+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about new Public policy for PGWP extention.

Jan 8, 2021
My question is in regards to the new public policy for the extension of PGWP. I have completed a 2-year program(Canada) in 2018 and hold PGWP until Feb 2021. In Nov 2020, I have applied for a study permit application as I took admission in a college. My semester suppose to start on Jan 18, 2020. I still haven't received approval for my study permit application. My question to you is that with the announcement of this new policy. Should I withdraw my application for the study permit? Does my study permit application can affect my application for an extension of PGWP under this policy? My priority is to get a work permit and PR. My current CRS score is 436 with 2-year Canadian experience.

Jan 8, 2021
What if my study permit approves. So i would have PGWP valid until Feb, 2021 and SP until 2023.

Would i will be still eligible to apply under this new policy for extension of PGWP?

assen89

Jun 30, 2017
What if my study permit approves. So i would have PGWP valid until Feb, 2021 and SP until 2023.

Would i will be still eligible to apply under this new policy for extension of PGWP?
To apply for an open work permit under the public policy, an applicant must
  • have a PGWP that expired on or after January 30, 2020, or a PGWP that expires in 4 months or less from the date they apply to still be in Canada
    • Applications will be open from January 27 to July 27, 2021.

Only applies if your post graduate work permit expired the month of January we currently are in or expiring 4 months before July 27,2021. Then you will be able to apply for 18 months extension.

Jan 8, 2021
  • have a PGWP that expired on or after January 30, 2020, or a PGWP that expires in 4 months or less from the date they apply to still be in Canada

Only applies if your post graduate work permit expired in January or expiring 4 months before July 27,2021. Then you will be able to apply for 18 months extension. I guess July 27, 2021 is when they expect things to go back to normal.
Yes, I think I am eligible under new policy as my PGWP will expire on Feb 2021. My concern is should I withdraw my study permit application or not?

assen89

Jun 30, 2017
Yes, I think I am eligible under new policy as my PGWP will expire on Feb 2021. My concern is should I withdraw my study permit application or not?
You can hold a study permit and work permit as well. The only condition is that is that the institution you enrol to study in is on a part-time basis.

I have a work permit and study permit. They approved my study permit that enabled me to enrol in the CPA accounting program part-time, while I worked full-time.

If you enrolled in a full-time program, you will have to withdraw your study permit application.

Jan 8, 2021
You can hold a study permit and work permit as well. The only condition is that is that the institution you enrol to study is on a part-time basis.

I have a work permit and study permit. They approved my study permit that enabled me to enrol in the CPA accounting program part-time, while I worked full-time.
Thanks for the info. I am enrolled in fulltime program. Can i work full time and study full time at same time if i have valid study and work permit?

Jan 8, 2021
You can hold a study permit and work permit as well. The only condition is that is that the institution you enrol to study in is on a part-time basis.

If you enrolled in a full-time program, you will have to withdraw your study permit application.
My main concern is that i don't want to miss the opportunity to get PGWP extended under new policy because of the study permit application or study permit? Can anyone answer this please

assen89

Jun 30, 2017
Thanks for the info. I am enrolled in fulltime program. Can i work full time and study full time at same time if i have valid study and work permit?
From what I know you can't enrol in a full-time program and also obtain a work permit. You are free to do so once you obtain your permanent residency.

For example the CPA accounting program is a post graduate program that is required if you want to become a Chartered Accountant and that is why it is approved by CIC. The program also requires you to work full-time.

If you enrolled in a Masters program for example and also applied for a work permit extension. Your application for work permit extension will likely be rejected.

Last edited:

CripplingYogi194

Jul 29, 2018
You should not attend the new program and your study permit will be void automatically. Usually institutions inform the immigration of students who withdrew or do not attend. I would withdraw from the program to be eligible for the new pgwp

cycy_304

Star Member
Jun 30, 2020

Only applies if your post graduate work permit expired the month of January we currently are in or expiring 4 months before July 27,2021. Then you will be able to apply for 18 months extension.
Could u confirm if people with PGWP expired 4 months before or after July 27, 2021 are eligible? My understanding is the application period is between Jan 27 and July 27 so, let's say someone who has PGWP expired on Nov 27 at the latest could apply because their WP is going to expire in 4 months since the time they apply (Jul 27). Thank u.

kumar29

Aug 29, 2017
Hi, my CEC category PR application is still in progress, and having 2Year+ of Canadian experience. Here is my PGWP status:

PGWP issue date 11-Sept-2018
PGWP going to expire on 28-Mar-2021, due to old passport validity.

Can I apply for this PGWP 18 months extension?

assen89

Jun 30, 2017
Hi, my CEC category PR application is still in progress, and having 2Year+ of Canadian experience. Here is my PGWP status:

PGWP issue date 11-Sept-2018
PGWP going to expire on 28-Mar-2021, due to old passport validity.

Can I apply for this PGWP 18 months extension?
Yes, you can apply for the 18 months extension as you meet the requirements.

PGWP is for three years, so when you renew your passport and apply for the extension your work permit will be valid until September 11, 2021. There is a more than likely possibility they will grant you a 24 month extension(18 months under the new policy and the additional 6 months remaining on your old work permit when you renew your passport)

Last edited: