+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

RQ versus Physical Presence Questionnaires, including CIT 0205

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
There are multiple threads in the forum focused on "RQ" or the "Residence Questionnaire." Including a recent thread which has been totally disrupted . . . . am hoping to consolidate relevant information toward advancing our collective understanding of these procedures, rather intrusive and inconvenient procedures.

In the meantime, it is obvious that at least some RECENT instances in which applicants are reporting getting RQ are really, rather, about getting a Physical Presence Questionnaire. A PPQ.

Thanks to a more precise report, and a couple other reports also referring to the PPQ by its formal name, we now know that IRCC is using a PPQ named "CIT 0205" titled "Physical Presence Questionnaire - Quality Assurance Exercise" at least in the context of Quality Control.

In the meantime, however, earlier reports about this form reference a CIT 0205 (05-2017) E version. In contrast, in October flyingscottie specifically referenced receiving CIT 0171 (posts quoted below). This suggests IRCC may still be using CIT 0171 when RQ (or PPQ) is issued FOR-CAUSE, that is, based on risk indicator criteria.

In any event, there are at least three versions of Questionnaires which are sent to citizenship applicants asking for more information or for documents related to the applicant's residence/presence in Canada.

These are:

-- CIT 0171 which is titled "Residence Questionnaire" (in last version I have seen), and generally known as "RQ," the full-blown RQ

-- CIT 0520 titled "Request for Documentary Evidence of your Residence in Canada" (last version I have seen) and generally known as "RQ-lite," a less extensive request for additional information and documentation

-- CIT 0205 titled "Physical Presence Questionnaire - Quality Assurance Exercise" (titled based on forum reports)

There are many open questions. Lots of unknowns.

It would be helpful to obtain additional information from applicants who have received any of these forms, or any other version of a request for further information or documents related to residence or presence.

One important question is whether this version of a so-called "Quality Assurance Exercise" is in fact random or is criteria-driven. Thus, for example, it would be helpful if those who have been issued this form can report whether the communication from IRCC specifically referred to it as "random" or not (at least one of the recent reports of "RQ" for "Quality Control" reported it was explicitly "random," but that report appears to be imprecise since it refers to "RQ" rather a "Physical Presence Questionnaire," so further clarification would be helpful).

Additionally, any and all reports as to details in any recently received RQ, PPQ, or other requests for additional presence/residence related information would be appreciated.

There have been enough reports of recently issued RQ/PPQ to indicate IRCC is sending this to a significant number of applicants. Our capacity to offer helpful information for these applicants is dependent on getting as much information about these requests as possible. Anyone who is willing to make the effort to do the ATI request for information about this process, please do so and share what you obtain.

Below I quote some of the relevant posts made in other threads.

As time permits, I hope to address this in more depth.

Some relevant posts from other topics:

The questionnaire form I got it named/ PHYSICAL PRESENCE QUESTIONNAIRE - QUALITY ASSURANCE EXERCISE "CIT 0205 (05-2017) E" and not the old link you mention it, for the a consent form you asked me was about / HISTORY OF ARRIVALS AND DEPARTURES IN THE UNITED STATES, and they want documents that support my residence for the last 4 years in Canada.
Hi everybody, I would like to ask what happens if you are asked to submit a residence questionnaire and you can not collect some of the required documents within the time frame given , eg , health records , school records. Your help is truly appreciated
I received a random quality control RQ.... not sure what triggered them to issue to me :-(

Any idea who has got this RQ .. I have some doubts want to talk/ask.
Do you suppose the standard by which those unfortunate "random quality control RQ" folks are checked is a lot less stringent than that for targeted RQs?
We received a random "Quality Assurance Exercise And Request For Additional Evidence", even though there have been no trips abroad since landing. CIT0205 (11-2017) E - Physical Presence Questionnaire - Quality Assurance Exercise, which is far more in depth than the CIT0171 (07-2014) E.

In addition, the following documents are requested:
  • Passports
  • Entry/Exit Records issued by other countries
  • Provincial/Territorial Personal Health Claims Summary
  • Rental or lease agreements
  • Letter from landlord confirming rental period
  • Property titles or Mortgage documents
  • Property tax assessments
  • Official school transcripts
  • TF Slips from CRA
  • Letters from employers describing each position held, date of hiring, work schedule
  • Records of employment from CRA
  • CRA Statements of Employment Insurance benefit periods
  • Statements of social assistance
  • Statements of disability assistance
  • 3 Letters from suppliers or clients
  • Incorporation documents
  • Advertising contracts
  • Contracts and invoices demonstrating a continuance o business activity
  • Business bank statements
  • Professional licence/membership card/permit to practice
  • A personal Canadian citizen reference who has known you for the past 2 years and can answer questions about you such as work, study, housing, sports, cultural or religious activities, volunteering
  • Fingerprints
We have 60 days from the date of the letter to respond.
Flagged for RQ after test.
The CIT 0171E form says:

Proof of employment
T-4 slip
Confirmation of employment
Record of employment
Bank/Credit card Statement

