citizenship OR who may make further inquiry before making that decision. If the interviewer is NOT satisfied that the applicant's qualification for citizenship has been verified, then DEPENDING on the reason WHY the interview has not verified the applicant's qualification, there is a range of further processing . . . which may include further RQ-related requests for information and documents from the applicant . . . or other requests, such as Finger Prints (even if previously provided), official court documents (if the issue is related to prohibitions), among other possibilities.

There are several topics here in which these interviews are discussed. It has been a good while since I diligently read new posts about these interviews, but my occasional reading of these posts indicates the format and scope of the interviews continues to be consistent with reports going back many years: brief, focused on verifying identity, documents, and to some extent (but not usually in depth) key elements of the application such as travel dates (albeit this is rather cursorily for most applicants), as well as the applicant's employment and address, which may include, just sometimes, employment and address history. Five to ten minutes, sometimes less, seems most common. Rarely see reports of an interview longer than ten to fifteen minutes.

Here is what the relevant PDI states about what happens after the PI interview:
"For most applicants, the next face-to-face interaction with Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) is during their citizenship ceremony."​

Other Types of Interviews:

There are other types of interviews.
So far as I have seen, anecdotal reports about other types of interviews are very uncommon in this forum (and the other forums I have participated in have had very limited activity for quite some time now, going back to before June 2015 when most grant citizenship decision-making authority was taken away from Citizenship Judges and given to Citizenship Officers). Moreover, the few, sporadic reports about other citizenship application processing interviews tend to be sketchy, offering little contextual information which would help us grasp key aspects of the process, and generally seem to not be particularly reliable sources.

Thus, what I know about other interviews derives largely from IRCC online information, particularly the PDIs which describe particular decision-making procedures generally and client interviews in particular. Of course my understanding of this information also depends on what I have learned, over the years, about decision-making interviews and hearings involving CIC, IRCC, the IAD, and Citizenship Judges, regarding which there have been more anecdotal reports (including more in-depth information in such reports) and of course there has been a good deal of information published in official IAD and Federal Court decisions (the latter source has diminished and become far less informative since Harper era legislation took away an applicant's right of appeal), and to some extent older Operational Manuals and Operational Bulletins still offer some insight into the respective decision-making processes.

In any event, I am NOT acquainted much with details like the length of interviews other than the verification-interview, the PI interview.

The nature and scope of interviews other than the PI interview varies depending on the facts and circumstances of the case. Interviews may be done to test the applicant's knowledge of Canada, to verify the applicant meets the language requirements, to verify information related to potential prohibitions, and of course to ascertain facts relevant to determining if the applicant met the physical presence requirements. The latter may be before a Citizenship Officer (there are very, very few anecdotal reports here about this type of interview/hearing) or before a Citizenship Judge (we have a lot more information about these, but most of that is based on information going back many years with not much new information from the last few years).

Some References/Links:

Citizenship Decision-making procedures:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/canadian-citizenship/admininistration/decisions/decision-making-procedures.html

Citizenship interview of adult applicants:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/canadian-citizenship/admininistration/decisions/interviewing-adult-applicants.html
This references both the Program Integrity Interview (the "PI interview") and other interviews before a Citizenship Officer as well as Citizenship Judges, and specifically describes an "In-depth residence interview." If your query is about this type of interview, the "In-depth residence interview," I'd suggest reading this PDI and reviewing other discussions in this forum which are more specifically about RQ processing, about processing the residence/presence-case, and then pose more specific questions if you have any.

Referral of application to Citizenship Judges:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/canadian-citizenship/admininistration/decisions/referring-applications-judge.html

Kambiz2002

Star Member
Jan 11, 2019
I am not sure which interview you are asking about. If you are asking specifically about an in-depth residence interview and/or a hearing with either a citizenship officer or a citizenship judge, I do NOT know how long these interviews are (but I would guess rarely longer than an hour). For more discussion about these interviews or hearings see further observations below AND linked IRCC resources.

