+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of Citizenship timeline

k300k3

Mar 6, 2019
Np. They don't take away the old one. They cancel it and give it back to you.
Read the instructions on the application carefully so the process can go smoothly.
Check my timeline but I believe mine took less than 4 months from start to finish.
I’m also in the process of changing name. My question is :

Can we travel outside of Canada with valid Canadian passport while the new citizenship certificate is in process?

Because right now, the average time to receive the proof of citizenship certificate is 5 months. So do we need to stay in Canada for 5 months or the whole time while the application for certificate is in process ?

Mr.Murphy

Sep 25, 2019
Hello everyone,

I also filed for proof of citizenships(name change) on August 22,2018.I received my AOR on November 06,2019.My 5 month estimated time is about to get over in couple of days.I have some travel plans coming up in 3 weeks and already booked tickets on new name.Anyone had any experience with this?? Should i file urgent processing on basis of booked airline ticket?? Any information will be appreciated TIA

k300k3

Mar 6, 2019
Hello everyone,

I also filed for proof of citizenships(name change) on August 22,2018.I received my AOR on November 06,2019.My 5 month estimated time is about to get over in couple of days.I have some travel plans coming up in 3 weeks and already booked tickets on new name.Anyone had any experience with this?? Should i file urgent processing on basis of booked airline ticket?? Any information will be appreciated TIA
You mean you filed for the proof of citizenship on Aug 22, 2019 ? Not 2018, right ?

Not sure if you can request urgent processing. But this is what I found out after I called the passport program. The agent told me that the passport program will only update your information and issue the new passport based on what you provide. So basically, you can still travel with your valid passport under the old name IF
i). you haven’t submitted the updated citizenship certificate with the new name to the passport office AND
ii). if your passport with old name is still valid and hasn’t been cancelled

However, the agent added that you need to check with the airlines and the embassies of the countries you will be going to because they might not let you in if your other photo IDs have new name and your passport has an old name which is different from the new one.

Pease keep us updated with your situation.

Mr.Murphy

Sep 25, 2019
You mean you filed for the proof of citizenship on Aug 22, 2019 ? Not 2018, right ?

Not sure if you can request urgent processing. But this is what I found out after I called the passport program. The agent told me that the passport program will only update your information and issue the new passport based on what you provide. So basically, you can still travel with your valid passport under the old name IF
i). you haven’t submitted the updated citizenship certificate with the new name to the passport office AND
ii). if your passport with old name is still valid and hasn’t been cancelled

However, the agent added that you need to check with the airlines and the embassies of the countries you will be going to because they might not let you in if your other photo IDs have new name and your passport has an old name which is different from the new one.

Pease keep us updated with your situation.
Yea my bad its 22 August,2019

dee365

May 28, 2015
1. We received your application for a citizenship certificate (proof of Canadian citizenship) on July 25, 2018.

2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on August 15, 2018.

3. We sent your citizenship certificate on December 12, 2019 to: Address. If your certificate was sent to a Canadian embassy, high commission or consulate, you will be contacted when it arrives. Mailing times will vary by region and could take up to four months. If we have sent your certificate to the wrong address, please contact us.

Thank you to everybody support and encouragement.

Hawk thank you very much. Your comment was wonderful.

Resullence, i hope you get a positive response soon.

Everybody please hang-on. To would turn out positive.

Domisky, thanks for the encouragement.

Total time from receipt at Nova Scotia is about 19.5 months
After your name change when you go on ECAS do you put your new name

visaforca

Star Member
May 25, 2014
Calgary
Hello
Can we link Proof of Citizenship application with my account to check status?
I 'm unable to link because there is no option for link under name change,only shows lost/destroy or stolen options.

sasa19091

Feb 14, 2012
Hello everyone,

Did you try to call them and inquire about the reason for delay and may be ask them if tickets booked under the new name would qualify you for urgent processing. It has been 7 months for me so far - to change the name as well - and I called several times and have only been told they currently have a bigger work load which is causing the delay. But I am not sure how much more this will take and the call centre doesn’t have any further info.

sasa19091

Feb 14, 2012
Hello
Can we link Proof of Citizenship application with my account to check status?
I 'm unable to link because there is no option for link under name change,only shows lost/destroy or stolen options.
I am not sure about linking the application... but once you receive the AOR .... you can use the UCI or application number that you will receive in the AOR Email to check on your application status through this link https://services3.cic.gc.ca/ecas/introduction.do?app=ecas
Hope that helps and good luck with your application!

Reactions: visaforca

CEC_1304

Champion Member
Mar 25, 2014
Category........
CEC
LANDED..........
02-May 2015
Hello everyone,

I was in your situation

I booked ticket by new name thinking estimated tie is 5 month
So before 1 week of travel (When i realized i will not get New certificate and also after that i need to apply for new PP ) i called airlines and asked them to change the ticket details with my old name , few airlines support name change in ticket like Air Canada Does.

Good luck

CEC_1304

Champion Member
Mar 25, 2014
Category........
CEC
LANDED..........
02-May 2015
I’m also in the process of changing name. My question is :

Can we travel outside of Canada with valid Canadian passport while the new citizenship certificate is in process?

Because right now, the average time to receive the proof of citizenship certificate is 5 months. So do we need to stay in Canada for 5 months or the whole time while the application for certificate is in process ?
you can travel outside of Canada using your old PP

Reactions: k300k3

CEC_1304

Champion Member
Mar 25, 2014
Category........
CEC
LANDED..........
02-May 2015
Quick question
After name change process, I have to change all ID's then I have to apply for Proof of Certificate or can apply only with name change certificate and old name ID's?
Just follow Check list and provide only those doc which is asked , don't provide any thing extra

Form is straight forward

Reactions: visaforca