However as a sole-proprietor I don't have these. I have client contracts, invoices, income statements through my business bank accounts..... How have people navigated this?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Just trying to keep up . . . these are, I think, important clarifications about the CIT 0205:

Is the form arranged in a way which specifies which particular items the applicant is asked to submit? Yes
Is the form arranged for the applicant to check-off which items are submitted? Yes
Did the form or other parts of what you received ask you to provide information -- such as to fill out another work history, address history, or list things such as community-based activities? Yes on all counts
Did the communication from IRCC explicitly describe or refer to this as "random?" Yes
The questions are enumerated in such a way, with ample explanation, so that someone someone without property, for example, would know they were not required to provide those submissions. The same goes for other questions. I'm afraid, in my rush to brevity, I did not make that clear.
Again, thank you for this information.

In terms of format, is this similar to the RQ CIT 0171?

In the meantime, I need to attend to day-life stuff . . .

Reactions: sophon

Natan

May 22, 2015
Just trying to keep up . . . these are, I think, important clarifications about the CIT 0205:

Again, thank you for this information.

In terms of format, is this similar to the RQ CIT 0171?

In the meantime, I need to attend to day-life stuff . . .
Yes, it appears to be just an updated version of CIT0171.

srionline117

Star Member
Dec 9, 2012
Hi ....

Can any one suggest me or share your thoughts on below situation regarding submitting an ROE (record of employment) as a part of PPQ docs to be submitted ....

I found an ROE in my service Canada account. Last paid Date dec ending 2013.... that time company name is A..... from jan 1 - 2014, company A was acquired by company B and now latest name is continuing as B..... since it’s a kind of change in company name an ROE would have been submitted ..... no interruption in my job or earnings ...... so obviously my company B will not submit any ROE unless I resign or if no earnings etc ..... I took employer letter saying continuing in same Job since I joined Here & Also on letter my name was mentioned & an employee of company name B (formerly company A) ..... was mentioned in letter . ... plus other standard info in letter ......

Query :

Do I need to submit company A - ROE & write an explanation letter ?

Or

Without adding any ROE, just write an explanation letter saying no interruption in my job, earnings so my company did not Submit any ROE?

If I do the 2nd one, do you think chances are there they check with service Canada really was there an ROE or not ?

Please .

Appreciate your comments .

Reactions: Fallen_Warrior

robw

Mar 10, 2014
Hi ....

Can any one suggest me or share your thoughts on below situation regarding submitting an ROE (record of employment) as a part of PPQ docs to be submitted ....

I found an ROE in my service Canada account. Last paid Date dec ending 2013.... that time company name is A..... from jan 1 - 2014, company A was acquired by company B and now latest name is continuing as B..... since it’s a kind of change in company name an ROE would have been submitted ..... no interruption in my job or earnings ...... so obviously my company B will not submit any ROE unless I resign or if no earnings etc ..... I took employer letter saying continuing in same Job since I joined Here & Also on letter my name was mentioned & an employee of company name B (formerly company A) ..... was mentioned in letter . ... plus other standard info in letter ......

Query :

Do I need to submit company A - ROE & write an explanation letter ?

Or

Without adding any ROE, just write an explanation letter saying no interruption in my job, earnings so my company did not Submit any ROE?

If I do the 2nd one, do you think chances are there they check with service Canada really was there an ROE or not ?

Please .

Appreciate your comments .
Why are you so hung up on the ROE? As you surmised, not everyone has one and it doesn't prove anything the T4 doesn't...surely you have a T4, right?

On another note, it would be nice if someone scanned and posted up a copy of their CIT 0205. Can someone please volunteer to do that?

srionline117

Star Member
Dec 9, 2012
Why are you so hung up on the ROE? As you surmised, not everyone has one and it doesn't prove anything the T4 doesn't...surely you have a T4, right?

On another note, it would be nice if someone scanned and posted up a copy of their CIT 0205. Can someone please volunteer to do that?
Yes robw... I have All T4 given by company ... Also I asked CRA to send me those from their system ...

If you don’t mind : is it preferable to attach my companies T4 or to be received from CRA ?

robw

Mar 10, 2014
Yes robw... I have All T4 given by company ... Also I asked CRA to send me those from their system ...

If you don’t mind : is it preferable to attach my companies T4 or to be received from CRA ?
Send the T4s yourself, along with your notices are assessment.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
In addition to srionline117, posting above, in an effort to consolidate at least some of the information available in forum posts, I am quoting here some additional posts reporting recent receipt of RQ or PPQ possibly or probably related to a "Quality Assurance Exercise."

unfortunately I have also received this quality assurance document, I am wondering how long it would delay the application?
Also, what if a country dont provide entry/exit record, what should we do?
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience
Is anyone been subject for quality assurance exercise?
I applied for citizenship last August, received a letter from the local immigration office stating that I was randomly selected for quality assurance. They asked for a RCMP fingerprint, a lot of documents including addresses with landlord letter if your a tenant, property tax bill if you owned a house, entry/exit from country of origin, t4 and ROEs for the past five years... etc
Is this normal?
Spending more time on RQ than actual application .. too bad.