Interview attendant the test; the "Program Integrity Interview":

The interview attendant the test (or for old people like me who are test exempt, interview attendant other applicants taking the test) tends to be far more brief than many applicants apprehend. These are VERIFICATION interviews, not fact-finding hearings. These are referred to as the "Program Integrity Interview" (the "PI interview") in current PDIs. There is some fact-finding done in some cases, but the purpose and focus of the interview is VERIFICATION, and for the vast majority of qualified applicants the result of the interview is precisely that: the interviewer (sometimes referred to as a "processing agent," other times as an "official," and some reports suggest that sometimes the interview is conducted by the responsible "Citizenship Officer") verifies the applicant's qualifications and then refers the file to the responsible Citizenship Officer who will make the decision to grant citizenship OR who may make further inquiry before making that decision. If the interviewer is NOT satisfied that the applicant's qualification for citizenship has been verified, then DEPENDING on the reason WHY the interview has not verified the applicant's qualification, there is a range of further processing . . . which may include further RQ-related requests for information and documents from the applicant . . . or other requests, such as Finger Prints (even if previously provided), official court documents (if the issue is related to prohibitions), among other possibilities.

There are several topics here in which these interviews are discussed. It has been a good while since I diligently read new posts about these interviews, but my occasional reading of these posts indicates the format and scope of the interviews continues to be consistent with reports going back many years: brief, focused on verifying identity, documents, and to some extent (but not usually in depth) key elements of the application such as travel dates (albeit this is rather cursorily for most applicants), as well as the applicant's employment and address, which may include, just sometimes, employment and address history. Five to ten minutes, sometimes less, seems most common. Rarely see reports of an interview longer than ten to fifteen minutes.

Here is what the relevant PDI states about what happens after the PI interview:
"For most applicants, the next face-to-face interaction with Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) is during their citizenship ceremony."​

Other Types of Interviews:

There are other types of interviews.
So far as I have seen, anecdotal reports about other types of interviews are very uncommon in this forum (and the other forums I have participated in have had very limited activity for quite some time now, going back to before June 2015 when most grant citizenship decision-making authority was taken away from Citizenship Judges and given to Citizenship Officers). Moreover, the few, sporadic reports about other citizenship application processing interviews tend to be sketchy, offering little contextual information which would help us grasp key aspects of the process, and generally seem to not be particularly reliable sources.

Thus, what I know about other interviews derives largely from IRCC online information, particularly the PDIs which describe particular decision-making procedures generally and client interviews in particular. Of course my understanding of this information also depends on what I have learned, over the years, about decision-making interviews and hearings involving CIC, IRCC, the IAD, and Citizenship Judges, regarding which there have been more anecdotal reports (including more in-depth information in such reports) and of course there has been a good deal of information published in official IAD and Federal Court decisions (the latter source has diminished and become far less informative since Harper era legislation took away an applicant's right of appeal), and to some extent older Operational Manuals and Operational Bulletins still offer some insight into the respective decision-making processes.

In any event, I am NOT acquainted much with details like the length of interviews other than the verification-interview, the PI interview.

The nature and scope of interviews other than the PI interview varies depending on the facts and circumstances of the case. Interviews may be done to test the applicant's knowledge of Canada, to verify the applicant meets the language requirements, to verify information related to potential prohibitions, and of course to ascertain facts relevant to determining if the applicant met the physical presence requirements. The latter may be before a Citizenship Officer (there are very, very few anecdotal reports here about this type of interview/hearing) or before a Citizenship Judge (we have a lot more information about these, but most of that is based on information going back many years with not much new information from the last few years).

Some References/Links:

Citizenship Decision-making procedures:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/canadian-citizenship/admininistration/decisions/decision-making-procedures.html

Citizenship interview of adult applicants:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/canadian-citizenship/admininistration/decisions/interviewing-adult-applicants.html
This references both the Program Integrity Interview (the "PI interview") and other interviews before a Citizenship Officer as well as Citizenship Judges, and specifically describes an "In-depth residence interview." If your query is about this type of interview, the "In-depth residence interview," I'd suggest reading this PDI and reviewing other discussions in this forum which are more specifically about RQ processing, about processing the residence/presence-case, and then pose more specific questions if you have any.

