+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about new Public policy for PGWP extention.

Kk kabobo

Star Member
May 27, 2019
Agreed. There is no question that anyone with PGWP residing in Canada can apply for this extension under the new policy. However we are in a situation where we have our PR application in process and facing delays because of Covid 19. We were wondering whether we should apply for a BOWP or for extension under this new policy. It’s confusing lol
Yes is really confusing
My worry is that the BOWP has implied status which will allow me to work when my permit expires and the BOWP is yet to be approved.
My question is, does the new public policy have implied status?

RcKr

Jan 27, 2021
Agreed. There is no question that anyone with PGWP residing in Canada can apply for this extension under the new policy. However we are in a situation where we have our PR application in process and facing delays because of Covid 19. We were wondering whether we should apply for a BOWP or for extension under this new policy. It’s confusing lol
I would say for sure this new policy. Primarily because it is mutually exclusive to PR application. For BOWP, for instance, if your PR application for some reason gets rejected, it's possible that BOWP would be too (even after the R10 completeness check pass). I too am in the same boat with my CEC application. Looking at the timelines, I am unsure if PR would be processed before the WP expires and I would opt for this new policy for OWP extension rather than BOWP.

RcKr

Jan 27, 2021
Yes is really confusing
My worry is that the BOWP has implied status which will allow me to work when my permit expires and the BOWP is yet to be approved.
Even this option should have implied status IMO. (not 100% sure about this though :()

RcKr

Jan 27, 2021
Yes is really confusing
Also, saw this post in the cic page. Essentially this is an extension of the PGWP before your current PGWP expires right? So by that logic, it should have implied status as per this - https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=188&top=17

RcKr

Jan 27, 2021
I think it will have implied status. Btw do you know if for this one we apply just as normal? Like through the normal immigration extend document for WP?
In my understanding, it should be very similar with that extra letter stating that's its for OWP for the public policy. Rest should be standard. However, I haven't really checked the application, so I am not sure if there is anything extra :(. Hopefully, someone who has applied would provide some insights.

CripplingYogi194

Jul 29, 2018
I think it will have implied status. Btw do you know if for this one we apply just as normal? Like through the normal immigration extend document for WP?
Implied status if you are on a work permit but if you are on visitor, unless they state something, I dont think we do have implied status right?

Ryne26

Jan 27, 2021
Hello all,

When i try to apply online under this new policy and put the dates of when my status has expired it is giving me the following error:
Your status in Canada expired over 90 days ago.
You cannot apply for restoration of status and are no longer allowed to stay in Canada.

Anyone has any idea? My pgwp expired in September

RcKr

Jan 27, 2021
Implied status if you are on a work permit but if you are on visitor, unless they state something, I dont think we do have implied status right?
yes, I agree. if on WP, you continue to be that, a visitor would be visitor still? Yea, that's why it's explicitly not mentioned. But if you were on a valid PGWP before you apply, then it should be that you can continue to work on that once you apply.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello all,

When i try to apply online under this new policy and put the dates of when my status has expired it is giving me the following error:
Your status in Canada expired over 90 days ago.
You cannot apply for restoration of status and are no longer allowed to stay in Canada.

Anyone has any idea? My pgwp expired in September
So what is your status now?

Ryne26

Jan 27, 2021
I don’t have any status. I have applied for BOWP in December but this is a better option.

you didn’t answer what I asked for?

nvgajera37@gmail.com

Star Member
Feb 12, 2016
Hi there,

I have confused to choose questions 3 in imm5710e form which is for PGWP extension under new public policy.

My work permit will expired on March 2021 so which option should I have to select?

1) An initial work permit or a work permit with a new employer or 2) Restoration status as worker

Thanks in advance.

chpraveen52

Star Member
Jul 23, 2016
Hi there,

I have confused to choose questions 3 in imm5710e form which is for PGWP extension under new public policy.

My work permit will expired on March 2021 so which option should I have to select?

1) An initial work permit or a work permit with a new employer or 2) Restoration status as worker

Thanks in advance.
Answer : 1