Champion Member
Mar 25, 2014
Category........
CEC
LANDED..........
02-May 2015
Hi
I have 2 question.
I'm canadian citizen and in process of legal name change(alberta), just wondering is there any option for submit proof of certificate online? I saw checklist which mentioned paper file or online submission.
If yes can you please share link or process for online submission.

Secondly is it illegal to travel with old name( old canadian passport but new name on all other id's) until you get new passport ?

Thanks
1- As per I know there is no process of online submission of Proof of citizenship
2- Yes it is legal to travel with your old name as you can not change the PP with new name (without proof of certificate) and all agencies know this fact

Good Luck

Reactions: visaforca
Feb 1, 2020
Hello, everyone! My father who is a U.S. citizen was born in Quebec and did not have a birth certificate. I was able to obtain one using his baptismal certificate and then submitted my own proof of citizenship application to Canada.

Mailed August 8, 2019
Received August 22, 2019
Acknowledged November 6, 2019

Still processing.

My brother's application was returned because the photocopy of his birth certificate was not color. So be careful!

Good luck to all.

Reactions: Gemt2014

Gemt2014

Star Member
Dec 23, 2014
Hello, everyone! My father who is a U.S. citizen was born in Quebec and did not have a birth certificate. I was able to obtain one using his baptismal certificate and then submitted my own proof of citizenship application to Canada.

Mailed August 8, 2019
Received August 22, 2019

Still processing.

My brother's application was returned because the photocopy of his birth certificate was not color. So be careful!

Good luck to all.
My application status is similar to you

Mailed August 16, 2019
Received August 22, 2019
Acknowledged November 5, 2019

Still processing.

I have dialed CIC on 29-01-2020 and got a reply as they are start working now on the application which was received on 24 August 2019 .

Reactions: IrishCanadianYank

Hossto

Star Member
Sep 1, 2010
App. Filed.......
29/06/2010
Hi everyone!
thank you all for sharing your time lines
I applied for name change urgently (serious family illness) and received the new certificate yesterday Feb 10th.
This is my time line:
  1. We received your application for a citizenship certificate (proof of Canadian citizenship) on January 27, 2020.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on January 29, 2020.
  3. We started processing your application on January 30, 2020.
  4. We sent your citizenship certificate on January 31, 2020 to: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX. If your certificate was sent to a Canadian embassy, high commission or consulate, you will be contacted when it arrives. Mailing times will vary by region and could take up to four months. If we have sent your certificate to the wrong address, please contact us.
  5. the whole urgent process takes almost 2 weeks. now I am heading to passport office for urgent application.

koeks525

Star Member
Dec 20, 2019

Mailed August 16, 2019
Received August 22, 2019

Still processing.

I have dialed CIC on 29-01-2020 and got a reply as they are start working now on the application which was received on 24 August 2019 .
Interesting. So it takes IRCC about +- 3 months to send you the AOR. I applied and I am still waiting for an AOR to be sent to me. Sent my application to High Commission on the 28th October 2019 ( from Pretoria, South Africa). I emailed IRCC via the web form; they responded and said they currently processing applications that were received before the 1st November 2019 (this response came on the 6th February 2020).

Hoping in Febuary I get the AOR... its gonna be 4 months, end of Feb 2020.

Gemt2014

Star Member
Dec 23, 2014
Got reply today of my web form enquiry;

Thank you for contacting Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

We verified the information you provided and have forwarded it to the responsible office.

They will contact you if further information is required or if a decision is made on your application.

We hope the information provided is helpful in assisting you with your enquiry.

princecharles77

Star Member
Feb 15, 2020

Mailed August 16, 2019
Received August 22, 2019

Still processing.

thank you for posting the CIC info re: them working on apps received on 24 AUG 2019! been waiting since SEP 2019 with an AOR and nothing after that, so this is good news!

princecharles77

Star Member
Feb 15, 2020

Mailed August 8, 2019
Received August 22, 2019

Still processing.

Good luck to all.
how long after your brother sent his information was it returned? thanks!

Gemt2014

Star Member
Dec 23, 2014
  1. We received your application for a citizenship certificate (proof of Canadian citizenship) on July 15, 2019.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on September 17, 2019.
Thanks for your status update.Are you applying for a name change in your citizenship certificate?

sasa19091

Feb 14, 2012
Hello everyone,

I also filed for proof of citizenships(name change) on August 22,2018.I received my AOR on November 06,2019.My 5 month estimated time is about to get over in couple of days.I have some travel plans coming up in 3 weeks and already booked tickets on new name.Anyone had any experience with this?? Should i file urgent processing on basis of booked airline ticket?? Any information will be appreciated TIA
Wondering if you got this sorted out, was the booked airline ticket a valid reason for urgent processing? I am kinda in the same boat and it has been 8 months already for a name change under normal processing and so far when I inquire about the status of the application, I get generic replies

koeks525

Star Member
Dec 20, 2019
I contacted the high commission to inquire when my application was sent to Canada... The team there were really nice to let me know they had sent my application to Canada on the 7th November 2019. Early February 2019, I mailed the IRCC again to ask if they have received the application; they said the application is not in the system yet, and the office responsibile for these applications is currently processing processing applications received before the 1st November 2019. The wait for the AOR is so long... hoping early March 2020 I get it.

I'm applying for the first time / original copy for citizenship by descent.
Hey!!

Also in the same boat... applying for Proof of Citizenship by descent, first time applying.

Reactions: princecharles77