Referral of application to Citizenship Judges:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/canadian-citizenship/admininistration/decisions/referring-applications-judge.html

@dpenabill
I meant the interview right after the test with the citizenship officer, not any in depth integrity interviews or the ones with the citizenship judge.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
@dpenabill
I meant the interview right after the test with the citizenship officer, not any in depth integrity interviews or the ones with the citizenship judge.
You are clearly talking about the Program Integrity Interview.

These are not particularly related to RQ. In contrast there is a lot of information about these interviews in several other topics here, no particular relationship to RQ-related questions, so I am not sure why you are asking about the PI interview in this topic.

These typically take five to ten minutes. (Time waiting for one's turn can be significantly longer.)

In any event, the PI interview, that is the interview conducted attendant the test (right after the test usually), is NOT necessarily with a "citizenship officer," and my sense is that it usually is NOT with a Citizenship Officer. Rather, it is ordinarily an interview with a processing agent or citizenship "official," and is ordinarily done by the processing agent (or official) who prepared the file for the interview. Since it is NOT a hearing, and thus not a meeting which results in a final decision, it is not necessary that the interviewer be either the same person who prepared the file OR the person who makes a final decision.

Some anecdotal reports in the forum assert that the PI interview was with a Citizenship Officer but, frankly, I suspect many of these reports are erroneous. Those reporting think the interviewer is a Citizenship Officer even when the interviewer is NOT the responsible Citizenship Officer. Sure, sometimes it might be the Citizenship Officer. This can depend on which local office is processing the applicant. I'd guess that in some local offices perhaps a responsible Citizenship Officer in effect shares the workload of interviewing applicants with a number of processing agents, but in general, as best I can discern, the PI interview is ordinarily conducted by a processing agent (or, again, a citizenship "official" as referenced in some IRCC information) and the interviewer then provides the Citizenship Officer with his or her observations and conclusions.

Again, there are several topics here in which these interviews, which EVERY adult applicant must have, are discussed. Some of those reporting here go into a lot of detail about their interview.

Again, the reports indicate these interviews are usually five to ten minutes (the vast majority closer to just five minutes), with only occasional reports of some taking ten to fifteen minutes. (It is actually quite remarkable just how much can be gone over in the course of a five minute interview; mine went so fast it seemed I hardly had time to catch my breath before it was done.)

Again, these are largely VERIFICATION interviews. These interviews are the first discussed in the PDI I linked above:

The vast majority of PI interviews do not involve RQ-related processing.

And we have seen enough reporting from applicants who received the PPQ-QAE to conclude that for most of these applicants the PI interview is routine, the PPQ-QAE submission hardly if at all referenced. (There will be exceptions, obviously, for those applicants identified as having potential presence-case questions. Just like any other applicant whose file reveals a reason-to-question-residence.)

And of course if during the interview the interviewer identifies something suggesting a reason-to-question-residence, obviously that could lead to further processing AFTER the interview, including issuing RQ-related requests to the applicant.

It warrants noting that it appears MOST RQ'd applicants, those issued RQ-lite or the full-blown RQ, still proceed to a positive outcome and are scheduled for the oath with NO further interview, either with a Citizenship Officer or with a Citizenship Judge. We cannot be confident let alone certain of this, since it has been nearly a decade since we had access to CJ hearing statistics and I have not seen any reported data about Citizenship Officer hearings (again, these hearings are a post-2015 procedure; prior to June 2015 Citizenship Judges made ALL citizenship application decisions).

EDIT to ADD some topic titles (among many many more) regarding the PI interview (these should link):

Citizenship Interview - Necessary Documents

My Citizenship Interview Process Today

Worried....Passed Citizenship Test, but Interview didn't feel like it went well.

