+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship interview got stressed

umairfood1

Aug 25, 2013
I m housewife with 3 kids 6, 5 and 2. Both elder ones are going school. My husband is back home since 1.5 years to wind his job issues and some family assignments there. I had citizenship test with 16 marks last week but in interview she asked questions. Like y my husband is out of country for so long and y I visited back home for 5 months with kids after applying for citizenship. I told the truth. She even asked that will u leave Canada after Passport I told never as that is not my intention. Then she told me that u got 16 marks and wait for our letter or email. I m stressed that what could happen?

Rigly68

Apr 16, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I m housewife with 3 kids 6, 5 and 2. Both elder ones are going school. My husband is back home since 1.5 years to wind his job issues and some family assignments there. I had citizenship test with 16 marks last week but in interview she asked questions. Like y my husband is out of country for so long and y I visited back home for 5 months with kids after applying for citizenship. I told the truth. She even asked that will u leave Canada after Passport I told never as that is not my intention. Then she told me that u got 16 marks and wait for our letter or email. I m stressed that what could happen?
I know it's hard but try to not stress too much.
What can happen is that you either receive an RQ or invitation for oath. In any way best wishes and good luck!

umairfood1

Aug 25, 2013
I know it's hard but try to not stress too much.
What can happen is that you either receive an RQ or invitation for oath. In any way best wishes and good luck!
if I receive RQ then what kind of verifications they could ask for ?

FloydCan

Star Member
Nov 17, 2017
If you have good proof of physical presence then theres nothing to worry about. I expect you will get an RQ.

umairfood1

Aug 25, 2013
If you have good proof of physical presence then theres nothing to worry about. I expect you will get an RQ.
Definitely I have prooofs in my Passport which is stamped accordingly. The only thing that disturbs me is why she asked me that will u leave after getting Passport? Secondly y u expect that I will receive any RQ?

FloydCan

Star Member
Nov 17, 2017
Definitely I have prooofs in my Passport which is stamped accordingly. The only thing that disturbs me is why she asked me that will u leave after getting Passport? Secondly y u expect that I will receive any RQ?
I could be wrong, don't dwell on my comment. Every time we think we know the process we turn out to be wrong. Her question is possibly to try to understand your ties to Canada.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
There are multiple reasons why the interviewer, a processing agent, and the Citizenship Officer might want more proof you met the physical presence requirement, ranging from continuing residency-related ties abroad to the extended absence after applying.

The emphasis is on they MIGHT want more proof. They might not. You will most likely next be scheduled for the oath IF after reviewing and assessing your information they conclude your account of days present in Canada, that is your declarations as to dates of travel outside Canada, are complete and accurate.

Chances are good there will be no problem. No RQ. No RQ-lite.

BUT since there are some reasons why they might have questions, reasons why they might want more proof, there is some chance you will be sent:
-- a request for additional residency documents, which is CIT 0520 and sometimes called RQ-lite, OR
-- a full blown RQ, that is a "Residency Questionnaire" which is CIT 0171

These are discussed in numerous topics here. Key information and documentation typically requested includes:
-- Entry/exit records from certain countries including home country
-- Documentation showing occupant/resident interest in dwelling (household) where you have been living in Canada
-- Documentation supporting your activities in Canada during the eligibility period; this is usually to show employment
-- -- in case where applicant was not employed, such as a stay-at-home parent child care-taker, documentation to show children's attendance in school and other related documentation that is evidence of the parent and children's presence in Canada​
-- Banking or other financial records which are evidence of a life being lived in Canada​

Again, chances are good you will NOT have to provide this kind of information and documentation. But you might.

The reasons why an applicant might face further questions about residency or presence have also been discussed in many other topics. I do not have time to revisit all the relevant questions in detail, but here are some which might raise questions in your case:

Obviously, most married couples live together, or at least spend a significant amount of the time together, so just the fact that a spouse is living and working abroad raises a question about how much time the applicant was abroad with the spouse.

Leaving Canada after applying, or an otherwise extended absence after applying, has long, long raised suspicions about how complete the applicant's account of presence in Canada is. This is a subject which in particular is discussed in many other topics.

An Observation about Proof:

Definitely I have prooofs in my Passport which is stamped accordingly.
Passport stamps do NOT prove much at all. At most all they prove are those very few days the applicant entered Canada, and only if the applicant's passport was stamped for that entry. Canada does not usually stamp passports when a PR leaves Canada, so stamps in a passport rarely are proof of when a PR left Canada.

Obviously, stamps showing an entry into another country do not show when a person was in Canada. They only conclusively show dates the person was outside Canada.

Stamps showing an entry into Canada do NOT prove the PR was in Canada the next day after that, let alone a week later, let alone a month later.

In most cases there is an inference the PR was in Canada from the date of a known and reported entry to the next date the PR reports and is known to exit Canada. The presence calculator works on this principle: inferring that days in-between a date of entry and next reported date of exit are days IN CANADA.

If, however, IRCC perceives reason to question the possibility the applicant was outside Canada more than reported, the applicant might not be given the benefit of this INFERENCE. The applicant can be required to provide more evidence, more proof, that he or she was actually present in Canada during those days in-between reported date of entry and next reported date of exit. Like proving the applicant went to a job in Canada regularly. Like proving the applicant maintained a household in Canada each month. Like proving the applicant's children actually attended school regularly in Canada. Like submitting financial transaction evidence showing the applicant was living a life in Canada. Like submitting documentation which shows the applicant was not in his or her home country except as reported (this would be the Entry/exit records). And so on.