In my letter they said random quality check .. for compliance purpose etc.
My wife just got "randomly selected" for the "quality assurance exercise". We have had minimal travel, have lived in the same apartment since arrival, and she's worked in the same provincial government job since about 2 months after arrival (almost exactly 4 years now). Based on that, I would say hers is a low-risk application that wouldn't normally trigger heightened scrutiny, so it may actually be random.
The questionnaire is a big pain in the butt, an unpleasant expense (cheapest fingerprinting available is more than $50 with tax, and RCMP and local police no longer do the fingerprints for citizenship - only if THEY decide to fingerprint you!), and we'll probably need to pay for some of the travel records from other countries of residence, if we can get them at all (former Soviet countries tend not to be very helpful with this sort of thing).
The same here, I sent my application in October and I was selected randomly for a Quality Assurance.
Checking my passport I notice that I don't have put a trip to USA (only one day) in my Cithinzhip application. Is it considerate Misrepresentation?
They asked me a lot of document. For example the lease contract, I had a contract only from 2016 to 2017. Before I was sharing an apartment without a contract and I was paying cash. How can I prove it?
I have the bank statement ,T4, T4A ecc for all years, six months of school note, birth certificate of my 2 kids born here, Helth record, Tickets flight of my trips (without boarding pass). Do you think is it enough or not to prove my presence here?
I already ask a FOIA from USA and CBA for Canada to prove my Enter/Exit record. For my trip to France where I can apply for an Exit and Entry record?
They ask also a translation all of the stamps in my passport. If the stamp is half in English and half in a foreign language I have to translate it or not?
I know a lot of question... but I'm really worried about all these documents!
Thank you in advance for your answer.
In reviewing the various reports about questionnaires received pursuant to a Quality Control or Quality Assurance Exercise, there are obviously many questions I have not personally addressed. Most have been responded to by other participants.

There are a lot of questions to be asked as well.

Given the number of recent reports (and I recall there have been still others recently which I have not revisited nor quoted above) there is clearly a significant escalation in IRCC issuance of these Questionnaires. It could take some time, as in months, for us to figure out much about the parameters of this, and even longer to see what impact this will have on the processing timeline for the individuals affected.

I am quite surprised by this. Probably should not have been. But from what I have seen of what is requested, the CIT 0205 PPQ-QA Exercise form appears to be even more profoundly intrusive and demanding than the full blown RQ.

It is difficult to know for sure what IRCC actually expects. It is clear that the form itself lists documents to provide which many applicants will NOT have.

I believe the observations I made a few days ago, as to how to approach responding to the Questionnaire generally, are still applicable, appropriate, which I quote here:

Foremost: make a concerted, diligent effort to be as responsive as possible, and to submit what you can on time.

If you do not have some of the documents or records requested, clearly state this on a supplemental page. Clearly identify what you do not have and cannot submit. Briefly explain why.

Similarly for documents and records you cannot submit timely but can obtain. Identify them clearly. Explain why you do not have them (health records need to be obtained from XX [government body], for example), and if true, explain that a request or application has been made to obtain them, and explain that they will be submitted when they have been obtained.

Main thing is to get and submit as much as you can on time.

Especially important are documents and records which directly show --
-- occupant interest in dwelling for ALL months
-- employment or other activity for as many months as possible, ALL months during which the applicant has reported being employed (thus, for example, your own school records can be important)
But some refinements to this are obviously warranted, and again there are many other questions about this process still outstanding.

It will take a group effort to sort out what we know and reach some consensus about how to best approach responding to these questionnaires.

Note: it appears to me that some or even many of the document requests can be responded to by simply stating "NA" or "Not Applicable," with little more elaboration necessary. However, those who receive these questionnaires should nonetheless make a diligent effort to provide what is requested, AND be especially cognizant about failing to provide documents or information which could be construed to be a material omission.

Among the outstanding questions is whether or not those targeted are truly selected RANDOMLY. There are some elements which suggest the possibility of criteria-based selection. In contrast, the communication from IRCC (as those who report about this one way or the other) explicitly states it is random. I do not know. Something to examine more closely and to follow.

Moreover, as I noted previously there have been recent references which appear to specifically involve the CIT 0171 form, which suggests that the CIT 0205 form is NOT a replacement for the the RQ (CIT 0171) form but is indeed actually a different procedure. Imprecise reporting here hampers sorting this out a bit. We will just need to follow further reporting and figure this stuff out.

Reactions: sophon

kl_king

Oct 20, 2017
Moreover, as I noted previously there have been recent references which appear to specifically involve the CIT 0171 form, which suggests that the CIT 0205 form is NOT a replacement for the the RQ (CIT 0171) form but is indeed actually a different procedure. Imprecise reporting here hampers sorting this out a bit. We will just need to follow further reporting and figure this stuff out.
Is @flyingscottie the only poster here is reporting receiving the CIT 0171? This was after an interview, so from my understanding would be for the old citizenship rules. Is there a chance that CIT 0205 replaces this for all applications under the new 3/5 rules?