Passed Test and Interview this morning

Please advise of any other documents to carry to interview

Citizenship interview got stressed

Been working abroad, will there be a problem for the interview?

Citizenship Interview

Interview - Original IELTS

October 2017 applicants who have done interview long ago and heard no news since

Asking PCC after finishing test and finishing interview, does anyone have gone through ?

Last edited:

Kambiz2002

Star Member
Jan 11, 2019
You are clearly talking about the Program Integrity Interview.

These are not particularly related to RQ. In contrast there is a lot of information about these interviews in several other topics here, no particular relationship to RQ-related questions, so I am not sure why you are asking about the PI interview in this topic.

These typically take five to ten minutes. (Time waiting for one's turn can be significantly longer.)

In any event, the PI interview, that is the interview conducted attendant the test (right after the test usually), is NOT necessarily with a "citizenship officer," and my sense is that it usually is NOT with a Citizenship Officer. Rather, it is ordinarily an interview with a processing agent or citizenship "official," and is ordinarily done by the processing agent (or official) who prepared the file for the interview. Since it is NOT a hearing, and thus not a meeting which results in a final decision, it is not necessary that the interviewer be either the same person who prepared the file OR the person who makes a final decision.

Some anecdotal reports in the forum assert that the PI interview was with a Citizenship Officer but, frankly, I suspect many of these reports are erroneous. Those reporting think the interviewer is a Citizenship Officer even when the interviewer is NOT the responsible Citizenship Officer. Sure, sometimes it might be the Citizenship Officer. This can depend on which local office is processing the applicant. I'd guess that in some local offices perhaps a responsible Citizenship Officer in effect shares the workload of interviewing applicants with a number of processing agents, but in general, as best I can discern, the PI interview is ordinarily conducted by a processing agent (or, again, a citizenship "official" as referenced in some IRCC information) and the interviewer then provides the Citizenship Officer with his or her observations and conclusions.

Again, there are several topics here in which these interviews, which EVERY adult applicant must have, are discussed. Some of those reporting here go into a lot of detail about their interview.

Again, the reports indicate these interviews are usually five to ten minutes (the vast majority closer to just five minutes), with only occasional reports of some taking ten to fifteen minutes. (It is actually quite remarkable just how much can be gone over in the course of a five minute interview; mine went so fast it seemed I hardly had time to catch my breath before it was done.)

Again, these are largely VERIFICATION interviews. These interviews are the first discussed in the PDI I linked above:

The vast majority of PI interviews do not involve RQ-related processing.

And we have seen enough reporting from applicants who received the PPQ-QAE to conclude that for most of these applicants the PI interview is routine, the PPQ-QAE submission hardly if at all referenced. (There will be exceptions, obviously, for those applicants identified as having potential presence-case questions. Just like any other applicant whose file reveals a reason-to-question-residence.)

And of course if during the interview the interviewer identifies something suggesting a reason-to-question-residence, obviously that could lead to further processing AFTER the interview, including issuing RQ-related requests to the applicant.

It warrants noting that it appears MOST RQ'd applicants, those issued RQ-lite or the full-blown RQ, still proceed to a positive outcome and are scheduled for the oath with NO further interview, either with a Citizenship Officer or with a Citizenship Judge. We cannot be confident let alone certain of this, since it has been nearly a decade since we had access to CJ hearing statistics and I have not seen any reported data about Citizenship Officer hearings (again, these hearings are a post-2015 procedure; prior to June 2015 Citizenship Judges made ALL citizenship application decisions).

EDIT to ADD some topic titles (among many many more) regarding the PI interview (these should link):

Citizenship Interview - Necessary Documents

My Citizenship Interview Process Today

Worried....Passed Citizenship Test, but Interview didn't feel like it went well.

Passed Test and Interview this morning

Please advise of any other documents to carry to interview

Citizenship interview got stressed

Been working abroad, will there be a problem for the interview?

