+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of Citizenship timeline

mnlcva8891

Oct 28, 2018
Trying to get an idea of how long it will take to receive my citizenship certificate.
I'd like to hear back from those who recently went through this, or going through this.

I mailed mine from within Canada and it was received in NS on April 1st.
I guess it is too early for an AOR but every time I call to see if they received it, they don't even have a temp file number nor they can look it up using my receipt number.

Please note, I am not asking about a grant of citizenship. This is for people who are already Canadians and need to get proof of their citizenship.

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
Trying to get an idea of how long it will take to receive my citizenship certificate.
I'd like to hear back from those who recently went through this, or going through this.

I mailed mine from within Canada and it was received in NS on April 1st.
I guess it is too early for an AOR but every time I call to see if they received it, they don't even have a temp file number nor they can look it up using my receipt number.

Please note, I am not asking about a grant of citizenship. This is for people who are already Canadians and need to get proof of their citizenship.
Straight from the website https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/check-processing-times.html

Citizenship certificate (proof of citizenship)

5 months

Reactions: Benrickjane

mnlcva8891

Oct 28, 2018
You reckon people who went through this did it in less than 5 month? The stats do come from somewhere..
Thought I made my point clear before...
I would like to hear from people on this message board, how long it took them for this specific application (much like other threads with timelines for other applications). I am very well aware of the stats posted on CIC, but we all know these stats are far from accurate.

Thank you for googling it tho.

waitstartedaug13

Aug 24, 2013
App. Filed.......
24-01-2019
I am wondering what is the reason for applying for proof of citizenship.Can’t we get during/after oath ceremony when the citizenship grant application is approved ?

mnlcva8891

Oct 28, 2018
I am wondering what is the reason for applying for proof of citizenship.Can’t we get during/after oath ceremony when the citizenship grant application is approved ?
Replace damaged/lost old certificate
Change name on an old certificate (My case)
Many people are Canadians by descent but need proof so they can claim benefits.

Reactions: Sezar_Canada

Rullence

Star Member
Nov 4, 2018
Im canadian by descent. Applied through the embassy to which i am physically located on nov 28 2018. Application received on dec 18 2018 and AOR dated January 28 2019. No update since. I am checking ecas daily hoping to see "in process".

mnlcva8891

Oct 28, 2018
Im canadian by descent. Applied through the embassy to which i am physically located on nov 28 2018. Application received on dec 18 2018 and AOR dated January 28 2019. No update since. I am checking ecas daily hoping to see "in process".
Hopefully you hear something back soon. From the looks of it, Applications from outside Canada and the US tend to take little longer. Hang in there tho.

Reactions: Rullence

mnlcva8891

Oct 28, 2018
Is it possible to get a temp file number before we get an AOR. Mine was received two weeks ago and every time I call, they don't have a temp file number.