Please do NOT be alarmed by this. Again, unless the interviewer had reason to suspect you were evasive or deceitful, ODDS ARE GOOD YOU ARE OK. It is their job to press you some when there are circumstances like yours, such as the spouse NOT living in Canada. I have gone into the detail above more to help you be prepared in case they do ask for more information and proof. They might. And passport stamps will not do it.

Good luck.

ZingyDNA

Champion Member
Aug 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-06-2013
AOR Received.
28-08-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
21-02-2014 (principal applicant)
Med's Done....
07-03-2014 (both, upfront for spouse)
Passport Req..
10-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2014
LANDED..........
13-06-2014
Some of the interviewing officers are trying to provoke you with certain questions you don't want to hear. If you appear to be upset or stressed, they might suspect you of something. I believe my interviewer was at least trying a bit of that, but I didn't pay much attention and simply answered her with the truth (I don't even remember most of her questions from a few weeks ago.)

So for those who will go to the interview: Relax and smile regardless of what they ask. If they appear unfriendly, think it's an act to test you! It may be hard for housewives but for those who go to job interviews a lot, this interview is very easy!

saini01

Star Member
Dec 12, 2011
Canada
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Don’t worry, my father was also asked the same question whether he will leave after getting citizenship. Though the question seemed irrelevant to me.

Zeina73

Star Member
Apr 26, 2017
Why they ask if to leave Canada I know the intention to reside here is removed from the citizenship condition

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Why they ask if to leave Canada I know the intention to reside here is removed from the citizenship condition
Because it indicates that you may have strong ties abroad. This might then indicate the possibility that the number of claimed residency days may have been "inflated". It's all about the applicant’s credibility.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Don’t worry, my father was also asked the same question whether he will leave after getting citizenship. Though the question seemed irrelevant to me.
I was asked the same thing in a very roundabout way. It was cleverly done but I recognized it for what it was.

umairfood1

Aug 25, 2013
There are multiple reasons why the interviewer, a processing agent, and the Citizenship Officer might want more proof you met the physical presence requirement, ranging from continuing residency-related ties abroad to the extended absence after applying.

The emphasis is on they MIGHT want more proof. They might not. You will most likely next be scheduled for the oath IF after reviewing and assessing your information they conclude your account of days present in Canada, that is your declarations as to dates of travel outside Canada, are complete and accurate.

Chances are good there will be no problem. No RQ. No RQ-lite.

BUT since there are some reasons why they might have questions, reasons why they might want more proof, there is some chance you will be sent:
-- a request for additional residency documents, which is CIT 0520 and sometimes called RQ-lite, OR
-- a full blown RQ, that is a "Residency Questionnaire" which is CIT 0171

These are discussed in numerous topics here. Key information and documentation typically requested includes:
-- Entry/exit records from certain countries including home country
-- Documentation showing occupant/resident interest in dwelling (household) where you have been living in Canada
-- Documentation supporting your activities in Canada during the eligibility period; this is usually to show employment
-- -- in case where applicant was not employed, such as a stay-at-home parent child care-taker, documentation to show children's attendance in school and other related documentation that is evidence of the parent and children's presence in Canada​
-- Banking or other financial records which are evidence of a life being lived in Canada​

Again, chances are good you will NOT have to provide this kind of information and documentation. But you might.

The reasons why an applicant might face further questions about residency or presence have also been discussed in many other topics. I do not have time to revisit all the relevant questions in detail, but here are some which might raise questions in your case:

Obviously, most married couples live together, or at least spend a significant amount of the time together, so just the fact that a spouse is living and working abroad raises a question about how much time the applicant was abroad with the spouse.

Leaving Canada after applying, or an otherwise extended absence after applying, has long, long raised suspicions about how complete the applicant's account of presence in Canada is. This is a subject which in particular is discussed in many other topics.

An Observation about Proof:

Passport stamps do NOT prove much at all. At most all they prove are those very few days the applicant entered Canada, and only if the applicant's passport was stamped for that entry. Canada does not usually stamp passports when a PR leaves Canada, so stamps in a passport rarely are proof of when a PR left Canada.

Obviously, stamps showing an entry into another country do not show when a person was in Canada. They only conclusively show dates the person was outside Canada.

Stamps showing an entry into Canada do NOT prove the PR was in Canada the next day after that, let alone a week later, let alone a month later.

In most cases there is an inference the PR was in Canada from the date of a known and reported entry to the next date the PR reports and is known to exit Canada. The presence calculator works on this principle: inferring that days in-between a date of entry and next reported date of exit are days IN CANADA.

If, however, IRCC perceives reason to question the possibility the applicant was outside Canada more than reported, the applicant might not be given the benefit of this INFERENCE. The applicant can be required to provide more evidence, more proof, that he or she was actually present in Canada during those days in-between reported date of entry and next reported date of exit. Like proving the applicant went to a job in Canada regularly. Like proving the applicant maintained a household in Canada each month. Like proving the applicant's children actually attended school regularly in Canada. Like submitting financial transaction evidence showing the applicant was living a life in Canada. Like submitting documentation which shows the applicant was not in his or her home country except as reported (this would be the Entry/exit records). And so on.

Please do NOT be alarmed by this. Again, unless the interviewer had reason to suspect you were evasive or deceitful, ODDS ARE GOOD YOU ARE OK. It is their job to press you some when there are circumstances like yours, such as the spouse NOT living in Canada. I have gone into the detail above more to help you be prepared in case they do ask for more information and proof. They might. And passport stamps will not do it.

Good luck.
I m really obliged with your detailed reply. I wish the things will go in similar directions as you mentioned. I will keep you updated.