Citizenship Interview

Interview - Original IELTS

October 2017 applicants who have done interview long ago and heard no news since

Asking PCC after finishing test and finishing interview, does anyone have gone through ?
@dpenabill
Thank you for your response. This is what I had in mind to share with you:

I have noticed that in some of these program integrity interviews as you call them (were most lay people would just call it the citizenship interview), the processing agent as you mentioned (or maybe the citizenship officer) would verify every stamp on an applicant’s passport. This would be obviously a lot of work specially if there are many stamps. I remember that some processing agents were running to make copies of the other people passports during the time I was waiting after the test. Yet my processing agent or citizenship officer chose not to go over my stamps as if she had already made up her mind that she either doesnt have time or doesnt want to spend that time with me or she just wanted to take the longer route of asking for an RQ. (This was my point when I said there is a relation between my question and the program integrity interview and being RQd)

At the end of the day Canada is making life very difficult for those who have these crtierias:

They are from countries who happen to be RQd more

They travel a lot

They may be self emoyed or unemployed which makes proving their residency through this method more difficult and thus a suitable candidate for the eager beaver officer who by law must make sure of ones actual physicall presence

This comes at a great cost of the most intrusive methods of asking every little detail of ones life before admitting they are honest.

Is there a different method?
I think yes: why doesnt Canada simply ask for airline data? Which would maybe 2-3 pages vs. 500+ of full blown RQ. U.S. already shares data for the land borders so there are no other ways to get out of this country. Why Canada is being so arrogant when it comes to the people who have loved to come to this country and they may not immediately fit into a 9-5 working class which citizenship officers like to see. These are the same people who might have invested a fortune of wealth and time into Canada. It hurts that the system is looking at them as dishonest. It also hurts that when IRCC considers the file non routine for whatever reason then the applicant is just at the mercy of the officer with almost no resource other than waiting for a much longer time. I just find it unfair, unjust, and unlike any other Canadian ways I have seen during my whole years in Canada. The Government can easily invest in ways to get ones exits from Canada. They are just being as conservative as they can be but to the people who go through this process they face a different face of Canada which shoudnt necessarily have to be this way.

Kambiz2002

Star Member
Jan 11, 2019
@dpenabill
Thank you for your response. This is what I had in mind to share with you:

I have noticed that in some of these program integrity interviews as you call them (were most lay people would just call it the citizenship interview), the processing agent as you mentioned (or maybe the citizenship officer) would verify every stamp on an applicant’s passport. This would be obviously a lot of work specially if there are many stamps. I remember that some processing agents were running to make copies of the other people passports during the time I was waiting after the test. Yet my processing agent or citizenship officer chose not to go over my stamps as if she had already made up her mind that she either doesnt have time or doesnt want to spend that time with me or she just wanted to take the longer route of asking for an RQ. (This was my point when I said there is a relation between my question and the program integrity interview and being RQd)

At the end of the day Canada is making life very difficult for those who have these crtierias:

They are from countries who happen to be RQd more

They travel a lot

They may be self emoyed or unemployed which makes proving their residency through this method more difficult and thus a suitable candidate for the eager beaver officer who by law must make sure of ones actual physicall presence

This comes at a great cost of the most intrusive methods of asking every little detail of ones life before admitting they are honest.

I think yes: why doesnt Canada simply ask for airline data? Which would maybe 2-3 pages vs. 500+ of full blown RQ. U.S. already shares data for the land borders so there are no other ways to get out of this country. Why Canada is being so arrogant when it comes to the people who have loved to come to this country and they may not immediately fit into a 9-5 working class which citizenship officers like to see. These are the same people who might have invested a fortune of wealth and time into Canada. It hurts that the system is looking at them as dishonest. It also hurts that when IRCC considers the file non routine for whatever reason then the applicant is just at the mercy of the officer with almost no resource other than waiting for a much longer time. I just find it unfair, unjust, and unlike any other Canadian ways I have seen during my whole years in Canada. The Government can easily invest in ways to get ones exits from Canada. They are just being as conservative as they can be but to the people who go through this process they face a different face of Canada which shoudnt necessarily have to be this way.
I want to add one more point for those people who loved PM Justin Trudeau: write to him. He came with a slogan that a Canadian ks a Canadian is a Canadian which was specifically for those minorities from whom citizenship could be taken away. Does he know how does a full blown RQ look like? Does he know how long it takes? Does he know that one has to provide every little details of ones life. Probably not. Will he care? Maybe not. Or maybe he does. I suggest we all write to him about this process and ask if it is just and fair. This is the address (a letter would be better than an email). I suggest we share our PERSONAL experience with this RQ system so that maybe future applicants would not have to go through this system and there would be a better way to accurately calculate ones actual physical presence in Canada:

Office of the Prime Minister
80 Wellington Street Ottawa, ON
K1A 0A2

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
If you are mostly venting or advocating changes in the law or policy, which appears to be the case, there are other topics more suited for such commentary.

This topic is focused on particular non-routine RQ-related procedures under the current law and policy, and how these affect the process overall.

Moreover, personally I do not engage much in discussions about what the law, rules, policies, or practices SHOULD be. It is difficult and complicated and time-consuming enough trying to keep up with what the law, rules, policies, and practices ACTUALLY are, and how they apply in various circumstances.

And as you have complained yourself, this topic already is so dense it can be difficult to pick out the more essential information. Side trips into what the policy or law should be would only make this particular topic more complicated and confusing.

I will note, however, you appear to overlook or misunderstand some key elements in the citizenship application process, especially the role and effect of dates-of-entry and dates-of-exit.

For the vast, vast majority of applicants, IRCC calculates presence BASED ON THE APPLICANT'S ACCOUNTING OF DATES. And in doing this, IRCC makes the INFERENCE that the applicant was present in Canada all days from the date-of-entry (as reported by the applicant) up to and including the next date-of-exit (as reported by the applicant).

There are solid reasons for this. The applicant is the ONE AND ONLY PERSON IN WHOLE WORLD WHO FOR SURE CAN KNOW THIS INFORMATION. The applicant was there, in person, each and every time the applicant entered Canada. The applicant was there, in person, each and every time the applicant left Canada. The applicant is the ONLY person who for sure was there. There is NO good reason why the applicant's account should be off at all.

So IRCC generally, almost always, relies on the applicant's account.

But of course that does not mean IRCC does so without making various verification checks to discern whether the applicant has provided complete and accurate information, especially since many people fail to be good or accurate reporters for a variety of reasons. Deception is an obvious one. But there are other more common reasons why people fail to be competent reporters of accurate information, such as the failure to keep good records and the natural fallibility of memory.

So IRCC performs various checks to verify whether or not the applicant's account is sufficiently reliable to PROVE beyond a balance of probabilities that the applicant met the minimum presence requirement. Again, for the vast majority of applicants this assessment has a positive outcome and the applicant's accounting is relied on.

Which leads back to that INFERENCE of presence from the date-of-entry to the next date-of-exit. AS REPORTED BY THE APPLICANT. This is indeed precisely how the online presence calculation works. Applicants are NOT required to specifically designate every date they were present in Canada. They only need to enter dates they left Canada and dates they entered Canada, and the calculator automatically counts all days from a reported date-of-entry to the next date-of-exit as days present in Canada.

No problem UNLESS IRCC identifies a reason to question the applicant's information.

And even when IRCC sees a reason to question the applicant's account, IRCC often employs a less intrusive means to resolve the question. Applicants have reported, for example, overlooking and failing to report trips for up to three weeks or so, and being asked about this by the interviewer, and upon recognizing their mistake explaining it was an oversight, which in the scheme of things (including, obviously, a substantial margin over the minimum) satisfied the interviewer AND, importantly, the Citizenship Officer, such that they were soon scheduled to take the oath. No additional requests for information.

IRCC officials are NOT engaged in GOTCHA-GAMES. Anyone who reads a forum like this for long should readily see that IRCC rolls with all sorts or errors and mistakes and failures to follow the instructions.

But sometimes there are still questions, still concerns. In these instances many applicants have reported limited, specific requests when their responses in the interview did not fully satisfy IRCC. These range from requests to provide an authenticated translation of passports (which applicants should bring to the interview anyway) or specific things like rental receipts, or another country's Record of Movement. Some get RQ-lite, which itself can range from a request with only a couple of the items checked and requested, to the full list being checked.

Based on the PDIs it is IRCC stated policy to request the less-intrusive means to resolve questions.

But in some cases IRCC's concerns rise to the level of essentially requiring the applicant to prove his or her case, and CIT 0171, the full-blown RQ, is issued.

In these cases that INFERENCE of presence the days between a reported date-of-entry to the next date-of-exit, is at least compromised if not disregarded. In these cases IRCC is asking for proof of actual presence for all days the applicant claims to have been present. In these cases IRCC is NOT relying much on the applicant's reported dates-of-entry and dates-of-exit, except to the extent all the evidence supports a conclusion the applicant was in fact present during that time.

Remember, proof the applicant entered Canada on a given date, say January 15, 2017, does NOT prove where the applicant was the next day, January 16, 2017, let alone the day after that or the days in the week after that.

Canada does not, and there is NO hint at all that in any near future Canada will, rely on government or airline or any other records to document all dates a person left or entered Canada. There is no reason to think it is at all likely Canada might move in that direction.

It is, however, moving in a direction which (like many other countries) is capturing and accessing more and more information, including information which will show if and when a PR has given inaccurate information about his or her travel dates. And it is also utilizing other sources of information which might indicate if a person was outside Canada some dates the applicant claimed to be in Canada (researching online open sources like LinkedIn for example) or had reason to be outside Canada (which increases the likelihood she was outside Canada in the absence of positive proof of being in Canada).

So, to be clear, all that information sharing with the U.S., and entry data captured by CBSA PoE officials, and other data resources, is primarily accessed to determine if the citizenship applicant has truthfully, accurately reported travel dates. For VERIFICATION.

Which is still good news for many applicants. IRCC should be more comfortable, more assured, that an applicant's accurate accounting of travel is indeed accurate. And can be relied upon. Of course it is NOT good news for those who fail to keep precise records and fail to provide a complete and accurate accounting of travel dates, since the deviations will more likely be noticed.

Kambiz2002

Star Member
Jan 11, 2019
@dpenabill

Once again thank you for your detailed info. The thing is that I was so sure of my exact number of physical days (by having them checked 4 times) before sending the application and then asking 2 different friends to verify them (due to the excessive number of entries and exits) that I was surprised when I actually got an RQ. I thought that if I am really honest, IRCC would somehow be able to verify that I. (and they have not said the opposite yet either, but this lengthy process for RQ makes one to wonder what they are doing). It is just very frustrating that we have to wait this long while listening to stories of other people who have gone through the same RQs and have received much faster responses. As I said, I personally thought being very honest with IRCC (counting even single nights and addresses) would be in my benefit. This was a point that even the processing agent mentioned during the interview (that she liked the completeness and organization of the application and supporting documents). And yet, I am in a situation were I am not sure when they can confirm my physical presence days :(

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
1. Interesting here is a Federal Court decision where the applicant was 1 day short and the Judge approved the application, Citizenship and Immigration appealed to the Federal Court, the court allowed the application and it was referred back to CIC. https://decisions.fct-cf.gc.ca/fc-cf/decisions/en/item/360603/index.do
Wow interesting. This could lead to some potential policy changes by IRCC.
@dpenabill you MAY want to copy and paste it on your RQ page as it is relevant to residency calculation.
KEY OBSERVATION derived from the HASHEM decision:
(see http://canlii.ca/t/hwwl2 or https://decisions.fct-cf.gc.ca/fc-cf/decisions/en/item/360603/index.do)

This decision illustrates and emphasizes that a ONE DAY SHORTFALL cannot and will NOT support a decision to grant citizenship.

There are some wrinkles in the reasoning, as there almost always are, but the essential key to this decision is the principle that there is no legal authority to grant citizenship UNLESS the applicant meets the presence requirement. Any short fall, even just ONE DAY, means the application must fail.

The wrinkles have to do with whether or not the facts and circumstances can be analyzed in a way which does NOT result in any shortfall at all.
To be clear, the HASHEM decision (see http://canlii.ca/t/hwwl2 or https://decisions.fct-cf.gc.ca/fc-cf/decisions/en/item/360603/index.do) reinforces the decisive impact of falling short, even short by one day.

There is nothing in the decision which changes things. I cannot see what policy changes are suggested let alone likely.

The observation that Hashem involves a case where "the applicant was 1 day short and the Judge approved the application" is misleading by omission. The CJ actually concluded the applicant was NOT one day short. To reach that conclusion the CJ applied a fairly creative interpretation to allow counting days between when the applicant signed and mailed the application and the date the application was received by IRCC, and by including those days the CJ concluded the applicant was present more than the minimum required. No short fall.

The problem with that was there is NO statutory-based support for the CJ's alternative approach to establishing an alternative date the application was made. So the Federal Court REJECTED the CJ's decision. Which should be NO surprise.

Short by one day is, well, SHORT. And this is a definitively mandated requirement imposed by the applicable statute. No room to navigate around this EXCEPT, UNLESS, there is a basis to factually conclude the applicant was actually present at least the minimum number of required days. That is, the only way around the fact that short by one day is short, is reason to conclude that the facts are otherwise, that the applicant was NOT short, not even by one day.

The thing is that I was so sure of my exact number of physical days (by having them checked 4 times) before sending the application and then asking 2 different friends to verify them (due to the excessive number of entries and exits) that I was surprised when I actually got an RQ. I thought that if I am really honest, IRCC would somehow be able to verify that I. (and they have not said the opposite yet either, but this lengthy process for RQ makes one to wonder what they are doing). It is just very frustrating that we have to wait this long while listening to stories of other people who have gone through the same RQs and have received much faster responses. As I said, I personally thought being very honest with IRCC (counting even single nights and addresses) would be in my benefit. This was a point that even the processing agent mentioned during the interview (that she liked the completeness and organization of the application and supporting documents). And yet, I am in a situation were I am not sure when they can confirm my physical presence days :(
I have no idea what the issues are in your case. I do not know why IRCC has identified a reason-to-question-residency in your case.

But these days RQ is NOT common. These days there are so few reports of full-blown RQ it appears to actually be fairly unusual. As I have previously observed, it seems quite likely that in cases where IRCC has issued full-blown RQ, these days, that suggests IRCC has overt suspicions. Are those suspicions well-founded? That depends on the particular facts in the individual case.

To be clear, nonetheless, it is likely you are no longer in a situation which is about "when [IRCC] can confirm [your] physical presence days," BUT in a situation which is about whether what you submitted PROVES, beyond a balance of probabilities, that you met the minimum physical present requirement.

And as I attempted to illuminate, this is NOT just about identifying dates-of-entry and next date-of-exit, but can be about PROVING you were actually present the days in-between those reported dates-of-entry and next reported date-of-exit.

Once full-blown RQ has been issued, proving dates of travel may help, but the applicant needs to SUBMIT PROOF OF ACTUAL PRESENCE IN BETWEEN DATES OF TRAVEL AS WELL.

The full-blown RQ case is NOT a routinely processed case in a very real sense, not just the sense in which processing timelines are distinguished. So how it goes will not be much illuminated by how things go in a routine case or in what one might describe as the routine non-routine case. The converse is just as true: how things go in a full-blown RQ case do not reflect or represent how things go in the routine or relatively routine non-routine cases.

Which tends to leave applicants affected by full-blown RQ in a rather lonely place.

There are good reasons why prudent PRs will make such a concerted effort to minimize the risk of RQ before applying. Been there. Done that.